The Low Carb Diabetic

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.


Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

    Low Carb Fish and Chips

    Share
    avatar
    Jan1
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Female Posts : 4027
    Join date : 2014-08-13

    Low Carb Fish and Chips

    Post by Jan1 on Tue Oct 21 2014, 16:45



    If you love fish and chips, especially on a Friday night. There's no reason why you should miss out just because you have diabetes.......so says fellow forum member Lisa on her Diabetic Alien Blog. I've used many of her words and pictures for this lovely low carb meal.  

    As always, low carbing usually just means using alternative ingredients. So, instead of potatoes, use celeriac/celery root.

    How to prepare - peel the skin with a knife (a peeler will peel it too thin) and cut off all the gnarly bits. Slice into chips and microwave for 4 minutes until just tender.

    Spread the chips on baking paper and smear with butter or olive oil. Sprinkle with garlic powder, onion powder, paprika and salt. Bake until golden, then flip each chip over and sprinkle again and bake.



    The fish Lisa used was barramundi, which she coated in coconut flour and shallow fried. To serve - sprinkle with lemon pepper, a lemon wedge and tartare sauce.  Celeriac contains only 3 grams of carbs per 100 grams. And no horrible stodgy feeling in the stomach after eating either.

    What a fantastic recipe idea ....thanks Lisa Smile

    The Diabetic Alien Blog is here http://diabeticalien.blogspot.co.uk/

    Happy Low Carb Eating Everyone  sunny

    All the best Jan
    avatar
    Jan1
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Female Posts : 4027
    Join date : 2014-08-13

    Re: Low Carb Fish and Chips

    Post by Jan1 on Sun Nov 02 2014, 20:21

    .....well I'm going to bump this post up !

    If anyone is thinking about serving 'chips' during this week please keep in mind celeriac chips.

    They are just so good Smile

    All the best Jan
    avatar
    Paul1976
    Moderator

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Male Posts : 2431
    Join date : 2014-08-12
    Age : 41
    Location : East midlands,UK

    Re: Low Carb Fish and Chips

    Post by Paul1976 on Sun Nov 02 2014, 20:35

    @Jan1 wrote:.....well I'm going to bump this post up !

    If anyone is thinking about serving 'chips' during this week please keep in mind celeriac chips.

    They are just so good Smile

    All the best Jan

    Agreed! I sometimes just knock up some on their own simply seasoned with salt and some sour cream to dip them in as a snack. Smile Just make sure you have a good,sharp knife for chopping the celeriac as it's harder to chop than potato but worth the effort. Smile


    _________________
    Illegitimi non carborundum
    avatar
    Mud Island Dweller
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Female Posts : 228
    Join date : 2014-08-14
    Age : 55
    Location : Mud Island

    Re: Low Carb Fish and Chips

    Post by Mud Island Dweller on Sun Nov 02 2014, 20:53

    Passed this to hub thanks he does celariac chips but a bit soggy he says he parboils them l think that may be the problem. He will have to go against all instincts and use the microwave.
    avatar
    Jan1
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Female Posts : 4027
    Join date : 2014-08-13

    Re: Low Carb Fish and Chips

    Post by Jan1 on Sun Nov 02 2014, 21:03

    @Mud Island Dweller wrote:Passed this to hub thanks he does celariac chips but a bit soggy he says he parboils them l think that may be the problem. He will have to go against all instincts and use the microwave.



    Will you or hub please give microwave a try and let us know what you think. Lisa the original recipe poster always microwaves first.

    I also like roast celeriac as another option ..... sunny

    All the best Jan
    avatar
    Mud Island Dweller
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Female Posts : 228
    Join date : 2014-08-14
    Age : 55
    Location : Mud Island

    Re: Low Carb Fish and Chips

    Post by Mud Island Dweller on Mon Nov 03 2014, 04:50

    Long standing argument he doesnt even like it if l do him a hot milk as l microwave not pan heat it
    avatar
    Andy12345
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Male Posts : 1637
    Join date : 2014-08-14
    Age : 47
    Location : Surrey

    Re: Low Carb Fish and Chips

    Post by Andy12345 on Mon Nov 03 2014, 07:16

    i hate fish but that picture makes me wanna try it lol
    avatar
    mo1905
    Moderator

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Male Posts : 2303
    Join date : 2014-08-10
    Location : Cambs

    Re: Low Carb Fish and Chips

    Post by mo1905 on Mon Nov 03 2014, 08:32

    It looks lovely but never tried celeriac. I guess you could use parsnip ? Love those.


    _________________
    Type1, Humalog and Solostar, Metformin, Lisinopril ( BP ), last HbA1C 41 ( 5.9% ), 20th Oct 2014, HbA1C 43 ( 6.1% ) 9th Mar 2015.
    avatar
    Eddie
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Male Posts : 3722
    Join date : 2014-08-13
    Age : 67
    Location : London

    Re: Low Carb Fish and Chips

    Post by Eddie on Mon Nov 03 2014, 09:06

    Celeriac is one of the lowcarb mega stars. Much tastier than potatoes, lowcarb and unlike other root vegetables, which store a large amount of starch, celery root is only about 5-6% starch by weight. Collins Gem calorie counter states flesh only boiled 1.9 grams of carb per 100 grams.

    Celeriac may be used raw or cooked. It has a tough, furrowed, outer surface which is usually sliced off before use because it is too rough to peel. Celeriac has a celery flavour, and is often used as a flavouring in soups and stews; it can also be used on its own, usually mashed, or used in casseroles, gratins and baked dishes. It can be roasted like a potato, giving it a crispy edge.

    Celeriac is not available in some supermarkets. I get ours from Waitrose who sell two types ordinary and organic.


    Celeriac Dauphinoise
    1 celeriac
    300ml double cream
    100 grams mature cheddar cheese, grated (optional)
    Dried mixed herbs, salt and pepper to taste.
    Optional 2 cloves garlic

    Cut the celeriac into quarters then peel. Slice the celeriac into 5 mm thick pieces. Place a layer in a baking dish and add some double cream and dried herbs, salt and pepper. Continue layering up. Place in a hot oven 200 centigrade and cook for 40-45 minutes. Remove from oven and add a layer of grated cheddar cheese (optional). Place back in oven and cook until cheese is golden brown. Serves 4


    One of our favourite foods this dish goes with anything, meat, fish and even tastes great warmed up for breakfast with a couple of poached eggs and some mushrooms, or try with some kippers, great grub at anytime for sure and won’t raise BG.

    Eddie


    _________________
    Type two diabetic-low carb diet (50 carbs per day) and two 500mg Metformin pills per day. Apart from diagnosis HbA1c almost 12-all HbA1c results none diabetic. For over eight years my diabetes medication has not changed. My weight has remained stable, I have suffered no ill effects from my diet whatsoever. Every blood test has proved, I took the right road to my diabetic salvation. For almost seven years, I have asked medical professionals and naysayers, how do I maintain non diabetic BG levels on two Metformin other than low carb ? The silence has been deafening !
    avatar
    mo1905
    Moderator

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Male Posts : 2303
    Join date : 2014-08-10
    Location : Cambs

    Re: Low Carb Fish and Chips

    Post by mo1905 on Mon Nov 03 2014, 09:10

    Cheers Eddie, I'll defy give it a try !


    _________________
    Type1, Humalog and Solostar, Metformin, Lisinopril ( BP ), last HbA1C 41 ( 5.9% ), 20th Oct 2014, HbA1C 43 ( 6.1% ) 9th Mar 2015.

    carty
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Posts : 22
    Join date : 2014-10-13
    Location : Lancashire

    Re: Low Carb Fish and Chips

    Post by carty on Mon Nov 03 2014, 10:06

    Celeriac makes brilliant roasties ,cut into chunks and roasted in the oven just like roasted potatoes I roast mine in coconut oil
    CAROL
    avatar
    Jan1
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Female Posts : 4027
    Join date : 2014-08-13

    Re: Low Carb Fish and Chips

    Post by Jan1 on Mon Nov 03 2014, 15:51

    @carty wrote:Celeriac makes brilliant roasties ,cut into chunks and roasted in the oven just like roasted potatoes I roast mine in coconut oil
      CAROL


    Just love celeriac roasties .....just think before we discovered the huge benefits of eating LCHF celeriac wasn't even on the menu plan. It is also becoming much more widely available in the shops/supermarkets.

    Jan flower
    avatar
    Jan1
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Female Posts : 4027
    Join date : 2014-08-13

    Re: Low Carb Fish and Chips

    Post by Jan1 on Thu Jan 22 2015, 20:32

    @Jan1 wrote:

    If you love fish and chips, especially on a Friday night. There's no reason why you should miss out just because you have diabetes.......so says fellow forum member Lisa on her Diabetic Alien Blog. I've used many of her words and pictures for this lovely low carb meal.  

    As always, low carbing usually just means using alternative ingredients. So, instead of potatoes, use celeriac/celery root.

    How to prepare - peel the skin with a knife (a peeler will peel it too thin) and cut off all the gnarly bits. Slice into chips and microwave for 4 minutes until just tender.

    Spread the chips on baking paper and smear with butter or olive oil. Sprinkle with garlic powder, onion powder, paprika and salt. Bake until golden, then flip each chip over and sprinkle again and bake.



    The fish Lisa used was barramundi, which she coated in coconut flour and shallow fried. To serve - sprinkle with lemon pepper, a lemon wedge and tartare sauce.  Celeriac contains only 3 grams of carbs per 100 grams. And no horrible stodgy feeling in the stomach after eating either.

    What a fantastic recipe idea ....thanks Lisa Smile

    The Diabetic Alien Blog is here http://diabeticalien.blogspot.co.uk/

    Happy Low Carb Eating Everyone  sunny

    All the best Jan

    Hey it's Friday tomorrow and many enjoy a fish dish.

    How about this one - it's great low carb food.

    All the best Jan
    avatar
    mo1905
    Moderator

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Male Posts : 2303
    Join date : 2014-08-10
    Location : Cambs

    Re: Low Carb Fish and Chips

    Post by mo1905 on Thu Jan 22 2015, 20:53

    Looks proper tasty ! Thanks Jan !


    _________________
    Type1, Humalog and Solostar, Metformin, Lisinopril ( BP ), last HbA1C 41 ( 5.9% ), 20th Oct 2014, HbA1C 43 ( 6.1% ) 9th Mar 2015.

      Current date/time is Wed Jul 26 2017, 07:49