THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

3 posters

Beta cells do not replicate after the age of 30.

Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Beta cells do not replicate after the age of 30. Empty Beta cells do not replicate after the age of 30.

Post by Eddie Fri Oct 17 2014, 14:55

Beta cells, which make insulin in the human body, do not replicate after the age of 30, indicating that clinicians may be closer to better treating diabetes. Type 1 diabetes is caused by a loss of beta cells by auto-immunity while type 2 is due to a relative insufficiency of beta cells. Whether beta cells replicate after birth has remained an open issue, and is critically important for designing therapies for diabetes.

By using radioactive carbon-14 produced by above-ground nuclear testing in the 1950s and '60s, researchers have determined that the number of beta cells remains static after age 30.
    Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory scientist Bruce Buchholz, with collaborators from the National Institutes of Health, used two methods to examine adult human beta cell turnover and longevity.

Using LLNL's Center for Accelerator Mass Spectrometry, Buchholz measured the amount of carbon 14 in DNA in beta cells and discovered that after age 30, the body does not create any new beta cells, thus decreasing the capacity to produce insulin as a person ages. Carbon 14 atmospheric concentration levels remained relatively stable until the Cold War, when above-ground nuclear bomb tests caused a sharp increase, or peak, which decreased slowly after the end of above-ground testing in 1963. This spike in carbon 14 in the atmosphere serves as a chronometer of the past 57 years.

Type 2 diabetes (often called adult onset diabetes) is common in older people whose ability to secrete sufficient insulin to regulate blood sugar deteriorates as they age and is often due to increased demand in obese people.

"It could be due to loss of beta cells with age," Buchholz said. "The body doesn't make new ones in adulthood and there might not be enough cells to control blood sugar."

Info from here https://www.llnl.gov/news/newsreleases/2010/Oct/NR-10-10-05.html

Think about this, I often read about a type two diabetic that says I can hold good numbers on a 100 plus carbs per day. But the persons pancreas has gone south or they would not be a diabetic, agreed. That being the case and as beta cells never regrow after about thirty years of age i.e. most type two diabetics, doesn't it make sense to preserve what beta cells you have left and give them as little work to do as possible. Doesn't it make sense to keep well away from junk food and never play games with yourself, messing around to see how far you can up the carbs before BG number get too high, especially for the sort of clowns on insulin inducing medication.

Only saying
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2439

Beta cells do not replicate after the age of 30. Empty Re: Beta cells do not replicate after the age of 30.

Post by Paul1976 Fri Oct 17 2014, 15:06

So true!! Why bash your ailing pancreas on the head and push your luck until it all goes pear shaped? A one way ticket to future Insulin injections I reckon-far better for type 2 diabetics to close the stable door early before the Horse legs it!
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Beta cells do not replicate after the age of 30. Empty Re: Beta cells do not replicate after the age of 30.

Post by Jan1 Fri Oct 17 2014, 19:34

There is much more we could do to aid health but it does require an open mind and unfortunately many peoples are closed. The internet can be our friend and help us to better understanding of illnesses. No longer do many of us just rely on our GP, not that I have a bad word about mine! Over my 60 yrs + I have been fortunate not to need too many visits.

The older we get the more precious life and living becomes, I just wish many more younger people would take this on board and think more about what they eat, how they exercise ...it can only help in later life.

Hindsight for many can be a wonderful thing ....but it may just be too late.

All the best Jan

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02 2024, 20:34