THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

2 posters

The effects of alpha-lipoic acid supplementation on glucose control and lipid profiles among patients with metabolic diseases

yoly
    yoly

The effects of alpha-lipoic acid supplementation on glucose control and lipid profiles among patients with metabolic diseases Empty The effects of alpha-lipoic acid supplementation on glucose control and lipid profiles among patients with metabolic diseases

Post by yoly Tue Jul 24 2018, 15:33

The effects of alpha-lipoic acid supplementation on glucose control and lipid profiles among patients with metabolic diseases

Metabolism. 2018 Jul 7. pii: S0026-0495(18)30153-7. doi: 10.1016/j.metabol.2018.07.002. [Epub ahead of print]

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29990473/

Abstract
    OBJECTIVE:

This systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials (RCTs) was performed to summarize the effect of alpha-lipoic acid (ALA) supplementation on glycemic control and lipid profiles among patients with metabolic diseases.
    METHODS:

We searched the following databases till October 2017: MEDLINE, EMBASE, Web of Science and Cochrane Central Register of Controlled Trials. The relevant data were extracted and assessed for quality of the studies according to the Cochrane risk of bias tool. Data were pooled using the inverse variance method and expressed as standardized mean difference (SMD) with 95% confidence intervals (95% CI). Heterogeneity between studies was assessed by the Cochran Q statistic and I-squared tests (I2). Twenty-four studies were included in the meta-analyses.
    RESULTS:

The findings of this meta-analysis showed that ALA supplementation among patients with metabolic diseases significantly decreased fasting glucose (SMD -0.54; 95% CI, -0.89,-0.19; P = 0.003), insulin (SMD -1.01; 95% CI, -1.70, -0.31; P = 0.006), homeostasis model assessment of insulin resistance (SMD -0.76; 95% CI, -1.15,-0.36; P < 0.001) and hemoglobin A1c (SMD -1.22; 95% CI, -2.01,-0.44; P = 0.002), triglycerides (SMD -0.58; 95% CI, -1.00, -0.16; P = 0.006), total- (SMD -0.64; 95% CI, -1.01, -0.27; P = 0.001), low density lipoprotein-cholesterol (SMD -0.44; 95% CI, -0.76, -0.11; P = 0.008). We found no detrimental effect of ALA supplementation on high density lipoprotein-cholesterol (HDL-cholesterol) levels (SMD 0.57; 95% CI, -0.14, 1.29; P = 0.11).
    CONCLUSIONS:

Overall, the current meta-analysis demonstrated that ALA administration may lead to an improvement in glucose homeostasis parameters and lipid profiles except HDL-cholesterol levels.
    chris c
    chris c

The effects of alpha-lipoic acid supplementation on glucose control and lipid profiles among patients with metabolic diseases Empty Re: The effects of alpha-lipoic acid supplementation on glucose control and lipid profiles among patients with metabolic diseases

Post by chris c Thu Jul 26 2018, 21:31

http://sci-hub.tw/10.1016/j.metabol.2018.07.002

will read later, thanks as always.

I tried this long ago, it dropped my BG by about 0.5 overall and my spikes by about the same. On the other hand not eating breakfast cereal dropped my BG by 5 or 6. My conclusion - it works but is expensive for what it achieves.
    yoly
    yoly

The effects of alpha-lipoic acid supplementation on glucose control and lipid profiles among patients with metabolic diseases Empty Re: The effects of alpha-lipoic acid supplementation on glucose control and lipid profiles among patients with metabolic diseases

Post by yoly Sat Jul 28 2018, 10:45

Nothing will work better than diet to control blood glucose, it make sense since is the biggest input on the equation on blood glucose regulation. ALA plays a role in glucose regulation so it may benefit some diabetics but it will never substitute a good low carb diet. ALA is also a good antioxidant that regenerates other antioxidants diabetics with not well control blood glucose generate more oxidants damage. So there is the theory that some antioxidants may benefit diabetics beyond glucose control, by preventing glucose damage. There are cheaper maybe more beneficial like vitamin c that if budged is a concern it may be a better alternative.
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Sat Jul 28 2018, 20:58

I originally "discovered" ALA as part of a protocol for dealing with diabetic neuropathy but the source I had seems to have gone, it was on the website for the newsgroup alt.support.diabetes.

Oh OK I found it reposted

https://www.diabetesdaily.com/forum/neuropathy/32167-dpn-cocktail/

(Used to know Tiger Lily)

Despite having "just a touch of prediabetes" I had significant neuropathy in my feet and some in my hands, mainly after eating when my BG spiked. Not sure how much the ALA was responsible along with the reduction of the spikes but it went away eventually. Last time I had my feet checked there was just a small area that was non-responsive to the tickle stick which was almost certainly due to hard skin.

Lots of people reported the same thing, yet another "irreversible" condition which isn't.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26 2024, 12:08