THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

+7
AliB
mo1905
zand
Mud Island Dweller
sanguine
Andy12345
Jan1
11 posters

Flu Jabs - Have You Had One?

Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Flu Jabs - Have You Had One?  Empty Flu Jabs - Have You Had One?

Post by Jan1 Wed Oct 08 2014, 19:20

Wasn't too sure if this post should have gone in 'Medical Problems' but not to worry .......

Just wondered, have any of you had a flu jab this year? Do you always have them? If you have, have you experienced any adverse reaction - please share your thoughts.

The reason it's come to mind is a close family relation (in their late 80's) for years did not bother with flu jabs. Last year decided to have one ....everything ok. This year decided to have one .....about ten days later went down with a nasty chill. Coincidence or what. To be honest I have my suspicions. Neutral

All the best Jan
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Male Posts : 1646

Flu Jabs - Have You Had One?  Empty Re: Flu Jabs - Have You Had One?

Post by Andy12345 Wed Oct 08 2014, 19:39

same thing has happened to me before Sad im convinced it was the jab

still having mine on saturday with my little one, nasty chill is better than flu i reckon lol
    sanguine
    sanguine

Male Posts : 395

Post by sanguine Wed Oct 08 2014, 19:42

Had mine (first ever) when I had my 6 month review with the DN this morning. Also got a one-off pneumonia jab which is recommended for diabetics.

No adverse (or any) reaction so far.
    Mud Island Dweller
    Mud Island Dweller

Female Posts : 228

Post by Mud Island Dweller Wed Oct 08 2014, 19:44

l had first jab last year...nothing
    Mum used to suffer horrendously dad wasnt great
    l have to have pneumonia but last yr when offered just Dx with T2 had flu had horrendous heart palpitations at that stage... another jab was not on.
    zand
    zand

Female Posts : 1940

Post by zand Wed Oct 08 2014, 19:51

I don't like them, but I don't feel I can do without them. I have had so many chest infections that I am scared of getting another. I am diabetic and asthmatic, and until a couple of years ago had a heart problem too. I'm also the main carer for an elderly person now, so I daren't not have a flu jab. I would like a pneumonia jab too because I had pneumonia twice three years ago and I was really ill.

I know they say you can't get a reaction because it's a dead virus, but I always get a reaction like a chill or mild virus. The only year I didn't get a reaction I got flu.
    mo1905
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2305

Post by mo1905 Wed Oct 08 2014, 20:28

Yes, I had the jab last sat. I had the pneumonia one last year which did make my arm sore for a few days. Glad that is a one time deal.
    AliB
    AliB

Female Posts : 377

Post by AliB Wed Oct 08 2014, 22:21

Won't touch them with a bargepole. My parents had one 2 days before going to Holland some years back and spent the entire week of their holiday in bed.

I know so many who've been sick after having it, I'd rather take my chances and just stock up on Vitamin C and other immune-boosting elements.

I've never had one, and I've never needed one, but then I would always opt for natural support that works with the body, over medical that rarely does.
    Sarah

Flu Jabs - Have You Had One?  Empty Flu jabs

Post by Sarah Sat Nov 29 2014, 16:42

Apologies, not been around for a while - work and also horrible chest infection which Dr thought might be developing into pneumonia. Re. flu jabs, only time I had one I had bad flu afterwards:( On enquiry, they only cover you for the strain they think will be most common. Other info I gleaned in last bout of illness was that pneumonia jab doesn't mean you are immune (I was told ten yrs), I had a booster a few years back as I had pneumonia over twenty years ago. There are also several different forms of pneumonia and so you still may not be totally covered when you have that jab according to cheery doc when I was ill recently, so beware all.
    Missy1
    Missy1
    Troll

Female Posts : 30

Post by Missy1 Sat Nov 29 2014, 19:11

Every year at the beginning of the winter months I have a one off Vitamin D injection that covers me for a year and once monthly for 4 months Vitamin B12 injections.

Both are done privately and strangely I've never had a cold touch Eddies head.

Can't really say if its due to the vitamin D or the B12 injection or a combination of both, but I've never had a cold or flu in over 7 years.

Paul1976
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2439

Post by Paul1976 Sat Nov 29 2014, 19:16

Missy1 wrote:Every year at the beginning of the winter months I have a one off Vitamin D injection that covers me for a year and once monthly for 4 months Vitamin B12 injections.

Both are done privately and strangely I've never had a cold touch Eddies head.

Can't really say if its due to the vitamin D or the B12 injection or a combination of both, but I've never had a cold or flu in over 7 years.

Hmmmmm...Very odd! Vit B12 shots are usually administered quarterly PJ Missy! Shocked
    Mud Island Dweller
    Mud Island Dweller

Post by Mud Island Dweller Sat Nov 29 2014, 21:15

Being a failure of the vitD route l know for a fact you wont have anything until after a blood test arranged by a dr (pvt or nhs) and if you need vit d then it will be on a course with regular blood tests starting at 1 month into the course to see there isnt a problem...any other method is against nice guidelines he gave me the paperwork from nice explaining it all.
    Oh and 1 vitd wont cover for a year

Again my dr wont consider B12 unless tested again due to nice guidelines l didn't need B12 according to my blood test.

missy l do not often get angry but you have made me very angry take a hike and go overdose on carbs and DONT LIE ABOUT MEDICAL ISSUES
    Missy1
    Missy1
    Troll

Post by Missy1 Sat Nov 29 2014, 21:55

Mud Island Dweller wrote:
    missy l do not often get angry but you have made me very angry take a hike and go overdose on carbs and DONT LIE ABOUT MEDICAL ISSUES

Well I aim to please Mud, perhaps you can tell  what  Dekristol Capsules 20,000 units are and why I was taking them before I changed to Cockwinters vitamin D elixir injection, through a private clinic.

I could also be making the whole thing up, but considering its easy to forget to take a capsule one month apart, what do you think Mud.
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Post by Paul1976 Sat Nov 29 2014, 22:02

Missy1 wrote:

Well I aim to please Mud, perhaps you can tell  what  Dekristol Capsules 20,000 units are and why I was taking them before I changed to Cockwinters vitamin D elixir injection, through a private clinic.

I could also be making the whole thing up, but considering its easy to forget to take a capsule one month apart, what do you think Mud.

What was the "Physicians" name at this "Private clinic"? Oh wait,let me guess...Dr Jones was it by any chance? Evil or Very Mad

Skating on VERY thin ice now PJ ! ban
    Missy1
    Missy1
    Troll

Post by Missy1 Sat Nov 29 2014, 22:30

[quote="Paul]

What was the "Physicians" name at this "Private clinic"? Oh wait,let me guess...Dr Jones was it by any chance? Evil or Very Mad

Skating on VERY thin ice now PJ ! ban [/quote]

Once-yearly intramuscular cholecalciferol injection (600 000 IU) replaces the once monthly Dekristol Capsules 20,000 units, used to treat arthritis. tongue
    graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Post by graham64 Sun Nov 30 2014, 00:06

Sarah wrote:Apologies, not been around for a while - work and also horrible chest infection which Dr thought might be developing into pneumonia. Re. flu jabs, only time I had one I had bad flu afterwards:(  On enquiry, they only cover you for the strain they think will be most common. Other info I gleaned in last bout of illness was that pneumonia jab doesn't mean you are immune (I was told ten yrs), I had a booster a few years back  as I had pneumonia over twenty years ago. There are also several different forms of pneumonia and so you still may not be totally covered when you have that jab according to cheery doc when I was ill recently, so beware all.

Apologies not necessary Sarah hope you have completely recovered from your chest infection, I knew that the pneumonia jab did not not guarantee immunity but was unaware about the need for a booster jab, had my pneumonia jab about six years ago so will bear in mind the need for a booster.
    Mud Island Dweller
    Mud Island Dweller

Post by Mud Island Dweller Sun Nov 30 2014, 07:37

l stand by my words and pvt doesn't mean he is allowed to practice outside official guidelines. I have slung my paperwork as it is now unneeded.

vit D has a short life span but easy to overdose on even within guidelines hence having the blood tests hence having to come off mine within 6 weeks of starting on my second blood test l was pulled off and have been undergoing blood tests since to check that A) vitD is going down B) calcium and other parameters are coming down thanks to the vit D going up so high on dose that it screwed my body chemistry up.

I call you a liar and dangerous and any dr that would shove you onto any vit d or vit B without tests should be in front of a disciplinary.
    And no it isnt hard A) to remember 1 capsule a month unless you choose to B) read above about my opinion of you and your so called dr.
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Post by Paul1976 Sun Nov 30 2014, 10:54

Well said MID!!!! clap clap
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Sun Nov 30 2014, 13:28

>.>.>. The choice / decision as to whether you have a flu jab, shingles jab, pneumonia jab - in fact any inoculation must and always will be a personal decision.

However at family gatherings recently two of our grandchildren have now had the flu jab. One developed pneumonia and has spent time in hospital the other developed a very heavy cold. Coincidence? Maybe! But the parents have said 'no flu jab next year'

All the best Jan
    Missy1
    Missy1
    Troll

Post by Missy1 Sun Nov 30 2014, 17:43

Jan1 wrote:>.>.>. The choice / decision as to whether you have a flu jab, shingles jab, pneumonia jab - in fact any inoculation must and always will be a personal decision.

However at family gatherings recently two of our grandchildren have now had the flu jab. One developed pneumonia and has spent time in hospital the other developed a very heavy cold. Coincidence? Maybe! But the parents have said 'no flu jab next year'

All the best Jan

There is some evidence that supports having a pneumonia jab first early before starting yearly flu jabs.

BIG MYSTERY

Flu vaccinations for sometime can now be given as a nasal spray so why continue with the jabs? Risks almost vanish with the nasal spray.
    mo1905
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2305

Post by mo1905 Sun Nov 30 2014, 17:50

It seems the nasal spray vaccination is currently only available to children. Unless you wish to go private.

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vaccinations/pages/child-flu-vaccine.aspx
    Missy1
    Missy1
    Troll

Post by Missy1 Sun Nov 30 2014, 17:53

Mud Island Dweller wrote:l stand by my words and pvt doesn't mean he is allowed to practice outside official guidelines. I have slung my paperwork as it is now unneeded.

vit D has a short life span but easy to overdose on even within guidelines hence having the blood tests hence having to come off mine within 6 weeks of starting on my second blood test l was pulled off and have been undergoing blood tests since to check that A) vitD is going down B) calcium and other parameters are coming down thanks to the vit D going up so high on dose that it screwed my body chemistry up.

I call you a liar and dangerous and any dr that would shove you onto any vit d or vit B without tests should be in front of a disciplinary.
    And no it isnt hard A) to remember 1 capsule a month unless you choose to B) read above about my opinion of you and your so called dr.

Mud, I have several science degrees and have lectured at several prestige universities here and in the state.

I carry out a battery of medical tests on myself to rigorous standards. I also have the same tests carried out independently. Before undergoing any treatment.

But.... you never know I could be wrong and may explain why I'm supporting a pair of bristols. Laughing
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Sun Nov 30 2014, 18:51

Jan1 wrote:>.>.>. The choice / decision as to whether you have a flu jab, shingles jab, pneumonia jab - in fact any inoculation must and always will be a personal decision.

All the best Jan

At the risk of quoting myself Shocked

Just want to make it clear - after talking with the family again this afternoon, both grandchildren had the flu nasal spray Neutral

All the best Jan
    Missy1
    Missy1
    Troll

Post by Missy1 Sun Nov 30 2014, 18:55

Jan1 wrote:At the risk of quoting myself Shocked

Just want to make it clear - after talking with the family again this afternoon, both grandchildren had the flu nasal spray Neutral

All the best Jan

Do your grandchildren take any supplements or drugs to improve there general health?
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Sun Nov 30 2014, 19:04

Missy1 wrote:
    Jan1 wrote:At the risk of quoting myself Shocked

All the best Jan

Do your grandchildren take any supplements or drugs to improve there general health?

No they do not. They are low carbers but not down to 50 carbs per day like me and Eddie. They are the picture of health and happiness as can be seen here.

Flu Jabs - Have You Had One?  Proxy?url=http%3A%2F%2F3.bp.blogspot.com%2F-DgR-escMPBU%2FVHtol9VOp4I%2FAAAAAAAAIZE%2FL-f98nyFSkk%2Fs1600%2F10418877_10154941345475454_7734467350647005486_n

All the best Jan

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content