THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

4 posters

Beta cell stress in a 4‐year follow‐up of patients with type 2 diabetes

graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Beta cell stress in a 4‐year follow‐up of patients with type 2 diabetes Empty Beta cell stress in a 4‐year follow‐up of patients with type 2 diabetes

Post by graham64 Tue May 22 2018, 22:17

Abstract

Background
    Type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM) is associated with a progressive deterioration in beta cell function and loss of glycaemic control. Clinical predictors of beta cell failure are needed to guide appropriate therapy.

Methods
    A prospective evaluation of a large set of potential predictors of beta cell stress, measured as change in the proinsulin/insulin (PI/I) ratio, was conducted in a cohort of 235 outpatients with T2DM on stable treatment with oral hypoglycaemic agents or diet followed up for ~4 years (median value 3.9 years; interquartile range 3.8‐4.1 years).

Results
    Overall, metabolic control deteriorated over time, with a significant increase in glycated haemoglobin (HbA1c; P < .0001), proinsulin (P < .0001), and PI/I ratio (P = .001), without significant changes in the homeostatic model assessment of insulin resistance. Multivariate regression analysis showed that for each 1% (10.9 mmol/mol) increase from baseline in HbA1c, the risk of beta cell stress increased by 3.8 times; for each 1% (10.9 mmol/mol) incremental increase in HbA1c during the study, risk of beta cell stress increased by 2.25 times that at baseline. By contrast, baseline anthropometric and clinical variables, lipid profile, inflammatory markers (PCR, IL‐6), non‐esterified fatty acids, and current therapies did not independently influence PI/I ratio variation during follow‐up.

Conclusions
    In this cohort of patients with T2DM, beta cell function progressively deteriorated despite current therapies. Among a large set of clinical and biochemical predictors, only baseline HbA1c levels and their deterioration overtime were associated with higher beta cell stress over time.

Full text: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/dmrr.3016

Listen to your dietitian follow the T2 guidelines take the drugs and you've got diabetes progression, alternatively ignore dietitian and guidelines and go low carb and get stability not progression  Smile
    yoly
    yoly

Beta cell stress in a 4‐year follow‐up of patients with type 2 diabetes Empty Re: Beta cell stress in a 4‐year follow‐up of patients with type 2 diabetes

Post by yoly Wed May 23 2018, 13:52

No drugs including insulin without reducing your intake of carbohydrates is going to give you "control". So they set for "control" targets that really aren't control and then wonder why it still progress. That said in old people everything "progress" we all going to die of something. But the diabetics complications because bad advice aren't the best way to go. Many if not all can be avoided with good diabetes management.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Beta cell stress in a 4‐year follow‐up of patients with type 2 diabetes Empty Re: Beta cell stress in a 4‐year follow‐up of patients with type 2 diabetes

Post by Jan1 Wed May 23 2018, 17:18

I know I am not a diabetic ...
    But I do agree with the words " go low carb and get stability not progression"

I am sure there are many, many diabetics who would agree Smile  

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Wed May 23 2018, 22:05

pdf

http://sci-hub.hk/10.1002/dmrr.3016

Yes there must by now be thousands if not hundreds of thousands of diabetics who are failing to progress satisfactorily, just like they used to do in the past.
    graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Post by graham64 Wed May 23 2018, 22:34

chris c wrote:pdf

http://sci-hub.hk/10.1002/dmrr.3016

Yes there must by now be thousands if not hundreds of thousands of diabetics who are failing to progress satisfactorily, just like they used to do in the past.

It's an open access study Chris the PDF is available too: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/epdf/10.1002/dmrr.3016
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Wed May 23 2018, 22:38

Oh strange I got the study but not the pdf

Must be the Alzheimers . . .

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26 2024, 17:05