THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

5 posters

The London Fire.

Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

The London Fire. Empty The London Fire.

Post by Eddie Wed Jun 14 2017, 21:07

A very terrible situation. I fear the final death toll will be high. I know nothing about building regulations or fire regulations. But how did anyone think cladding a high rise residential building, with highly inflammable plastic was a good idea. It appears most of the people effected were very poor. I bet the multi-million £pound flats in the Shard are far better protected against fire. Changes have to made and fast, whatever the financial cost.
    graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

The London Fire. Empty Re: The London Fire.

Post by graham64 Wed Jun 14 2017, 22:00

Eddie wrote:A very terrible situation. I fear the final death toll will be high. I know nothing about building regulations or fire regulations. But how did anyone think cladding a high rise residential building, with highly inflammable plastic was a good idea. It appears most of the people effected were very poor. I bet the multi-million £pound flats in the Shard are far better protected against fire. Changes have to made and fast, whatever the financial cost.

What a tragedy those trapped with no means of escape must have really suffered, I do hope the investigations into the cause of the fire pinpoint those responsible whether it's shoddy work or the wrong materials, I heard the plastic used has been implicated in other fires in high rise buildings

Special praise for those brave firefighters it must have been hell for them to
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Thu Jun 15 2017, 18:57

So it now appears these death trap high rise residential buildings, have been a known health hazard for a long time. Very much the same way eating factory produced junk food is also a health hazard, although less dramatic, compared to the horror seen with a burning tall building. Can there be a more horrendous sight than a loving parent throwing a child from the tenth floor, basically a quick death compared to burning alive. And get this, we are one of the richest countries in the world.

If we really want to kick start our stagnant economy, let's start demolishing these death trap buildings and build millions of affordable homes. This would lead to the employment of hundreds of thousands of people, and the money spent would create real assets that would last a hundred years or more.

Jesus Christ this is not rocket science. If we are going to have millions of immigrants come into the country, we have to build the infrastructure, homes, schools, hospitals etc etc. Our young people are the future of this country, they will pay for our pensions, yet they are being burdened with eye watering debts before they get their first proper job. I reckon the young gained a great deal from this last fiasco election, by voting they can make a difference.
    mo1905
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2305

Post by mo1905 Fri Jun 16 2017, 11:27

I agree Eddie, penny pinching again. There was a recommendation years ago that these high rise structures should be fitted with sprinklers.
    I feel so sad for the families and equally sad for the firefighters having to deal with this. Once you have witnessed scenes like this, they cannot be unseen.
    What I find incredible is the residents were actually told in case of a fire, just stay in your rooms !!! Unbelievable ! That's what fire exits are for.
    I urge anyone who reads this, if EVER you suspect a fire, if possible, remove yourself from the structure to safety.
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Fri Jun 16 2017, 14:44

Hi Mo as you would expect, some of us old timers thought of you when we saw the fire. It looked to me at one point, the firemen could not get near the building, because parts of the cladding on fire was falling down on them. Firemen get to see some very grim sights, but this fire went to new level of horror. I just saw this article.

Made by a company of the same name, Reynobond panels come in three types – one with a flammable plastic core and two with fire-resistant centres. It is thought that contractors chose the cheaper version with the plastic core for the refurbishment work on Grenfell Tower.
    A salesman for US-based Reynobond told The Times that this particular version, which has a polythene centre and is referred to as ‘PE’, was banned in American buildings taller than 40ft over fire safety reasons.

From here http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4610158/Grenfell-Tower-contractor-DROPPED-save-council-1-6m.html
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Post by Jan1 Fri Jun 16 2017, 18:43

This was just horrifying to see and read about and my thoughts are with everybody who has lost family and friends and have been affected by this terrible and tragic event.

I agree with Graham when he said 'special praise for those brave firefighters it must have been hell for them to'

Many thanks too Mo for your advice here ...

Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Fri Jun 16 2017, 22:57

Amazing isn't it, the council and cheapskate contractors kill more people than terrorists. I bet no-one goes to prison either.

I remember something similar but on a much smaller scale.

Fortunately it was after I'd left, but a house I used to live in burned down. If I remember correctly it started as a chip fire in a basement flat (he was drunk and fell asleep) then the fire flashed up this time through the interior walls which were plaster and lath stuffed with horsehair (very old house) and it was the attic flat - where I used to live - that was totally destroyed.

Fortunately everyone got out safely but most of their possessions were destroyed. Then followed a major years-long battle with the insurance fuckwits before they finally got permission to rebuild.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26 2024, 21:46