THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

+3
Eddie
Paul1976
Admin
7 posters

DVLA guidelines for diabetes link

Admin
    Admin
    Admin

DVLA guidelines for diabetes link Empty DVLA guidelines for diabetes link

Post by Admin Tue Aug 12 2014, 18:34

This is a link to the Gov't website which gives the latest information and guidelines for driving with diabetes. If in doubt, give DVLA a call.

https://www.gov.uk/diabetes-driving
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2439

DVLA guidelines for diabetes link Empty Re: DVLA guidelines for diabetes link

Post by Paul1976 Tue Aug 12 2014, 19:03

Definitely worth the time to read for folks who are unsure and always better safe than sorry when it comes to your licence and possible livelihood.
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Post by Eddie Wed Aug 13 2014, 19:48

Good point Paul. It is always the drivers responsibility to drive safely and within the law, there are no excuses, including being a diabetic.

Kind regards Eddie
    Moose
    Moose
    Forum Jester

Post by Moose Tue Oct 28 2014, 12:34

You shouldn't really drive in my opinion if you got diabetes.

Moose
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Post by Paul1976 Tue Oct 28 2014, 12:36

Moose wrote:You shouldn't really drive in my opinion if you got diabetes.

Moose

Pardon me? What is that statement based on?
    Moose
    Moose
    Forum Jester

Post by Moose Tue Oct 28 2014, 12:39

Paul wrote:

Based on mathematical statistics and data analysis. Have a hypo behind the wheel, when doing 70 down a motorway and its not just your life your going to be taking.

Moose
    zand
    zand

Female Posts : 1940

Post by zand Tue Oct 28 2014, 12:41

Paul wrote:

Moose

Not sure how I would manage if I couldn't drive. It was bad enough having to stay away from driving for 6 weeks after having operations.
    zand
    zand

Post by zand Tue Oct 28 2014, 12:41

Moose wrote:
    Paul wrote:

Based on mathematical statistics and data analysis. Have a hypo behind the wheel, when doing 70 down a motorway and its not just your life your going to be taking.

Moose

What if you are type 2, or a type 1 who has never had a hypo?
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Post by Paul1976 Tue Oct 28 2014, 12:42

Moose wrote:
    Paul wrote:

Moose

That is the exception and not the rule and only applies to insulin users,I'm sure someone would do as much damage if they suffered a heart attack behind the wheel and we have to strictly test before and during our journeys.
    Moose
    Moose
    Forum Jester

Post by Moose Tue Oct 28 2014, 12:43

zand wrote:
    Not sure how I would manage if I couldn't drive.  It was bad enough having to stay away from driving for 6 weeks after having operations.  

Laws that require diabetics to keep tight control of their blood sugar level in order to hold onto their drivers’ licence. Patients with the best glycemic control, it turns out, are more than twice as likely to be in a crash as patients with the worst.

How would you manage if you killed someone on the roads?

Type 2 diabetes drugs can cause drowsiness and lack of concentration.

Moose
    zand
    zand

Post by zand Tue Oct 28 2014, 12:45

Moose wrote:
    zand wrote:
    Not sure how I would manage if I couldn't drive.  It was bad enough having to stay away from driving for 6 weeks after having operations.  

Laws that require diabetics to keep tight control of their blood sugar level in order to hold onto their drivers’ licence. Patients with the best glycemic control, it turns out, are more than twice as likely to be in a crash as patients with the worst.

How would you manage if you killed someone on the roads?

Moose

I'm type 2! I am not going to have a hypo!
    Moose
    Moose
    Forum Jester

Post by Moose Tue Oct 28 2014, 12:46

zand wrote:

I'm type 2!  I am not going to have a hypo!

You missed my update of the reply " Type 2 diabetes drugs can cause drowsiness and lack of concentration."

I'm just saying I don't think its a good idea, a lest cut down on the use of a car if your diabetic.

Moose
    zand
    zand

Post by zand Tue Oct 28 2014, 12:48

Moose wrote:
    zand wrote:

You missed my update of the reply " Type 2 diabetes drugs can cause drowsiness and lack of concentration."

I'm just saying I don't think its a good idea, a lest cut down on the use of a car if your diabetic.

Moose

I prefer to take the other route (pardon the pun). I've cut down on the drugs so I am not on any diabetic medication. So I won't have a hypo.
    Moose
    Moose
    Forum Jester

Post by Moose Tue Oct 28 2014, 12:50

zand wrote:
    I prefer to take the other route (pardon the pun).  I've cut down on the drugs so I am not on any diabetic medication.  So I won't have a hypo.

Well as long as your stable Zand that the main thing, but then being on this forum can one say they are stable jocolor

Moose
    zand
    zand

Post by zand Tue Oct 28 2014, 12:50

Moose wrote:
    zand wrote:
    I prefer to take the other route (pardon the pun).  I've cut down on the drugs so I am not on any diabetic medication.  So I won't have a hypo.

Well as long as your stable Zand that the main thing, but then being on this forum can one say they are stable jocolor

Moose

lol! No! lol!
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Tue Oct 28 2014, 13:52

Moose

Moose may I respectfully suggest you spend less time worrying about Stefen and bellends and engage some of the old grey matter. A well controlled diabetic who tests before driving is as safe as anyone on the roads, probably safer than many non diabetics. Get a grip mate.

Eddie
    mo1905
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2305

Post by mo1905 Tue Oct 28 2014, 17:31

Moose

Ignorant statements like this are purely to cause friction and serve no purpose. You are welcome to your opinion but perhaps ones like these should be kept to yourself. You have made ridiculous posts up till now and we've tolerated and humoured you. If you're just bored, go for a walk or something. Please think before you write in future.
    zand
    zand

Post by zand Tue Oct 28 2014, 17:40

mo1905 wrote:

Moose

Ignorant statements like this are purely to cause friction and serve no purpose. You are welcome to your opinion but perhaps ones like these should be kept to yourself. You have made ridiculous posts up till now and we've tolerated and humoured you. If you're just bored, go for a walk or something. Please think before you write in future.

I thought he'd gone for a w**k already
    graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Post by graham64 Tue Oct 28 2014, 21:27

Moose wrote:
    zand wrote:

Moose
    Moose hypo's are not a problem for those of us who are on diet or diet and metformin, the DVLA do not require us to inform them if were not on hypoglycemic medications.
    Moose
    Moose
    Forum Jester

Post by Moose Wed Oct 29 2014, 12:36

mo1905 wrote:

The statement is not ignorant, you shouldn't be moderating if your reactionary and emotional Mo and should seriously think about stepping down for the good of the forum if you can't remain stolic.

I well aware the diabetics being one myself dislike the the label "disabled". But you have a duty to ask either yourself or a doctor if your disabilities pose a risk to others, especially if you plan to drive.

What I would like to happen is people with a long life disability who plan to drive be checked at least once every 10 years.  

This would be especially true of pensioners, who I believe should also resit the driving test and again once every ten year.

If they are deemed safe by DVLA then so be it.

Personally I don't understand why pensioners don't take advantage of the free bus travel they are entitle to and Darby Jones type coach trips.

Petrol cost at the pumps are astronomical, so why wast your pension money? Add to that driving is stressful.

Moose

Last edited by Moose on Wed Oct 29 2014, 13:32; edited 2 times in total
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Wed Oct 29 2014, 12:54

"I well aware the diabetics being one myself dislike the the label "disabled" by you have a duty to ask either yourself or a doctor if your disabilities pose a risk to others, especially if you plan to drive."

Since when have well controlled diabetics ever been regarded as disabled? Diabetes poorly managed can lead to severe disablement but this situation never has to arise, if people follow what we preach on this forum. Type two diabetes is a life sentence for the well informed not a death sentence.

As for the remarks regarding Mo, I am sure he will answer later.

I like you Moose you make me laugh. My old man had a dog like you years ago, it was a lot of fun. But as it got old it went batshit and became vicious and had to put down, ya folla?

Keep making me larf Moose

Regards Eddie
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Post by Paul1976 Wed Oct 29 2014, 13:02

A dog named Shane...
    Moose
    Moose
    Forum Jester

Post by Moose Wed Oct 29 2014, 13:31

eddie1 wrote:Since when have well controlled diabetics ever been regarded as disabled?

If you require pills, potions or other medical intervention in order to survive then sorry and I know this is not going to go down well but you classed as disabled.

If you Eddie can function without your glasses, I'm assuming your myopic and anti-diabetic medication then your not disabled.

But... If you can't, then sorry dude your handicapped not to the same level as me but nevertheless handicapped.

Accept it and don't live in self-denial.

The rest of your reply is not worthy of a comment.

Moose
    mo1905
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2305

Post by mo1905 Wed Oct 29 2014, 18:27

Moose wrote:
    mo1905 wrote:

The statement is not ignorant, you shouldn't be moderating if your reactionary and emotional Mo and should seriously think about stepping down for the good of the forum if you can't remain stolic.

I well aware the diabetics being one myself dislike the the label "disabled". But you have a duty to ask either yourself or a doctor if your disabilities pose a risk to others, especially if you plan to drive.

What I would like to happen is people with a long life disability who plan to drive be checked at least once every 10 years.  

This would be especially true of pensioners, who I believe should also resit the driving test and again once every ten year.

If they are deemed safe by DVLA then so be it.

Personally I don't understand why pensioners don't take advantage of the free bus travel they are entitle to and Darby Jones type coach trips.

Petrol cost at the pumps are astronomical, so why wast your pension money? Add to that driving is stressful.

Moose
    The reason I said your post was "ignorant" was because your opening post lacked any substance, fact or evidence. You just stated that you feel if you have diabetes, you shouldn't drive. This is a diabetes support forum and you showed no support whatsoever, or knowledge of your subject matter.
    Now, if you had started a thread stating that poorly controlled diabetics or those that are hypo unaware shouldn't drive, I'm with you 100% and there would have been scope for good discussion but you failed to differentiate those that control their condition well and continue to remain a safe driver.
    Trust me, I have seen some devastating car accidents in my time and am a firm believer in tight safety controls.
    Yes you are correct it is a duty to inform DVLA once on insulin and they will make a decision, based on paperwork from your consultant, if you are safe to drive.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28 2024, 08:02