THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

2 posters

The 21 Best Low-Carb Vegetables

Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

The 21 Best Low-Carb Vegetables Empty The 21 Best Low-Carb Vegetables

Post by Jan1 Wed Jun 01 2016, 18:34

The 21 Best Low-Carb Vegetables

This article is from Franziska Spritzler who has a BSc in nutrition and dietetics. She is a Registered Dietitian and Certified Diabetes Educator with expertise in carbohydrate-restricted diets for diabetes and weight management.

I've taken it from the Authority Nutrition site - link below - it starts ...

" Vegetables are low in calories but rich in vitamins, minerals and other important nutrients.

In addition, many are low in carbs and high in fiber, making them ideal for low-carb diets.

The definition of a low-carb diet varies widely, but most are under 150 grams of carbs per day, and some go as low as 20 grams per day.

Whether or not you’re on a low-carb diet, eating more vegetables is always a great idea.

Here is a list of the 21 best low-carb vegetables to include in your diet.

1. Bell peppers, also known as sweet peppers or capsicums, are incredibly nutritious.

2. Broccoli, is a true superfood. It’s a member of the cruciferous vegetable family, which includes kale, Brussels sprouts, radishes and cabbage.

3. Asparagus is a delicious spring vegetable, and  One cup (180 grams) of cooked asparagus contains 8 grams of carbs, four of which are fiber. It’s also a good source of vitamins A, C and K

4. Mushrooms are extremely low in carbs. A one-cup (70-gram) serving of raw white mushrooms contains just 2 grams of carbs, 1 of which is fiber.

5. Zucchini (courgette) is a popular vegetable. One cup (124 grams) of raw zucchini contains 4 grams of carbs, one of them fiber. It’s a good source of vitamin C, providing 35% of the RDI per serving "

The list continues ...

Do go and read the full article and more (with related links) here
    https://authoritynutrition.com/21-best-low-carb-vegetables/
    Jan1
    Jan1

The 21 Best Low-Carb Vegetables Empty Re: The 21 Best Low-Carb Vegetables

Post by Jan1 Thu Sep 22 2016, 18:31

Well numbers one to five are above

Then it's:

Spinach at Number Six

Avocado at Number Seven

Cauliflower at Number Eight

Green Beans at Number Nine

Lettuce at Number Ten

Do numbers one to ten appear in your menu plans?

read more here https://authoritynutrition.com/21-best-low-carb-vegetables/

All the best Jan

flower
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Thu Sep 22 2016, 22:54

Personal taste, I don't like cucumbers, I'm not that fond of lettuce (I was spoiled by fresh cos lettuce from the allotment as a child) and I prefer broccoli to cauliflower.

Other than that I pretty much scoff the lot.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Sat Sep 24 2016, 12:28

... now I do enjoy all of the 21 vegetables listed but as you mentioned lettuce, there are so many different types aren't there.

From the incredibly crunchy iceberg lettuce, to the peppery rocket leaf salad. Or how about the sweeter tasting Italian Style, or the earthy flavour of the baby leaf spinach, there is so much variety, we are spoilt for choice.

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Sun Sep 25 2016, 22:23

What we used to call cos lettuce is now romaine
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Wed Nov 16 2016, 21:09

Having just written about the Brocolli I bought today - it's in this topic here - https://lowcarbdiabetic.forumotion.co.uk/t1660p25-in-my-shopping-bag-today#24869

I've just seen that it's Number Two in the 21 Best Low Carb Vegetables Smile

Scroll up to see more of the list

- or look here

https://authoritynutrition.com/21-best-low-carb-vegetables/

All the best Jan
    flower
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Wed Nov 16 2016, 21:57

I had Brussels sprouts and chestnuts with my lamb chop yesterday, and nothing but a thickly buttered oatcake with the herring I ate later.

Today I stir-fried mushrooms and multicoloured peppers and chillies and garlic and olives with the last of my ground beef. Oh and bacon of course.

Later I'll have half the avocado with the brown shrimps, I might have them with more bacon and peppers and garlic, I haven't decided yet.

I have ordinary broccoli most of the year but prefer the purple sprouting when it's available, which would be now. I'll probably have that with the other pheasant breast just so I don't get bored.

All good stuff! Just what "nutrition" am I lacking eating all these and not wheat?
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Thu Nov 17 2016, 21:59

Don't you just love Brussels Sprouts!

Looking back to childhood days, I wasn't that keen but the older I got the more I enjoyed them and now I think they are great Smile
    Yes, I'm all grown up LOL!

Enjoyed some tonight with our evening meal ... call it boasting but I cooked them just right  sunny
    They still had a nice bite and not soggy at all !!!

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Fri Nov 18 2016, 21:58

Oh yes that's probably one reason children don't like them, when they're overcooked and soggy, and even when you don't eat school dinners the whole place reeks of the stench of them.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Mon Jan 22 2018, 19:18

Just in case anyone may need reminding about the Best Low-Carb Vegetables here is a list showing 21 thumb-up

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/21-best-low-carb-vegetables#modal-close

We have broccoli and cauliflower tonight with our meat dish.

All the best Jan

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19 2024, 05:23