THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

+6
Jan1
Derek
Sharon
mo1905
Paul1976
Andy12345
10 posters

Have a Chat

Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Have a Chat - Page 17 Empty Re: Have a Chat

Post by Jan1 Sat Apr 14 2018, 11:22

chris c wrote:Supergran

LOL!

sunny sunny sunny
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Sat Apr 14 2018, 11:28

It's Saturday once more ... but I didn't enjoy waking up to this mornings news Sad

I'm sure Parliament would have rejected the strikes made by the US, France and us overnight ...
    I'm sure most ordinary folk in the street would have too ...

???

But as some may say what do I know?

On a positive note, we have a birthday tea to go to later Smile  
    ... and I wish all readers a good weekend.

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Sun Apr 15 2018, 13:48

The birthday get-together yesterday was great fun, and the sun was shining which was great. sunny

Have to say it's with no surprise we are back to April showers at the moment Sad

Enjoy your Sunday

All the best Jan
    graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Post by graham64 Sun Apr 15 2018, 21:44

I was out last night with my brother and cousin had a nice meal but I also had a few pints and I'm still in recovery mode  Embarassed
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Tue Apr 17 2018, 11:12

It's nice to have a night out sometimes ...

Can you believe it's Tuesday already Smile

Hope everyone has a good day.

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Sun Apr 29 2018, 13:23

Just popping in to say ...

Happy Sunday

Whatever your plans are, enjoy your day

flower  flower   flower

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Sun Jun 03 2018, 14:41

Happy Sunday to all who may pop in and have a read ...

It's another sunny day, enjoy.

All the best Jan
    flower
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Sun Jun 03 2018, 21:43

Yes another sunny day here too, we've been fortunate missed almost all the heavy downpours the only exception was Friday night when after a sunny and warm day we had a heavy shower the first real rain for two weeks was good for the garden though  Cool
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Sun Jun 03 2018, 22:35

Yes I missed the thunderstorms which were around and visible in the distance. Suitable quantities of rain for the gardens, farmers and nature though.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Mon Jun 04 2018, 17:59

Looking back at yesterday, it was a joyous day ...

The weather, just ideal for walking and yes, ideal to enjoy an ice cream too ... blackcurrant and Cornish cream ... absolutely delicious Smile  

What I want to know is!
    Where did May go!
    It's the 4th of June today!

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Tue Jun 05 2018, 19:43

Well June is steaming ahead!

Eddie and I checked the diary and the only 'free' day we have this week is Friday!!!
    Who says that when you retire you have time on your hands ...

Hope your day has been good Smile

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Wed Jun 06 2018, 21:38

Scorchio!
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Wed Jun 06 2018, 22:13

Yet another sunny warm day  sunny last year at this time my bedding plants were waterlogged with the incessant rain now I'm having to water them daily, there's now a gap between my lawn and path the soil is that dry will have to get the sprinkler out soon 

Just caught up on the truth about carbs programme on BBC 1, don't think dietitians will be impressed at the promotion of the work by David Unwin and another GP on using low carb with their patients

I recorded it but if you have missed it should be available soon on BBC iplayer
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Fri Jun 08 2018, 19:01

Changing the subject!!!
    Don't you just hate it when you have a windows update …
    It may take a while the instructions say!

Yes, it did and now my computer seems to be working slower than it did before!
    EEK!!!

Where's my computer technician???

EDDIE help please Smile

On a happier note - looking forward to The Bridge tonight on BBC2

Enjoy your evening

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Mon Jun 11 2018, 22:48

Well I've been having fun, for very low values of fun.

When we moved, mother put a load of the money from the house exchange into an account with Legal And General. The fund performed so well that she actually closed another savings account(s) and put that money in too. Part of the function of the fund, apart from paying out what used to be a commendable level of interest, was that you could transfer money in or out on the basis of a phone call, and up until recently the staff were unfailingly pleasant, helpful and efficient.

Obviously the interest payments tailed off but the fund was still growing, so every so often I would transfer capital out. Until this January, when they decided to change the rules. I decided to close the account AND THEY REFUSED TO LET ME.

To cut a long story short, I ended up borrowing money.

Then a pipe burst and I had to turn off all the water except for the kitchen tap.

In then end I had to sell my lovely car and buy an old banger, actually a Nissan Micra. I rang a plumber who is related to one of my neighbours but he never got back to me. I know others but they are busy, and expensive, albeit very good.

OK you know what happened don't you?

The day I got back from the garage I finally got a letter from Legal And General telling me they were closing my fund and transferring the money into my bank. I checked on Sunday and it was in my account, so I hotfooted it back to the garage to see if I could reclaim my car. Guess what, they had already sold it!

Not totally bad news though, they had another Qashqai in stock, a more upmarket one (ie. more pointless gadgets I will never use) but with a newer engine which is paradoxically bigger and more powerful but also more economical (the previous one did over 57 mpg,the petrol Micra does about 46, this one like my previous Renault should exceed the magic number of 60 mpg, so obviously a low carb car!) Also lower emissions and hence lower tax, the previous one went from £70 to £120/year, I can't remember if this one is £20 or £30. Insurance will be higher though. It's done substantially more miles but that shouldn't be a problem. I collect it on Friday.

Now I just need to get the plumber in, then I can start to do all the things I was going to do to the house last winter, have it cleaned from top to bottom and update the kitchen and bathrooms and do some redecorating. Oh and get someone to give the garden a damn good thrashing, I haven't been coping well, while my thyroid is still playing silly buggers. Currently it is running slightly high, enough to cause symptoms but not high enough to be considered treatable under the current Rules. I'll see if I can't persuade my doctor otherwise.

Honestly if it wasn't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all.
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Tue Jun 12 2018, 21:44

chris c wrote:Well I've been having fun, for very low values of fun.

When we moved, mother put a load of the money from the house exchange into an account with Legal And General. The fund performed so well that she actually closed another savings account(s) and put that money in too. Part of the function of the fund, apart from paying out what used to be a commendable level of interest, was that you could transfer money in or out on the basis of a phone call, and up until recently the staff were unfailingly pleasant, helpful and efficient.

Obviously the interest payments tailed off but the fund was still growing, so every so often I would transfer capital out. Until this January, when they decided to change the rules. I decided to close the account AND THEY REFUSED TO LET ME.

To cut a long story short, I ended up borrowing money.

Then a pipe burst and I had to turn off all the water except for the kitchen tap.

In then end I had to sell my lovely car and buy an old banger, actually a Nissan Micra. I rang a plumber who is related to one of my neighbours but he never got back to me. I know others but they are busy, and expensive, albeit very good.

OK you know what happened don't you?

The day I got back from the garage I finally got a letter from Legal And General telling me they were closing my fund and transferring the money into my bank. I checked on Sunday and it was in my account, so I hotfooted it back to the garage to see if I could reclaim my car. Guess what, they had already sold it!

Not totally bad news though, they had another Qashqai in stock, a more upmarket one (ie. more pointless gadgets I will never use) but with a newer engine which is paradoxically bigger and more powerful but also more economical (the previous one did over 57 mpg,the petrol Micra does about 46, this one like my previous Renault should exceed the magic number of 60 mpg, so obviously a low carb car!) Also lower emissions and hence lower tax, the previous one went from £70 to £120/year, I can't remember if this one is £20 or £30. Insurance will be higher though. It's done substantially more miles but that shouldn't be a problem. I collect it on Friday.

Now I just need to get the plumber in, then I can start to do all the things I was going to do to the house last winter, have it cleaned from top to bottom and update the kitchen and bathrooms and do some redecorating. Oh and get someone to give the garden a damn good thrashing, I haven't been coping well, while my thyroid is still playing silly buggers. Currently it is running slightly high, enough to cause symptoms but not high enough to be considered treatable under the current Rules. I'll see if I can't persuade my doctor otherwise.

Honestly if it wasn't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all.

Bloody hell Chris you definitely have run out of luck, I just don't understand why Legal and General would not allow you access to your cash, no matter what new rules they've introduced they have no right to stop you getting what after all is your money. I would think there is some way you can complain about your treatment and maybe seek recompense for the money lost in having to sell your car and borrow money.

Here's hoping you run of bad luck is over  Smile
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Wed Jun 13 2018, 21:35

graham64 wrote:

Bloody hell Chris you definitely have run out of luck, I just don't understand why Legal and General would not allow you access to your cash, no matter what new rules they've introduced they have no right to stop you getting what after all is your money. I would think there is some way you can complain about your treatment and maybe seek recompense for the money lost in having to sell your car and borrow money.

Oh it's all about proving your identity to their satisfaction. Yet strangely when you get bills they don't give a damn who you are . . .
    Long birder

Post by Long birder Wed Jun 13 2018, 22:08

chris c wrote:
    graham64 wrote:

Oh it's all about proving your identity to their satisfaction. Yet strangely when you get bills they don't give a damn who you are . . .

I bet if you were a Russian billionaire they would just rub their hands together in glee.
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Thu Jun 14 2018, 21:52

Derek wrote:I bet if you were a Russian billionaire they would just rub their hands together in glee.

If Chris was a Russian billionaire they wouldn't dare stopping him from withdrawing cash for fear of upsetting the Russian mafia  bitenails
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Fri Jun 15 2018, 23:00

More disaster, but not personal this time. The newsagents in town burned down, it appears to have been an arson attack on the people living in the flat upstairs. The owner was mortified as it used to be his parents' shop. Fortunately they got the parrot out alive.

Also some friends had been in Ipswich near to the time and place of the most recent stabbing. Not the sort of thing you'd expect in Ipswich. Lowestoft maybe.

Well I just collected the new car, so far so good, and hopefully a plumber will be coming next week so I can stop smelling like this.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Sat Jun 16 2018, 16:20

Just been catching up with the news and happenings on this thread Exclamation

I hope things will be a little better for you Chris, enjoy the 'new car' and good luck when the plumber comes.

By comparison life round here has been quite quiet … perhaps I shouldn't have written that, it's sure to change now  Exclamation

All the best Jan
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Sat Jun 16 2018, 22:22

chris c wrote:More disaster, but not personal this time. The newsagents in town burned down, it appears to have been an arson attack on the people living in the flat upstairs. The owner was mortified as it used to be his parents' shop. Fortunately they got the parrot out alive.

Also some friends had been in Ipswich near to the time and place of the most recent stabbing. Not the sort of thing you'd expect in Ipswich. Lowestoft maybe.

Well I just collected the new car, so far so good, and hopefully a plumber will be coming next week so I can stop smelling like this.

I'm fortunate with plumbers they are in plentiful supply here, the one I'm using just lives round the corner from me he's very reasonable when it comes to prices too. 

Perhaps you should take up a course in plumbing Chris  Wink your never to old to learn and just think of the money you could save  Smile
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Sun Jun 17 2018, 13:53

It's Fathers Day

If you are celebrating today … enjoy

sunny  

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Mon Jun 18 2018, 23:03

Sod's law, the plumber who was supposed to turn up at my friends didn't. Like the one I rang, too busy. Mostly round these parts they are good and expensive and busy or crap (and also expensive). I once read of a merchant banker who retrained as a plumber.

Good news, the "new" car goes well though it's a bit frustrating being almost identical but slightly different than my previous one. I already got it up to 64 mpg, very impressive.

Going down town tomorrow, see what's occurring with the newsagents and adjacent properties

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-44451209
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Tue Jun 19 2018, 22:07

Not having much luck with the plumbers Chris are you, the problem is having very few around and being in demand they won't be bothered about missing appointments as there is plenty of work about for them.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06 2024, 14:28