THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

3 posters

Arrow root flour

thinestever82
    thinestever82

Female Posts : 72

Arrow root flour Empty Arrow root flour

Post by thinestever82 Sat Oct 31 2015, 23:33

Hello to all!

I am doing the Rosedale diet (LCHF) and in the support desk there was this starch mentioned that can be used but from what I see it has a high glycemic index and I am a bit confused whether to use or not. It is the same thing as agar agar? Does anybody know about it and has ever used it? What do you think about it?

Thank you for your time and help! Wink
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Arrow root flour Empty Re: Arrow root flour

Post by Jan1 Sun Nov 01 2015, 18:17

Hi there

I believe 'Arrow Root Flour' can be used for those with gluten intolerance, but it is perhaps not suitable for those who are diabetic or following a LCHF lifestyle, as "arrowroot is almost pure carbohydrates and devoid of protein".

Read more here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arrowroot

It is my understanding that 'Agar Agar' is a natural vegetable gelatin and may be used in certified organic foods. It is not something I have used ... but you can read more here
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agar

With any food if you are diabetic it is always best to check your blood sugar readings regularly, always be cautious, and find out which foods you can tolerate and which you cannot.

Hope this may be of some help to you.

All the best Jan
    thinestever82
    thinestever82

Post by thinestever82 Sun Nov 01 2015, 23:13

Thank you Jan. In fact I also found data that is too high in pure carbs. It's true that the glycemic load if you use it one tbs or so it's not a big deal but I just don't feel like to use it.

I found that as a thickener would be best the guar gum which doesn't have any glycemic index.
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Mon Nov 02 2015, 21:22

I've had recommended, and tried, guar and xanthan gums which are non-glycemic, but use with caution unless you like to eat glue!
    thinestever82
    thinestever82

Post by thinestever82 Mon Nov 02 2015, 23:28

Chris, I would avoid xantan gum - heard that can easily cause diarrhea and since I have IBS I need to be cautious. The guar gum I have tried it several years ago but I used it too much. I should practice!
    thinestever82
    thinestever82

Post by thinestever82 Wed Nov 04 2015, 00:36

I have read about the baobab powder which should be very good preventing the blood sugar to raise and also can be used in baking and as a thickener. It is said that has a low GI but I wasn't able to find the specific data. Anyway, the nutritional data are attached. Has someone tried it?

http://baobabfruitco.com/pdf/Pdf/BaobabFruitPulp_SolubleFiber70SF.pdf
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Wed Nov 04 2015, 22:13

thinestever82 wrote:Chris, I would avoid xantan gum - heard that can easily cause diarrhea and since I have IBS I need to be cautious. The guar gum I have tried it several years ago but I used it too much. I should practice!
    Oh I didn't know that! It's important not to use too much of either.

What do you want to use it for? When I make sauces like curry etc. I basically just use more of the spices, especially turmeric, it gets thick enough anyway.

My ex used okra in some things, that's the basis of gumbo. They may be available tinned but I can't get very enthusiastic about them.
    thinestever82
    thinestever82

Post by thinestever82 Wed Nov 04 2015, 23:07

Chris,

I was thinking about the gravy for the turkey that I want to make this Christmas for the whole family but I think that is impossible to make it without flour so I guess I will need to avoid altogether.
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Wed Nov 04 2015, 23:24

Well if it's only for Christmas, that's only one day a year so I think you could probably relax a bit! Just so long as you don't make a habit of it!

Ever since before I was born my mother cooked Christmas dinner. We would have either of both of my grans over (my grandfathers had both died before I was born). 

When we moved here she was nearly 90, so after probably 60 or 70 years of cooking Christmas dinner she decided to give it a rest and we would visit relatives who lived nearby and they would cook for us.

One year I tried an experiment. First I ate a small carby snack about half an hour before the dinner was ready. I had a glass of wine with the meal, then after the first course I went for a power walk around the village. When I got back I had the Christmas pudding with cream and brandy, then went for a longer walk. I took a wrong turn and ended up in the next village and marched back just in time for Christmas cake (a small piece).

I managed to not go over 6 (108) all day which I thought worked pretty well! OK I didn't eat ALL the potatoes and parsnips but I ate *some* of them. Other years I didn't do so well but for only one day a year I wasn't that fussed!
    thinestever82
    thinestever82

Post by thinestever82 Thu Nov 05 2015, 01:43

Chris,

the diet I am doing is very strict about few things and besides, I would be tempted to not eat just a little but a lot. I know myself. Besides this, I should be having a check blood exam in January and I cannot ruin everything for a dinner. In fact the gravy is full of flour. Although I found a video of Ramsay doing a gravy without any flour so if he does that, then it shouldn't be so bad. I could be doing it for myself only. No one except my husband knows that I am on diet and I don't want to seem different with my family. I prefer giving them different explanations about why I looks "different". I don't want any of the expectations. If you know what I mean.

The fact is that if I need to choose between a little gravy and walking for miles or just eating other stuff with calmness, I would choose the latest. It's just that I know that if I go off the wagon, even for only a dinner, I would feel so guilty that I would be tempted to just over cross the limit.
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Thu Nov 05 2015, 22:29

OK, you know yourself best!

You're doing very well anyway.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26 2024, 16:51