THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

4 posters

Sharks and what a waste

Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Sharks and what a waste Empty Sharks and what a waste

Post by Eddie Thu Sep 04 2014, 18:56

It is estimated around 100 million sharks are killed per year for shark fin soup. These magnificent creatures are caught, their fins are hacked off, and they are thrown back into the sea to bleed to death. WTF is wrong with the human race ? Will we ever learn ?

Eddie
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2439

Sharks and what a waste Empty Re: Sharks and what a waste

Post by Paul1976 Thu Sep 04 2014, 19:09

eddie1 wrote:It is estimated around 100 million sharks are killed per year for shark fin soup. These magnificent creatures are caught, their fins are hacked off, and they are thrown back into the sea to bleed to death. WTF is wrong with the human race ? Will we ever learn ?

Eddie

I've spent nearly all of my 38 years trying to figure out the evil and cruelty that man does in the name of money or vanity and I still don't get it! I doubt I ever will mate TBH! I kinda "Got" a line from the 1991 movie 'Terminator 2' where Arnold Schwarzenegger's character stated to the 10 year old confused John Connor after John said "We're not gonna make it...People I mean..." and the 'Terminator' replied..."It's in your nature to destroy yourselves!"
    That always stuck with me and rang true.
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Male Posts : 1646

Post by Andy12345 Thu Sep 04 2014, 19:10

100 million? out of interest if they stopped for 5 years would that mean there would be 500 million more sharks in the sea looking for food (humans) ? or would natural selection make them stop having babies? in which case if they are killed painlessly? and the bodies thrown back in didnt feed other animals? i dont see a problem with it, i may feel differently if i were a shark though, if i was worried about killing animals for our own pleasure id choose a harmless creature like a pig, but the pork chops i just ate deter me from such a thought

if on the other hand the sharks are treated cruelly in the process, that sucks, generally the human race is dreadful, i consider us a virus on the planet and the quicker we wipe ourselves out the better off the planet will be, no rush though, i havent won the lottery yet
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Thu Sep 04 2014, 19:29

Andy are you pulling my chain ? You are a fisherman. We fish with barbless hooks, we use knotless nets so we do not damage fish scales. We land the fish on a soft padded unhooking  mat and return the fish to the water, the same way it came out of the water. Somewhat different to hacking a fish up, and chucking it back into the water to die a slow death don’t you think.

Eddie

My fledgling fishing blog is here http://solentsearcher.blogspot.co.uk/ Take up fishing get outside and enjoy the countryside and being close to nature. You could do worse.
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Post by Andy12345 Thu Sep 04 2014, 19:47

ok if thats what they do then i agree its awful, but only because they are being cruel, i dont disagree with the fact they eat them
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Thu Sep 04 2014, 20:09

Andy I am a meat and fish eater. I realise part of the money I pay for meat and fish includes a fee, to someone else for killing for me. From what I know animals in the UK are killed swiftly and as painlessly as possible. Also, from what I know almost all of the fish or animal is used. I have no problem  with killing to live, (this is nature or the law of the jungle) but when 90 odd percent is chucked back into the sea, and is not killed swiftly, that sticks in my craw.

Others have their own opinions, such as vegetarians and vegans, and just as valid, maybe more.

Eddie
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Post by Paul1976 Thu Sep 04 2014, 20:14

I eat meat but 'Celebrate' the animal I say if we take it's life for food-Give it a good life from birth to slaughter and then make it's passing as painless as possible and then use as much as possible from the carcass so there's minimal waste and the animal didn't die for nothing!

Just my take

Andy12345
    Andy12345

Post by Andy12345 Thu Sep 04 2014, 20:15

i agree, but its not the law of the jungle, a fox will get into a chicken coop and kill 50 chickens then take one away to eat it, a heron that catches a fish it cannot eat will stab it nd kill it then fly away without eating it, there are lots of examples of animals behaving like animals, we are the most selfish animal on the planet, if im full ill throw away the rest of the meal, and yes i am a fisherman as you know but do you really think hooking a fish through its mouth with a hook then dragging it through the water kicking and screaming (and lets face it the harder they kick and scream the better) then bring it out onto the bank on the soft landing mat while it gasps suffocating why we take a picture is not cruel?
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Post by Andy12345 Thu Sep 04 2014, 20:18

im not saying your not right, you are its terrible

Post by Guest Thu Sep 04 2014, 20:33

I don't agree with any barbaric ill treatment  to any animal , in water or out ....
    So much cruelty where the world of animals are concerned ...
    Each to their own diet choice of course....
    But the suffering that goes on in the world is unbelievable ...

Humans suffer of course , take the bucket water challenge , a good way to raise money ....but a waste some might think ....little children in some countries have to walk miles in search of water .....they don't always get a bucket full, neither do their animals ....do we waste water like we can waste food ....can't stand waste, not while others are starving...

The triangle of food seen on the thread posted by Eddie , shows good food at the top of the triangle ...does anyone ever get there to reach the level of self actualisation . If we did and we can would it be a better world for all humans and animals ....
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Thu Sep 04 2014, 20:39

Andy who knows whether I am right or wrong, who can say. All the fish I fish for have been bred in captivity in my clubs breeding lakes. At a certain age and size they go into match lakes, when around 10lbs in weight into large lakes. Possibly none would exist but for club members paying for their upkeep. Is it cruel ? well science says fish have a very limited nervous system and their lips are as tough as old boots. As for the fear factor, I have more than once caught the same fish within half an hour, not too much trauma there I suspect.

That being said, If I could wave a magic wand, I would live on a remote Scottish Island, and I would kill anything for my survival. I believe a man is a hunter or provider by nature. Maybe much of the grief in the world is because men have become sheep and have lost their way.

Eddie
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Post by Andy12345 Thu Sep 04 2014, 20:56

theres no one could doubt your right about throwing the sharks in to bleed to death, its dreadful!

but i think we choose to think of ourselves as better than someone else because they did that and i wouldnt, i know fly fisherman that have called me cruel for fishing for pleasure and returning the fish when ive questioned them killing them, are there degrees of cruelty? or is it black and white, are we cruel or just a little cruel sometimes, or is sin, sin? im not sticking up for the assholes doing that to the sharks, thats mindless cruelty, are the morons killing the tigers because they are coming near their villages and threatening their children really morons? when their childrens lives are at risk? whilst killing an endangered species? i know this is different im just saying, the bloke on the boat killing the sharks to feed his family may not feel cruel although i think he is, would he be more cruel to kill the shark humainly then cut off the fin? would he be cruel to cut off the fin then eat the rest of the shark? i dont think the shark would thank him, am i just in the mood for a debate? lol maybe
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Post by Paul1976 Thu Sep 04 2014, 21:00

eddie1 wrote: If I could wave a magic wand, I would live on a remote Scottish Island, and I would kill anything for my survival. I believe a man is a hunter or provider by nature. Maybe much of the grief in the world is because men have become sheep and have lost their way.

Eddie

My bold but if you headed up to 'Caledonia' and went all 'Bear grylls' style-you would use every available part of the carcass to aid your survival and use every bit possible of whatever you had killed? Even boiling the bones to render down the tasty marrowbone for a stock or stew? I don't reckon neither of us would dismember a chicken for example,just to eat it's beak and throw it to one side in agony which is what they do to sharks for soup as you rightly say.

Paul

Andy12345
    Andy12345

Post by Andy12345 Thu Sep 04 2014, 21:12

would it still be cruel if the sharks where called dug? affraid affraid
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Thu Sep 04 2014, 21:16

OK Andy you have me bang to rights, I'm going vegan, bring on the plastic shoes and a bowl of gruel three times a day. lol!

Eddie
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Post by Andy12345 Thu Sep 04 2014, 21:17

plastic has feeling too Smile
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Post by Paul1976 Thu Sep 04 2014, 21:17

Andy12345 wrote:would it still be cruel if the sharks where called dug? affraid affraid

Naughty Andy! Tut tut tut! lol!
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Post by Andy12345 Thu Sep 04 2014, 21:22

a theme that has run through my life unfortunately lol
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Post by Jan1 Thu Sep 04 2014, 21:41

Budgie wrote:I don't agree with any barbaric ill treatment  to any animal , in water or out ....
    So much cruelty where the world of animals are concerned ...
    Each to their own diet choice of course....
    But the suffering that goes on in the world is unbelievable ...

Humans suffer of course , take the bucket water challenge , a good way to raise money ....but a waste some might think ....little children in some countries have to walk miles in search of water .....they don't always get a bucket full, neither do their animals ....do we waste water like we can waste food ....can't stand waste, not while others are starving...

The triangle of food seen on the thread posted by Eddie , shows good food at the top of the triangle ...does anyone ever get there to reach the level of self actualisation . If we did and we can would it be a better world for all humans and animals ....

The older I get the more I am aware that this world is far from perfect. We can only do our best.

That said it is true both animals and humans suffer. Who is it that should know better?
    Looking back in time 'humans' killed for survival, I believe they did it as humanly as possible ...I could be wrong. But they killed and used the whole animal. Native American Indians did this ......did the white man ? No, I think is the answer, he left them to rot on the prairie's, and killed them only for their skins.

This planet of ours can not suddenly get larger, the amount of food, water, energy available has to be managed for all to enjoy, succeed and live.

Those with wealth and power always hold the upper hand, the balance is so often with them ....unfortunately, in my opinion,  they do not always get the answer correct. We do all have a voice ...do we choose to use it wisely?

Going back to the original title, we do treat sharks ......animals cruelly but often we are cruel to our own kind.

But what are your views ?

All the best Jan
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Thu Sep 04 2014, 22:04

OK I think I have sorted this problem out Andy. We go fishing chuck out lot's of ground bait, so the fish are well fed. We cast out the usual tackle but with no hooks. At the end of the day we draw a straw for who did the best. After dossing around all day, having a great laugh and getting a sun tan, we have a two hour sesh in the pub and waddle home. 12 hours out of the wives way and great for avoiding any work. What's wrong with that ? That's why we go fishing, yes.

Eddie
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Post by Andy12345 Thu Sep 04 2014, 22:13

yessss LMAO!
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Thu Sep 04 2014, 22:26

Andy a true story about fishing. Some years ago Fergus a member here and my main mentor told us he had been fishing off the Scottish coast. Now, Ferg is nothing if not fanatical about BG numbers. He actually tested the BG numbers on the mackerel he had caught and asked us to guess at the BG numbers. We all had a guess from 10 to 3, in the end we gave up and said OK what were the numbers. He answered the meter read low on all of 'em, mind you he said, the poor blighters had all been dead for several hours.

Jeez that guy certainly knows how to have a larf, and control diabetes !

Eddie

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26 2024, 17:43