THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

5 posters

Three-year-old girl diagnosed with type 2 diabetes.

Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Three-year-old girl diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. Empty Three-year-old girl diagnosed with type 2 diabetes.

Post by Eddie Thu Sep 17 2015, 15:03

A three-and-a-half-year-old girl has been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, possibly the youngest child known to have developed the disease, which is linked to diet and obesity.

The girl, from a Hispanic family, was diagnosed in Houston, Texas, by Dr Michael Yafi, a paediatric endocrinologist with the University of Texas. In a written presentation to the European Association for the Study of Diabetes conference in Stockholm, Yafi said she had been brought to his clinic because she was obese.

The girl weighed 35kg (5st 7lbs), putting her in the heaviest 5% of children her age. She was also in the top 5% for height and body mass index (BMI), a measure of obesity.

The child was suffering from excessive thirst and frequent urination, but her medical history was otherwise unremarkable. She was born at term weighing 3.2kg(7lbs). Although both her parents were obese, there was no family history of diabetes.

A review of the family’s diet found they had “poor nutritional habits”, the conference heard. Their food was high in calories and fat. Tests suggested diabetes, but the results ruled out type 1, which usually has its onset in childhood.

“Based on symptoms, physical findings of obesity and laboratory results, the diagnosis of type 2 diabetes was made,” Yafi said.

The child was put on metformin, an oral drug given to people with type 2 diabetes. Her family was asked to change the types of food they most often ate and to eat smaller portions, and to encourage the girl to be more active.

The treatment worked. The girl lost weight and the drugs were gradually reduced over six months, at the end of which she was 75% of the weight she had been when she first arrived at the clinic. Her blood glucose levels had returned to normal and she no longer had type 2 diabetes.

More on this story here  http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/sep/16/type-2-diabetes-three-year-old-girl-obesity

"A review of the family’s diet found they had “poor nutritional habits”, the conference heard. Their food was high in calories and fat" I bet is was high in carbs and junk.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Three-year-old girl diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. Empty Re: Three-year-old girl diagnosed with type 2 diabetes.

Post by Jan1 Thu Sep 17 2015, 18:19

Like many who may have already read this ... it is not good, but I was heartened to read 'the treatment worked'.

I don't think the article mentioned what the treatment was but could it have been cutting the bread, pasta, rice and other high carbs from her diet?

I do hope both the little girl and her family go forwards to enjoy a happy and healthy life together.

All the best Jan
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2439

Three-year-old girl diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. Empty Re: Three-year-old girl diagnosed with type 2 diabetes.

Post by Paul1976 Thu Sep 17 2015, 18:25

Jan1 wrote:Like many who may have already read this ... it is not good, but I was heartened to read 'the treatment worked'.

I don't think the article mentioned what the treatment was but could it have been cutting the bread, pasta, rice and other high carbs from her diet?

I do hope both the little girl and her family go forwards to enjoy a happy and healthy life together.

All the best Jan

Yeah,me too! I was shocked at how young this kiddie had been struck with T2 but I'm glad they've turned it around as the outcome for her if this was allowed to continue on a downward spiral doesn't bear thinking about! Sad Just hope things continue to work out well for her.
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Thu Sep 17 2015, 20:29

My first thought was that it could have been a MODY or some other genetic form, such as runs in one side of my family: I first started having symptoms when I was about five or six, but I was rail thin.

Looking at her weight and diet and what they said about no family history, I suspect it WAS Type 2, but yes, no mention made about all the carbs she would have been eating Sad
    graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Post by graham64 Thu Sep 17 2015, 22:21

Come on guys it's the fat wot dun it  banghead it's been scientifically proven to be the cause of the diabetes and obesity epidemic  Rolling Eyes
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Fri Sep 18 2015, 17:44

Well in mice, who evolved to eat grains, fat *does* induce diabetes.

However, in people, who evolved to eat fats, it's the other way round.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26 2024, 17:01