THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

2 posters

Banting – and Tim Noakes – saved my life: businessman’s poignant video

graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Banting – and Tim Noakes – saved my life: businessman’s poignant video Empty Banting – and Tim Noakes – saved my life: businessman’s poignant video

Post by graham64 Fri Aug 28 2015, 00:44

In a video below, Cape Town businessman Brian Berkman tells a poignant, cautionary tale of how he once weighed 153kg, was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, and left with self-loathing, believing the only option left open to him was bariatric surgery.

Bariatric surgery, in my humble opinion, is barbaric. Sure, it’s a miracle of modern medicine, and it saves lives. But it is extreme, invasive treatment for morbid obesity that can involve rerouting the digestive system past most of the stomach, or removing some of the stomach altogether.

In a video below, Cape Town businessman Brian Berkman tells a poignant, cautionary tale of how he once weighed 153kg, was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, and left with self-loathing, believing the only option left open to him was bariatric surgery.
    Bariatric surgery, in my humble opinion, is barbaric. Sure, it’s a miracle of modern medicine, and it saves lives. But it is extreme, invasive treatment for morbid obesity that can involve rerouting the digestive system past most of the stomach, or removing some of the stomach altogether.

And it doesn’t always work.

Berkman didn’t have the surgery. Instead, in 2011, he heard UCT emeritus professor Tim Noakes talking on the radio about the dangers of carbs for diabetes, and Banting – low-carb, high-fat eating – to treat it. The rest, as they say, is happier history. Berkman changed his diet drastically, cut the carbs, ate fat, and by 2013, was a shadow of his former fat self after losing half his body weight (73kg). He has maintained the weight loss till today, and has no symptoms of diabetes.
    Best of all, he feels fantastic, energetic and alive. He says simply: “Banting (and Tim Noakes, as Berkman  told me in earlier interviews) saved my life.”

This video is one of many “real testimonials” on The Real Meal Revolution website, run by  Jonno Proudfoot, the phenomenal Cape Town Banting chef who “fell into food by mistake”.

Berkman‘s blisteringly honest story makes inspirational listening on losing weight quickly, safely, without feeling deprived and hungry. He proves that in all the hype, hope and science around diet and weight loss, it’s easy to forget that food is not just about nutrition or even only about health. It is embedded in the human psyche, a basic human need that’s as much about giving and receiving love as it is about survival.

Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Banting – and Tim Noakes – saved my life: businessman’s poignant video Empty Re: Banting – and Tim Noakes – saved my life: businessman’s poignant video

Post by Jan1 Fri Aug 28 2015, 18:16

Lovely video to watch and listen to.

Don't know if any other readers have had time to watch it? But the last paragraph rang true:

" Berkman‘s blisteringly honest story makes inspirational listening on losing weight quickly, safely, without feeling deprived and hungry. He proves that in all the hype, hope and science around diet and weight loss, it’s easy to forget that food is not just about nutrition or even only about health. It is embedded in the human psyche, a basic human need that’s as much about giving and receiving love as it is about survival."

It is good to share stories and experiences Smile

All the best Jan

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26 2024, 17:01