THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

4 posters

Nutrition and Alzheimer's disease: The detrimental role of a high carbohydrate diet.

Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Nutrition and Alzheimer's disease: The detrimental role of a high carbohydrate diet. Empty Nutrition and Alzheimer's disease: The detrimental role of a high carbohydrate diet.

Post by Eddie Tue Aug 11 2015, 12:55

Us diabetics hear so much about blindness, limb amputation and kidney failure, it is not surprising we fear these complications the most. As all know here these complications can be avoided, and in some cases reversed if treated quickly and earlier enough. In my time I have seen family and friends die from all sorts of causes, the worst I have seen is Alzheimer's disease, it is a truly horrible way to check out. This is an interesting read and once again our old friend low carb high fat may be the answer.

Nutrition and Alzheimer's disease: The detrimental role of a high carbohydrate diet.

"Alzheimer's disease is a devastating disease whose recent increase in incidence rates has broad implications for rising health care costs. Huge amounts of research money are currently being invested in seeking the underlying cause, with corresponding progress in understanding the disease progression. In this paper, we highlight how an excess of dietary carbohydrates, particularly fructose, alongside a relative deficiency in dietary fats and cholesterol, may lead to the development of Alzheimer's disease.

A first step in the pathophysiology of the disease is represented by advanced glycation end-products in crucial plasma proteins concerned with fat, cholesterol, and oxygen transport. This leads to cholesterol deficiency in neurons, which significantly impairs their ability to function. Over time, a cascade response leads to impaired glutamate signaling, increased oxidative damage, mitochondrial and lysosomal dysfunction, increased risk to microbial infection, and, ultimately, apoptosis. Other neurodegenerative diseases share many properties with alzheimer's disease, and may also be due in large part to this same underlying cause.

Recent population studies have confirmed a correlation between low blood serum cholesterol and both dementia and Parkinson's disease. A study published in 2007 compared three elderly population groups: subjects with dementia, subjects with depression, and controls. They found that those with dementia and depression had significantly lower serum cholesterol levels than the controls. Another study looking at Parkinson's disease among the elderly showed that those with the lowest LDL had 3.5 times the risk of Parkinson's disease compared to those with the highest serum LDL levels.

"Simple dietary modification, towards fewer highly-processed carbohydrates and relatively more fats and cholesterol, is likely a protective measure against Alzheimer's disease."

My bold.

Link to the full paper and well worth your time reading I reckon.

http://people.csail.mit.edu/seneff/EJIM_PUBLISHED.pdf
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Nutrition and Alzheimer's disease: The detrimental role of a high carbohydrate diet. Empty Re: Nutrition and Alzheimer's disease: The detrimental role of a high carbohydrate diet.

Post by Jan1 Sun Aug 23 2015, 10:46

Eddie wrote:

"Simple dietary modification, towards fewer highly-processed carbohydrates and relatively more fats and cholesterol, is likely a protective measure against Alzheimer's disease."

Link to the full paper and well worth your time reading I reckon.

http://people.csail.mit.edu/seneff/EJIM_PUBLISHED.pdf

I found this article an interesting read, and as most readers will know, I am not a diabetic but I have low carbed (50) per day for seven years. It makes perfect sense to me to not base my diet on sugar and starch.
    Alzheimer's is in my family and I do think that by reducing carbohydrates and sugars from my diet / menu plans does aid better health ... perhaps especially the older we get?

All the best Jan
    Pasha

Male Posts : 68

Nutrition and Alzheimer's disease: The detrimental role of a high carbohydrate diet. Empty Re: Nutrition and Alzheimer's disease: The detrimental role of a high carbohydrate diet.

Post by Pasha Sun Aug 23 2015, 15:11

Alzheimers, AKA diabetes of the brain. Also known as type 3 diabetes.

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/09/25/bittman-is-alzheimers-type-3-diabetes/

This disease is in my family as well. When I visited my mother in a care home I was shocked to see some relatively young people [ 40- 50 ] with this terrible sickness, just sitting around and staring into space.
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Sun Aug 23 2015, 19:51

Yes a couple of my neighbours developed this. One was only in her early seventies and used to be a rally driver. Not an exit I'd choose. Pass the butter.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27 2024, 05:43