THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

+6
Indy51
mo1905
zand
Eddie
chris c
Jan1
10 posters

Have a Chat !

chris c
    chris c

Have a Chat ! - Page 2 Empty Re: Have a Chat !

Post by chris c Wed Aug 12 2015, 14:42

Oh yes, I've had a robin come to my hand for mealworms, and he/she and a bluetit used to fly in and out the back door and help themselves. A couple of times I found the robin in the sunroom when I was sure the door was closed. Eventually I worked out it would come in the kitchen window, even when only open a crack, and fly through the house to get them. Stupid they ain't!

My neigbhours, who used to have an allotment and provide our runner beans when we first moved here and mother took a sabbatical, gave it up due to a combination of age and hip replacements, but they grow just enough for themselves in the garden, have just started to pick, as has the butcher's mother. Mine are still a week or two away.
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Thu Aug 13 2015, 15:29

Did you ever have a kingfisher perch on your tackle? My cousin, recently retired to Romsey, claims never to have seen one, but I'm sure I remember seeing them up and down the big trout streams around the New Forest.
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Post by Eddie Thu Aug 13 2015, 16:33

chris c wrote:Did you ever have a kingfisher perch on your tackle? My cousin, recently retired to Romsey, claims never to have seen one, but I'm sure I remember seeing them up and down the big trout streams around the New Forest.

Did you ever have a kingfisher perch on your tackle? good grief Man, had my fair share of birds when I was young, but never a Kingfisher on my tackle.

Sorry Chris I couldn't resist it.

You are right Kingfishers feed mainly on small fish. They burrow into riverside banks to make their nests. My favourite UK bird. A great photograph, not one of mine I hasten to add.

Have a Chat ! - Page 2 Kingfisher
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Thu Aug 13 2015, 19:58

Eddie wrote:
    Did you ever have a kingfisher perch on your tackle? good grief Man, had my fair share of birds when I was young, but never a Kingfisher on my tackle.

Sorry Chris I couldn't resist it.  

I know you too well! <G>

Yes I know several fishermen who have had them, they can't resist an overhanging rod.

One place I lived we had them in the garden. They nested in a stream bank across the fields and brought the young to the garden pond. They'd even sit on the greenhouse roof and fish sticklebacks out of the waterbutt. Annoyingly they made exactly the same tuneless squeak as the landlord's wheelbarrow.
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Fri Aug 14 2015, 18:48

Ever seen an Osprey?

I went for a walk along the estuary, this time of year there are a lot of returning migrants who have bred up in or near the Arctic. Saw a bunch of common things and one or two less common ones.

I'd read there'd been an osprey recently and was amazed to see it fly slowly up the estuary, turn around and fly back, them turn around and give us a third pass. Huge it was and quite unmistakeable. That was the first time I ever saw one outside of Scotland, though a couple of years back a fisherman told me there had been one on the private fishing lakes a few miles up the road. They pass through quite regularly but I never usually get to see them.
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Fri Aug 14 2015, 19:39

chris c wrote:Ever seen an Osprey?

I went for a walk along the estuary, this time of year there are a lot of returning migrants who have bred up in or near the Arctic. Saw a bunch of common things and one or two less common ones.

I'd read there'd been an osprey recently and was amazed to see it fly slowly up the estuary, turn around and fly back, them turn around and give us a third pass. Huge it was and quite unmistakeable. That was the first time I ever saw one outside of Scotland, though a couple of years back a fisherman told me there had been one on the private fishing lakes a few miles up the road. They pass through quite regularly but I never usually get to see them.

Ever seen an Osprey? No I don't think I have. Catching fish is only a small part for why I go fishing, it's being outside in beautiful surrounding is what drives  me. I carry a Observer's Book Of Birds with me, (together with a camera) printed in 1956 in my coat pocket, marvellous little books, I wonder if they are still printed. This a little river I fish on, and at my clubs lakes, both have some Grey Herons as residents, now they look fantastic, hunting for fish or truly majestic in flight.

Have a Chat ! - Page 2 River+Gade+May+1st

The River Gade on May the first 2013

Have a Chat ! - Page 2 Copy+of+Grey+Heron+River+Gade

A Grey Heron hunts for fish on the Gade
    mo1905
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2305

Post by mo1905 Fri Aug 14 2015, 20:05

Great pics Eddie. You almost make fishing look enjoyable ;-)
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Fri Aug 14 2015, 20:47

Hehe, things have changed a lot in the intervening years. Global warming has brought a lot of new species into the country, and some things that would have been rare in your book have now become common. Little Egrets have now spread from the south coast and their big brother the great white egret is now becoming more widespread, along with chetti's warblers

I remember climbing half way up a mountain near Rhayader to catch a brief glimpse of a red kite. They were reintroduced to England and are now spreading on their own. There was a famous map showing the distribution of buzzards mainly in the west and north and gamekeepers mainly in the south and east, now we have buzzards in Suffolk and Norfolk.

Maybe you should see if Santa will bring you a new and updated bird book?
    mo1905
    mo1905

Post by mo1905 Fri Aug 14 2015, 21:08

On a serious note, I see much less "run of the mill" birds such as sparrows, robins etc. I'm sure when I was a kid these were so much more common.
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Fri Aug 14 2015, 21:57

mo1905 wrote:Great pics Eddie. You almost make fishing look enjoyable ;-)

This is why Mo total paradise and tranquillity. Play the first short video at the top of page. I would have embedded the link here, but this software won't have it. My oasis of calm, sadly very much neglected. But I'm working on it.

http://solentsearcher.blogspot.co.uk/
    Indy51
    Indy51

Female Posts : 344

Post by Indy51 Fri Aug 14 2015, 22:01

There is a pair of ospreys I see every day in my walk along the estuary. Quite stunning to watch. Getting close to breeding season over here (ours are sedentary and not migratory) and they are busily refurbishing their HUGE nest. The dead tree was about to fall over last season and they abandoned it for a man made one, but someone went and propped the old tree up straighter with metal polls, so they've moved back out to the strip of land between a lagoon and the estuary proper. Fantastic sight when you see them fishing.
    graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Post by graham64 Fri Aug 14 2015, 22:04

mo1905 wrote:On a serious note, I see much less "run of the mill" birds such as sparrows, robins etc. I'm sure when I was a kid these were so much more common.

I still see plenty of sparrows, loads of blue tits and there's always a robin about and a few wrens, but the biggest decline in my garden is starlings.

Got plenty of fat juicy wood pigeons which I hate with vengeance Twisted Evil should see the state of my car when it's been dive bombed banghead
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Fri Aug 14 2015, 22:22

Have a Chat ! - Page 2 Norway-osprey_2418997k

Not my pic. far too accomplished for me, brilliant.
    Indy51
    Indy51

Female Posts : 344

Post by Indy51 Sat Aug 15 2015, 02:50

Found some great shots taken by a photographer in WA:

http://www.birdsinbackyards.net/forum/WA-osprey
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Post by Jan1 Sat Aug 15 2015, 11:31

Indy51 wrote:Found some great shots taken by a photographer in WA:

http://www.birdsinbackyards.net/forum/WA-osprey

They are great pictures Indy.

... I've always liked the robin

Have a Chat ! - Page 2 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQBOPoLbperbURU06_2sS9u5LKICzp8s8amSJo-Ul7rAnWyF2cLhw

Funny how they feature on so many Christmas Cards  Exclamation

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Sat Aug 15 2015, 18:14

graham64 wrote:
    mo1905 wrote:On a serious note, I see much less "run of the mill" birds such as sparrows, robins etc. I'm sure when I was a kid these were so much more common.

I still see plenty of sparrows, loads of blue tits and there's always a robin about and a few wrens, but the biggest decline in my garden is starlings.

Got plenty of fat juicy wood pigeons which I hate with vengeance Twisted Evil should see the state of my car when it's been dive bombed banghead

Oh yes, house sparrows and starlings are much less common than they were in many places, we still have goodly numbers of sparrows here and even still some tree sparrows which have all but died out in many other places.

I was just redressing the balance a bit with some of the things that have moved in and spread. Especially there are a lot more top predators which suggests there's plenty for them to eat. I wish there was something big enough to eat some of the woodpigeons though. So do the farmers, some winters I sound my horn driving past a rapefield and it looks like a thousand bomber raid as the buggers all take off and blacken the sky. Sadly one of the few things I'm not fond of eating.

Yes they crap on my car too although I feed them. Also they stomp about on the roof in hobnail boots soon after dawn. Roasting is too good for them.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Sun Aug 16 2015, 18:04

Slight change of subject here.

It is in my nature to try and help people, my parents were very much like that ... I guess I've always done the same.

Out earlier today a lady was clearly struggling. I could see her from afar, she was probably about 70. So many people just walked straight past her! I could not believe it! I stopped and just asked was there anything I could do to help. 'You're an angel was her reply' ... I helped her out, and went on my way.

An Angel? No just someone who cares about others. Why do we so often walk away?

Just a thought ...

All the best Jan
    flower
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Sun Aug 16 2015, 18:19

A friend used to do a lot of the local gardens for the old folks. One day he found the 106 year old (as she was then) lying on the floor bleeding from a head wound where she'd fallen over. He rang 999 and was specifically told on no account to help her or he could be sued. That's one reason . . .
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Sun Aug 16 2015, 18:22

chris c wrote:A friend used to do a lot of the local gardens for the old folks. One day he found the 106 year old (as she was then) lying on the floor bleeding from a head wound where she'd fallen over. He rang 999 and was specifically told on no account to help her or he could be sued. That's one reason . . .

But at least he rang 999 some people don't even think to do that !

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Sun Aug 16 2015, 18:38

They can't count that far . . .
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Tue Aug 18 2015, 06:30

We're Off Again - and the weather looks good !

Yes, we're off for a few days break. The suitcase is packed, with summer shirts and blouses ... well it is August in the UK so we are hoping for a few nice summery days! Eddie has packed his fishing rods - and I've got my walking shoes. We will be spending time just enjoying the scenery, fresh air and also seeing family.

Have a Chat ! - Page 2 Eddie%2BFishing%2B%25281%2529

Autumn flashback but now it's summer it should be a green shirt and not a green coat

Have a Chat ! - Page 2 Jan%2BWalking%2B2

Autumn flashback but now it's summer it should be pink blouse and not a pink coat

Have a Chat ! - Page 2 Lak1

looking forward to a peaceful few days

See you on our return

All the best Jan and Eddie
    mo1905
    mo1905

Post by mo1905 Tue Aug 18 2015, 08:44

Have a great trip ! Look forward to the pics :-)
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Fri Aug 21 2015, 11:00

mo1905 wrote:Have a great trip ! Look forward to the pics :-)

Thanks Mo, mercifully no pics. It rained most of the time, so we spent the thick end of three days in restaurants, wine bars and pubs. Over indulgence an understatement, and an obscene amount of money spent, I dread to think what state my liver is in rofl I blame various members of my family. We are thinking of going back to live on the South Coast permanently, It could be a tough gig, but I will give it my best shot. freakout
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Fri Aug 21 2015, 18:40

Eddie wrote:
    mo1905 wrote:Have a great trip ! Look forward to the pics :-)

Thanks Mo, mercifully no pics. It rained most of the time, so we spent the thick end of three days in restaurants, wine bars and pubs. Over indulgence an understatement, and an obscene amount of money spent, I dread to think what state my liver is in rofl I blame various members of my family. We are thinking of going back to live on the South Coast permanently, It could be a tough gig, but I will give it my best shot. freakout

Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes

We had a nice few days away but the weather could have been a little better, lets hope it will be next time ...

It all started well, although no blue skies it was dry and as we drove along the views were not too bad ... a little like this image below.

Have a Chat ! - Page 2 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSjV3tuKOBm7yhQMSR_D1kpC1cScTOl4uDrEWCUxOGiap_q4f4S

We spent time with family and friends and were fortunate on the morning we decided to go to Gunwharf Quays, the weather was quite pleasant. The waterfront overlooks Gunwharf Quays Marina which can accommodate all types of craft including luxury yachts up to 80 metres and has often played host to national and international sailing events. We sat looking at a view very similar to this ...

Have a Chat ! - Page 2 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSLxR8CJvPxI4Ex1U_2u5AKLFvDP_cdNS7B8v5KJGkRt53Xyaoe

Gunwharf Quays is an outlet retail destination with 90 outlet stores and 30 restaurants, bars and cafés located in Portsmouth, UK. It is a great place to visit. You can sit and relax and watch the world go by, or do some shopping, or visit the Portsmouth Dockyards, Spinnaker Tower, HMS Victory, The Royal Marines Museum and a whole host of other great places, which are nearby. We did a little shopping and then sat and enjoyed lunch. My choice was a delicious rocket salad with mozzarella cheese and some wonderful sweet tasting tomatoes. The glass of wine, well it may have been two  Wink, to accompany it was also very pleasant ...

Have a Chat ! - Page 2 250px-Spinnaker_Tower_-_geograph.org.uk_-_1255913

We could see Spinnaker Tower close by.
    It has a glass-floored platform, and overlooks Portsmouth harbour.

Travelling on a little further we went through part of the New Forest and saw scenes like this ...

Have a Chat ! - Page 2 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS_lmbVYFN6KtoB7MZbTPmP-UPPgg6IWPhMJXudFcSJ14DeBc46

New Forest Ponies

We also had time to visit Mudeford Quay, which is a place we go to quite often, The last time we went the view was like this ...

Have a Chat ! - Page 2 2882158_81158dc2

But not this time ... the clouds were not at all blue and we walked along in the rain. However, it did not dampen spirits, and there were still a lot of people around. Mudeford is a great place for crabbing and there is also a lovely fish stall on the quay ... and we do like some nice locally caught fish!

We had hoped on our last day to have been able to get a sight of these, pictured below. The stunning Red Arrows Display team. They were due to fly in the Bournemouth Air Show but alas were not able to due to the bad weather and very poor visibility. A shame for the many folk who had gone along in hope. We have seen then before and they certainly are a majestic sight.

Have a Chat ! - Page 2 2Q==

A meal we did enjoy was similar to this pictured below

Have a Chat ! - Page 2 Img16014.1426x713

Griddled sea bass with stuffed courgettes, tomatoes, olives and basil.

http://www.greatbritishchefs.com/recipes/mediterranean-sea-bass-recipe

So a nice few days away in great company, and it's the Grand Prix over the weekend.
    Perhaps some good viewing and success for Lewis Hamilton - we'll have to wait and see.  

All the best Jan
    janlyn

Female Posts : 17

Post by janlyn Fri Aug 21 2015, 19:20

This is all home to me. We are really lucky I suppose to live in such an area.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27 2024, 02:36