THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

2 posters

Sorry folks but I could not let this go.

Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Sorry folks but I could not let this go. Empty Sorry folks but I could not let this go.

Post by Eddie Thu Aug 06 2015, 18:26

From the flog posted in 2009 here http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/my-story-of-type-2-reversal.10159/

"Hello to all of you,

My name is John and I live in the UK. I've posted on this site for a little while now so this is a little bit of a belated introduction. However, I thought it might be worthwhile summarising my experience and sharing it with others.

I'm a Type 2 who was diagnosed nearly nine years ago in the very early stages of diabetes (at that time with a fasting blood glucose just over 7 and with a HbA1c still in the 5s). I was given the standard UK advice of "do not test" and "eat plenty of starchy carbohydrate". I'm a good patient and followed that advice!

However, my situation contiunued to worsen over the next seven years with my HbA1c rising slowly but gradually and the health professionals telling me that things were "satisfactory". However, when my HbA1c reached 9.4% my GP prescribed metformin but still told me to follow the same advice of "do not test" and "eat plenty of starchy carbohydrate".

For a while, the metformin seemed to make my levels a little bit better but my HbA1c was soon back to 8.5%. At that stage, my GP doubled the metformin dose but still told me to keep following the "do not test" and "eat plenty of starchy carbohydrate" advice.

At that stage, I decided that it was about time that I found out much more about what was happening and started looking for reading matter on Amazon. Motivated by a book that I read about reversing diabetes written by a US doctor called Dr Neil Barnard, I started my improvement programme by changing my diet and at the same time started calorie counting to lose weight. I also decided to disregard my GP's advice and started testing.

Immediately, my blood glucose levels improved remarkably and have continued to do so - my HbA1c readings over the last twelve months dropping from 8.5 > 6.8 > 5.7 > 5.5 and to 5.3% last time. My regular finger prick tests indicate that my present level is even lower today.

I consider that what I have achieved to have been quite simple and am in the process of questioning at every opportunity the advice that Type 2s are given in the UK - and wherever I can campaigning against the quite appalling advice that is being given.

I never consider that anything is forever and I am anxious to interact with others to learn what is achievable in the long term.

My motivation is to keep as far away as I can from the quite horrible diabetic complications that I am so often told about. At present, after nine years, I have no symptoms or complications whatsoever as far as I am aware.

Best wishes to all - John"

So why bring it up now you be asking yourself. Because a new member brought the long forgotten thread back to life.

"Hey John! I'm new here, your hba1cs look great! I'm interested, do you not spike heavily after a very low-fat meal? I know the Barnard approach is low GI, but I'm scared to adopt it myself as I fear meals that may spike me!

Emma"

Emma will wait a long time for an answer. John was a complete and utter Gentleman in every sense of the word, very much in the same mould as Ian the ex mod. John had the special distinction of being banned twice, the second time he walked permanently. I kept in touch with John aka Wallycorker and last time we spoke he was doing very well. This is the calibre of great members who worked so hard to help others, his only crime, he was a staunch a low carber and never stopped spreading the good word.

OK I will try and shut up about the flog for a while.
    Sally
    Sally

Sorry folks but I could not let this go. Empty Re: Sorry folks but I could not let this go.

Post by Sally Thu Aug 06 2015, 18:44

Eddie wrote, "Emma will wait a long time for an answer. "
    I wasn't trying to prove you wrong, just thought the lass should get a reply!
    Sally
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Sorry folks but I could not let this go. Empty Re: Sorry folks but I could not let this go.

Post by Eddie Thu Aug 06 2015, 18:57

Sally wrote:Eddie wrote, "Emma will wait a long time for an answer. "
    I wasn't trying to prove you wrong, just thought the lass should get a reply!
    Sally

That's cool Sally, well done for helping Emma out.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 01 2024, 23:10