THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

+2
Paul1976
RANDBURG
6 posters

SID,S Story

RANDBURG
    RANDBURG

Male Posts : 161

SID,S Story Empty SID,S Story

Post by RANDBURG Sat Jun 20 2015, 13:35

Hi Eddie,
    Know you interested in Sid's comments as you keep referring to them.
    Have you seen his story ??

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/how-do-you-manage-your-diabetes-without-following-lchf.78852/page-2#post-881018

Thought you may enjoy it ?
    Regards rofl
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

SID,S Story Empty Re: SID,S Story

Post by Eddie Sat Jun 20 2015, 15:22

RANDBURG wrote:Hi Eddie,
    Know you interested in Sid's comments as you keep referring to them.
    Have you seen his story ??

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/how-do-you-manage-your-diabetes-without-following-lchf.78852/page-2#post-881018

Thought you may enjoy it ?
    Regards rofl

The once mighty Sid Bonkers hero of the low carb antis admits to low carbing to lose weight and control his diabetes. thumb-up

Like some over the hill ex pro boxer, turned fair ground bruiser, Sid comes back for one last bout. With all the fantastic low carb news from all around the world gaining evermore acceptance, Sid weighed in at the forum of flog today. He starts by telling us "I do not follow a lchf diet and never have" and then goes on to say "I settled into a regime that suited me which saw me eating around 60g of carbs most days" Clearly Sid's time in the ring has taken a heavy toll, has this effected his mental capacity? Even the Bonkers one must know 60 carbs per day is a low carb diet.

Will this be Sid's last bout? will he be hanging up his gloves for the last time soon? has the old bluffer reached the end of the line?

SID,S Story Bonkers%2Bs%2Bshot
    zand
    zand

Female Posts : 1940

Post by zand Sat Jun 20 2015, 17:20

Eddie, you picked these bits out of Sid's post.

He starts by telling us "I do not follow a lchf diet and never have" and then goes on to say "I settled into a regime that suited me which saw me eating around 60g of carbs most days"

These two statements made by Sid do not contradict each other at all. To be fair to him, I think we need to add a third to make sense of the other two.

He also said:-

"As I needed to lose weight it never made sense to me to increase the fat in my diet and I am glad I didn't as it has worked wonders for me as I now have non diabetic HbA1c's which I have held since the second one I had."

This fits in with everything I have ever read of Sid's posts. It isn't the lc bit he objects to, it's the hf. He follows low carb, but not high fat. He chooses portion control too which simply gives him a wider variety of foods to choose from. I think he has said in the past that he finds low carb more sustainable this way, and this is surely the important thing - he manages to maintain good BG control. Does it matter that his method is similar to ours in some ways yet different in others? I need to use portion control as well - with things like strawberries, even though I follow LCHF.

I know I am going to be even less popular here after this post (lol if that's at all possible). I was pleased that Sid made that post this morning. So often we hear people bashing lchf as not the right way to do things, yet they don't give us a way that has worked for them, just 'I can't follow lchf because....' It was refreshing at last to see a post fully describing another sustainable way of doing things. Yes he does low carb just like us, but we always knew that was the important bit of the lchf equation anyway didn't we? The amount of fat is personal to each of us isn't it?

I have never seen Sid as anti low carb, just anti high fat.

Yep getting my coat and packing my bags too. bitenails run
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2439

Post by Paul1976 Sat Jun 20 2015, 17:50

SID,S Story 367233

Sid has derailed more low carb threads than anyone else I've ever met in the 4 years I've been reading DCUK-What works for him is cool with me but why he can't stop butting into threads that don't concern him and just let others get on with it is what really gets me.
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Sat Jun 20 2015, 19:10

Zand you said

"I know I am going to be even less popular here after this post (lol if that's at all possible)" As far as I know you are not unpopular with anyone. I am by far the most unpopular person on this forum, please do not try and usurp my position. rofl

As for "I have never seen Sid as anti low carb, just anti high fat" No one in the history of the forum has there been a more anti lowcarber that Sid. The low carb thread lock champion by a country mile. He even managed to get Dr. Jay Wortman banned with the aid of the bent mod Cugila. Sid has been protected for years by corrupt and lying mods. But just for the record he stated today "I settled into a regime that suited me which saw me eating around 60g of carbs most days" Now that is a low carb diet, and I suspect that is the main reason he lost the weight and was able to control his diabetes. What a shame he waited years to tell us. But like his mate Noblehead, we only hear the truth when they slip up on a post.

Regarding his anti saturated fats mantra, he has stated on numerous occasions his daily calorie totals are very low, as low as 1200. This would not keep a 4 year old child going. This is because Sid has stated he cannot even walk some days and is extremely physically inactive.

The bottom line. One of the posts that got Dr. Jay Wortman banned was when Jay stated, a low carb, low fat, low calorie diet is impossible to maintain once weight loss has been achieved. Jay was 100% right and most on this or any other forum know this.

Anyway I am blaming RANDBURG he led me astray by starting this thread  rofl  the hooligan! One thing is good, it dragged Paul out of retirement  affraid
    zand
    zand

Post by zand Sat Jun 20 2015, 20:01

lol Hi Paul! Very Happy

The thread that Sid posted on today did concern him.  The OP asked what others did to control their BG's, apart from LCHF.  This is the first time I have seen a thread like this with constructive answers.  Posters only usually say why they don't like LCHF, not what works for them and it reverts to LCHF bashing.  Yes I agree it's wrong for him to butt into low carb threads and derail them, but this was a 'anything but LCHF thread' and Sid confirmed that low carb works on it.  That has to be a good thing doesn't it?

Doesn't Sid like to eat to his meter, isn't that low carbing too?  I got the impression he just didn't like us LCHFers telling him what to eat/what not to eat.  I have only been around the other place for about 18 months, did Sid really advocate eating 130g+ carbs in the 'old days'?  

So threads were locked simply because they were low carb?  Or was it because they were LCHF and people didn't understand this 'faddy diet' back then and thought it was dangerous?  I was following a kind of LCHF diet myself 7-8 years ago, even though I had never heard of it from anyone else and wasn't yet diabetic.  The type of foods I ate then weren't a lot different to those I eat now.  I am stricter with it now because I need to be because I am now type 2, but I was discovering it for myself back then too.

For the record I agree with the statement that a low cal, low carb, low fat diet is impossible to  maintain.  I also found it hard to achieve weight loss on a low fat diet, no matter what my calorie intake was.  

Lol.  It wasn't Randburg and his thread who dragged Paul out of retirement, it was me by arguing with the rest of you, and I won't say I'm sorry for that! Very Happy
    zand
    zand

Post by zand Sat Jun 20 2015, 20:25

Eddie wrote:

This is because Sid has stated he cannot even walk some days and is extremely physically inactive.

Really?  Do we know why?  Would high fat maybe help his condition whatever it is?  It helped me with my joint and muscle pains.  I walked over 12 miles last Saturday, I am much more active now that I follow LCHF instead of low cal.   Of course Sid's inactivity may not be improved so easily, we are all different.
    Indy51
    Indy51

Female Posts : 344

Post by Indy51 Sat Jun 20 2015, 23:18

zand wrote:
    Eddie wrote:

This is because Sid has stated he cannot even walk some days and is extremely physically inactive.

Really?  Do we know why?  Would high fat maybe help his condition whatever it is?  It helped me with my joint and muscle pains.  I walked over 12 miles last Saturday, I am much more active now that I follow LCHF instead of low cal.   Of course Sid's inactivity may not be improved so easily, we are all different.
    Sid has posted a number of times about the amount of drugs he is taking to control his pain - I seem to recall he has some form of arthritis. I think it's part of the reason why he's such a grump at times. I actually feel sorry for the guy because Paleo/real food LCHF is probably one of the best ways of controlling pain/inflammation. Can't help but wonder how much more comfortable he might have been if he'd given up the cornflakes and packaged food to embrace fat.
    graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Post by graham64 Sun Jun 21 2015, 00:00

As we well know Sid's diet is an extreme calorie restricted one, from his own admission he stated his was <1300 cals daily, now given that the RDA for calories for an adult male is 2500 that leaves Sid at almost half of that Shocked Maybe Sid with his mobility problems can survive with that but in the main it would be a starvation diet for the majority. Take me for instance my calorie requirements at >3000 daily is more than double that of Sid's. Lets face it his breakfast of 17g of cornflakes and a splash of semi skimmed milk which equates to no more than 120cals would be far less than a child's requirement Rolling Eyes 

This is an example of the  lunacy of Sid and his utter hatred of LowCarb he called the Southport GP a troll much to the amusement of the GP's children

Sid Bonkers wrote:
    Forgive me if am wrong but I smell a low carb troll here, perhaps you could allow the mods to verify who you really are by allowing them to contact your practice for confirmation as you do not sound genuine to me.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/gp-uses-low-carb-diet-with-13-patients-amazed.43374/#post-395140

Note Sid's comment was posted June 16 2013

His belated apology was posted March 6 2014

Sid Bonkers wrote:By the way I apologise for the troll remark,I believed you to be not what you seemed as I said before this forum has seen many low carb trolls over the 5 years since Ive been a member here.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/dec-2014-update-new-research-on-the-low-carb-diet-in-general-practice.53261/page-5#post-496527

There's no getting away from the fact Sid is the ultimate anti LowCarber run
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Sun Jun 21 2015, 00:50

Paul, Graham. Indy you all nailed it.

I have nothing against Sid personally or almost anyone else, but they are wrong, very wrong. For me it's not personal, it's business, and my business is spreading the low carb message. Sid is a bitter and twisted individual backed by more of the same. Life dealt them very bad hands, and they are full of hate and want everyone else in their boats. They have missed the boat, and Jeez are they bitter.

The flog has protected the Sid's of this world, but the vast majority of members see right through the bullshit. The flog is all about making money. I see the latest email to members is trying to recruit type two diabetics for drug trials for which the management say, elsewhere of course.

"Our Fees for Patient Recruitment

Our fees are performance related and quoted on a case by case basis and vary according to the complexity of the assignment and the number of filters required for initial screening to enable us to provide you with valid patient leads according to mutually agreed eligibility criteria.

Contact us about Clinical Trial Recruitment."

Link to the flog here http://www.diabetes.co.uk/clinical-trial-recruitment.html

In this life one thing counts, in the Bank large amounts.

Gotta pick a pocket or two boys, ya gotta pick a pocket or two.

zand
    zand

Post by zand Sun Jun 21 2015, 09:14

Indy51 wrote:
    zand wrote:
    Eddie wrote:

Sid has posted a number of times about the amount of drugs he is taking to control his pain - I seem to recall he has some form of arthritis. I think it's part of the reason why he's such a grump at times. I actually feel sorry for the guy because Paleo/real food LCHF is probably one of the best ways of controlling pain/inflammation. Can't help but wonder how much more comfortable he might have been if he'd given up the cornflakes and packaged food to embrace fat.

Thanks Indy, that's what I thought, but I wasn't sure.  I myself haven't had much arthritic pain thankfully.  What I did have 10-15 years ago, before I followed LCHF, has now gone.  I had very painful knees so that walking was difficult, a painful toe, and a thumb that was painful and also developing a lump at the joint.  I haven't had any of those pains for years.  The only pain I suffered the day after my 12 mile walk last week was a slightly tight Achilles tendon.  

This I believe is the real shame of the matter.  Whilst the anti full fat/saturated fat/high fat brigade were busy hypothesizing about the risks of LCHF and the extra fat and believing the lies about saturated fat they didn't keep their minds open to the possible benefits.  Even worse they continue to focus on just the diabetes side of their health and choose to ignore the fact that LCHF is a healthy diet.  

OK Sid, I'm sure you will read this.  Why don't you try LCHF for say, a month, and see if it benefits you?  You don't have to admit to anyone else that you are trying it and you don't have to tell us what you discover, but for your own sake, please just try it.    The saturated fat/cholesterol and heart health lies are rapidly being debunked now.  Eddie said you guys 'missed the boat' .  Whilst I agree with much of what Eddie says (hard to believe I know   Wink  ) I don't think it's ever too late to change and get on the right track.   What do you have to lose?

Edit: have a look at post no 36 on this thread too.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/my-life-since-discovering-lchf.66929/page-2
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Sun Jun 21 2015, 10:35

“Whilst I agree with much of what Eddie says (hard to believe I know)”

The reality is I have discovered nothing regarding the safe control of diabetes. I ask no one to trust me. All I do is pass on what others have taught me. As Isaac Newton said many years ago “If I have seen further it is because I have stood on the shoulders of giants” and I have stood on the shoulders of so many very clever people over the last seven years and continue to do so.

Although the benefits of low carbing have been known in part for over two hundred years, it was only seven years ago, I learned of the benefits from a long time low carbing type one diabetic called Fergus Craig. Myself and others such as Graham became Fergus’ early disciples, it took us around one week to realise Fergus was right. We had no reason not to trust him, but it did seem a bit too good to be true at the start, but we could see no harm in giving low carb a try.

Looking back with no disrespect to Fergus, we did not have to trust him and no one has to trust me. You can trust your hospital blood tests, your BG meter, your weighing scales and tape measure. When you have taken that leap of faith you soon realise you can control your diabetes safely on nil medication if type two and drastically reduced medication if type one. This is good for so many reasons. So many type two medications have been proved to almost useless and others very dangerous for many people. For insulin users, injected insulin is not and will never be a get out of jail free card.

Back seven years ago the DCUK forum had around two thousand members, many of the members were newly diagnosed and found low carbing to be their salvation. But others, mostly long term diabetics, many reporting serious health issues, brought about by long term poor control, immediately went on the attack. A dietitian lead the charge of what I termed low carb antis, us low carbers were dead men and women walking, a whole plethora of serious illnesses were on the horizon for us. To cut a long story short, the forum became a battlefield. To compound matters some of the most vehement low carb antis were made moderators. As all know here, nothing has changed. For seven years a small bunch of individuals, backed by mods working to an unfathomable and highly dubious agenda, have ruled the roost.

So, what is the current situation. It is a fact that almost all of the hundreds if not thousands of good news stories at the DCUK forum, have been brought about by a low carb higher fat diet. It is a fact that some of the world's largest and most prestigious nutritional organisations, have reversed their advice on dietary saturated fats. It is a fact that the diabetics I started out with seven years ago (I still keep in touch with some) are all doing very well, with no sign of diabetic complications. It is a fact the majority of healthcare professionals and dietitians have been completely wrong, in not only the best way to control diabetes, but a whole myriad of serious and life threatening illnesses. But, don’t take my word, because frankly my dears I don’t give a damn.
    zand
    zand

Post by zand Sun Jun 21 2015, 11:11

Eddie, I for one don't need to take your word for it, or anyone else's. I didn't have a Fergus to listen to when I discovered LCHF. I thought the NHS advice worked for everyone else, but not for me. I was sick of doing what they said and then being accused of 'cheating' when their recommendations didn't work for me. I wasn't diabetic yet, but had worked out for myself that I was pre diabetic. I just knew that what I had been told by doctors was wrong and didn't work for me.

So I started to do the opposite. I ate more, not less. I ate 3 large meals a day, not several small meals. This pushed me towards eating more veg than fruit, as I had often had fruit as a snack; no snacks meant I was only eating fruit with meals, and berries worked best for me at mealtimes. I ate butter not margarine. I went back to using cream and whole milk instead of skimmed milk. I used lard again instead of vegetable oil. I found I was tired after eating certain carbs, notably chocolate, mashed and jacket potatoes and pasta. So I stopped eating them. Then I progressed to cutting out all wheat products including bread and pastry. Added sugar and sugary drinks had gone from my menu years before, but I also started to cut out diet drinks and sugar substitutes. My aches and pains went. I slowly started to lose weight whilst eating a lot more calories than I had for very many years.

Then other health problems kicked in and after 2 bouts of pneumonia I was officially declared type 2. ( A blood test 6 months before was pointing that way, but I never went for a follow up ) I read the DUK booklet the DN gave me and realised it was rubbish. The things they advocated eating were the very things that had made me diabetic in the first place. I threw it out and carried on with my own version of LCHF, which was becoming more and more like what the rest of you were eating. Then one day a couple of years after being diagnosed T2, I discovered DCUK and was amazed to find lots of you eating the same way as me. So I got tips from there on more changes I could make and also learnt about ketosis.

So I know for myself that LCHF works, even though I did find out the hard way.
    zand
    zand

Post by zand Sun Jun 21 2015, 12:14

Something I forgot to put in my previous post was that whilst discovering LCHF for myself, I made mistakes along the way.

The worst one of these was not understanding that too much protein was a bad thing. I grasped that carbs were the problem and that saturated fat was not a problem as soon as I started eating to my own plan. Unfortunately, not having anyone to advise me back then, I went down the route of cutting carbs and increasing both fat and protein.

This led me to lose 8lbs in 8 weeks (I had previously put on weight at a rate of 7lbs a year for several years), only to gain 7lbs of it again a week later. This was caused by water retention and my BP went up dramatically to 240/180. My kidneys weren't coping well. I wasn't drinking enough water. So LCHF was on hold for a while until I figured out what I had done wrong. I started down the route of BP medication for a few years and slowly got back on track with LCHF this time not increasing the protein but using even more fat.

If I had been diabetic back then maybe I would have read what Fergus was saying to the rest of you and not caused myself so many problems, but hey, I got here in the end. Smile
    zand
    zand

Post by zand Sun Jun 21 2015, 12:58

graham64 wrote:

This is an example of the  lunacy of Sid and his utter hatred of LowCarb he called the Southport GP a troll much to the amusement of the GP's children

Sid Bonkers wrote:
    Forgive me if am wrong but I smell a low carb troll here, perhaps you could allow the mods to verify who you really are by allowing them to contact your practice for confirmation as you do not sound genuine to me.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/gp-uses-low-carb-diet-with-13-patients-amazed.43374/#post-395140

Note Sid's comment was posted June 16 2013

His belated apology was posted March 6 2014

Sid Bonkers wrote:By the way I apologise for the troll remark,I believed you to be not what you seemed as I said before this forum has seen many low carb trolls over the 5 years since Ive been a member here.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/dec-2014-update-new-research-on-the-low-carb-diet-in-general-practice.53261/page-5#post-496527

There's no getting away from the fact Sid is the ultimate anti LowCarber run

He was right in one thing though. There had been a lot of low carb trolls in the years he had been at DCUK, hadn't there? Wink I know of at least one genuine LCHF newbie who was hounded by the '4 antis' until he left. That's the problem when people pretend to be someone else, others who are innocent (like my friend and Southport GP) get caught up in it. Of course if people weren't banned for saying the truth, then they wouldn't need to create other identities would they?

I agree the apology was way too late.
    RANDBURG
    RANDBURG

Post by RANDBURG Sun Jun 21 2015, 13:42

Eddie Quote
    Anyway I am blaming RANDBURG he led me astray by starting this thread  rofl  the hooligan! One thing is good, it dragged Paul out of retirement  afraid

And Zand quote

Lol.  It wasn't Randburg and his thread who dragged Paul out of retirement, it was me by arguing with the rest of you, and I won't say I'm sorry for that! Very Happy

I PLEAD GUILTY !
    Of course when I saw the quote by Sid, the first thing that crossed my mind was that this will get Eddie's feathers rattled or Pee in a froth, and lets" throw it in here and watch what happens"

It didn't take long and look at all the excitement I caused Ha Ha
    rofl

Sorry if I got a few raised blood pressures raised, but I enjoyed it.

And welcome back Paul
    Have a good Fathers Day
    zand
    zand

Post by zand Sun Jun 21 2015, 14:05

So now we need an encore. Smile What have you got for us to discuss next, huh?
    RANDBURG
    RANDBURG

Post by RANDBURG Sun Jun 21 2015, 14:11

Im looking around, watch this space,
    zand
    zand

Post by zand Sun Jun 21 2015, 14:21

OK popcorn Smile
    graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Post by graham64 Sun Jun 21 2015, 22:47

RANDBURG wrote:Eddie Quote
    Anyway I am blaming RANDBURG he led me astray by starting this thread  rofl  the hooligan! One thing is good, it dragged Paul out of retirement  afraid

And Zand quote

I PLEAD GUILTY !
    Of course when I saw the quote by Sid, the first thing that crossed my mind was that this will get Eddie's feathers rattled or Pee in a froth, and lets" throw it in here and watch what happens"

It didn't take long and look at all the excitement I caused Ha Ha
    rofl

Sorry if I got a few raised blood pressures raised, but I enjoyed it.

And welcome back Paul
    Have a good Fathers Day

Thanks for the tip as off I don't venture over there very often these days it's a dead forum as far as open debate goes, it has become a clone of the DUK forum with many low carbers either banned or having got fed up of the despotic forum mods deleting and editing their posts have left and who can blame them. That said it does seem sitefinders must be happy with the knowledgeable low carbers who offer an alternative to a multi meds regime gone it means  their mail shot shot for drug drug trials could attract more volunteers as per usual follow the money.

SID,S Story Over40t2d

As for dear old Sid once again he has shown himself to be a hypocrite, but he does have an attribute though who else do you that can do a critical book review without having actually read it  Shocked
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Mon Jun 22 2015, 08:42

Well RANDBURG if nothing else, you have proved one thing, forums thrive on agro rofl

Over 300 post views and the most comments on any thread for some time, considering the time your thread has been up. I am thinking of asking Sid to post more often at the flog. Over at our blog the item brought in around a dozen comments (deleted) from complete nutters telling me and Graham to perform more than one physical impossibility, and that Sid was the greatest thing since err...sliced bread. I suspect the very rude comments  rofl came from the flog mods, well, he is their poster boy.

I wonder if Sid would accept a mods job over here, that would really get the kettle whistling. affraid OK, I have had better ideas, but ya know what I mean.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26 2024, 15:05