THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

2 posters

San Francisco Approves Health Warnings On Sugary Drinks Ads.

Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

San Francisco Approves Health Warnings On Sugary Drinks Ads. Empty San Francisco Approves Health Warnings On Sugary Drinks Ads.

Post by Eddie Thu Jun 11 2015, 14:54

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — San Francisco supervisors voted Tuesday to approve health warnings on ads for sugary sodas and some other drinks, saying such beverages contribute to obesity, diabetes and other health problems.

It's believed that San Francisco would be the first place in the country to require such a warning on ads for soda if it receives final approval.

The ordinance defines sugar-sweetened beverages as drinks with more than 25 calories from sweeteners per 12 ounces. So advertising for such sodas as Coca-Cola Zero and other no-calorie drinks would not require a warning, but ads for regular Coca-Cola would.

The ordinance also requires warnings for other products such as sports and energy drinks, vitamin waters and iced teas that exceed the 25 calorie limit. Milk and 100 percent natural fruit and vegetable juice drinks are exempt.

The label for billboards and other ads would read: "WARNING: Drinking beverages with added sugar(s) contributes to obesity, diabetes, and tooth decay. This is a message from the City and County of San Francisco."

More on this story here. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/09/san-francisco-approves-he_0_n_7548186.html

Very slowly the message is getting through, sugar is a health hazard for most, especially diabetics. Hardly seems a day goes by and we are hearing stories of healthy natural fats (not man made trans fats) are good and sugar is bad. Not many years ago us low carbers were thought to be part of a barmy army, but we have been proved right. The old cop out, of our good news "it's only anecdotal" has now been backed up by the latest science.

zand
    zand

Female Posts : 1940

San Francisco Approves Health Warnings On Sugary Drinks Ads. Empty Re: San Francisco Approves Health Warnings On Sugary Drinks Ads.

Post by zand Thu Jun 11 2015, 15:21

Well yes, at least it's a start. The trouble is though, it's the sugar free diet drinks that caused the obesity problem in my case by messing up the bacteria in my gut and causing insulin to be released by my pancreas unnecessarily, in turn causing insulin resistance.

This sort of warning is only going to push more people along the diet coke route, believing that the sugar free version is healthy. I've seen people on other forums lose weight fairly easily once they are diagnosed as T2 and reduce carbs. Those of us who have already reduced carbs and have consumed large amounts of the diet versions of fizzy drinks find weight loss much harder.

It reminds me of what an Italian tour guide said to us once. He was giving out cans of drink on a trip in Rome. I and other overweight women chose the 'diet' versions. He joked that since only fat people had the diet drinks he reckoned that diet drinks made you fat. He was trying to be funny. Many a true word spoken in jest, huh?

I'm not knocking the health warning, I'm just saying for some it will be 'out of the frying pan into the fire'. Well it was for me anyway, the only fizzy drink I have now is sparkling mineral water. Smile

Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

San Francisco Approves Health Warnings On Sugary Drinks Ads. Empty Re: San Francisco Approves Health Warnings On Sugary Drinks Ads.

Post by Eddie Thu Jun 11 2015, 16:46

zand wrote:Well yes, at least it's a start.  The trouble is though, it's the sugar free diet drinks that caused the obesity problem in my case by messing up the bacteria in my gut and causing insulin to be released by my pancreas unnecessarily, in turn causing insulin resistance.  

This sort of warning is only going to push more people along the diet coke route, believing that the sugar free version is healthy.  I've seen people on other forums lose weight fairly easily once they are diagnosed as T2 and reduce carbs.  Those of us who have already reduced carbs and have consumed large amounts of the diet versions of fizzy drinks find weight loss much harder.

It reminds me of what an Italian tour guide said to us once.  He was giving out cans of drink on a trip in Rome.   I and other overweight women chose the 'diet' versions.  He joked that since only fat people had the diet drinks he reckoned that diet drinks made you fat.  He was trying to be funny.  Many a true word spoken in jest, huh?

I'm not knocking the health warning, I'm just saying for some it will be 'out of the frying pan into the fire'.  Well it was for me anyway, the only fizzy drink I have now is sparkling mineral water.  Smile  

I hear what you say. I suppose I was lucky being what I call a bog standard type two diabetic. I low carbed to get BG to safe numbers, the weight loss was a bonus. Although over weight at diagnosis, rightly or wrongly, probably wrongly, weight had never been an issue for me. Most of my mates down the pub carried the the usual beer gut as a sign of affluence and middle age spread.

For others weight has been a long term serious issue, and clearly not all type two diabetics are bog standard.

Regarding the diet coke etc. and gut bacteria, I believe this is a very complex subject. AliB was talking about gut bacteria and health years ago, now more and more boffins are taking it seriously. The other thing with diet Coke is the fact it has sweeteners such as Aspartame, for which countless negative articles have been published. Most of our grandchildren drink only water and milk, they can't go wrong with that. I could drink milk by the pint and used to, not any more, too much lactose another sugar we have to avoid.

Apart from that, great weather today, out for five hours in the sun, and face like a lobster  facepalm
    zand
    zand

Female Posts : 1940

Post by zand Thu Jun 11 2015, 16:56

lol. You've had a good dose of vitamin D today then. Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28 2024, 14:16