THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

4 posters

EARTH SHATTERING, PIGS FLYING, HELL FREEZING NUTRITION NEWS

graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

EARTH SHATTERING, PIGS FLYING, HELL FREEZING NUTRITION NEWS Empty EARTH SHATTERING, PIGS FLYING, HELL FREEZING NUTRITION NEWS

Post by graham64 Sun May 17 2015, 22:07

The proverbial brick wall of bad dietary advice is a-crumblin’. This week brings truly world-changing news in the field of nutrition.

On May 8, the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (formerly the American Dietetic Association) made its official comments on the 2015 Dietary Guidelines for Americans, and recommend dropping saturated fat from nutrients of concern due to the lack of evidence connecting it with cardiovascular disease.

However, because past advice from the Academy and others has caused issues with ALL of our body systems, I would also argue that this is actually earth-shattering news in the world of cardiology, nephrology, lipidology, endocrinology, pulmonology, orthopedics…. you get the point.

The Academy supported the scientific process used by the Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee (DGAC) in drafting its recommendations for the 2015 Dietary Guidelines for Americans, but had somewhat different interpretations,

1. They supported the DGAC in its decision to drop dietary cholesterol from the nutrients of concern list and recommended that it also drop saturated fat from nutrients of concern, citing a lack of evidence connecting saturated fat with cardiovascular disease;
    2. Expressed concern over blanket sodium (salt) restriction recommendations in light of recent evidence of potential harm to the larger population;
    3. Supported an increased focus on reduction of added sugars as a key public health concern; and
    4. Asserted that enhanced nutrition education is critical to any effective implementation.

Read more: http://fitteru.us/2015/05/earth-shattering-pigs-flying-hell-freezing-nutrition-news/

Yet another nail in the coffin of the low fat dogma cheers
    OldTech
    OldTech

Male Posts : 81

EARTH SHATTERING, PIGS FLYING, HELL FREEZING NUTRITION NEWS Empty Re: EARTH SHATTERING, PIGS FLYING, HELL FREEZING NUTRITION NEWS

Post by OldTech Tue May 19 2015, 05:37

Yes that is very good news! I have an appointment with my new cardio in 9 days and I was not looking forward to discussing my high saturated fat consumption.

DR. MALCOLM KENDRICK also has a new post on a study showing that there is an inverse relationship between cholesterol and all cause mortality. The full study is here. This looks like a really good study (all 116 pages) and is published by the Annals of Nutrition and Metabolism. Most importantly this study says that for people over 65 (that's me) low cholesterol is an indicator of shorter life. What we want is higher cholesterol and a lower AbA1c.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

EARTH SHATTERING, PIGS FLYING, HELL FREEZING NUTRITION NEWS Empty Re: EARTH SHATTERING, PIGS FLYING, HELL FREEZING NUTRITION NEWS

Post by Jan1 Tue May 19 2015, 10:31

OldTech wrote:Yes that is very good news! I have an appointment with my new cardio in 9 days and I was not looking forward to discussing my high saturated fat consumption.

DR. MALCOLM KENDRICK also has a new post on a study showing that there is an inverse relationship between cholesterol and all cause mortality. The full study is here. This looks like a really good study (all 116 pages) and is published by the Annals of Nutrition and Metabolism. Most importantly this study says that for people over 65 (that's me) low cholesterol is an indicator of shorter life. What we want is higher cholesterol and a lower AbA1c.

@OldTech - Hope your visit to see your new cardio goes well and thanks for the link to Dr Kendrick.

Dr Kendrick is a guest on the Jimmy Moore blog 'podcast' tomorrow 20th May - should be an interesting one.  Smile

All the best Jan
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Tue May 19 2015, 21:46

OldTech wrote:Yes that is very good news! I have an appointment with my new cardio in 9 days and I was not looking forward to discussing my high saturated fat consumption.

Thanks for the full study link I'd only seen the abstract before, it certainly bears out what Dr Kendrick has been saying about cholesterol on his blog and in his books.
    Indy51
    Indy51

Female Posts : 344

Post by Indy51 Thu May 21 2015, 08:00

Just listened to the Malcolm Kendrick interview with Jimmy Moore and sitting here gobsmacked by one of the pieces of information he discussed about possible side effects of statins. He said his wife works in the field of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (a disease I was diagnosed with in 2009) - he said if you understand anything about the metabolic pathways, it's understandable that the incidence of this disease has increased along with statin prescription. Never occurred to me that the two could be related, but now I have to wonder.

The frustrating thing is that I had my annual review on Monday - I wish the interview had been played last week so I could have discussed the possibility with the doctor.

Makes me even more glad that I only took the bloody things for less than a year. Gawd only knows what state my lungs would be in now if I'd continued taking Crestor. As it is, I'm very lucky that there's been no progression of the disease since I was diagnosed.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Post by Jan1 Thu May 21 2015, 19:28

It was indeed a very interesting podcast that Dr Kendrick did with Jimmy Moore.

If you haven't yet had  a chance to listen to it ... it's well worth it.

All the best Jan
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Thu May 21 2015, 22:03

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07 2024, 00:55