THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

5 posters

Type 3 Diabetes: Metabolic Causes of Alzheimer’s Disease

Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Alzheimer s - Type 3 Diabetes: Metabolic Causes of Alzheimer’s Disease Empty Type 3 Diabetes: Metabolic Causes of Alzheimer’s Disease

Post by Eddie Mon Aug 25 2014, 18:05

As the population of the industrialized world ages, illnesses associated with aging consume a larger portion of our healthcare budgets and impose increasing burdens on the quality of life of patients and their caregivers. Estimates suggest that in the U.S., Alzheimers disease (AD) affects 12 percent of people over age 65 and nearly 50 percent of those over 85, with predictions for this to include 16 million people by 2050.1 National healthcare costs associated with AD are expected to surpass one trillion dollars by mid-century.1

Considering the fact that AD has no known cure and current therapies are largely ineffective, identifying the triggering mechanisms and exacerbating factors behind AD is of paramount importance, as prevention and early detection would serve to decrease—or at the very least delay—the physical, emotional and financial hardships this illness creates. Prevention is also critical because AD symptoms often do not appear until loss of functional neurons is so widespread that irreversible damage has already occurred.

Significant epidemiological and clinical evidence has emerged that suggests AD belongs among the “diseases of civilization,” primarily caused by modern Western diets and lifestyles at odds with human physiology. High intakes of refined carbohydrates and omega-6-rich polyunsaturated oils, low antioxidant intake, lack of physical activity, and misguided avoidance of cholesterol and saturated fats combine to create a perfect storm for glycation and oxidative stress in the brain, ultimately resulting in severe cognitive decline that renders nearly impossible the tasks involved in everyday living.

Our evolutionarily discordant dietary environment has been linked to conditions as diverse as heart disease, diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS), and schizophrenia.2,3 Often, the brain is seen as a space unto itself, as though the blood-brain barrier were an impenetrable border that spares the brain the deleterious effects the rest of the body suffers as a result of a physiologically incongruous diet.

However, research on AD confirms that not only is the brain as susceptible to metabolic and environmental insults as the rest of the body, but due to its high energy demands, disproportionate oxygen consumption, high concentration of oxidation-prone long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs), and decreased capacity for regeneration, the brain is especially vulnerable to the detrimental effects of modern Western diets.2-10

This is a long read folks but well worth your time. The full article can be found here http://www.westonaprice.org/modern-diseases/type-3-diabetes-metabolic-causes-of-alzheimers-disease/

Regards Eddie
    janlyn

Female Posts : 17

Alzheimer s - Type 3 Diabetes: Metabolic Causes of Alzheimer’s Disease Empty Re: Type 3 Diabetes: Metabolic Causes of Alzheimer’s Disease

Post by janlyn Mon Aug 25 2014, 19:50

I am absolutely petrified of dementia. My mother developed vascular dementia ( she was also a type 2 diabetic) and to watch her deteriorate the way she did was heartbreaking. If only I knew then what I know now maybe I could have helped but would she have listened I don't know. I have just read Grain Brain by David Perlmutter (?). What an eye opener.
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Male Posts : 1646

Alzheimer s - Type 3 Diabetes: Metabolic Causes of Alzheimer’s Disease Empty Re: Type 3 Diabetes: Metabolic Causes of Alzheimer’s Disease

Post by Andy12345 Mon Aug 25 2014, 19:58

i watched my nan die of it, she spent the last 5 years without opening her eyes or nything else for that matter, it was dreadful, she was type2, her sister also went of it, she was very violent with it which was very odd as she was so mild mannered her whole life, everytime my mum forgets something she thinks shes getting it Sad
    janlyn

Post by janlyn Mon Aug 25 2014, 20:13

I know that feeling. I panic if I can't remember things - that probably makes it worse! I can still see my mum sitting in the day room in the hospital talking to her class of children ( she used to be a teacher) . There was no-one there but she was just how she used to be in front of a class of kids. I was in tears watching her.
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Male Posts : 1646

Post by Andy12345 Mon Aug 25 2014, 20:17

im so sorry Sad
    janlyn

Post by janlyn Mon Aug 25 2014, 20:24

It is a while ago now but sometimes I remember it as if it were yesterday.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Post by Jan1 Mon Aug 25 2014, 23:17

Alzheimers is one of the cruellest diseases and for those who have experienced it and watched a loved one deteriorate it is so heartbreaking. My dear Gran and my mum both suffered and it is only natural that I worry that 'it's going to happen to me'. It is only natural that the older we get we do not remember as quickly as we used to but are these 'senior moments' something more sinister?

In recent years like many I have done a little research and whereas reduction in carbohydrates / sugars can help diabetes I believe it can also help 'Type 3 Diabetes - Alzheimers'.

I now live the LCHF lifestyle. I have five simple tips that I am hoping will see me into my senior years as happily and healthily as possible. They are:
    1. I eat low carb
    2. I eat moderate protein
    3. I eat high fat
    4. I exercise regularly
    5. I try to establish a good sleep pattern

However we live our lives remains a personal choice, a personal decision. It is good to exchange ideas, thoughts and personal journeys ...... by sharing this we can help each other.

A handshake across the internet/web .....a kindly word given may just make a difference to someone's life. There is enough grief on this earth so let's do what we can to help each other.

'Sermon over' - good wishes to all  sunny

All the best Jan
    clearviews
    clearviews

Post by clearviews Tue Aug 26 2014, 13:45

My mother has a dementia. Currently thought to be Parkinson's with Lewy Bodies with possibly Alzheimers too. We are told there and up to 100 types of dementia by the Geriatrician. Mum has bouts of aggression that are not always down to a UTI.
    My maternal Grandmother's death certificate noted "hardening of the arteries" and today it would have been called vascular dementia. She was violent towards the end. My Aunt (Mum's sister) certainly had some form of dementia when she last visited us in Australia in 2007 and has since had some strokes and a mighty one that did not kill her and today she resides in an Oxfordshire nursing home unable to speak or get herself out of bed.
    My father's older brother died "completely batty" so we are told.
    My father has grave fears as his memory is hopeless, his balance is shot and he sees the writing on the wall for him too.
    As a result of Mum's shock diagnosis I have been researching constantly as I did when I was diagnosed with T2. I do believe that if tested today, my Mother would be diagnosed with T2. I saw some of her figures a couple of years ago.
    I have been firmly convinced that the low fat diet is one of the culprits in causing dementia but after reading an article today on a dementia site I am not so sure.
    It would appear that those with Down's Syndrome have features in their brains not unlike AD sufferers and when a Down's Syndrome person reaches a ripe old age, as many do these days, 100% of them will develop AD.
    This now seems to indicate a strong genetic link.
    Not turning away from my ketogenic diet though as it gives me the best control of my diabetes. The rest I will have to leave up to fate and genetics.
    clearviews
    clearviews

Post by clearviews Tue Aug 26 2014, 13:51

Post by Guest Tue Aug 26 2014, 14:13

I am not really sure where I believe the cause to be , or indeed if anyone really does know ...
    My father has AD, and what a healthy life and diet he ate , grew own veg , had plenty of exercise ...still walks now at 78 , that is part of his daily routine ....short term memory is his problem ....started when he was 60.
    Still has home cooked food ...no processed...was in the fire service so liked a pint with the boys ...
    Same with his aunts ....they both lived well until their nineties .....but both had AD
    Really sad to see people ....go down this route , when they have been active members of a working community .....none of the above have or had diabetes ....
    I think so many different illnesses are awful .... Sad
    Often wonder how everyone copes...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02 2024, 12:47