THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

5 posters

Vitamin D Deficiency Is Way More Rampant Than We Believed

Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Vitamin D Deficiency Is Way More Rampant Than We Believed Empty Vitamin D Deficiency Is Way More Rampant Than We Believed

Post by Jan1 Sat Mar 21 2015, 10:52

Vitamin D Deficiency Is Way More Rampant Than We Believed N-VITAMIN-D-DEFICIENCY-large570

"We need far more vitamin D than previously thought, according to two teams of researchers from Canada and the U.S.
    The Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) for vitamin D is ten times lower than what we actually need, say two teams of researchers who have challenged the US's National Academy of Sciences (NAS) and the Institute of Medicine (IOM), both responsible for the RDA.

"The error has broad implications for public health regarding disease prevention and achieving the stated goal of ensuring that the whole population has enough vitamin D to maintain bone health," says Dr. Cederic Garland, an adjunct professor at University of California, San Diego.

Currently the RDA for vitamin D established by the IOM is 600 international units per day until we reach 70 years of age, and 800 IU per day thereafter.

A Canadian research team reviewed each of the 10 studies the IOM used to arrive at their RDA and their calculations revealed that 600IU of vitamin D per day puts only half of the amount that they had assumed in the blood.

In scientific terms, that means that 97.5 percent of individuals will have serum 25 values of vitamin D above 26.8 nmol/L rather than above 50 nmol/L as the IOM had thought.

To get a serum 25 value of vitamin D of at least 50 nmol/L, you could need up to 8895 IU per day, according to the study.

Dr. Garland's team of US researchers wrote a letter confirming the Canadians team's findings, in which they suggest a slightly more conservative RDA.

"We call for the NAS-IOM and all public health authorities concerned with transmitting accurate nutritional information to the public to designate, as the RDA, a value of approximately 7,000 IU/day from all sources," wrote Dr. Garland and his colleagues.

Dr. Garland added that the number is well below the 10,000 IU currently considered safe by the IOM for teenagers and adults.

Two versions exist: Vitamin D2, known as ergocalciferol, and vitamin D3, also known as cholecalciferol, which is thought to be the more potent and favorable version of the two.

Fatty fish, such as salmon, tuna, sardines and cod liver oil contain hearty amounts of vitamin D3, yet most vitamin D3 is synthesized in the skin upon sun exposure, according to the World Health Organization.

Cereals, cheese and milk could be an important source of both types of vitamin D depending upon where you live yet because they are often fortified with synthetic versions and the amounts may vary.

Vitamin D is important for skin, bone and heart health and deficiencies can result in rickets and abnormal skin pigmentation, yet side effects of excess intake are rare and minimal, according to WebMD.

Both the study and the letter were published in the journal Nutrients."

Details taken from article here http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/03/19/vitamin-d-deficiency_n_6901972.html?ir=UK+Lifestyle&icid=maing-grid7%7Cuk%7Cdl17%7Csec3_lnk6%26pLid%3D338146

It is interesting to note that cereals were mentioned in the article. Some readers may decide not to eat those, but choose other natural whole foods instead. The article has been shown here as it originally appeared.

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Vitamin D Deficiency Is Way More Rampant Than We Believed Empty Re: Vitamin D Deficiency Is Way More Rampant Than We Believed

Post by Jan1 Thu Apr 09 2015, 18:49

The ins / outs / whys and why not of Vitamin D has been on my mind today !

I know many 'swear by' taking Vit D supplements ..... a blogging friend who low carbs and eats what many would say is a good balanced menu plan and gets quite a bit of sunshine was found to be low on Vit D levels. Decided to take additional Vit D pills and now at a recent blood test has dangerously high levels ....... so is off supplements.

Many of us do not have access to blood tests, many children are advised to take additional Vit D but do they have tests. My grandchildren do not take them, they have a good balanced diet and spend a lot of free time in the outdoors, which I think is good. If children are given additional Vit D (and there are those who may need it) what about those that don't could they have overly high levels.

Just wondered what other Forum members opinions may be?

Thanks

All the best Jan
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2439

Vitamin D Deficiency Is Way More Rampant Than We Believed Empty Re: Vitamin D Deficiency Is Way More Rampant Than We Believed

Post by Paul1976 Thu Apr 09 2015, 18:56

Difficult one Jan,I don't absorb vitamins very well through diet alone and I really don't get as much sun as I'd like,plus I do have some Vit D deficiency symptoms so I've took a gamble on 5000iu of D3 a day and will see how I go,reading around it seems that vit D toxicity is seen in people who take far higher doses than that,sometimes over 40,000iu per day over several months,I'll have to report back in 6 months and see if my levels are dangerous (Providing the Docs will do a test on the NHS that is)
    beardie
    beardie

Post by beardie Thu Apr 09 2015, 19:06

Paul1976 wrote:Difficult one Jan,I don't absorb vitamins very well through diet alone and I really don't get as much sun as I'd like,plus I do have some Vit D deficiency symptoms so I've took a gamble on 5000iu of D3 a day and will see how I go,reading around it seems that vit D toxicity is seen in people who take far higher doses than that,sometimes over 40,000iu per day over several months,I'll have to report back in 6 months and see if my levels are dangerous (Providing the Docs will do a test on the NHS that is)

4000 Is the maximum prescription dose.
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Post by Paul1976 Thu Apr 09 2015, 19:10

beardie wrote:
    Paul1976 wrote:Difficult one Jan,I don't absorb vitamins very well through diet alone and I really don't get as much sun as I'd like,plus I do have some Vit D deficiency symptoms so I've took a gamble on 5000iu of D3 a day and will see how I go,reading around it seems that vit D toxicity is seen in people who take far higher doses than that,sometimes over 40,000iu per day over several months,I'll have to report back in 6 months and see if my levels are dangerous (Providing the Docs will do a test on the NHS that is)

I purchase mine online,if needs be I can drop the dose to every 2 or 3 days during sunnier times,It's very early days and need to see if I notice an improvement in general wellbeing and go from there. Smile
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Thu Apr 09 2015, 19:15

Paul1976 wrote:
    beardie wrote:

I purchase mine online,if needs be I can drop the dose to every 2 or 3 days during sunnier times,It's very early days and need to see if I notice an improvement in general wellbeing and go from there. Smile

Thanks Paul - Thanks Beardie

This Vit D, and lack of, or too much of it only seems to have been talked about in more recent years. Has life changed that much? Are the popular sunscreens not helping?

As with any supplement the key has got to be tests to ensure you are doing the right thing, and I fear they are going to be increasingly hard to get.

Thanks

All the best Jan
    beardie
    beardie

Post by beardie Thu Apr 09 2015, 19:17

I seem to have lost a post again. it should have read.
    I was on 4000 for 12 weeks last year. then was told I could not be tested for a year which could only be for cost reasons. I have had other blood tests when I have asked for them, so the Vitamin D one may be expensive. It means I have to wait a year to see if it has worked. In the mean time I am getting worse and it could be that for all I know.
    beardie
    beardie

Post by beardie Thu Apr 09 2015, 19:20

The doctor might check your calcium levels if you ask. They told me a low result could be indicative of low vitamin D.
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Post by Paul1976 Thu Apr 09 2015, 19:21

Hi Beardie,This might be worth checking out in the interim... Smile

http://www.vitamindtest.org.uk/
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Thu Apr 09 2015, 19:26

The relevant test Exclamation .

This can so often be the problem. Patients need tests and they should be available.

The question is many people do choose to take supplements and are they doing the right thing?  

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Thu Apr 09 2015, 19:27

Paul1976 wrote:Hi Beardie,This might be worth checking out in the interim... Smile

http://www.vitamindtest.org.uk/

Thanks Paul - many may find this helpful

All the best Jan
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Post by Eddie Thu Apr 09 2015, 19:31

Call me and old sceptic or even a old septic, but this Vit D lark is another over hyped situation to flog stuff. People have survived for millions of years without necking supplements, but within a few years we are all not getting enough. Take up fishing, get out of the house and you will soon be getting so much Vit D the boffins will tell you skin cancer is one the way. Oh dear, it's enough to make me larf, almost. affraid
    beardie
    beardie

Post by beardie Thu Apr 09 2015, 19:34

Loose Cannon wrote:Call me and old sceptic or even a old septic, but this Vit D lark is another over hyped situation to flog stuff. People have survived for millions of years without necking supplements, but within a few years we are all not getting enough. Take up fishing, get out of the house and you will soon be getting so much Vit D the boffins will tell you skin cancer is one the way. Oh dear, it's enough to make me larf, almost. affraid
    You sir, are old and a sceptic Smile
    People like me would have died young even a hundred years ago.
    You may be right though.
    So much of what we are told is obviously nonsense.
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Thu Apr 09 2015, 19:44

beardie wrote:
    Loose Cannon wrote:Call me and old sceptic or even a old septic, but this Vit D lark is another over hyped situation to flog stuff. People have survived for millions of years without necking supplements, but within a few years we are all not getting enough. Take up fishing, get out of the house and you will soon be getting so much Vit D the boffins will tell you skin cancer is one the way. Oh dear, it's enough to make me larf, almost. affraid
    You sir, are old and a sceptic Smile
    People like me would have died young even a hundred years ago.
    You may be right though.
    So much of what we are told is obviously nonsense.

"You sir, are old and a sceptic" True

"People like me would have died young even a hundred years ago." Maybe

"You may be right though." correctamondo

"So much of what we are told is obviously nonsense." Too right, most of what we hear re. the best diet from most HCP's for diabetics is complete bollocks.

Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Thu Apr 09 2015, 20:08

I think more and more these days whatever your health problem (or not) the internet / web, Dr Google or who ever and what ever site you choose to visit can be part of your health care experience. Of course your Doctor or HCP is the main contact but perhaps if we the patient can take that added interest, it can be to our benefit. It is after all our body, our life ........ are some shaking their heads or agreeing ..... I wonder Question  

Anyway any more views on Vit D ?

All the best Jan
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Thu Apr 09 2015, 20:16

Jan1 wrote:I think more and more these days whatever your health problem (or not) the internet / web, Dr Google or who ever and what ever site you choose to visit can be part of your health care experience. Of course your Doctor or HCP is the main contact but perhaps if we the patient can take that added interest, it can be to our benefit. It is after all our body, our life ........ are some shaking their heads or agreeing ..... I wonder Question  

Any way any more views on Vit D ?

All the best Jan

"Of course your Doctor or HCP is the main contact"

Good grief, see what I have to put up with? Would these be the same HCP's that told me to eat starchy carbs with every meal? The HCP's that reside over a 93% failure rate for UK diabetics (NHS audited stats) bless her, she means well. Trust your medic, unless you need sound diabetes advice, from my experience, your next door neighbours cat has more idea.
    Indy51
    Indy51

Female Posts : 344

Post by Indy51 Thu Apr 09 2015, 21:43

Vitamin D supplementation was a life saver for me. I now make sure to get at least 20 minutes exposure on sunny days and during long periods of overcast weather I'll take a supplement as a top up. My original test level was 41. Last was 112 so I'm very sparing with supplementation now. After a few week's of taking the supplement, I literally felt like someone had turned on the light. I think anyone who feels run down, fatigued or achy should be tested, but seems like the accountants are cutting off access to testing.
    beardie
    beardie

Post by beardie Thu Apr 09 2015, 21:47

I think mine was about 30. the reason for not testing again has to be financial.

Bruce.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Thu Apr 09 2015, 22:25

I think with Vit D caution has to be taken with the amount of any supplementation. Care must be taken and for that blood tests should be available. Alas, we live in a far from perfect world for all suitable and necessary tests to be regularly accessed - unless you know any different?

All the best Jan
    beardie
    beardie

Post by beardie Thu Apr 09 2015, 22:34

Jan1 wrote:I think with Vit D caution has to be taken with the amount of any supplementation. Care must be taken and for that blood tests should be available. Alas, we live in a far from perfect world for all suitable and necessary tests to be regularly accessed - unless you know any different?

All the best Jan
    you are very correct

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19 2024, 13:10