THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

5 posters

AT LAST SIR TERRY WE MUST WALK TOGETHER

Mrs Vimes
    Mrs Vimes

Female Posts : 156

AT LAST SIR TERRY WE MUST WALK TOGETHER Empty AT LAST SIR TERRY WE MUST WALK TOGETHER

Post by Mrs Vimes Sat Mar 14 2015, 13:42

Gutted. Sir Terry Pratchett has died, no more Night Watch.

I'll never get to marry Sam Vimes.

Loved Sir Terry for his talent and for his work for the Alzheimer's cause.
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

AT LAST SIR TERRY WE MUST WALK TOGETHER Empty Re: AT LAST SIR TERRY WE MUST WALK TOGETHER

Post by Eddie Sat Mar 14 2015, 17:46

It's at times like this we can be thankful for 'only being diabetics', so many more horrible illnesses we could have gone down with. Jan lost her Mother to Alzheimer's, I would not wish it on my worst enemy, a truly horrible way to check out.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

AT LAST SIR TERRY WE MUST WALK TOGETHER Empty Re: AT LAST SIR TERRY WE MUST WALK TOGETHER

Post by Jan1 Sun Mar 15 2015, 16:36

Mrs Vimes wrote:Gutted. Sir Terry Pratchett has died, no more Night Watch.

Yes RIP Terry.

Alzheimer's is such a cruel disease, I lost my dear mum, and also my Gran (her mum), to Dementia/Alzheimers. Certain diseases / illnesses do tend to run in families.

Which, with Alzheimer's sometimes now referred to as Type 3 Diabetes, my choice to live the LCHF lifestyle can only help .......

All the best Jan
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2439

Post by Paul1976 Sun Mar 15 2015, 17:10

Jan1 wrote:

Yes RIP Terry.

Alzheimer's is such a cruel disease, I lost my dear mum, and also my Gran (her mum), to Dementia/Alzheimers. Certain diseases / illnesses do tend to run in families.

Which, with Alzheimer's sometimes now referred to as Type 3 Diabetes, my choice to live the LCHF lifestyle can only help .......

All the best Jan

Very cruel disease and is certainly not as simple as losing some memory as some folks may assume in society...My memories of my great grandmother before she died was either her sitting in the chair smiling at me (Older family members reported she never smiled before she was ill) or getting excited and grabbing my hand to take me to her patio window because she wanted to show me the pixies in the garden(Which of course weren't there) but to other family members she could be quite aggressive so I got off lightly but in the end she died of anorexia as she simply stopped eating and wasted away to nothing-Her son,my grandad now has Alzheimers and is in a bad way and currently is in hospital following a fall at home awaiting a transfer into residential care in the midlands as he can not go back home now for his own safety and he is in the north east so this move will hopefully have him near us all so we can give him lots of company.
    Mrs Vimes
    Mrs Vimes

Post by Mrs Vimes Sun Mar 15 2015, 17:15

I'd heard that about dementia being called type 3. Sorry to hear so many relations have been affected by such a cruel thing. The type 2s in my family who seemed lax(?) in their control ended up with dementia.
    I'm with you Jan.
    The SAD diet seems to have only increased problems. Lchf couldn't be any worse. So that is the path I'm taking to avoid inflammation and the rest.

Sir Terry kept his humour and hid dignity throughout whilst bringing attention to dementia. Bless him.

'His dignity'
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Post by Eddie Sun Mar 15 2015, 17:24

"Nutrition and Alzheimer's disease: The detrimental role of a high carbohydrate diet"

"In this paper, we have highlighted that AD may also be caused by a deficiency in the supply chain of cholesterol, fats, and antioxidants to the brain. We have provided much evidence of the importance of these nutrients to brain function, and have shown that AD patients are deficient in cholesterol and fats in the cerebral spinal fluid."

Those killer carbs and low fat diets go way beyond diabetes.

The link to the paper is here. http://people.csail.mit.edu/seneff/EJIM_PUBLISHED.pdf
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Sun Mar 15 2015, 17:30

Paul wrote:
    Jan1 wrote:

Yes RIP Terry.

All the best Jan

Very cruel disease and is certainly not as simple as losing some memory as some folks may assume in society...My memories of my great grandmother before she died was either her sitting in the chair smiling at me (Older family members reported she never smiled before she was ill) or getting excited and grabbing my hand to take me to her patio window because she wanted to show me the pixies in the garden(Which of course weren't there) but to other family members she could be quite aggressive so I got off lightly but in the end she died of anorexia as she simply stopped eating and wasted away to nothing-Her son,my grandad now has Alzheimers and is in a bad way and currently is in hospital following a fall at home awaiting a transfer into residential care in the midlands as he can not go back home now for his own safety and he is in the north east so this move will hopefully have him near us all so we can give him lots of company.

Sorry to hear your Grandad is in a bad way Paul. I do hope it helps when he is able to be transferred to a residential home nearer the family.

One of the last things to happen to someone with dementia/Alzheimer's is they loose the swallowing reflex, they become unable to eat. With my mum, the family were given the choice 'do we want her fed through tubes' or did we want no 'intervention'. We chose no intervention, not an easy decision, but as the vague person, or shell, who used to look at me when we visited had long forgotten or realised it was me (or other family members) talking to her, it was I think the only decision. We could not prolong her life - it was no quality of life.

Gosh, I can hardly see the keyboard keys as I type this, I need to grab some tissues.......

On Mothers Day, as always, she will be forever part of me and I send her all my love.

All the best Jan
    Mrs Vimes
    Mrs Vimes

Post by Mrs Vimes Sun Mar 15 2015, 17:33

Oh bless you Jan. Xx
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2439

Post by Paul1976 Sun Mar 15 2015, 17:38

Aw no! Crying or Very sad Hope you feel better soon Jan! The last thing I wanted to do was to bring up sad memories for you on mothers day of all days. Sad
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Sun Mar 15 2015, 17:44

Paul wrote:Aw no! Crying or Very sad Hope you feel better soon Jan! The last thing I wanted to do was to bring up sad memories for you on mothers day of all days. Sad

Not at all Paul - she is on my mind every day, she was such a special person.
    I love to talk about her, the many smiles, and tears, can be a great mix Smile

It is also important for people to realise and learn more about this cruel disease. Names like Sir Terry Pratchett help and I think the new film out 'Still Alice' helps too.

All the best Jan

PS Thanks Mrs Vimes for your thoughts too.
    Dillinger
    Dillinger

Male Posts : 209

Post by Dillinger Mon Mar 16 2015, 14:18

That's very poignant Jan; I'm sorry for your loss. If I weren't such a ruthless commercial lawyer I would be blubbing a bit. No, no, that's something in my eye, ahem.

Best

Dillinger

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 03 2024, 02:12