THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

+5
Eddie
RANDBURG
Baruney
merrylizard1314
nomistheman
9 posters

FastOber

Baruney
    Baruney

Male Posts : 167

FastOber - FastOber - Page 3 Empty Re: FastOber

Post by Baruney Sun Oct 11 2015, 10:23

Morning troops

Not a good day yesterday. Major wine induced blowout has kershuffled last weeks hard work. Not feeling very clever so straight back on it.

Fasting bloods 7.1 and no needs to test ketones.
    Baruney
    Baruney

Post by Baruney Tue Oct 13 2015, 09:11

Morning troops

Flying visit, By default rather than design Sunday turned out to be an Intermittent fast in that only had supper and yesterday turned into another IF due to work. So had a BPC at 5pm and supper of 2 fried eggs, bratwurst, 5 pieces bacon and 2 tbls mayonaise at 7.30pm. Light 3 to 4 mile jog in between. 1200 cals but protein ratio still too high at 19%.

Bloods this morning good. 5.7 fasting and blood ketones 0.6. Happy with that.
    merrylizard1314
    merrylizard1314

Female Posts : 90

Post by merrylizard1314 Tue Oct 13 2015, 17:58

On Sunday (lowcarb)
    Fat 73%
    Carbs 12%
    Protein 15%
    Calories 1263 so a bit over. And I had a very small glass of red.

Monday(fat fast)
    Fat 71%
    Carbs11%
    Protein18%
    Calories1,093. I was not at home, nor in control of meals, but did the best I could.

Tuesday ( fat fast )
    Fat 83%
    Carbs 4%
    Protein13%
    Cals 1019
    Throughout, my BGLs have been between 3.8- 5.5mmol/L and the ketone readings have been 1.0- 2.4. So, happy with that.
    Tomorrow is the first of 3lowcarb days, and my goal is to stay at 1200 kcal. I seem to be eating almost exactly the right amount for homeostasis. And I am not doing anything out of the ordinary as regards exercise, just walk/running and a bit of swimming and gardening.
    Keep well, everyone.
    Baruney
    Baruney

Post by Baruney Wed Oct 14 2015, 09:52

Perfect numbers as per usual our man down under.

Thank you ever so much for Eddies book. Looks like the wombats are going to have to lchf and keep off the carrots and oats. No wonder the poor blighter is so tired.

So here we are on a low carb day. So hard not to overdo it on the ratios. The bpc help bump up the fat but finding it hard with low % protein wise. Not through I must have meat but just food choice wise even the fattest cuts of meat have quite a bit of protein. The secret may be in the sauce! So will have to get the cookbooks out for a bit of bernaise etc.

Anyhow fasting bloods 5.9 and blood ketones 0.4.

FastOber - FastOber - Page 3 Wombat10
    merrylizard1314
    merrylizard1314

Post by merrylizard1314 Wed Oct 14 2015, 19:30

This am BGL 5.0 mmmol/L. Swimming for an hour this morning. Today I have been having spinach and cauliflower soup, as too busy for anything more complicated. It is quite carby for me, as my 2hr pp was still 5.0mmol/L .
    After dinner (4.30pm) pp BGL was 4.3 . No idea about ketones as will have to buy more strips tomorrow.
    @Baruney That wombat book is a favourite of some young gentlemen I am familiar with, and I tell them that the wombat probably has carbohydrate -induced narcolepsy.
    For steaks, although I don't eat them myself,I do cook for others, and I get some butter, garlic and chives, pound it together, so it is thoroughly mixed, then freeze it in ice cube trays. When the steak is cooked, pop the herb butter on top et voila! no need for sauce.
    It is difficult to get the ratios right, as regards protein. I am always aware now that protein is half as insulinogenic as carbohydrate, but sometimes you just have to go with what your body needs.
    I find now that after a higher than usual carb meal, I do feel a bit sleepy, and I tell myself that my brain is trying to put me into "repair mode" rather like a wombat.
    Baruney
    Baruney

Post by Baruney Thu Oct 15 2015, 09:55

Morning Troops

Well - I posted the previous picture from my phone - hard to rotate and when you look at it (from a phone or tablet) the right hand side is cut off but you can see the whole pic from a pc. So @merrylizard1314 if you are looking at the forum from your ipad you will have missed what Little Ted was holding in his hand.

Rotated and posted from the PC so hopefully you'll get the full picture now.

Anyho Fasting Bloods 5.7 and Blood ketones 0.7. Manic day yesterday and so by default it turned into another IF. Non stop till 6pm - was intending to go for a run but truth be told it was raining and I couldn't be arsed. Felt quite light headed but in a good way so had a snack of philli meatzas - ie philli smeared on slices of microwave nuked salami followed by a red thai curry. 2 hour eating window then set off home at 8 pm. couldn't go to sleep and had a cup of green tea 2.30am. Was expecting number to be higher so happy with that.

Only had the 1 light jog this week but game of racketball booked for tonight and tomorrow lunch and intend to do Saturday's Parkrun to test out the leg.

Got to say that I reckon IF is the way forward - found this article very enlightening merrylizard

https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/fasting-and-muscle-mass-fasting-part-14/

@nomistheman just booked in on Twitter - on a fat fat today and needs to do some work on his number 7.1 fasting and blood ketones 0.3. Go nom!  run  run  run

FastOber - FastOber - Page 3 Wobat_10
    Baruney
    Baruney

Post by Baruney Fri Oct 16 2015, 10:04

Morning Troops

5.2 fasting bloods and 1.3 blood ketones. Very happy with that.

Not even close to a low carb day day yesterday. IF till 6.30 pm. Broke the fast with a glass of vino as Mrs Bruney, Little Ted and the dog turned up just as I was finishing playing Racketball and the bar was open. Need I say more!

Anyho. Just the one glass of wine and then bratwurst, coleslaw, green salad, olives, cream cheese, advicados and roasted peppers and a big lump of Senf for supper. Haven't mfp'd it yet but just looking at it going to be high on the protein again and considering those braty's have 260 cals in just one of them bad boys - way over the calorie count. OPPS just remembered I had a little nibble on Nobby's Nuts with my vino.

Leg good - going to play again later today and then take it out for a Parkrun on Saturday morning.

Last food day of Fastober today and rounding off with a 48 water fast over the weekend - if we're still going for that?

Debrief on Monday morning.
    merrylizard1314
    merrylizard1314

Post by merrylizard1314 Sun Oct 18 2015, 03:46

Friday BGL 5.0 mmmol/L
    Salmon and ricotta cakes for lunch, egg salad, and chocolate mousse for dinner. With cheese and wine at the theatre in the evening.
    Cals 1078
    Fat 56%
    Carbs25%
    Protein19%. I think this report would say, " could do better"
    Saturday, water fast and today, Sunday, so far, so good, but this evening will be difficult, as family are returning and expectations of feasting will be high. Ketones 2.2, BGL 4.6 and B P 125/60 (at last!) must be all the gardening, it is full on at this time of year.

@Baruney, thanks for the fasting link, it does make sense! I think my muscle mass must be improving with all this gardening - I've been setting up some new vegetable beds. Lots of earth moving and manure spreading, not to mention frame building!
    Baruney
    Baruney

Post by Baruney Tue Oct 20 2015, 11:53

Morning Troops

Great numbers as usual @merrylizard1314. Bang on the money and BP behaving itself too - must be the gardening - total body workout.

We my report would be a bit below 'could do better' as didn't finish the weekend with a water fast - just low carb intermit fasting so end results are:

Fasting bloods Start 10.9 Finish 5.0
    Blood Ketones Start 0.2 Finish 1.0
    Weight loss 8 pounds.

So not a disaster but nowhere near our star pupil - our man down under.

Not entirely sure what's happened to Nom - seen him twittering about so will catchup with him to find out what's going on.

Going forward - can't shift this dam cold. It's now gone past the annoying stage to bothersome. Still lacking on the running so will have to pick that up. Going to stick with Intermit fasting on a 20/4 until I get Fasting bloods below 5 and Blood ketones above 1 first thing in the morning.

What do people fancy in November? How about a see how long you can fast for??
    merrylizard1314
    merrylizard1314

Post by merrylizard1314 Tue Oct 20 2015, 18:40

Bonjour, all,
    As expected, I had to abandon the water fast on Sunday, but kept consumption of carbs to a minimum.
    From Monday to Wednesday ( today ) I have been ADF ( alternate day fasting ) and find it suits me well so far.
    Fat 92%
    Carb 2%
    Protein 6%
    BGL 4.2mmol/L Ketones 2.1 BP 115/70 pulse rate 50
    My weight has remained fairly stable, I've lost 1kg, but that is not really significant, so possibly the amount I am eating is about right for me now. The main effect is the loss of four inches on my waist, but that could be the swimming. So it has been successful for me, despite the slip-ups.
    Pity nom is so busy, he always has an interesting analysis.
    That cold sounds awful, @Baruney, not a good idea to do a lot of running before you shake it off. Walking would be ok, though, important to have good wool socks, I always find. Alpaca, if you can come by them. Are you persevering with the apple cider vin? And all those vitamins and supplements? I read somewhere that they should always be taken with food for the best effect..
    On Thursday, I will get the HbA1c report, as I had the blood test on Monday. Expecting a good number- it is strange how so many doctors still cling to the belief that T2D is a progressive, chronic disease with unavoidable complications requiring more and more medications. My doctor is better than most, I think, and often asks me about what I am doing, though still remaining sceptical about whether anything will make a difference in the long run, especially anything emanating from the Internet! And so far has not offered me any meds, like Metformin for example.
    Fastember may not be possible for me as there are six family birthdays in that month, but ADF would be ok.
    Catch you later, keep well, everyone!
    merrylizard1314
    merrylizard1314

Post by merrylizard1314 Thu Oct 22 2015, 16:51

Just had HbA1c report. All is well. I am officially not even prediabetic. The IFCC number was less than 34.
    I am happy, but not complacent, and will still monitor BGLs.
    Strangely, although HDL cholesterol had risen to 2.2,, the triglycerides were also higher, from .85 to 1.2
    CRP was steady at 2.1
    Off to bed now, goodnight all
    Baruney
    Baruney

Post by Baruney Thu Oct 22 2015, 23:13

Lovely big blood test there our man down under. What is crp. Just back in from London - crazy place so thankfully 2 days max a week up there. Looking forward to the end of the week.
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Fri Oct 23 2015, 20:08

merrylizard1314 wrote:
    Strangely, although HDL cholesterol had risen to 2.2,, the triglycerides were also higher, from .85 to 1.2
    Don't worry too much about it, trigs tend to jump up and down a fair bit. The ratio is still excellent and that's what counts (better than mine <sulk>)
    merrylizard1314
    merrylizard1314

Post by merrylizard1314 Sat Oct 24 2015, 08:49

No need to sulk, @chris c, the first HbA1c test I had, was horrifying in its implications, (and very likely worse than you've ever had) I thought I'd be dead in a week.
    The CRP ( C-reactive Protein, a marker for inflammation) was 117, (normal is less than 5), I was in constant pain from arthritis, I was grossly overweight but until the point where I had the blood test, I'd felt that I was managing everything well. I was not inactive, nor a couch potato, and I did not have time to be T2D!
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Sun Oct 25 2015, 21:41

My A1c has never been over 6%, mainly because my postprandial spikes alternate with post-postprandial lows, but my lipids were always a disaster.

In retrospect I passed my first gallstone in my early twenties, when I was eating an Ornish-style high carb low fat grain-based vegan diet. I continued passing them with increasing frequency for the next ten years while eating a less extreme diet but still based on "healthy whole grains".

After I FINALLY had them diagnosed and my gallbladder taken out, I was of course told they were because I ate "too much fat". Anecdotally I knew a few other people who'd had gallstones on a low fat diet but it was only when I read a post on Diet Doctor that I realised how common this was - and how the mechanism works - apart from the "diabetic" dyslipidemia, low fat reduces demand for bile so it stays in the gall bladder until it starts to crystallise.

At the time I was told I had low HDL, high LDL and very high trigs "but the trigs wouldn't be a problem as long as I ate a low fat diet to keep my LDL down" which was utter bollocks.

Naturally they didn't give me the results in those days and it was nearly 15 years later that I discovered my lipids were still just as bad, trigs 4.3, HDL 0.6, LDL 4.2. The dietician made them WORSE.

Today HDL is around 1.4, trigs from 0.4 to 1.4, LDL 2.4 with a statin, 4.2 without. Trigs/HDL went from nearly 7 on low fat to mostly under 1. That'll do me! Still I get a tad jealous when I see what other people achieve but then they probably weren't so metabolically broken for so long.

It still never ceases to amaze me how many things improve so markedly when you eat the exact opposite of what you have been told . . .

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19 2024, 19:47