THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

+4
zand
mo1905
Jan1
horfilmania
8 posters

Horfilmania's Journey

horfilmania
    horfilmania

Female Posts : 68

Horfilmania's Journey Empty Horfilmania's Journey

Post by horfilmania Sat Jan 03 2015, 01:47

I'm joining the 2015 blubber bash. My goals differ from Eddie's as I have a lot more weight to lose.

Wt on Jan 1 - 222.2
    Target mini-goal wt - 202
    for a total of 20 lbs

Don't know how long it will take but probably a lot longer than Eddie.

Don't have a problem with alcohol, can't stand the taste of it or the smell even. thumb-up

I'm not diabetic but I do suffer from insulin resistance. My siblings and I are carbohydrate intolerant and no matter how active we are we gain weight if we eat even an average amount of carbohydrate. All three of us are on some sort of low-carb plan. My brother is all meat, I'm ketogenic with intermittent fasting and my sister is on the Atkins plan. My brother lost 100 lbs and is at a stable weight of 165 lbs. My sister lost 90 lbs and still needs to lose about 50 lbs and I'm the oldest and the least successful.

Glad you started a members journal section.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Horfilmania's Journey Empty Re: Horfilmania's Journey

Post by Jan1 Sat Jan 03 2015, 12:26

Great to see your post here 'Horf' .......wishing you all the best in your weight loss journey.

Take Care

All the best Jan
    mo1905
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2305

Post by mo1905 Sat Jan 03 2015, 21:05

horfilmania wrote:I'm joining the 2015 blubber bash. My goals differ from Eddie's as I have a lot more weight to lose.

Wt on Jan 1 - 222.2
    Target mini-goal wt - 202
    for a total of 20 lbs

Don't know how long it will take but probably a lot longer than Eddie.

Don't have a problem with alcohol, can't stand the taste of it or the smell even. thumb-up

I'm not diabetic but I do suffer from insulin resistance. My siblings and I are carbohydrate intolerant and no matter how active we are we gain weight if we eat even an average amount of carbohydrate. All three of us are on some sort of low-carb plan. My brother is all meat, I'm ketogenic with intermittent fasting and my sister is on the Atkins plan. My brother lost 100 lbs and is at a stable weight of 165 lbs. My sister lost 90 lbs and still needs to lose about 50 lbs and I'm the oldest and the least successful.

Glad you started a members journal section.
    Glad you're taking part ! Time frame doesn't matter too much as it's all a personal thing. Do you have a plan to shed the weight or is it purely calorie reduction ? Good luck and look forward to following your progress !
    horfilmania
    horfilmania

Post by horfilmania Thu Jan 08 2015, 18:59

I'm into a ketogenic diet with intermittent fasting along the lines of Dr. Jason Fung. Once I'm in ketosis I don't have to worry about calories because my appetite is basically gone. I have to force myself to eat on those days that are actual eating days and I only eat once a day.

I'm luckier than most people here in that I don't have to worry about adjusting meds or high or low blood sugars as I'm not diabetic. However, willpower is not one of my strong suits and my 65th birthday blow-out set me back by about 5 lbs, so now I have to lose about 5 lbs to get me back to my starting weight of 222.2 Crying or Very sad
    zand
    zand

Female Posts : 1940

Post by zand Thu Jan 08 2015, 19:15

That's very close to my starting weight too. I'm not yet in the right frame of mind to start my journal though, so you're one step (at least) ahead of me!
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Post by Eddie Thu Jan 08 2015, 19:28

Can we have a bit less honesty here please, the low carb antis have had a field day talking about my twenty pound weight gain over the last six years LOL Now, you two get on the case and don't give me this not in the right frame of mind bullshit.

BTW I am half way down a very nice bottle of Rioja, my will power went out of the window tonight. Jan's been away for a couple of days, that's my excuse and I miss her. She will be home soon to a very nice pork casserole bubbling away.

Back on the case tomorrow.

Good luck Horf and Zand
    mo1905
    mo1905

Post by mo1905 Thu Jan 08 2015, 19:52

We're all gonna have occasional bad days and set backs. We're in it for the long haul though. Also, let's all not get overly focussed on weight loss alone, fitness should come into the equation too if poss. I've seen some very skinny people who are a wreck and can't climb a flight of stairs. Our goals and methods will all vary but the main thing is to try and make gains, however small they may be.
    zand
    zand

Post by zand Thu Jan 08 2015, 20:06

eddie1 wrote:Can we have a bit less honesty here please, the low carb antis have had a field day talking about my twenty pound weight gain over the last six years LOL Now, you two get on the case and don't give me this not in the right frame of mind bullshit.

BTW I am half way down a very nice bottle of Rioja, my will power went out of the window tonight. Jan's been away for a couple of days, that's my excuse and I miss her. She will be home soon to a very nice pork casserole bubbling away.

Back on the case tomorrow.

Good luck Horf and Zand

Just let me get over the flu properly first and I'll be there, honest.
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2439

Post by Paul1976 Thu Jan 08 2015, 20:17

Same here Zand,been crook for 4 weeks now myself and getting worse not better and BG's through the roof-just checked my 14 day average on my meter and it's 16! Crying or Very sad
    No exercise either as I don't have enough energy to even walk my dog and TBH I've had enough and I'm going to hit the GP's big time tomorrow for some answers as I'm just feeling pissed off with it all now.
    mo1905
    mo1905

Post by mo1905 Thu Jan 08 2015, 20:20

Bloody hell Paul, 16 avg ? Something odd going on there mate, get down the docs !
    zand
    zand

Post by zand Thu Jan 08 2015, 21:11

Paul wrote:Same here Zand,been crook for 4 weeks now myself and getting worse not better and BG's through the roof-just checked my 14 day average on my meter and it's 16! Crying or Very sad
    No exercise either as I don't have enough energy to even walk my dog and TBH I've had enough and I'm going to hit the GP's big time tomorrow for some answers as I'm just feeling pissed off with it all now.

Yes I've been ill for 4 weeks too, no energy either. I'm just getting better though, so I'm hoping I won't need to go to the doctor. I don't like doctors.
    graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Post by graham64 Thu Jan 08 2015, 22:32

Paul wrote:Same here Zand,been crook for 4 weeks now myself and getting worse not better and BG's through the roof-just checked my 14 day average on my meter and it's 16! Crying or Very sad

I bet you are feeling pissed off Paul 4 weeks is along time to be feeling crap, hope you get sorted at the docs tomorrow keep us updated.
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Male Posts : 1646

Post by Andy12345 Fri Jan 09 2015, 11:39

Horfilmania's Journey Enhanced-29189-1420554229-3
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Fri Jan 09 2015, 11:42

Is that aimed at me Andy, I like it. lol!
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Post by Andy12345 Fri Jan 09 2015, 11:46

lol yup Smile
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Fri Jan 09 2015, 12:28

Andy start drinking think of your health mate  wtf  

The recommended daily allowance for alcohol consumption in Britain may well be around the size of a medium to large glass of wine depending on your gender, but a leading scientist in the field has claimed drinking just over a bottle a day would do no harm to your health.

Former World Health Organisation alcohol expert Dr Kari Poikolainen has analysed decades of research into the effects of alcohol on the human body, The Daily Mail reports.

His conclusion - drinking is only harmful when you consume more than 13 units a day - that’s four to five pints of beer or more than a bottle of wine - which typically contains around 10 units.

He also believes that drinking more than the current recommended daily intake may in fact be healthier than being a teetotaler.

“The weight of the evidence shows moderate drinking is better than abstaining and heavy drinking is worse than abstaining – however the moderate amounts can be higher than the guidelines say,” Dr Poikolainen reportedly told The Mail.

Link http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/news/a-bottle-of-wine-a-day-is-not-bad-for-you-and-abstaining-is-worse-than-drinking-scientist-claims-9271010.html
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Post by Andy12345 Fri Jan 09 2015, 12:31

its not the alcohol i hate, its what it does to peoples state of mind (or some peoples anyway)

on saying that, i betcha you could find studies that show the health benefits of chasing the dragon
    zand
    zand

Post by zand Fri Jan 09 2015, 12:36

OK @eddie1 I believe there are health benefits to drinking some alcohol in moderation. The problem I have is that all these studies are aimed at the average person. There isn't really such a thing as an average person. The 'safe' daily limits are not safe for everyone. It is possible to become an alcoholic whilst only drinking at 'safe' levels for a relatively short time. How do any of us know if we are 'average' or not.....until it's too late?

I have failed in my diet and exercise plan for this year already, due to ill health. The alcohol free year is still on track though. Smile
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Fri Jan 09 2015, 12:47

It was a joke oh dear, sorry Horf for being involved with high jacking your thread.

Next time I will give a BANTER Warning. freakout
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Post by Andy12345 Fri Jan 09 2015, 12:51

yeah Zand! it was a joke! Rolling Eyes

alien
    zand
    zand

Post by zand Fri Jan 09 2015, 13:13

D'uh yeh guys, I know! What a Face
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Post by Andy12345 Fri Jan 09 2015, 13:16

lol, i could imagine you actually saying the D'uh
    zand
    zand

Post by zand Fri Jan 09 2015, 13:23

lol good - 'cos I actually did!

Sorry @Horfilmania you can derail my journal too when I finally get around to starting it
    horfilmania
    horfilmania

Post by horfilmania Fri Jan 09 2015, 18:35

No problems, the more the merrier. I'm still on plan and re-losing the weight I gained during the 1st week of January.

Alcohol is not an issue for me, can't stand the stuff so no temptation at all.

Weather is still in the minus 20's C and had to replace my car battery again this year. Found out the plug-in the the parking lot didn't work so now am plugging in the neighbour's outlet. Thank God I'm moving to another province in the spring where the weather is a bit milder. Also, my body can't take any more falls on the ice and snow. If I fall again, I won't be able to get up and my knees are completely shot.
    zand
    zand

Post by zand Fri Jan 09 2015, 18:54

Well done. I'll be doing that soon too, hopefully.

-20C ?? Yes I think I'd move to a warmer place too! Brrrrrrr.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content