THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

+17
Sharon
zand
Eddie
graham64
Bebo321
Scandichic
Mrs Vimes
cold ethyl
Bluetit
Xyz
Indy51
Paul1976
Loobles
Jan1
Andy12345
sanguine
mo1905
21 posters

How do you keep fit ? Or don't you ?

Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

How do you keep fit ? Or don't you ? - Page 5 Empty Re: How do you keep fit ? Or don't you ?

Post by Jan1 Wed May 04 2016, 22:00

Well Do You Keep Fit Or Don't You !!!

Did you enjoy a walk or run earlier today.
    Perhaps you visited the gym or went swimming.
    Gardening is a good way of keeping fit too!

Now for any reader over 60yrs how about this article!

Revealed: The Exercise That Could Help People In Their Sixties Live Longer

Forget aerobics, pumping iron could help you live longer.

For 15 years, researchers followed over 30,000 people aged 65 and over to see how their fitness habits affected their life spans.

They found that those who lifted weights twice per week cut their risk of dying earlier by 46%, compared to those who strength trained less or not at all.

Those who engaged in strength training were also less likely to die of heart disease or cancer.

Despite the health benefits, only 9.6% of the study’s participants regularly performed strength training activities like lifting weights, stair climbing or using resistance bands .

The health effects were the same for those who strength trained regardless of differences in health concerns like diabetes, drinking alcohol and smoking.

Strength training is beneficial to health as it increases bone density and strengthens muscles.

This can improve balance and stability, both of which are major factors in falls and fractures, which can be disabling to many older people.

For those who want to try strength training out at home, Shannon Jewell, club manager at Alex Fitness, recommends focusing on combining several movements linking your lower and upper body.

“Combining compound (multiple muscle) movements performed in a controlled manner will task your central nervous system, resulting in improved strength and balance gains,” she explained.

“Both areas are key for anyone over the age of 65.”

Before exercising, it’s really important to warm up so you don’t hurt yourself.

Tom Godwin, course tutor and developer at Train Fitness, says: “This will help to get you ready for the workout ahead and also reduce the risk of injury.

“It should involve an element that will help to increase the heart rate (pulse raiser) and some form of stretching (mobility).”

There are details of the exercises recommended at the article here
    http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/lifting-weights-twice-a-week-could-help-you-live-longer_uk_5729be8de4b0ade291a10fd0?icid=maing-grid7%7Cuk%7Cdl7%7Csec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D456101

Will May be your month to get fit or even fitter Smile

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

How do you keep fit ? Or don't you ? - Page 5 Empty Re: How do you keep fit ? Or don't you ?

Post by Jan1 Wed Dec 21 2016, 12:58

If any readers are into keeping fit ...

There was this article on 'The Diabetes Diet' blog you may like to read about

Apps for Activity Tracking

Emma writes

"Meet my new toy – the Jawbone Up activity tracker.

As activity trackers go, this is one of the basic ones. It tracks your movement and your sleep. But that’s still something. The analytics include a log of the longest time you’re active and idle and it tells you your sleep patterns too.

My husband got one through work, but was interested. As it was going spare, I took it up. You download an app for it, pair it with the device and away you go. Walk walk, walk…

So far, I’ve only done a couple of other forms of exercise while wearing it – a Joe Wicks work-out I found on YouTube, which it recorded, and some body weight exercises that don’t seem to register unless you count the steps you move while performing them.

You can log your other exercise and the app claims if you do this, the app will learn to recognise things. That might be interesting for a class such as spin, for example.

Anyway, it is interesting wearing a tracker and it does compel you to move more."

you can continue reading her full article here
    https://diabetesdietblog.com/2016/12/20/apps-for-activity-tracking/

... anyone for a walk  Question  

All the best Jan
    mo1905
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2305

Post by mo1905 Wed Dec 21 2016, 19:49

I recently got a Fitbit Surge and it has definitely made me more aware of my fitness/movement etc. Great piece of kit. Sorry I haven't been here for a while but I do always check in and see what's going on.
    been a rough year for me, no excuse I know though.
    Hope you are all well :-)
    Mo !
    graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Post by graham64 Wed Dec 21 2016, 21:15

mo1905 wrote:I recently got a Fitbit Surge and it has definitely made me more aware of my fitness/movement etc. Great piece of kit. Sorry I haven't been here for a while but I do always check in and see what's going on.
    Mo !

Hi Mo good to hear from you  Cool you don't need excuses mate just so long as you keep in touch so we know your'e OK, I'm hoping that Paul might drop in too not heard from him for a while

Merry Christmas to you and family  santa
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Wed Dec 21 2016, 23:01

Likewise!
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Thu Dec 22 2016, 12:26

mo1905 wrote:I recently got a Fitbit Surge and it has definitely made me more aware of my fitness/movement etc. Great piece of kit. Sorry I haven't been here for a while but I do always check in and see what's going on.
    Mo !

Hello Mo ... good to see your post.
    These 'Fitbits' and similar seem quite popular.

Sorry this year has not been a good one for you ... thinking of you and sending good wishes

All the best Jan
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Post by Eddie Thu Dec 22 2016, 14:23

Hi Mo, I too am sorry this year has dealt you a bad hand, I hope the situation is on the mend. As for " I haven't been here for a while" This only goes to prove you are a man of impeccable good taste. This joint has been going down hill from the start. It appears only reprobates and "loose cannons" frequent us and post on a regular basis. However, we do get a good amount of reads. The fight against stupidity, corruption and greed goes on.

Have a great Christmas and a healthy New Year. Good luck to you and yours

Eddie
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Thu Dec 22 2016, 21:02

Eddie wrote:It appears only reprobates and "loose cannons" frequent us and post on a regular basis.

Speak for yourself you old reprobate who is well known as being a loose cannon  Laughing
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Tue Jan 10 2017, 21:25

Exercise, is important in our lives ... a walk, a run, a swim all helps in our fitness and wellbeing! Well I think so.

Back in May 2015, I read an article that stated
    "A third of kids have never splashed in puddles and half have never had an outdoors picnic. Many children have never experienced traditional childhood activities like making daisy-chains, building sandcastles or playing in a forest.

Despite the popularity of Peppa Pig, over a third (35%) of modern children haven't splashed in puddles, while nearly half (44%) haven't stomped through squelchy mud, according to a new study of 2,000 parents commissioned by the Eco Attractions Group.

Just half of youngsters have built sandcastles at the beach, with a similar number saying they've never had a picnic outside of their own back garden. Just 44% go on bike rides with their family.

The researchers found that a whole range of simple outdoor pleasures could soon become a thing of the past as children spend their spare time playing computer games, using smartphones, watching TV or just hanging out with friends. In fact, the average child spends just under five hours a week playing outside – almost half the 11 hours a week their parents did.

With so much time spent indoors, it's no wonder that playing in forests and woodland, planting seeds and climbing trees are also among the activities a large number of today's youngsters have never tried."

You can read more here
    http://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.co.uk/2015/05/its-play-time.html

But now in 2017, I've just seen this

How do you keep fit ? Or don't you ? - Page 5 Fisher-Price-Smart-Cyle-hero

"With press coverage extolling that they can use it to "burn off the sugar", or "battle obesity" last week Fisher-Price released their so-called "Smart Cycle" geared towards kids between the ages of 3-6.

It's a stationary cycle with a built in stand for a tablet so that kids can play "learning" games while they sit in one indoor spot pedalling.

Because toddlers aren't much for active play? Because electronics need to be part of every single aspect of even the youngest child's life? Because little kids should be made to feel like they need to burn off their calories?

If you want your toddler to be more involved in active play, play with them. And if you're genuinely unable to (due to time/work/health/whatever), and you've got the money to spend on a "Smart Cycle" and a tablet, maybe invest in kids' shoes, outdoor clothes, actual bikes, jump ropes, balls, or really anything that gets them moving, having fun, improving their physical literacy, and developing their imaginations. "
    http://www.weightymatters.ca/2017/01/fisher-prices-new-kids-smart-cycle-is.html

Call me old fashioned but I'd far rather see my children, and now the grandchildren putting on their shoes and spending time out in the fresh air ... and fortunately their mums and dads think so too.

Yes gyms and indoor fitness machines have their place, but shouldn't children be encouraged to enjoy some fresh air and family time ... it may also get the parents off the sofa, and away from their smart- phones!!!

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Wed Jan 11 2017, 22:27

Saw a recent tweet

2016 - Mum the WiFi is down, we can't do anything!

1916 - let's go play with a stick

Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Thu Jan 12 2017, 22:20

chris c wrote:Saw a recent tweet

2016 - Mum the WiFi is down, we can't do anything!

1916 - let's go play with a stick

That is a great tweet
    It's so important for kids to be kids ...

Last weekend our youngest grand-daughter was out in the garden 'helping daddy' ... dressed up warm and in her boots she looked great, and came in quite some time later with rosy cheeks looking a picture of health ...just wonderful, but then I'm biased. LOL

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Fri Jan 13 2017, 20:42

Ah bless!

BTDT and we also used to have an allotment down the road where we grew our veggies. The downside was that we also had DDT, Gamma-BHC, Paraquat . . .
    Wobblycogs
    Wobblycogs

Male Posts : 98

Post by Wobblycogs Thu Apr 20 2017, 21:39

imsorry  The problem is, exercise doesn't shift weight. If anything it can make you increase weight by developing and toning up muscles. Simply because muscle, by volume,  is heavier than fat. The only way I can lose weight is to eat the right kinds of food. Which for me seems to be low carb hi-fat.

I walk every day, (Except Sundays) and I do my woodwork and gardening. (And housework of course) I am stuck with the loose skin, but I just reached a loss of 3.5 stones since Nov 2016 thumb-up
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Thu Apr 20 2017, 22:24

Wobblycogs wrote:imsorry  The problem is, exercise doesn't shift weight. If anything it can make you increase weight by developing and toning up muscles. Simply because muscle, by volume,  is heavier than fat. The only way I can lose weight is to eat the right kinds of food. Which for me seems to be low carb hi-fat.

I walk every day, (Except Sundays) and I do my woodwork and gardening. (And housework of course) I am stuck with the loose skin, but I just reached a loss of 3.5 stones since Nov 2016 thumb-up

Hi Wobbly, I agree exercise is not a good way to lose weight, that said I don't need to lose weight in fact I could do to gain a few pounds and I find that's hard to achieve on low carb high fat despite increasing calories  Sad 

I'm similar to you with exercise consists mainly of walking weather permitting, gardening especially at this time of the year and being a widower the numerous household chores  woot

Well done on the weight loss by the way  thumb-up
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Male Posts : 1646

Post by Andy12345 Fri Apr 21 2017, 05:35

Wobblycogs wrote:imsorry  The problem is, exercise doesn't shift weight. If anything it can make you increase weight by developing and toning up muscles. Simply because muscle, by volume,  is heavier than fat. The only way I can lose weight is to eat the right kinds of food. Which for me seems to be low carb hi-fat.

Definitely agree, exercise is useless without diet, they say running a marathon burns the same calories as a 3 course Chinese meal, no idea if that true but sounds right to me

Only exercise I'm doing apart from lumping granite about at work is 5+ rounds of golf a week

Awesome job on the weight loss Mr not so wobbly Smile
    Wobblycogs
    Wobblycogs

Post by Wobblycogs Fri Apr 21 2017, 09:35

Graham/Andy.

I was wondering if I might lose even more weight if I gave up eating sausages. But I am not one for serious cooking in the mornings. Sausages make a quick breakfast with tinned tomatoes or a few low salt/sugar baked beans from Asda!  

I also like chicken thighs, (IMHO the most tasty and tender part of the bird.) crisp roasted with a covering of Parmesan. I cook them in batches, have a couple with some greens, and then freeze the remainder. They too make a quick breakfast; as long as I remember to take them out of the freezer the night before. Very Happy  I blame my Navy days for my addiction to sausage and tomatoes.  

I am not a widower, but my Lady wife went into full care at Christmas, suffering from Parkinson's and dementia; needless to add, she has got much worse since being in there. but her care needs had got beyond my physical capabilities to cope. So I am also struggling to get to grips with the housework; a high-energy burn pastime for sure.

Wobbly.

thumb-up   How do you keep fit ? Or don't you ? - Page 5 280
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Male Posts : 1646

Post by Andy12345 Fri Apr 21 2017, 13:19

for me weight loss comes down to a simple fact, the less carbs i eat the more weight i lose, then it has to balanced with what we can do without carb wise, if i want to lose an extra X amount of llbs more than i want to eat a particular food, its a choice, for some people its an impossible choice, they desperately want to lose the weight and desperately want to eat a crusty roll each lunch time, so they are basically bolloxed, so for me its simple, if i choose to eat crap i am choosing to gain weight, no guilt, just a choice i made, does it take more strength to give up the spuds or more strength to accept a heart attack, i feel sorry for the folks that choose to eat well, whatever that means for them and still are fat and at higher risk of nasties

if i were eating low carb sausages, i would eat as many as i liked because they don't make me gain weight as long as I'm eating few enough carbs that my body is using the sausages as fuel, i lost 6 stone in 6 months literally eating as much as i liked, i never portion controlled, i never gave it a thought, i ate a cafe fry up almost every day, so i think as long as folks are happy eating low carb foods they can eat whatever they like, the less the carbs the more weight they lose

this however doesn't seem to work for everyone as I've read many times that folks are low carbing and not losing the weight, this seems very odd to me as it wasn't my experience at all but I've only my self experiment to go by, and as we all know "we are all different" Smile

i don't eat tomatoes very much although i do love them, they are just on my naughty list, along with baked beans, your beans say low sugar, but sugar isn't on my radar, well it is as a carb, i don't think this is full of sugar, i think this is full of carbs, sugar i think of as a carb, so i don't avoid sugar i avoid carbs, i hope that makes sense, it does in my mind

breakfast is the easiest meal of the day for me, i don't have breakfast, i have dessert, unlimited amounts of Fage full fat yogurt with a selection of fresh or frozen strawberries/blackberries/blueberries then i sprinkle over some Linwoods milled flaxseed or some nuts, i mix these up and it doesn't get boring, its basically desert, its far too good to be healthy, then if I'm playing golf i have a second breakfast when i get home of bacon and or sausages and eggs

so sorry about your wife mate Sad thats terrible for the both of you, i never lift a finger at home so if my missus goes that way i could end up living in a pig sty, I'm very lazy when i get home and am waited on hand and foot, she calls me a dinosaur, not sure why as i think it should be cave man, the way i drag her about by her hair (yeah right, she would beat the crap outta me)

sorry for rambling
    Wobblycogs
    Wobblycogs

Post by Wobblycogs Fri Apr 21 2017, 14:36

Cheers Andy.

Your experiences are what I went through when I first started low carbing. Trouble is, I hit a wall after about two stones loss, and no matter how I tried I couldn't get any further. So I cut out even more carbs, (Including the beans and sausage and tomatoes. That kick-started me, again, and I can now tolerate about one ladle of beans and a sensible dollop of tinned tomatoes; i.e. One or the other, never both together.

I wish we could still find the half tins in the supermarket. It would save me using clingfilm over half-full tins in the fridge!

Wobbly thumb-up
    Derek
    Derek

Post by Derek Fri Apr 21 2017, 19:04

I often have three eggs lightly fried in loads of olive oil. Mopped up with flaked almonds and breakfast fails to lift my BG much at all. D.
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Fri Apr 21 2017, 21:27

Great going on the weight loss but so sorry to read the news about your wife. Now they have her captive I shudder to think what they are feeding her Sad

You could look into intermittent fasting, seems to work for some weight loss stalls. I found I don't deliberately fast, I just go for long periods not needing to eat because I'm no longer hungry, but then I was always a skinny bastard - except after meeting a dietician.

I found the exercise thing worked the opposite way round too, I always used to walk a lot and do other stuff but would have to carb up every few hours to avoid collapsing.

As soon as I started eating high carb ultra low fat, just like I was told, I became semipermanently exhausted and constantly hungry.

As soon as I went LCHF the weight went away and the energy came back. Which is good, IMO exercise does next to naff all for weight loss but is good for most everything else.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28 2024, 16:36