THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

+17
Sharon
zand
Eddie
graham64
Bebo321
Scandichic
Mrs Vimes
cold ethyl
Bluetit
Xyz
Indy51
Paul1976
Loobles
Jan1
Andy12345
sanguine
mo1905
21 posters

How do you keep fit ? Or don't you ?

mo1905
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2305

How do you keep fit ? Or don't you ? Empty How do you keep fit ? Or don't you ?

Post by mo1905 Thu Aug 14 2014, 19:35

I have a Concept 2 rower at home which I use regularly. It's a fantastic, very low impact, varied workout. I have been rowing regularly for about 4 years now and have competed in the British Championships in Manchester twice ( 2 bronze medals ) and the Irish Championships in Limerick ( bronze ). The machines are not cheap but they are of professional standard. GB Rowing use them for much of their training. Here is the machine:
    How do you keep fit ? Or don't you ? Img_0911

I also held a World Record for a few years ( recently broken by USA but still hold British Record ). At a charity event in 2012, myself and a fellow rower rowed non-stop for 50hrs. It was absolute hell.

How do you keep fit ? Or don't you ? Img_0912

It took me months to get over that, not something I would recommend. So, what's your story ? Running ? Cycling ? Walking or watching TV ? Please share your stories :-)
    sanguine
    sanguine

Male Posts : 395

How do you keep fit ? Or don't you ? Empty Re: How do you keep fit ? Or don't you ?

Post by sanguine Thu Aug 14 2014, 21:39

Wow, respect for that Mo!

I also have a Concept 2 but just use it for 10 minute stints once or twice a day. I find it quite boring tbh and have to watch TV while doing it!

Mostly I like brisk walks and I'm fortunate to live in a place where there are several varied and interesting routes from the house.
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Male Posts : 1646

How do you keep fit ? Or don't you ? Empty Re: How do you keep fit ? Or don't you ?

Post by Andy12345 Thu Aug 14 2014, 21:53

i am fairly new to exercise, in fact i started on february 10th 2013 the day after diagnosis, before then apart from a physical job i avoided any and all forms of exercise, i have become a very keen runner (plodder) i have this year run (plodded) the london marathon and am currently trying cycling (easier on the joints) so if anyone has any exercise questions especially running or cycling, please ask away and ill be very happy to try and help out (with my limited experience) i think if your able exercise, it is a huge weapon in our arsenals for bg control, i also believe in doing whatever we are able, be that running across alaska to doing arm or leg lifts sitting in an armchair, its all great and all relative to our capabilities, the important thing is to push ourselves beyond our physical comfort zones, i have seen a disabled child take 10 steps with incredible and inspiring courage putting in more effort than a marathon runner, so please, do whatever you can and reep the benefits
    mo1905
    mo1905

Post by mo1905 Thu Aug 14 2014, 22:03

Andy12345 wrote:i am fairly new to exercise, in fact i started on february 10th 2013 the day after diagnosis, before then apart from a physical job i avoided any and all forms of exercise, i have become a very keen runner (plodder) i have this year run (plodded) the london marathon and am currently trying cycling (easier on the joints) so if anyone has any exercise questions especially running or cycling, please ask away and ill be very happy to try and help out (with my limited experience) i think if your able exercise, it is a huge weapon in our arsenals for bg control, i also believe in doing whatever we are able, be that running across alaska to doing arm or leg lifts sitting in an armchair, its all great and all relative to our capabilities, the important thing is to push ourselves beyond our physical comfort zones, i have seen a disabled child take 10 steps with incredible and inspiring courage putting in more effort than a marathon runner, so please, do whatever you can and reep the benefits

C'mon Andy ! You should be shouting this from the rooftops mate ! You went from self confessed couch potato to running for over 26 miles !!!! You also raised a lot of money for kids along the way !
    Totally agree though, whatever exercise it is, how little or how much, will have a positive affect on general health and BG levels.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Post by Jan1 Thu Aug 14 2014, 23:17

Whether you walk, dance, run, mountain climb, fish ....the important thing is movement.

It is all too easy moving our fingers on the keyboard - put it down, put it to one side and have a breather a walk a stretch just move ........use your feet they were just made for walking.

Seriously movement is key and hats off to all those who move for charity we have many great events near to us from runs, to midnight walks to prams through the park (the toddlers love it).

Hats off too to those with disabilities who do so much ...admiration is due.

Who says I can't do it - you can just try. Maybe not tonight but definitely tomorrow.

Let us know how you exercise, did you enjoy a walk, did you go to the gym? Perhaps you took up the 'space hopper' .....who knows. I let the grand children use the space hopper but I'm not too bad at football in the garden.

Looking forward to hearing about your exercise news.

All the best Jan

Last edited by Jan1 on Thu Aug 14 2014, 23:18; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added .....P.S. By the Way I love walking)

Post by Guest Fri Aug 15 2014, 16:18

I have come to love my walking .....I love being at one with nature I see foxes and owls and lovely wild flowers.....
    When I was not so well, I could hardly walk at all, two,years ago now ,gosh my legs just kept getting stuck ....
    Went done the neuro route ! Then it was suggested to drink tonic water ! Medical suggestion in good faith ....but now I know what the cause was..
    My legs now move pain free.....they get tired ...but that is just me ...
    So walking has become a need and a must ....can walk 3 or 5 miles at least 5 times a week .....love it ....
    I was always active ...very active very thin ...then when things went wrong, weight gain and other health issues started .....about 10 years of symptoms of diabetes getting worse , but I did not know this until two years ago...now I am more like my old self ....well not quite the same ...but I make the effort to enjoy walking ...that is what I do ....always end up sweaty though ..like to look the part like I have had a real good work out .
    I remember having a very large op ...over 10 years ago....had something the size of a football growing in my body ....it was removed leaving a horrid mess....after recovery I sat on a beach in a far away place having reflexology by a Thai master....who told me I  was diabetic ....I recall getting this checked out ...with a negative response ....guess who was right .....well now I have had a walk and a ramble .... bounce 

mo1905
    mo1905

Post by mo1905 Fri Aug 15 2014, 16:22

Kat100 wrote:I have come to love my walking .....I love being at one with nature I see foxes and owls and lovely wild flowers.....
    When I was not so well, I could hardly walk at all, two,years ago now ,gosh my legs just kept getting stuck ....
    Went done the neuro route ! Then it was suggested to drink tonic water ! Medical suggestion in good faith ....but now I know what the cause was..
    My legs now move pain free.....they get tired ...but that is just me ...
    So walking has become a need and a must ....can walk 3 or 5 miles at least 5 times a week .....love it ....
    I was always active ...very active very thin ...then when things went wrong, weight gain and other health issues started .....about 10 years of symptoms of diabetes getting worse , but I did not know this until two years ago...now I am more like my old self ....well not quite the same ...but I make the effort to enjoy walking ...that is what I do ....always end up sweaty though ..like to look the part like I have had a real good work out .
    I remember having a very large op ...over 10 years ago....had something the size of a football growing in my body ....it was removed leaving a horrid mess....after recovery I sat on a beach in a far away place having reflexology by a Thai master....who told me I  was diabetic ....I recall getting this checked out ...with a negative response ....guess who was right .....well now I have had a walk and a ramble .... bounce 

I think walking is one of the best exercises there is ! 99% are able to do it, it's free, it's useful, it's steady and you see things that you wouldn't normally notice in a car or on a bike ! What was the tonic water for and did it work ?

Post by Guest Fri Aug 15 2014, 16:26

Thanks mo, the tonic water ...for leg pain...contains quinine...
    mo1905
    mo1905

Post by mo1905 Fri Aug 15 2014, 16:27

Ah, I see. I take it with vodka on holiday for the mosquito's ! Life's a bummer eh ;-)

Post by Guest Fri Aug 15 2014, 16:30

Yes that's the drink .... sunny 

Post by Guest Fri Aug 15 2014, 16:48

mo1905 wrote:I have a Concept 2 rower at home which I use regularly. It's a fantastic, very low impact, varied workout. I have been rowing regularly for about 4 years now and have competed in the British Championships in Manchester twice ( 2 bronze medals ) and the Irish Championships in Limerick ( bronze ). The machines are not cheap but they are of professional standard. GB Rowing use them for much of their training. Here is the machine:
    How do you keep fit ? Or don't you ? Img_0911

I also held a World Record for a few years ( recently broken by USA but still hold British Record ). At a charity event in 2012, myself and a fellow rower rowed non-stop for 50hrs. It was absolute hell.

How do you keep fit ? Or don't you ? Img_0912

It took me months to get over that, not something I would recommend. So, what's your story ? Running ? Cycling ? Walking or watching TV ? Please share your stories :-)
    that is brill big congratulations
    Loobles
    Loobles

Post by Loobles Fri Aug 15 2014, 19:44

I aim to swim 5 sessions (5 hours) a week, but sometimes I'm late home from work and only manage 4 hours...it's still a big improvement on nothing and I'm sure it's helping the weightloss. I'm definitely toning up a LOT anyway. I'm planning on building in more walking eventually but at just over 20 stone I find walking leaves me in horrible muscular pain for days afterwards, such that it actually stops me exercising. Swimming is working out great for me, at least for now.

Last edited by Loobles on Fri Aug 15 2014, 20:08; edited 1 time in total
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Post by Andy12345 Fri Aug 15 2014, 19:54

swimming is awesome! Smile your doing great Smile i love to swim but suck at it, and with a wife and 2 girls i spend more time waiting for them to dry hair than actually in the pool
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Fri Aug 15 2014, 19:56

Got to agree with you Loobles swimming is a good way to exercise and you can take it at your own pace, which with any exercise is important.

I think many leisure centres have a variety of sessions available - whether you want an early morning swim (not for me) or a bit later.

We have to take account of any underlying health or fitness problems and be sensible how and what exercise we take, the important thing is exercise .....movement is good for all.

All the best Jan
    mo1905
    mo1905

Post by mo1905 Fri Aug 15 2014, 19:57

Can anyone do the butterfly ? Whenever I see it on TV, I always wish I could do it. Whenever I'm on hole or something and the pool is fairly quiet, I always try to do it. I end up looking like a large fish that has just been hooked lol !
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2439

Post by Paul1976 Fri Aug 15 2014, 20:03

mo1905 wrote:Can anyone do the butterfly ? Whenever I see it on TV, I always wish I could do it. Whenever I'm on hols or something and the pool is fairly quiet, I always try to do it. I end up looking like a large fish that has just been hooked lol !

I feel better for reading that!! Smile That's the one stroke I've watched on the TV since being a kid too and tried to copy and end up sinking like a brick-can't even do a 25m length Butterfly! lol Backstroke and the front crawl are my thing TBH. Smile
    Loobles
    Loobles

Post by Loobles Fri Aug 15 2014, 20:09

mo1905 wrote:Can anyone do the butterfly ? Whenever I see it on TV, I always wish I could do it. Whenever I'm on hole or something and the pool is fairly quiet, I always try to do it. I end up looking like a large fish that has just been hooked lol !
    I used to be able to when I was younger - nowadays my attempts would look more like an injured fish LOL
    sanguine
    sanguine

Post by sanguine Fri Aug 15 2014, 23:21

I know it's good for you but I so hate swimming! I was never good at it, and have always felt I'm too dense (shut up) because where most can float happily on the surface I just sink.
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Post by Andy12345 Fri Aug 15 2014, 23:23

lmao! your too dense to float? thats funny, i woke the missus up from the sofa when i read that
    mo1905
    mo1905

Post by mo1905 Fri Aug 15 2014, 23:26

sanguine wrote:I know it's good for you but I so hate swimming!  I was never good at it, and have always felt I'm too dense (shut up) because where most can float happily on the surface I just sink.

If we had a "like" button, I would like this :-)
    Indy51
    Indy51

Female Posts : 344

Post by Indy51 Sat Aug 16 2014, 05:23

Walking mostly for me. I try to add various other things from time to time, but walking is the only exercise I seem to manage consistency with. I think a lot of the appeal is just being outdoors in the fresh air and observing nature. We have some nesting ospreys and I find them (and the other bird life and kangaroos) endlessly fascinating.
    sanguine
    sanguine

Post by sanguine Sat Aug 16 2014, 13:31

Andy12345 wrote:lmao! your too dense to float? thats funny, i woke the missus up from the sofa when i read that

Thinking about it I suppose it's because I was so small as a kid I was all bone and muscle with no fat for buoyancy. I envied others who could float or tread water without effort, I had to fight to stop drowning, or so it seemed. I would probably be OK now but the psychological damage is done!
    Xyz

Female Posts : 66

Post by Xyz Sat Aug 16 2014, 14:27

Last edited by Xyz on Thu May 21 2015, 23:00; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : No longer want a presence on this forum)
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Sat Aug 16 2014, 16:00

Great to read peoples posts on how they keep fit.

Walking does seem quite popular, which is great.

Have any of you tried the many 'Healthy Walking Groups' that some local councils run?. I believe most have various levels within the groups depending on how far you want to or are able to walk.

Happy Walking

All the best Jan
    Bluetit

Post by Bluetit Sat Aug 16 2014, 16:14

Butterfly used to be my speciality when I was swimming competitively in my teens. All I can say is, it gave me very broad shoulders that have never gone down!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28 2024, 15:25