THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

+11
Wobblycogs
RANDBURG
Sharon
graham64
cold ethyl
Eddie
mo1905
Paul1976
Sarah
Andy12345
zand
15 posters

The Autumn Leaves .....

zand
    zand

Female Posts : 1940

The Autumn Leaves ..... - Page 2 Empty Re: The Autumn Leaves .....

Post by zand Tue Oct 21 2014, 17:16

My day has been very good, thanks Jan. I spent a lot of time this morning watching the leaves fall whilst I was waiting in a queue on the phone. You're right there are some really interesting patterns. I don't worry about the mess they make on the patio either....sweeping it is hubby's job Smile
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Post by Jan1 Tue Oct 21 2014, 17:41

zand wrote:My day has been very good, thanks Jan.  I spent a lot of time this morning watching the leaves fall whilst I was waiting in a queue on the phone.  You're right there are some really interesting patterns.  I don't worry about the mess they make on the patio either....sweeping it is hubby's job Smile

Glad your day went well.

There is nothing more annoying then hanging on  ...the phone, whilst having music played in your ear ...so pleased the Autumn Leaves took your mind off it.

Very sensible to let hubby clear the leaves up. lol!

Just a thought - perhaps Mo needs to watch the Autumn Leaves whilst waiting for his licence renewal to be sorted at DVLA - just a thought!

All the best Jan
    Sharon

Post by Sharon Tue Oct 21 2014, 18:40

loads of leaves down today. looks a mess . husband to clear up at weekend I think. I hate wind makes animals funny sort of spooks them.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Wed Oct 22 2014, 08:54

Sharon wrote:........  I hate wind makes animals funny sort of spooks them.

Funny you should say that, I think wind can spook animals they are extra sensitive with hearing etc.

I've even heard teachers and parents say children's "attitudes and behaviour" can change in more windy conditions. I have seen children running wildly around chasing the falling leaves, does that count !

Any way a bit calmer today and the sun is shining....... thank goodness sunny

Have a good day everyone

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Fri Nov 21 2014, 16:58

Out and about today - there were loads of Autumn Leaves down on the paths, pavements, garden...... everywhere. One of my sons was also complaining that it can get pretty slippery when you are out cycling on very often wet / damp leaves.

So yes, they can look nice but can also be a curse. Looking at the weekends weather don't think it will be possible to get any cleared up ....rain heading our way apparently and then snow is possible for next week Shocked

Have you any outdoor hobbies / pursuits / walks planned this weekend?

All the best Jan
    zand
    zand

Female Posts : 1940

Post by zand Fri Nov 21 2014, 17:02

I think the only thing I will be doing outdoors this weekend is watching my son play football.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Fri Nov 21 2014, 17:42

zand wrote:I think the only thing I will be doing outdoors this weekend is watching my son play football.

Sounds good to me - hope his team win Smile

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Thu Sep 17 2015, 11:48

The Autumn Leaves ..... - Page 2 Autumn-Leaves-on-the-Street

And the Autumn Leaves Start To Fall ...

One of our neighbours was out early with one of those slightly noisy blowers ... clearing his leaves. Always a big task this time of year.
    But the colours of the trees are so lovely.
    Makes you want to get out and have a walk!

... you can always tuck into a low carb casserole on your return!

The Autumn Leaves ..... - Page 2 Recipe-image-legacy-id--890477_11

Recipe here

http://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/an-old-fashioned-beef-and-vegetable.html

Happy Thursday Wishes sunny

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Wed Sep 30 2015, 18:50

Still not many autumn leaves here but loads of berries. A few of the first trees are starting to colour up though, including my virginia creeper
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Wed Sep 30 2015, 18:54

I've just posted this on the Have a Chat - September thread ...

Can you believe this is the last day of September 2015! The year seems to have gone even quicker than usual. I couldn't help noticing the amount of leaves that had blown down today ... there was definitely more of a breeze than past days.

There is nothing better than 'joyfully kicking' a pile of leaves ... unless you are the person that has just raked them up into a nice pile!

Hope you've enjoyed this last day of September ...   sunny

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Wed Sep 30 2015, 18:55

chris c wrote:Still not many autumn leaves here but loads of berries. A few of the first trees are starting to colour up though, including my virginia creeper

I love the flame colour of Virginia Creepers this time of year ...

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Wed Sep 30 2015, 19:04

Jan1 wrote:
    There is nothing better than 'joyfully kicking' a pile of leaves ... unless you are the person that has just raked them up into a nice pile!
    Allegedly I used to stomp on them and say "tush!"

"I love the flame colour of Virginia Creepers this time of year ..."

Still only ruby red, but it's finally reaching the season where it pays for itself.
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Fri Oct 02 2015, 19:13

And improving daily, now it's starting to glow a bit. Some of the maples in the street are colouring up and I picked up a few brown leaves in the front garden while harvesting my compost. Masses of rowan berries and rose hips are the major colour themes at the moment.
    graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Post by graham64 Fri Oct 02 2015, 22:32

Did the final cut of the lawns yesterday had to set the mower blades it bit higher than I would have liked as the grass was still wet from the morning dew, mower now cleaned off and stowed away these days I don't have to drain the petrol off thanks to unleaded.

What I really need is to get the oak trees lopped, at this time of the year with the sun so low they are blocking the sunlight from my patio but cost is an issue as the small wooded area I own at the back of my place has a steep gradient making it hard to access for tree surgeons that adds to costs.
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Sat Oct 03 2015, 18:25

Final cut??? The way stuff is growing here I'll probably still be mowing the lawn at Christmas.
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Sun Oct 04 2015, 00:03

chris c wrote:Final cut??? The way stuff is growing here I'll probably still be mowing the lawn at Christmas.

Yes but you live in warmer climes than us up here in Gideons Northern Poorhouse brrr
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Mon Oct 05 2015, 23:27

I cut it again when I'd finished the last tranche of weeding and shredding. I confidently expect to have to do it again when this rain stops.

Speaking of rain, how's your water?

I used to know someone who did tree surgery the old fashioned way, using ropes and hand tools. He stopped because his insurance premiums went through the roof, plus he was in his seventies. Someone like that if you could find one would be ideal, wouldn't need flat ground to erect scaffolding towers or use a cherry picker.
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Mon Oct 05 2015, 23:43

chris c wrote:I cut it again when I'd finished the last tranche of weeding and shredding. I confidently expect to have to do it again when this rain stops.

Speaking of rain, how's your water?

I used to know someone who did tree surgery the old fashioned way, using ropes and hand tools. He stopped because his insurance premiums went through the roof, plus he was in his seventies. Someone like that if you could find one would be ideal, wouldn't need flat ground to erect scaffolding towers or use a cherry picker.

Waters OK now got a cheque for £55 as compensation

When we first move in this place many years ago there was bloke who did it for free he just wanted the wood, he did take a couple of trees down for me using ropes and hand tools like your guy, but doubt he had insurance I don't think he was even a tree surgeon.
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Mon Oct 05 2015, 23:57

Didn't come from Edinburgh did he?

We've got some half decent tree surgeons but they charge you for the job, take away the wood "for free" and of course flog off what doesn't go through the chipper. My trees are too small to need any special techniques, a friend does them with a colleague and a chainsaw. His main business is fencing but he turns his hand to a lot of other jobs too. His insurance covers him for everything AFAIK, it's probably illegal not to have it nowadays. It's almost illegal to use ladders too. Yet it's perfectly legal to prescribe diets and drugs that kill people.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Tue Oct 06 2015, 23:10

Good to learn you got compensation through for your water Graham, your area was without drinking water for quite a time ...

Of course with the weather some areas have been having of late it's been water water everywhere!

But I digress ... on with the Autumn leaves that are beginning to fall quite alarmingly.

What I would like to know is why are these wind type machines used by so many to clear the leaves so noisy? The afternoons peace and quiet (I was actually sitting reading a book and not a blog or Forum) was disturbed by the noise!!!

Can some makes have a silencer fitted I wonder Question

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Wed Oct 07 2015, 19:12

Most of our local trees are oaks and are remaining obstinately green, but I have seen some maples and an ash starting to colour up. Finally the virginia creeper is doing it's stuff, and the dogwood with golden stems which look like a firework all winter is going lime green and lemon. Next door's pear tree has so many pears it's a wonder the stems aren't snapping off. Mainly the autumn colour here is still berries though.

There's been a resurgence of roses, my Alexander (flame red) outside the kitchen window flowered in a rush and had a prolonged lie down before bursting back into flower. Same for the pink rose with lovely dark green foliage which came with the house so I don't know its name. I cut it back to stumps last winter and now it's 12 feet high again and most of the flowers are hanging over the neighbour's fence. Even the climbing Iceberg which is usually an enthusiastic but scruffy flowerer went quiet but is now punching through the creeper, and some honeysuckles are having a second flowering. My dahlias, mainly Bishop of Llandaff with the scarlet flowers and black foliage, and an offspring with orange flowers and the same very dark foliage, and a bunch of cyclamen - my father was a founder member of the Cyclamen Society, and grew just about every species and cultivar known to science, some of which he collected from the wild - we brought some with us and then found there were a whole bunch in the garden anyway, both pink and white - are bursting into flower along with the first autumn crocus.
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Post by Eddie Wed Oct 07 2015, 19:46

Great post Chris I feel like I have spent the afternoon in your garden. We had some great gardens over the years, now we live in a shoe box flat sadly gone. We do look out over trees from our lounge window a pick taken with a long lens.

The Autumn Leaves ..... - Page 2 Getting+ready+for+winter.
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Wed Oct 07 2015, 20:09

One of them wouldn't last very long here, a neighbour is a pest controller. If Mr Rat doesn't go back into the field now the machines have stopped I'll invite him round. They're OK if you have nothing else I suppose but I still remember seeing some of the last red squirrels in the New Forest when I was little. I believe they're still on the Isle of Wight and Brownsea Island, otherwise I've only seen them in Scotland.

My father was a brilliant gardener, though his favourite plants were alpines, especially the ones which required exquisite care and then expired anyway. Mother was enthusiastic but Not Very Good, except for her legendary runner beans. I like things that grow themselves with minimal interference, which are mostly weeds but I call the pretty ones "wildflowers" and the rest "raw compost".

Still it's been a strange year, even some usually competent gardeners have been foiled by the weather coming in the wrong order. Last year I had a Cosmos the size of a christmas tree which was still flowering into January, this year they have either remained about 6 inches high or died, except for one which was totally the wrong colour for where I'd put it. They're almost impossible not to grow.

Mostly everything from the spring bulbs up to the roses went well, then it all went downhill.

Try buying a bunch of bulbs and put them in some windowboxes?
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Thu Oct 08 2015, 17:52

Memories, memories ...

Out this afternoon, and there was a lot of this going on with the school children!
    Picking up conkers.

The Autumn Leaves ..... - Page 2 135703773

Do you remember when ...

The Autumn Leaves ..... - Page 2 87352

All the best Jan

(images courtesy of google)
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Thu Oct 08 2015, 19:54

The creeper is now glowing so much you could warm your hands from it! Ideal after a game of conkers - which some schools have made illegal.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content