THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

+5
Paul1976
mo1905
Eddie
Andy12345
graham64
9 posters

Spring Is On The Way

Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Spring Is On The Way - Page 6 Empty Re: Spring Is On The Way

Post by Eddie Wed Apr 19 2017, 17:22

chris c wrote:At least these are in their eighties or more, so not unexpected. One just hopes they go quick at the end, an NHS death is NOT something to look forward to.

Yes I lost a whole bunch of them around the time my mother died, 2009 - 2011. Not a few had outlived their husbands but died soon after their dogs. This is the kind of place where once you arrive you never leave except in a pine box, over the years I've kind of gotten used to losing people on a regular basis.

"This is the kind of place where once you arrive you never leave except in a pine box"

When we lived in Barton On Sea the place was known as Gods Waiting Room. The good thing was, when reading the local obituary's the average age at death was often in the eighties. I knew a few old people and a few were type two diabetics, still doing their own gardening and highly active. Some had been diabetics for over 20 years, no complications and ALL low carbers. This was the standard method of control years ago, before the junk flogging dietitians and big pharma had a bag full of virtually useless drugs to flog. The way to control type two diabetes was well known over one hundred years ago.

Check out the excellent free to read book on the correct diet for diabetics. Diabetic Cookery Recipes And Menus by Rebecca W Oppenheimer printed 1917 I have left the book open at page 12, check out the foods to stay well clear of.

http://archive.org/stream/diabeticcookeryr00oppeiala#page/12/mode/2up
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Fri Apr 21 2017, 22:45

Yes quite, and in the local churchyards there are plenty of octagenarians or more dating back a century or two. I suspect this will NOT be the case so much in the future.
    graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Post by graham64 Mon Apr 24 2017, 22:15

Managed to get the grass cut before the onset of winter  brrr not looking good for the next few days just hope the frost doesn't get the hydrangea which is full of buds  Sad
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Tue Apr 25 2017, 00:49

Yeah it actually rained here today, first time in ages, and forecast to get rapidly worse.

Baby Blackbirds turned out last week. Really I should have got the hose out already, quite astonishing. DON'T MENTION THE LAWN DAMMIT!
    Derek
    Derek

Post by Derek Tue Apr 25 2017, 07:43

chris c wrote:Yeah it actually rained here today, first time in ages, and forecast to get rapidly worse.

Baby Blackbirds turned out last week. Really I should have got the hose out already, quite astonishing. DON'T MENTION THE LAWN DAMMIT!
    Have had to employ the services of a gardner for first time this spring so I won't have the chore of cutting the grass this year. Would hate to move onto an estate with a postage stamp sized garden. D.
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Tue Apr 25 2017, 22:07

Derek wrote:
    chris c wrote:Yeah it actually rained here today, first time in ages, and forecast to get rapidly worse.

Have had to employ the services of a gardner for first time this spring so I won't have the chore of cutting the grass this year. Would hate to move onto an estate with a postage stamp sized garden. D.

If needs must I would do the same and and employ a gardener, some friends have said I should think about downsizing but I love were I live and have no intention of moving out
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Post by Jan1 Wed Apr 26 2017, 11:40

We actually had several heavy April showers yesterday and a chilly night ...
    The heating is on affraid

With another Bank Holiday Weekend looming I do hope the weather will be kind to all those looking forward to a three day weekend ... and perhaps some lawn mowing!!!

We will not be travelling far.

All the best Jan
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Wed Apr 26 2017, 21:52

Jan1 wrote:We actually had several heavy April showers yesterday and a chilly night ...
    The heating is on affraid

With another Bank Holiday Weekend looming I do hope the weather will be kind to all those looking forward to a three day weekend ... and perhaps some lawn mowing!!!

We will not be travelling far.

All the best Jan

We've had wintry showers too and quite hard frosts, in the upside it's supposed to be getting warmer by the weekend  Cool
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Thu Apr 27 2017, 01:34

Snow was reported to the north and the south yesterday but all I got was some very cold rain, and more plus some hail today. I did the shops and the farm shop and walked briefly on the estuary and rather wished I hadn't, it was that cold.

Looks like I've blown the garden completely, I was going to get a friend in to do some major tidying up and strim the lawn and ditch but he is far too busy, and contemplating retiring soon anyway.

The guy he recommended, and a couple of others, are also inundated with work. If I was younger I'd seriously contemplate retraining. As with the farmers, as the old guard retire there's a lack of youngsters to take their place.
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Thu Apr 27 2017, 15:04

chris c wrote:Snow was reported to the north and the south yesterday but all I got was some very cold rain, and more plus some hail today. I did the shops and the farm shop and walked briefly on the estuary and rather wished I hadn't, it was that cold.

Looks like I've blown the garden completely, I was going to get a friend in to do some major tidying up and strim the lawn and ditch but he is far too busy, and contemplating retiring soon anyway.

The guy he recommended, and a couple of others, are also inundated with work. If I was younger I'd seriously contemplate retraining. As with the farmers, as the old guard retire there's a lack of youngsters to take their place.

"I was going to get a friend in to do some major tidying up and strim the lawn and ditch but he is far too busy, and contemplating retiring soon anyway"

That's the trouble these days Chris, ya can't get the staff. Life was so much easier years ago for the landed gentry like us. We downsized to 40,000 acres years ago. mrgreen
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Thu Apr 27 2017, 22:31

chris c wrote:Snow was reported to the north and the south yesterday but all I got was some very cold rain, and more plus some hail today. I did the shops and the farm shop and walked briefly on the estuary and rather wished I hadn't, it was that cold.

Yes when I first moved here we had a local handyman who could turn his hand to any job and at good price too sadly he passed away, though there are a few locals who do a decent job they can't compare with him
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Thu Apr 27 2017, 23:09

We used to have several who have either died or retired. In those days I did my own stuff. Now, not so much. Oh well, I'm retired and will be dead soon too so I suppose I could just leave things be and let someone else sort it out when they buy the house. If they can find anyone to do it or are young and fit enough with enough time.
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Fri Apr 28 2017, 22:30

chris c wrote:We used to have several who have either died or retired. In those days I did my own stuff. Now, not so much. Oh well, I'm retired and will be dead soon too so I suppose I could just leave things be and let someone else sort it out when they buy the house. If they can find anyone to do it or are young and fit enough with enough time.

Yes as we age it does get harder to complete jobs that would have been easy when younger, I've come to accept that as I get older some jobs will need outside assistance  Sad
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Sat Apr 29 2017, 23:15

I realised there's a meta-problem. As the previous gardeners and handymen retire they subsequently move from being suppliers to being consumers of the services themselves, thus placing even more demand on the few that are left.

Next time someone posts a business card or leaflet through the door I'll be onto them before they also get overworked. I just prefer to go by personal recommendation, even here there are cowboys around.
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Sun Apr 30 2017, 21:41

chris c wrote:I realised there's a meta-problem. As the previous gardeners and handymen retire they subsequently move from being suppliers to being consumers of the services themselves, thus placing even more demand on the few that are left.

Next time someone posts a business card or leaflet through the door I'll be onto them before they also get overworked. I just prefer to go by personal recommendation, even here there are cowboys around.

I prefer local tradesmen were possible at least you know were they live Laughing , the plumber I and other family members have used for years had to retire due to ill health, I've now got a replacement who only lives round the corner from me the only problem is he's very busy and it's easy to see why as he only charged thirty quid to fit my new shower
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Mon May 01 2017, 19:34

Oh yes plumbers are very much divided into two categories, the expensive ones who do a good job but are booked up weeks in advance and the cheap crap ones who are available. Others do exist but are rare.
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Mon May 01 2017, 21:19

chris c wrote:Oh yes plumbers are very much divided into two categories, the expensive ones who do a good job but are booked up weeks in advance and the cheap crap ones who are available. Others do exist but are rare.

Expensive plumbers round here are easy to get hold of it's those who charge reasonable rates that are hard to come by  Sad
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Tue May 02 2017, 14:38

graham64 wrote:
    chris c wrote:Oh yes plumbers are very much divided into two categories, the expensive ones who do a good job but are booked up weeks in advance and the cheap crap ones who are available. Others do exist but are rare.

Expensive plumbers round here are easy to get hold of it's those who charge reasonable rates that are hard to come by  Sad

No problem with getting a good plumber round my way, loads of 'em about at £150 an hour. affraid
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Wed May 03 2017, 13:10

Spring Is On The Way - Page 6 Mayflowers

Couldn't resist these Spring-time May flowers
    http://www.homeflowergarden.co.uk/tag/may-flowers/

All the best Jan
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Wed May 03 2017, 22:05

For once the north west has been enjoying the best of the weather  sunny the past three days have been glorious  would have gone for a few walks but catching up with the gardening put paid to that  Sad
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Thu May 04 2017, 00:35

My Clematis Montanas are covered in flowers. If you look very hard you can see the first rose out. Poor thing barely finished flowering by Christmas and it's started again already.
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Sat May 06 2017, 23:38

Lots of petals from the cherries blowing about, looks like confetti from a wedding. Maybe this one

Think I'll get a neighbour in to do the lawn

http://landmaschinen.krone.de/english/products/disc-mowers/easycut-b-mower-combinations/
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Tue May 09 2017, 00:34

Some of mother's Old Wives Tales which have a ring of truth to them

"Ne'er cast a clout 'til May be out" usually followed by a discussion as to whether it meant the month or the mayflower - hawthorn blossoms.

"Blackthorn winter" - a cold snap usually while the blackthorn was in flower, only this year the blackthorn was over before the temperature dropped.

Some of her other stuff was less grounded in reality, like spitting when she saw a magpie or holding her collar when she saw an ambulance, or avoiding seeing the new moon through glass to avoid a month of bad luck.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Tue May 09 2017, 14:49

Many thanks for the music video ... a couple of posts up.

"Ne'er cast a clout 'til May be out" was a great favourite of my dear Mums ... and she never casted a clout until the end of May, to this day the family still use and repeat this saying Smile

Out yesterday and I wished I'd put a thicker coat on - it certainly didn't feel like Spring.
    It is still quite grey here but perhaps tomorrow, we may see some sunshine.

However, I feel the rain may be welcome by some, we don't seem to have had a lot of it .
    Summer drought may be the next thing ... oh, aren't I cheerful lol!

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Wed May 10 2017, 14:39

As Fred Flintstone may say

Spring Is On The Way - Page 6 3

We have some sunshine today  cheers

How about you?

All the best Jan

Sponsored content