THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

+2
Paul1976
Jan1
6 posters

What's in your food cupboard?

Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

What's in your food cupboard? Empty What's in your food cupboard?

Post by Jan1 Tue Sep 02 2014, 13:41

Growing up we had a large walk in larder cupboard, which my mum kept full of great food. Fresh vegetables near the bottom, eggs always to hand around the middle shelf. Packets of tea ....leaves in those days were kept in a food cupboard along with salt, pepper and other dried stuff. Yes, there was a lot more too but I'm not going to list everything.

Opening our food cupboard this morning - staring at me were eggs, extra virgin olive oil, maldon sea salt (we love it), black pepper,golden linseed, plus more .....AND also the must have's to start the day, tea bags (for me) and coffee (for Eddie).

Items 'missing' were cereals, white flour, sugar, processed foods and certain other more carb loaded items.

So what's in your food cupboard. Feel free to list as much or little as you wish. Perhaps your top five items?

Over to you ..... flower

All the best Jan
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2439

What's in your food cupboard? Empty Re: What's in your food cupboard?

Post by Paul1976 Tue Sep 02 2014, 14:03

In mine it's mostly made up of dried herbs and spices, Sea salt and black peppercorn grinders,a BIG bottle of Worcester sauce(I love a dash of that in any Tomato dishes),Tabasco sauce,flaked toasted almonds that I love in a creamy curry or on top of a lamb chop which is then browned under the grill,coconut oil,virgin and extra virgin olive oil,My Earl grey tea that I like(Everyone else in the house hates it),my Millicano coffee tin,macadamia nuts that I snack on,A jar of greek style black olives that I munch on and some old lasagna sheets that have gone out of date and need to chuck in the bin! Smile
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Tue Sep 02 2014, 14:06

paul1976 wrote:In mine it's mostly made up of dried herbs and spices, Sea salt and black peppercorn grinders,a BIG bottle of Worcester sauce(I love a dash of that in any Tomato dishes),Tabasco sauce,flaked toasted almonds that I love in a creamy curry or on top of a lamb chop which is then browned under the grill,coconut oil,virgin and extra virgin olive oil,My Earl grey tea that I like(Everyone else in the house hates it),my Millicano coffee tin,macadamia nuts that I snack on,A jar of greek style black olives that I munch on and some old lasagna sheets that have gone out of date and need to chuck in the bin! Smile

Yes - definitely chuck out those old lasagne sheets sunny

All the best Jan
    horfilmania
    horfilmania

Female Posts : 68

Post by horfilmania Tue Sep 02 2014, 17:51

Spices of all sorts, herbal teas, a bottle of brandy, tins of herrings and tuna, expresso coffee, walnuts, coconut oil, tinned coconut milk, onions and not much else. Low-carbing is about eating real food so anything edible is in the refrigerator either fresh or frozen.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Tue Sep 02 2014, 18:09

horfilmania wrote:Spices of all sorts, herbal teas, a bottle of brandy, tins of herrings and tuna, expresso coffee, walnuts, coconut oil, tinned coconut milk, onions and not much else. Low-carbing is about eating real food so anything edible is in the refrigerator either fresh or frozen.

Hi Horf

I do agree  low carbing is about eating real food ... and spices add that extra zing.

As for the bottle of brandy ....a sip or two to be enjoyed after a great low carb meal sunny

All the best Jan
    horfilmania
    horfilmania

Female Posts : 68

Post by horfilmania Tue Sep 02 2014, 18:21

Jan, I only like a teaspoon of brandy once in a while in my tea. The bottle I have has made a home in my cupboard for 4 years lol and it's still got about 1/4 to go so good for another year.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Tue Sep 02 2014, 18:57

horfilmania wrote:Jan, I only like a teaspoon of brandy once in a while in my tea. The bottle I have has made a home in my cupboard for 4 years lol and it's still got about 1/4 to go so good for another year.

My mum and dad always had brandy or whisky in the house for medicinal purposes ...the laugh is my mum didn't drink and my dad didn't like brandy (work that out) ....but a brandy with coffee especially a VSOP tastes good, or so I'm told Smile

All the best Jan
    mo1905
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2305

Post by mo1905 Tue Sep 02 2014, 19:49

My food cupboard is dynamic, it changes daily. There are a few items that are always there though. Baked beans, tins of tuna, sweet chilli sauce, peanut butter and peanuts.
    cold ethyl

Post by cold ethyl Tue Sep 02 2014, 21:04

Aside from mr Ethyl's carb horde, I always have tinned tomatoes, passata, cyder vinegar, tinned pulses, tuna and hot pepper sauce in my pantry.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Mon Sep 22 2014, 15:01

......'When she got there the cupboard was bare!'

Well not quite but it does need refilling.

Some herbs, black pepper, tin(s) of tomatoes, nuts for starters.

How about you have you spotted any bargains recently?

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Tue Oct 14 2014, 23:53

Don't know about you but there are always nuts in our house ..... with Eddie being the biggest lol!  Oops sorry did I really say that!   Shocked

Nuts are so handy ..... to just have a handful to nibble, or include as part of lunch etc, as long as you have no allergy of course.

Anyway for a change I bought some hazelnuts, favourite buys are usually almonds and walnuts.

Why not go nuts tomorrow and buy some - does anyone know of any bargain buys ?

All the best Jan
    Mud Island Dweller
    Mud Island Dweller

Female Posts : 228

Post by Mud Island Dweller Wed Oct 15 2014, 14:06

How would l know food cupboards are a mystery to me hub is in charge of that....
    At work fridge has celery cherry tomatos mixed veg thin pepporami pork steak bacon eggs flax an chia seed and extra virgin olive oil oh mixed berries single cream
    Handbag has a jar mellow birds coffee
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Wed Oct 15 2014, 17:44

Mud Island Dweller wrote:How would l know food cupboards are a mystery to me hub is in charge of that....
    At work fridge has celery cherry tomatos mixed veg thin pepporami pork steak bacon eggs flax an chia seed and extra virgin olive oil oh mixed berries single cream
    Handbag has a jar mellow birds coffee

Ah Ah I think food cupboards need a good sorting out sometimes as things have a habit of getting pushed to the back !

Love the sound of your work fridge contents though  Smile

Mellow Birds Coffee was the first instant coffee I enjoyed not being a coffee drinker it suited me but caused a lot of comment from coffee lovers in the family "it's not the real coffee taste" I was told.

I find some coffee is quite expensive -

Has anyone got any other coffee favourites ?

All the best Jan
    Mud Island Dweller
    Mud Island Dweller

Female Posts : 228

Post by Mud Island Dweller Wed Oct 15 2014, 20:00

Jan not with me yes they probably do need a sort but my Andy is in charge of home food as l am a non cook.
    After 3 or 4 months of cooking my own dinner at work (l work away) being broccoli/cauli and boil in the bag fish (all done in the microwave) l went nuts Thursday last week and couldnt face another boil in the bag fish so bought in the pork. Tomorrow though am on lates so will be bacon and egg when l get home around 21:15.

Normal coffee eg nescafe l get 5 coffees out of one teaspoon of coffee so mellow birds suits me Laughing although l like a cappuccino when out and ask them to make it as weak as possible 0.5 of a whatever or less.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19 2024, 15:30