THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

+2
Paul1976
Eddie
6 posters

A happy story from the flog.

Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

A happy story from the flog. Empty A happy story from the flog.

Post by Eddie Sat Apr 11 2015, 09:40

"I was diagnosed type 2 on christmas eve with a HbA1c of 64
    Luckily I was pointed in the direction of this site and after a lot of reading decided to give the low carb a go. It was like a few people had said tough for the first few weeks but I am glad I managed to stick it out.
    Since christmas i have managed to get my weight down from 14st 4 to 12st 6 and more importantly my HbA1c down to 43.
    This has been achieved by just cutting the carbs down doing a bit more walking and no medication. My dogs look fitter too.
    So it goes to prove that low carb is definitely worth the effort."

Link to post here http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/low-carb-seems-to-have-done-the-trick.75179/

As almost always, it's our old friend low carb that brings success. For seven years at the flog the good news re. low carb never stops, and yet again no meds required to tame the betus. It was ever thus and will always be thus.
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2439

A happy story from the flog. Empty Re: A happy story from the flog.

Post by Paul1976 Sat Apr 11 2015, 12:04

Just the kind of story I like to read!! mrgreen Well done that man!!!! I just hope they don't start moderating stories like this one over there in the future,I mean,that goes against some of the mods ethos,a man who gained control from learning a low carb diet from folks on the internet and quite rightly didn't follow his HCP's dietary advice(Sorry noblehead but "Always run things by with an HCP first" aint gonna hack it!) plus this man is now and quite rightly,banging the low carb drum,a sure fire way to upset Sid and get Anna jumping up and down about an "Us and them mentality"...Sounds over the top? maybe but with the increase in editing material over there now,nothing would surprise me!
    merrylizard1314
    merrylizard1314

Female Posts : 90

Post by merrylizard1314 Sun Aug 16 2015, 08:43

Well done,Eddie, that is a good result so far, especially getting your HbA1c down in really such a short time.
    Although I completed the Newcastle Diet/ protocol, And had very good results, with non diabetic HbA1c 35, I still don't really understand why it works - there is the calorific restriction, yes, but the carbohydrates are proportionally high on the optifast regime. Since the middle of June, my dietary regime is low carb and I have also taken part in 2 Fat Fasts, which were great fun, as I struggled to maintain good ketosis of 2-2.5, while trying not to lose much weight. I exercise by walking, swimming and rowing. I do not have a dog at present, which is a sadness, but I often borrow a dog, for walks- so companionable!
    The only medication I have, is for high blood pressure, which has only been ameliorated slightly, by diet and exercise. I see this as the next great challenge.
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Sun Aug 16 2015, 11:49

merrylizard1314 wrote:Well done,Eddie, that is a good result so far, especially getting your HbA1c down in really such a short time.
    Although I completed the Newcastle Diet/ protocol, And had very good results, with non diabetic HbA1c 35, I still don't really understand why it works - there is the calorific restriction, yes,  but the carbohydrates are proportionally high on the optifast regime. Since the middle of June, my dietary regime is low carb and I have also taken part in 2 Fat Fasts, which were great fun, as I struggled to maintain good ketosis of 2-2.5, while trying not to lose much weight. I exercise by walking, swimming and rowing. I do not have a dog at present, which is a sadness, but I often borrow a dog, for walks- so companionable!
    The only medication I have, is for high blood pressure, which has only been ameliorated slightly, by diet and exercise. I see this as the next great challenge.

Hi Merrylizard, is it me or it it you, I had a hell of night on the booze last night, I am the sort that gets lowcarber's a bad name rofl Seriously that post was a good news story I nicked from the flog. It's not about me, is it about you ?  wtf Give me an hour or two and half a dozen cups of coffee mrgreen  and I'll get back to you.
    merrylizard1314
    merrylizard1314

Post by merrylizard1314 Sun Aug 16 2015, 16:04

Sorry, I believe I may have inadvertently posted a paragraph 3 "inconsequential anecdote" out of context. Please forgive.
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Sun Aug 16 2015, 16:12

merrylizard1314 wrote:Well done,Eddie, that is a good result so far, especially getting your HbA1c down in really such a short time.
    Although I completed the Newcastle Diet/ protocol, And had very good results, with non diabetic HbA1c 35, I still don't really understand why it works - there is the calorific restriction, yes,  but the carbohydrates are proportionally high on the optifast regime. Since the middle of June, my dietary regime is low carb and I have also taken part in 2 Fat Fasts, which were great fun, as I struggled to maintain good ketosis of 2-2.5, while trying not to lose much weight. I exercise by walking, swimming and rowing. I do not have a dog at present, which is a sadness, but I often borrow a dog, for walks- so companionable!

"Sorry, I believe I may have inadvertently posted a paragraph 3 "inconsequential anecdote" out of context. Please forgive."

Not at all, I misunderstood your post, my bad. It's not you that was wrong, ask anyone here, I'm batshit half the time and that's on a good day.

Sorry.
    merrylizard1314
    merrylizard1314

Post by merrylizard1314 Sun Aug 16 2015, 16:25

OK, we're straight now. It will be dangerous but fun, picking my way gingerly through the minefield of satire and irony that is this forum.
    Glad to be aboard.
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2439

Post by Paul1976 Sun Aug 16 2015, 16:31

Glad to have you aboard too Merrylizard! Smile
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Sun Aug 16 2015, 16:37

merrylizard1314 wrote:OK, we're straight now. It will be dangerous but fun, picking my way gingerly through the minefield of satire and irony that is this forum.
    Glad to be aboard.

Well, you did say "A glass of Cabernet Merlot for me, thanks, and a bit of banter on the side!" Maybe some of us go over the top at times, especially me in the banter department. That is not to say I do not take diabetes and spreading the low carb word very seriously.

I am not really a forum sort of person, I find it difficult to communicate in writing. Much easier when in a face to face situation, you can tell what people really mean, from facial expressions and body language.
    merrylizard1314
    merrylizard1314

Post by merrylizard1314 Sun Aug 16 2015, 16:52

Thank you @paul1976. So far, I have gone into a deserted Thommo's bar and ordered a glass of red, thinking that my friends were in there, but no, only dust and cobwebs! Then I fell straight into one of Eddie's booby traps - things can only get better from now on, surely!
    Still smiling. I do enjoy a bit of banter, and I don't mind if it is good natured ebullience.I am OK with that.
    So, no pub, no red wine and tempura seaweed? I can live with that, just a bit embarrassed to have so many faux pas on my first outing, as it were.!
    Pasha

Male Posts : 68

Post by Pasha Sun Aug 16 2015, 17:07

Eddie wrote:
    merrylizard1314 wrote:OK, we're straight now. It will be dangerous but fun, picking my way gingerly through the minefield of satire and irony that is this forum.
    Glad to be aboard.

Well, you did say "A glass of Cabernet Merlot for me, thanks, and a bit of banter on the side!" Maybe some of us go over the top at times, especially me in the banter department. That is not to say I do not take diabetes and spreading the low carb word very seriously.

I am not really a forum sort of person, I find it difficult to communicate in writing. Much easier when in a face to face situation, you can tell what people really mean, from facial expressions and body language.  

Interesting observation ,I think that I must be a very poor observer and interpreter of body language. I far prefer to communicate through the written word.
    merrylizard1314
    merrylizard1314

Post by merrylizard1314 Sun Aug 16 2015, 17:50

I like the written word, it can tell more about a person than one would think, especially over time. Happy to meet up with you again, Pasha.
    mo1905
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2305

Post by mo1905 Sun Aug 16 2015, 17:51

Forums do serve a purpose and some people will say or ask things they normally wouldn't face to face. This can be a double edged sword though. You get some very brave people on a keyboard who can say some very unpleasant things that would never act like that face to face.
    You also have the added problem of writing something down with good intention that can be read and taken completely differently.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Post by Jan1 Sun Aug 16 2015, 17:54

@MerryLizard1314 sorry I can't offer you a glass of Cabernet Merlot - but I have got a nice bottle of Pinot Grigio. It's nicely chilled!  I could pour you one out virtually speaking of course !!

And you state  "Although I completed the Newcastle Diet/ protocol, And had very good results, with non diabetic HbA1c 35, I still don't really understand why it works - there is the calorific restriction, yes,  but the carbohydrates are proportionally high on the optifast regime. Since the middle of June, my dietary regime is low carb and I have also taken part in 2 Fat Fasts, which were great fun, as I struggled to maintain good ketosis of 2-2.5, while trying not to lose much weight. I exercise by walking, swimming and rowing. I do not have a dog at present, which is a sadness, but I often borrow a dog, for walks- so companionable!
    The only medication I have, is for high blood pressure, which has only been ameliorated slightly, by diet and exercise. I see this as the next great challenge."

HbA1c of 35 sounds good to me Smile

All the best Jan
    merrylizard1314
    merrylizard1314

Post by merrylizard1314 Sun Aug 16 2015, 18:43

Hello @Jan1, thank you, I'd enjoy that, I have a Rioja Gorrebusto Temperanillo, which is nice to drink in the winter, to remember the summer days, you might enjoy a virtual glass.
    I am off to bed now, as it is 3.30am and I am usually up at six. Another confession - I am a very poor sleeper, and am trying to overcome this. Every morning I vow that today I will definitely go to bed early, but there is always something that I have to do first, and while I am waiting for something, I just look at the forums and suddenly it is 3am!
    My HbA1c result was gratifying , I have to admit. My next one is in September. I hope it will be the same
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Post by Jan1 Sun Aug 16 2015, 18:46

@MerryLizard1314 Many thanks ... sleep well.Talk again tomorrow Smile

All the best Jan

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28 2024, 08:49