The Low Carb Diabetic

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

Bank Holiday's

chris c

Re: Bank Holiday's

Post by chris c on Sat Aug 29 2015, 18:54

Careful you don't drown your car, like I did last winter.

After some prolonged rain the sun came out so I went for a brief drive around after doing the shopping.

The first couple of puddles were only a few inches deep so I thought nothing of it when I saw another one.

Only it was a dip in the road completely full of water and about three feet deep . . .
    Jan1

Female Posts : 4094

Post by Jan1 on Sun Aug 30 2015, 11:41

@chris c wrote:Careful you don't drown your car, like I did last winter.

After some prolonged rain the sun came out so I went for a brief drive around after doing the shopping.

The first couple of puddles were only a few inches deep so I thought nothing of it when I saw another one.

Only it was a dip in the road completely full of water and about three feet deep . . .

... Oh Dear ! One of our sons did similar but he was on his bike - which didn't take too kindly to the large pot-hole.

Luckily grazed knees and bike mended well Smile

All the best Jan
    chris c

Post by chris c on Sun Aug 30 2015, 12:45

My car was eight years old but I liked it so much I'd just decided to keep it rather than trade it in, then the decision was made for me!

It was a diesel Renault Modus, did over 60 mpg and cost pennies to tax insure and service, except for the standard Renault electrical failure, and was still in such good condition the insurance gave me top book for it. Ideal for old folks like my mother and friends/neighbours, and increasingly me, with big wide doors, high seats and a flat floor, so naturally they stopped making them.

It worked out for the best though, an investment had just matured and a friend's wife had her eye on a VW but couldn't afford it at the time so I said I'd buy it and keep it until she could. Fuel consumption was crap though, I was pushing it to get 50 mpg.

Then I got a secondhand Quashquai with the same Renault engine, only tuned for more power and a lot more torque, which is doing 57 - 59mpg despite being bigger and heavier with a LOT more performance. It had only done 11 000 so was just about run in and someone else took the hit on the depreciation, I suspect it will outlast me but I doubt I'll ever use most of the computerised gadgetry.  The big wheels and high ground clearance make it easy to pull off the road to avoid large agricultural machines, and holidaymakers in their Volvos.

Recently I saw my late mother's old Clio, still going after 13 or more years! Used to be everything except Volvos and Beetles would have rusted or fallen apart long ago.

I'm a lot more careful in the rain now - and also keep an eye out for deer after I saw what a Red Deer had done to a friend's Transit.

Looks like the rain's on its way back now.
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 on Sun Aug 30 2015, 16:12

The Quashquai is quite a popular car, I often see many as I'm driving around!

For a time I used to always name my cars (think it's a woman's thing) ... I've since grown up LOL and don't do that anymore.

When down around the New Forest area you do have to watch out for deer.

... I'm waiting for September its got to be sunny then - hasn't it?

All the best Jan
    chris c

Post by chris c on Sun Aug 30 2015, 17:20

Whatever car I have I always see loads of them around!

Yes the Quashquai was a Car Of The Year winner several years running, it was an attempt to redesign a "family car" with some success, but I'm a bit surprised at the comparative lack of space in the back, compared to the front and the massive boot which always tempts me to overspend at the garden centre/nurseries. It would be improved by a sliding rear seat which the Renault had.

My mother had numerous Nissans/Datsuns from the original Sunny to the Micra, and they may have been dull to drive (which the Quashquai isn't) but were mostly incredibly reliable and economical, something the Brits never managed - until we started building Nissans and Toyotas here.

My father had a Ford 8 with wire wheels which lasted from 1936 until 1957 or 1959, which he called Henry. Then he replaced it with a Popular and was specific he wanted the old design with the roman nose - which he also called Henry. My mother bought one too, which she called Annabel. In the intervening years that kind of longevity went away and is now considered cost effective again, many of my neighbours have cars of many makes which are 5 - 10 years old and still going strong.

Yes I remember the New Forest deer, mainly fallow and some Sikas. The fallows (which we also have here) have an annoying habit that when one crosses the road the others all follow irrespective of traffic. We also have red and muntjac deer - large and small - and a few roe deer mainly on the farmland. All make good eating, frankly I don't understand the opposition to deer culling - like the pheasants and partridges, and rabbits where you get them they are best considered as secondary food sources to the crops.

Yes in recent years we do tend to get "Indian summers" in september or october. Last autumn was so mild for so long I still had roses and all kinds of stuff flowering into Christmas and even January.

It messed up some of the farm crops though, there was autumn sown rape coming into flower in winter, which some farmers had to top and others ploughed in and sowed something else.
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 on Mon Aug 31 2015, 12:12

Great to read all this Chris ... thank you. My cars were always a 'female' name Harriet, Millie, Miranda etc. Now it's just a reliable car to get from A to B !

We have typical Bank Hoilday weather at the moment pouring with rain and dismal grey skies. Crying or Very sad

What's the betting as soon as the grandchildren (and other school children) go back to school later this week the blue sky and sun will appear.

Hope everyone enjoys the last Bank Holiday until Christmas santa  

All the best Jan
    chris c

Post by chris c on Mon Aug 31 2015, 20:24

Yup terminally miserable here though the lightning stayed in the distance.

I stayed in but the gloom prevented me from doing much. I reminisced over some Bank Holidays of the past, walking over the South Downs in blazing sunshine while the last of the harvest was brought in, surrounded by wildflowers and migrant birds piling up along the coast prior to leaving the country.

Then I had my dinner at lunchtime and retired to bed.

Yup it's the kids I feel sad for, and all the families who had holidays booked but probably ended up sat indoors facebooking and tweeting instead (and no doubt filling their faces with crap).
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 on Sat Mar 12 2016, 14:11

Talking about 'Bank Holiday's' ...  Exclamation

Have you started the countdown to the Easter Weekend yet ?
    Plenty of Easter Eggs in the shops affraid

Some local farms have lambing days advertised too ...

All the best Jan
    Mrs Vimes

Female Posts : 156

Post by Mrs Vimes on Sun Mar 13 2016, 06:15

Hi Jan, been counting the days until Easter since February half term! Now on 9 get ups!
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 on Sun Mar 13 2016, 18:46

@Mrs Vimes wrote:Hi Jan, been counting the days until Easter since February half term! Now on 9 get ups!

The frightening thing is ... this term has flown by, well I think it has.
    No sooner were the grand-kids back at school ... and now they are planning Easter Holiday exciting things to do!!!

9,  8,  7,  6,  5,  4,  3,  2,  1 ... yes nearly there cheers

Hope your weekend has been a good one

All the best Jan
    chris c

Post by chris c on Sun Mar 13 2016, 23:51

Not seen any lambs yet but a lot of the sheep have now gone into the lambing sheds so it's only a matter of time. Yes those bloody Easter eggs have been out almost since Christmas Sad
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 on Tue Mar 15 2016, 17:58

It's frightening and worrying to see them stacked high and they do all sell, because I can recall last year seeing people trying to buy some when it was quite close to Easter and most of them had been sold out affraid

Of course there is not only Easter Eggs for sale but cards, gifts, special mugs, vases etc etc  - you name it it's for sale Exclamation

I don't wish to be a spoil sport because so many families (and friends) get together and have Easter Egg hunts etc ... perhaps just reduce the amount of chocolate on offer Question Or have slightly different prizes Question

All the best Jan
    chris c

Post by chris c on Wed Mar 16 2016, 19:12

A friend used to paint real eggs. That would be an improvement - well except for me, I never liked eggs, I prefer to wait until they grow up.

Allegedly (well I read it on the internet so it must be true!) Easter Eggs were originally lapwing eggs when they nested early (long ago I can recall collecting them, illegal now) and Easter Bunnies were actually hares, which we currently have literally haring about in the fields, and sometimes running into the roads trying to trip up the cars.
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 on Sun Mar 27 2016, 12:57

Well there were still quite a few Easter Eggs available when I  went out yesterday - but none in our house LOL

Hope everyone has a good day

Happy Easter to all

Jan1

Post by Jan1 on Thu Apr 28 2016, 11:43

With the weather not being at all Spring like and with it being a Bank Holiday weekend, I wonder what it may bring?

According to AOL this:

May bank holiday travel chaos: 20 million road trips predicted

And don't think getting the train will be any easier

Motorists have been warned to expect heavy traffic over the bank holiday weekend with an estimated 20 million leisure trips being made on Britain's roads between Friday to Monday.

The RAC claimed a "far greater" number of cars will be on the highway this May Day weekend compared to 2015 because a number of people are making up for not going away at Easter as it was earlier than normal.

Read more here
    http://travel.aol.co.uk/2016/04/27/may-bank-holiday-travel-chaos-20-million-road-trips-predicted/?icid=maing-grid7%7Cuk%7Cdl11%7Csec3_lnk4%26pLid%3D453898

Note to self: Just get some great LCHF food in and enjoy a quiet weekend at home  Smile

Have you any plans.

I know the grand-children are looking forward to a leisurely day and not going out to school LOL!

All the best Jan
    chris c

Post by chris c on Mon May 02 2016, 22:01

I've been alternating walks in various places between the showers, and pulling several buckets of weeds which have gone into the compost bins. Only a bit at a time so as not to disturb the nesting birds (that's my excuse!)

Friends were cursing the weather forecast as they had booked a holiday (three children plus a dog in a caravan) but actually I think it was better weather than they expected, I'll see how they got on next week sometime.
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 on Tue May 03 2016, 12:03

@chris c wrote:I've been alternating walks in various places between the showers, and pulling several buckets of weeds which have gone into the compost bins. Only a bit at a time so as not to disturb the nesting birds (that's my excuse!)

Friends were cursing the weather forecast as they had booked a holiday (three children plus a dog in a caravan) but actually I think it was better weather than they expected, I'll see how they got on next week sometime.

Yes that sounds a good excuse - for not doing too much weeding lol!

Actually I think you have a relevant point. Always best NOT to disturb birds nests I think.

We had a text from one of our son's over the weekend
    "any idea how to deal with a bird in the loft" ...

Pleased to say it was all sorted safely  sunny  

We had some very nice sunshine - even had to get the sun cream out.
    Do weather forecasters really know what is going on outside the window!

Anyway it's due to get hotter as this week progresses.

Hope all readers had a good bank holiday - another one coming at the end of this month

All the best Jan
    chris c

Post by chris c on Wed May 04 2016, 23:24

A friend who is (mainly) a fencing contractor had piled up a load of panels ready for a forthcoming job after the holiday. He was cursing because blackbirds had built a nest on top of the pile. Now he'll either have to delay the work or buy more panels.

Most of the farmers here love their barn owls but one was not too happy, despite having several disused barns he inherited, the owls insisted on nesting in his current barn. One of his income streams is making high quality hay in small bales for the horsy folks and selling them throughout the year. Said bales are now trapped until the owls finish their business.

Where we used to live we got starlings and sometimes blue tits nesting in the attic, and starlings would come down the chimneys. Elsewhere I've had jackdaws in the chimneys too. Here the houses are pretty much bird-proof this side of the road, the other side they have pantiles which is where the starlings and sparrows breed. One neighbour has solar panels and pied wagtails nest under the panel.
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 on Tue May 24 2016, 12:35

My oh my - can you believe it!
    Another Bank Holiday weekend coming up Smile

One of the grandchildren is already looking forward to not having to get up, breakfast and then go out to school. Although school is good it's always nice to play with toys a little longer isn't it!

For many it's DIY or gardening or both ...

I'm just hoping the weather is good ... we have no plans to travel far ... but a gentle walk locally may be nice Smile

Hope your Bank Holiday weekend plans (if you have any) are coming along nicely

All the best Jan
    graham64

Male Posts : 2923

Post by graham64 on Tue May 24 2016, 21:45

I don't bother going going out on bank holidays with the amount of traffic on the roads it's not worth the hassle, if the weathers ok will probably go for a walk and call in at the local hostelry on the way back Very Happy

Proving the LowCarb sceptics wrong for over nine years,

Not all cherubs are Angels  Wink nor all diabetics Bonkers  Rolling Eyes
    chris c

Post by chris c on Tue May 24 2016, 22:37

Usually I go somewhere the tourists don't know about.
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 on Wed May 25 2016, 17:11

Yes, bank holidays can mean there are far more cars and people about, and having just read ...

"Bank Holiday Weather: Britain to bask in 23C" I think a few days quietly at home could be a very good idea!

Of course not all parts of the UK will be the same ...you can read more here
    http://travel.aol.co.uk/2016/05/25/bank-holiday-weather-forecast-britain-bask-23c/?icid=maing-grid7%7Cuk%7Cdl13%7Csec3_lnk4%26pLid%3D462998

Or just wait and see - a look out of your window works well I find  lol!

All the best Jan
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 on Sat May 28 2016, 13:32

Having just listened to the weather forecast .... it seems that Saturday and Sunday will be the better days for this late May holiday!!!

With so many County shows, carnivals etc. around if you should be going to any have a great time.

Of course you could spend time watching the Monaco grand prix Smile

Wishing everyone a good weekend

All the best Jan
    flower
    chris c

Post by chris c on Sun May 29 2016, 22:31

I did a couple of garden centre/nurseries at the end of last week, and naturally came away with more plants than I have room for, so I've been busy pulling more stuff up and digging out roots of winter heliotrope. This came with the house and has the advantage of big heads of almond scented white flowers in winter and early spring, but is hugely invasive and sends up hordes of massive leaves. The roots resembled a 3D map of the London Underground.

I had to keep stopping to throw mealworms to the birds which were constantly hassling me. I nearly trod on the blackbird who was inspecting my digging, and the baby robins in next door's garden sound nearly ready to fly.

It's gotten very dry, I'm almost looking forward to some rain, though hopefully not with all the lightning that's been plaguing the continent.
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 on Tue May 31 2016, 18:55

Chris said " It's gotten very dry, I'm almost looking forward to some rain, though hopefully not with all the lightning that's been plaguing the continent."

It has been very bad over there hasn't it. A friend of mine was cruising the River Rhine but had to change plans a little because it was too dangerous ... they are back home safely now, but I think their experience was a little different to the calm waters and blue sky you often see in the travel brochures.

Anyway as it's now the Tuesday after the Bank Holiday it's been back to work day for many ... and a wait until August for the next Bank Holiday weekend.

All the best Jan

Current date/time is Sun Aug 20 2017, 03:16