The Low Carb Diabetic

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

Bank Holiday's

chris c

Re: Bank Holiday's

Post by chris c on Wed Jun 01 2016, 22:13

It wasn't very good here either. The rains started at night and were punctuated by massive flashes and thunderclaps, mostly not close but going off in all directions and continuing pretty much all night. Every time it sounded like it was dying down another storm cell came by. Some power lines were hit as was the signalling system of one of the railway lines.

Eh well, my new plants got watered in well, including the runner beans (YAY!) and some of my wildflower meadow got blown about a bit, without rain for so long some things had grown tall and straggly. Many farmers will be pleased - as long as the rain knows when to stop again.
    graham64

Male Posts : 3107

Post by graham64 on Thu Jun 02 2016, 22:19

Enjoying a prolonged spell of fine weather it's not rained for well over a week gardens are dry having to water bedding plants daily, it would appear the west is getting the best of the weather sunny

Proving the LowCarb sceptics wrong for over nine years,

Not all cherubs are Angels  Wink nor all diabetics Bonkers  Rolling Eyes
    Jan1

Female Posts : 4331

Post by Jan1 on Fri Jun 03 2016, 14:44

Watching the TT information pre race programme last night and the Isle of Man had beautiful weather just like yours ...
    However, further South - it's like living in a different country affraid

Look after those bedding plants, they will give such a colourful display

All the best Jan
    graham64

Post by graham64 on Fri Jun 03 2016, 21:47

@Jan1 wrote:Watching the TT information pre race programme last night and the Isle of Man had beautiful weather just like yours ...
    However, further South - it's like living in a different country affraid

Look after those bedding plants, they will give such a colourful display

All the best Jan

Had yet another fine warm day though it did cloud over and go a bit cooler this evening, they were forecasting rain for tomorrow but that has changed the latest weather forecast is for a cloudy but dry day

The bedding plants are coming on well especially the hanging baskets they are thriving in the warm weather sunny

Jan1

Post by Jan1 on Thu Aug 11 2016, 18:56

Guess what !

We have another Bank Holiday Weekend coming up !

Monday 29th August is the late Bank Holiday Monday !

Has anyone got any plans - or is it a bit early to think ahead ?

All the best Jan
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 on Mon Aug 22 2016, 10:39

Well, one week today it will be the late August Bank Holiday ... for some the last long weekend break until Christmas  santa

One very big event is the Notting Hill Carnival  

HISTORY of the Notting Hill Carnival
    The Notting Hill Carnival is the largest street festival in Europe and originated in 1964 as a way for Afro-Caribbean communities to celebrate their own cultures and traditions. Taking place every August Bank Holiday weekend in the streets of London W11, the Notting Hill Carnival is an amazing array of sounds, colourful sights and social solidarity

At the roots of the Notting Hill Carnival are the Caribbean carnivals of the early 19th century – a particularly strong tradition in Trinidad – which were all about celebrating the abolition of slavery and the slave trade. The very first carnival was an attempt to showcase the steel band musicians who played in the Earls Court of London every Weekend. When the bands paraded through the streets of Notting Hill, they drew black residents out on to the streets, reminding them of the Caribbean homes they had left behind.

In the days of abolition, there was a strong element of parody in the songs and dances Trinidadians performed. Having been forbidden to hold festivals of their own during the period of slavery, they now took full advantage of the relative new freedoms the ending of slavery brought them. Dressing up in costumes that mimicked the European fashions of their former masters, even whitening their faces with flour or wearing white masks, they established a tradition that continues in the costume-making of today’s Notting Hill Carnival. The proper name for this aspect of the Carnival is Mas (derived from Masquerade)
    Details from here http://www.thenottinghillcarnival.com/history

Perhaps some readers may have been ... I never have

Of course many towns and villages hold their own celebrations, whilst others visit relations, enjoy a quiet day, perhaps do some gardening!

Whatever your plans - enjoy

All the best Jan
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 on Tue Aug 23 2016, 17:08

'Carmageddon' looms with worst bank holiday congestion for years, say experts

Drivers face "carmageddon" this weekend with the worst bank holiday congestion on UK roads for years, experts warned.

Transport information supplier Inrix said some stretches of road could have twice as many vehicles between Friday and Monday compared with a normal weekend.
    Hotspots to avoid including sections of the M25, M5, M27 and M6.

The combination of rail engineering work and a forecast of potentially warm weather is expected to boost the number of journeys over the popular getaway weekend.

Inrix traffic analyst Greg Hallsworth said: "This bank holiday could see the worst congestion in recent years.
    "A perfect storm of conditions will lead to increased traffic as carmageddon blights the long weekend.
    "With some uncharacteristically good weather forecast and potential rail disruption, holidaymakers could find roads gridlocked far more than usual.
    "We have already seen delays of up to 90 minutes during the bank holidays earlier this year but we could see delays of more than 120 minutes for some of the worst affected roads this weekend."

The RAC estimates that 20.7 million cars will be using major roads for leisure trips between Thursday and Monday.

Based on a survey of 1,579 motorists, it expects Saturday is set to be the busiest day with five million leisure journeys planned - double the figure for the same day last year.

Sunday is also set to be busy on the roads with 4.4 million getaway trips.

Road congestion could be boosted with nearly 1,000 engineering projects being carried out across Britain's rail network, meaning some lines will be closed.
    Major work is taking place to upgrade signalling in the Bristol area, affecting Great Western Railway passengers.
    Other work includes track replacement disrupting services between Milton Keynes and Rugby, and rail replacement buses operating between Preston and Bolton due to a project to electrify the railway through Chorley.
    Martin Frobisher, route managing director for Network Rail, said: "Work takes place 365 days a year as part of our Railway Upgrade Plan but we carry out larger upgrades over bank holidays when there are fewer passengers travelling."
    Forecasters at the Met Office said temperatures could reach 30C in some places this week, with inland parts of south-east England and East Anglia expected to enjoy the warmest weather.

:: These are the top 11 congestion hotspots to avoid over the bank holiday weekend (expected delay in brackets), according to Inrix:
    1. M25 between J9 Leatherhead and J21 Winch Hill Wood (90 minutes)
    2. M5 southbound from J14 Thornbury and J22 Highbridge (90 minutes)
    3. M25 between J4 Orpington and Dartford Tunnel (50 minutes)
    4. M27/A31 between Southampton and Ringwood (50 minutes)
    5. M4 westbound from London to the West Country (50 minutes)
    6. M6 between J19 Knutsford and J22 Warrington (45 minutes)
    7. M6 northbound from Keele to Knutsford (40 minutes)
    8. A303 westbound from Andover to Amesbury (40 minutes)
    9. M5 between J4a Bromsgrove and J7 Worcester (30 minutes)
    10. M25 between J29 Codham Hall Wood and the QEII Bridge (30 minutes)
    11. M60/M62 between J8 Carrington and J20 Rochdale (20 minutes)
    Highways England announced that almost 98% of England's motorway and major A roads will be clear of roadworks over the weekend.
    Some 373 miles of roadworks will either be completed or suspended ahead of the holiday.
    The decision was welcomed by the Freight Transport Association, which said lifting "such a significant number of roadworks" was good news for all motorists.

The above details taken from here
    http://www.aol.co.uk/news/2016/08/23/carmageddon-looms-with-worst-bank-holiday-congestion-for-years-say-experts/

Avoid 'Carmageddon' ... stay very local ... like at home Smile

All the best Jan
    chris c

Post by chris c on Tue Aug 23 2016, 22:00

This weekend I shall be mostly melting. Probably I will steer clear of the beaches and head inland where tourists seldom go.
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 on Sun Aug 28 2016, 16:44

Well for those travelling in Kent I am pleased to see that after the collapse of a footbridge closed it in both directions for more than 24 hours,
    Highways England said the London-bound Kent M20 had fully reopened and two out of three coast-bound lanes had reopened.
    The bridge, between junctions three and four, came down on the London-bound carriageway on Saturday after it was hit by a lorry carrying a digger.
    A motorcyclist was hurt but his injuries were not life-threatening.
    Two large cranes worked to clear the road, which is the main route to the Channel Tunnel and Port of Dover.

The crash happened on one of the busiest travel days of the year

So many had their journey to weddings, holiday, friends, family etc affected
    but for those involved it could have been a lot worse

I hope your Bank Holiday is going peacefully and enjoyably by ...

All the best Jan
    graham64

Post by graham64 on Sun Aug 28 2016, 21:31

I don't venture out on bank holidays anymore just not worth the hassle, traffic jams are the norm especially if the weathers fine  sunny

Jan1

Post by Jan1 on Tue Aug 30 2016, 12:12

two of our grandchildren having fun in the sun

Bank Holidays can be fun !
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 on Mon Apr 03 2017, 22:16

@Jan1 wrote:

two of our grandchildren having fun in the sun

Bank Holidays can be fun !

The photo and words above are from August 2016.

But I thought it's Easter soon ... Good Friday being April 14th, Easter Sunday April 16th ...
    Then I thought Bank Holiday ...
    Then I thought Bank Holiday Posts ...

Hence I've bumped up this post.
    I know these two are hoping for good weather to enjoy being outside.

Have any readers got any Easter plans they feel like sharing Smile

All the best Jan
    chris c

Post by chris c on Mon Apr 03 2017, 23:43

I will mostly be not eating easter eggs
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 on Wed Apr 05 2017, 11:18

Andy12345

Male Posts : 1637

Post by Andy12345 on Wed Apr 05 2017, 16:46

this 4 days is my longest holiday until christmas so i will play lots of golf, maybe a bit of gardening and try to rest

seems a bit daft the thought of eating easter eggs now, weird how strange things can become normal, 5 years ago i would be feeling terrible about not being allowed easter eggs
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 on Tue Apr 11 2017, 11:19

@Andy12345 wrote:this 4 days is my longest holiday until christmas so i will play lots of golf, maybe a bit of gardening and try to rest

seems a bit daft the thought of eating easter eggs now, weird how strange things can become normal, 5 years ago i would be feeling terrible about not being allowed easter eggs

I can't remember the last time I ate a shop bought Eater Egg ... although I am told the Hotel Chocolat Dark Chocolate ones are nice ...

I'm not tempted.

I just hope the weather is good for people / families to get out and about and enjoy the four days.

All the best Jan
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3768

Post by Eddie on Wed Apr 12 2017, 11:22

I love Bank Holidays. These days we never go anywhere, the phone stops ringing and we are left in peace. We stock up with grub for a few days, batten down the hatches and chill out. Meanwhile every Tom, Dick and Harry clogs up the falling to bits roads. Spends five hours travelling a 100 miles to get to some crap hole that was once a nice place, the Seaside. Either that or heads to an Airport to be treated like a criminal, queuing for hours and ripped off big time.

The great thing about being retired, is the fact you can do things, and go to places when everyone else isn't. Well, apart from all the other decrepit, miserable old gits like me who are queuing for the tea rooms and bogs. rofl

Type two diabetic-low carb diet (50 carbs per day) and two 500mg Metformin pills per day. Apart from diagnosis HbA1c almost 12-all HbA1c results none diabetic. For over eight years my diabetes medication has not changed. My weight has remained stable, I have suffered no ill effects from my diet whatsoever. Every blood test has proved, I took the right road to my diabetic salvation. For almost seven years, I have asked medical professionals and naysayers, how do I maintain non diabetic BG levels on two Metformin other than low carb ? The silence has been deafening !
    graham64

Post by graham64 on Wed Apr 12 2017, 22:23

I don't venture far on bank holidays with all the traffic it's not worth the hassle, given the weather forecast for the Easter weekend it's not going nice anyway  Sad

chris c

Post by chris c on Thu Apr 13 2017, 23:17

Yes I won't be going anywhere much, just to some of the places no-one else ever goes. I've met a few other old farts and birdwatchers on holiday here and there, a few mothers taking their kids out for walks, and quite the most stunning Asian lady in the woods today, she'd left her husband at work (sigh) and her kids at home and took her pushbike out to see if there were any good birds around and if the bluebells were in flower yet. Not quite, I suggested another couple of weeks and they'll be carpeting the woods and scenting the air, and the Nightingales might have arrived by then.

I have a well stocked fridge, for now . . .
    graham64

Post by graham64 on Fri Apr 14 2017, 22:34

Rained most of the day here feel sorry for those who planned a family day out it's not been a Good Friday for them  Sad

Andy12345

Male Posts : 1637

Post by Andy12345 on Sat Apr 15 2017, 09:58

Weather been ok here, yesterday was mostly cloudy but no rain, just got in from a round of golf, again cloudy but no rain yet, but we are in the southeast, we deserve better weather than you other types

Braving the M25 soon to go and see my mum down the coast, fingers crossed
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 on Sat Apr 15 2017, 12:20

@Andy12345 wrote:Weather been ok here, yesterday was mostly cloudy but no rain, just got in from a round of golf, again cloudy but no rain yet, but we are in the southeast, we deserve better weather than you other types

Braving the M25 soon to go and see my mum down the coast, fingers crossed

Hope the golf was enjoyable and yes, fingers crossed the M25 will be ok  ... enjoy your day  Smile

All the best Jan
    chris c

Post by chris c on Sat Apr 15 2017, 22:41

If I never go on the M25 again it will be too soon.

I remember the days when the M1 and M6 were an enjoyable drive, and I loved the M62 before it was completed, now I believe it is actually worse than the M25.
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 on Sun Apr 16 2017, 10:54

With so much more traffic on the roads than ever before, and the state of some of our roads travelling is not a pleasurable experience ...

It is however, a means to get from 'A' to 'B'

Whatever plans you may have for Easter Sunday, I wish you a Happy and Peaceful one.

All the best Jan
    graham64

Post by graham64 on Mon Apr 17 2017, 22:12

Last day of Easter and at last the sun came out  sunny made for a pleasantly warm afternoon in contrast to the wet and cool weather we've had for the previous three days

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Dec 13 2017, 18:55