The Low Carb Diabetic

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

Reading and Things

Jan1

Female Posts : 4094

Re: Reading and Things

Post by Jan1 on Fri Feb 05 2016, 12:08

The recent television series was very good with Levison Wood, who according to 'The Times' is Britain's best-loved adventurer ...

Levison Wood's most challenging expedition yet begins along the Silk Road route of Afghanistan and travels through five countries. Following in the footsteps of the great explorers, Levison walks the entire length of the Himalayas in an adventure of survival and endurance.

A personal story of discovery, Levison forges strong bonds with local guides, porters, mountain men, soldiers, farmers, smugglers and shepherds. By travelling on foot, and following the same footpaths that locals use, he uncovers stories that might otherwise remain hidden. Along the way he also reveals the history of the Himalayas and two millennia of exploration, and examines a continent in crisis in the 21st century.

Packed with action and emotion, more than anything Walking the Himalayas is a story of personal adventure and striving beyond the limits of convention.

... you may wish to look out or it

... you may have another book in mind to read ?

All the best Jan
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 on Sat Feb 20 2016, 18:07

Harper Lee Dead: 'To Kill A Mockingbird' Author Dies Aged 89

"Harper Lee's 'To Kill A Mockingbird' made her a literary superstar

Her 1960 novel made her a literary superstar and won her the Pulitzer prize. It was also turned into a timelessly fascinating film starring Gregory Peck as the lawyer Atticus Finch, who tries to do good in a town whose racial tensions were brought to the surface in a trial.

Harper’s second novel, ‘Go Set A Watchman’, was published in July 2015, after being “rediscovered” in a safety deposit box at her retirement home.

While fans and critics alike were delighted to learn of the novel’s existence, its release was marred in controversy following speculation over whether the reclusive author actually wanted it to be published."

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2016/02/19/harper-lee_n_9273534.html

I thought the film with Gregory Peck was excellent.
    I've yet to read 'Go Set A Watchman'

But RIP Harper Lee
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 on Thu May 26 2016, 15:59

When I went to school the 'school reading scheme' was the 'Janet and John' books.
    I've always enjoyed reading and can remember Enid Blyton, AA Milne and many others, featuring during my early childhood years.

I must admit I was pleased to read this today:

Winnie-the-Pooh story celebrates Queen's 90th

A new Winnie-the-Pooh adventure has been released to celebrate both the 90th birthday of the Queen and the fictional bear himself.
    Winnie-the-Pooh and the Royal Birthday sees the much-loved bear travel to Buckingham Palace with Christopher Robin and friends, Piglet and Eeyore.
    The free story has been written by Jane Riordan and is illustrated in the classic EH Shepard style.
    It is available as an audio-video download, narrated by Jim Broadbent.
    The Queen officially celebrates her 90th birthday on 11 June, although her actual birthday is 21 April 1926.
    The first Winnie-the-Pooh book, written by AA Milne, was published in October 1926, though the bear 'of very little brain' had previously featured in a poem and a tale in a newspaper.

Broadbent said he had "loved being part of" the new adventure.
    "I have been a fan of Winnie-the-Pooh since I was a boy. In fact I named my very first and much loved teddy Pooh and that can only have been after the AA Milne character," the actor said.
    "It's been an honour to narrate such an iconic story and I want to wish both Her Majesty The Queen and Winnie-the-Pooh a very happy 90th."

Story/read more here
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-36386828#?foo=bar&

All the best Jan
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 on Fri Oct 28 2016, 13:20

Out and about both in supermarkets and book shops I see the Christmas Books selection are out on the shelves... and it's a large collection of all different types!

As a child I remember we always got an annual in our Christmas Stocking ... well actually it was a Christmas pillow!

So many annuals to choose from and I think all the grandchildren are looking forward to getting at least one, and there are so many to choose from - I think we may need a helpful hint LOL!

So many books to choose - from thrillers like 'Solomon Creed' to a very light hearted Christmas romance 'Christmas at the Comfort Food Cafe' ...it doesn't sound as if there may be many LCHF dishes to chose from LOL!

Of course there are 'zillions' of cookery books - but one I saw recently - which did have a good selection of LCHF recipe ideas was this one 'The 8-Week Blood Sugar Diet'. Of course some of the recipes, or similar ones, may have been featured here or on the low carb diabetic blog! My other thought is - both Eddie and I have been living the LCHF lifestyle for more than eight weeks - its been more than eight years now!

Anyway should you be lucky to get a good Christmas Book this year ... please enjoy the read.

Of course if you have any thoughts on a good book we are always pleased that you share them here ...

All the best Jan
    sunny  santa  sunny
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 on Tue Nov 29 2016, 11:36

You may have seen this already? It's about Louisa May Alcott, an American novelist and poet best known as the author of the novel Little Women and its sequels Little Men and Jo's Boys. She was born November 29, 1832. She is perhaps, one of the best-known female authors of the time, and was rarely one to conform to type.

Alcott, who was born 184 years ago today, became a famous feminist and campaigned for the abolition of slavery. She is best known, however, for writing Little Women, the iconic children's book that inspired millions.

Google has commemorated her birthday with a special Doodle (seen above) displaying the characters of Little Women, who were based on Alcott's own family.

Read more at Wikipedia, or many newspapers!

All the best Jan
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 on Sat Jan 07 2017, 13:51

... Unusually I didn't get any new books this Christmas, luckily I still have quite a few that I've not yet read.

Eddie received a copy of 'Sully' Miracle on the Hudson.
    It's a true story which became a movie starring Tom Hanks.

I think he will enjoy the read - well I hope he does !

I wonder if any readers / members may have got any new books for Christmas?

All the best Jan
    Derek

Post by Derek on Sun Jan 08 2017, 22:17

Tom Hanks in Captain Phillips was a gripping film , Jan!
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 on Mon Jan 09 2017, 11:20

@Derek wrote:Tom Hanks in Captain Phillips was a gripping film , Jan!

Yes, I agree Derek ... we watched it recently.

To be honest I don't think I've ever seen Tom Hanks in a bad film, and he's done a lot.

All the best Jan

PS Eddie is enjoying reading Sully
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 on Sun Feb 12 2017, 12:48

With Andy talking about golf recently ... this book came to mind.

A Good Walk Spoiled: Days and Nights on the PGA Tour
    by John Feinstein
    http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/892594.A_Good_Walk_Spoiled

Has anyone read or been reading a good book lately?

All the best Jan
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 on Tue Aug 01 2017, 17:41

I know many people like their kindles (or similar) for reading, but with me I just like books.

Out and about last week having a mooch around 2nd Hand Book stores etc. I spied a Christmas read (sorry to mention Christmas in August!)

Romance in a Winter Wonderland setting ... I bought it for the bargain price of £1-00 and have put it away until later this year ... well, I thought it is a little early to be thinking of winter wonderland ...

My current read is a historical novel set in the 1860's Smile

Are you reading any books this summer?

All the best Jan
    chris c

Post by chris c on Fri Aug 04 2017, 01:02

I'm spending so much time on Twitter and blogs and reading research that I haven't read a book for ages. I do use a few for reference, like my bird and flower books and various atlases and distribution maps when I'm looking to see how things have changed in the recent past.

I must buy and find time to read Diabetes Unpacked though, it sounds rather good.

Fiction I'm mostly getting via the TV. Oh wait, that's the news.
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 on Sun Aug 06 2017, 17:04

Do you use your local library? They can be fantastic places ...

This summer the grandchildren have signed up for Animal Agents, they're really enjoying it so far  Smile

"This summer there’s something strange happening at the library – and that’s where the Animal Agents come in!

The Animal Agents love solving mysteries and they need YOU to help them crack their biggest case yet.

Who has painted graffiti on the library wall?
    Why are things suddenly going missing?

Join the Animal Agents for the
    Summer Reading Challenge 2017 and help them uncover the truth!"
    https://summerreadingchallenge.org.uk/news/general/about-animal-agents

Call me old fashioned but I think it's so important to encourage children to read, explore and expand their knowledge in a fun way!
    We are always learning aren't we Smile

All the best Jan
    chris c

Post by chris c on Tue Aug 08 2017, 00:12

Oh memories! Yes I graduated early from the children's section to the adult section. Over the years they moved the libraries around a lot and subsequently closed several of them down.

I used to take mother regularly. The library here is still pretty good but I have such a collection of books, including those inherited from my father and later my mother, I stopped going.

I'm reaching the age where I only need one book, because by the time I get to the end I've forgotten how it started and have to read it again . . .

Current date/time is Mon Aug 21 2017, 10:58