The Low Carb Diabetic

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.


Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

    Reading and Things

    Share
    avatar
    Mud Island Dweller
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Female Posts : 228
    Join date : 2014-08-14
    Age : 55
    Location : Mud Island

    Re: Reading and Things

    Post by Mud Island Dweller on Sat Aug 23 2014, 09:35

    Christine Feehan has brought out another Dark series book looks like today... how long can l resist l don't think long but will try  Very Happy 
    avatar
    Jan1
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Female Posts : 4337
    Join date : 2014-08-13

    Re: Reading and Things

    Post by Jan1 on Sun Aug 24 2014, 23:34

    Talking of books .........

    I've just started reading "The Girl Who Fell From The Sky" by Simon Mawer. Set during the second world war it tells the story of an SOE recruit. (Special Operations Executive)

    So far so good, I'm really enjoying the read. Has anyone read "The Glass Room" also by Mawer?

    Happy Reading  sunny 

    All the best Jan
    avatar
    graham64
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Male Posts : 3112
    Join date : 2014-08-10
    Location : Lancs

    Re: Reading and Things

    Post by graham64 on Mon Aug 25 2014, 00:04

    Iv'e just finished reading Fifty Sheds damper the sequel to the ground breaking and controversial Wink  Fifty Sheds of Grey Shocked


    _________________
    I'm a skinny T2 diagnosed 4/4/2008, a high calorie LCHF diet and one metformin a day A1c 6.2 and no complications.

    Proving the LowCarb sceptics wrong for over nine years,

    Not all cherubs are Angels  Wink nor all diabetics Bonkers  Rolling Eyes

    Xyz
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Female Posts : 66
    Join date : 2014-08-15

    Re: Reading and Things

    Post by Xyz on Mon Aug 25 2014, 08:45

    @graham64 wrote:Iv'e just finished reading Fifty Sheds damper the sequel to the ground breaking and controversial Wink  Fifty Sheds of Grey Shocked

    I saw that in our local garden centre.
    Brilliant!
    avatar
    graham64
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Male Posts : 3112
    Join date : 2014-08-10
    Location : Lancs

    Re: Reading and Things

    Post by graham64 on Mon Aug 25 2014, 21:57

    Brunneria wrote:
    @graham64 wrote:Iv'e just finished reading Fifty Sheds damper the sequel to the ground breaking and controversial Wink  Fifty Sheds of Grey Shocked

    I saw that in our local garden centre.
    Brilliant!

    Did they sell sheds as well, the author of the book was Colin T Grey CEO of Slea-Z-Sheds International a multi-million pound erotic shed company: Shocked


    _________________
    I'm a skinny T2 diagnosed 4/4/2008, a high calorie LCHF diet and one metformin a day A1c 6.2 and no complications.

    Proving the LowCarb sceptics wrong for over nine years,

    Not all cherubs are Angels  Wink nor all diabetics Bonkers  Rolling Eyes

    Xyz
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Female Posts : 66
    Join date : 2014-08-15

    Re: Reading and Things

    Post by Xyz on Mon Aug 25 2014, 22:56

    @graham64 wrote:
    Brunneria wrote:
    @graham64 wrote:Iv'e just finished reading Fifty Sheds damper the sequel to the ground breaking and controversial Wink  Fifty Sheds of Grey Shocked

    I saw that in our local garden centre.
    Brilliant!

    Did they sell sheds as well, the author of the book was Colin T Grey CEO of Slea-Z-Sheds International a multi-million pound erotic shed company: Shocked

    It was right next to some garden twine, dibblers and canes!
    Shouldn't be allowed!
    I pay my license fee, you know!
    avatar
    Jan1
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Female Posts : 4337
    Join date : 2014-08-13

    Re: Reading and Things

    Post by Jan1 on Wed Sep 03 2014, 16:18

    Been having a bit of a sort out and tidy up of cupboards today. Found I have quite a few books that I've read. I did offer them to other family members but still had quite a few which were taking up space.

    Walked down to the Charity Shop and handed them over to the kind lady behind the till ...and then of course... yes you guessed it went and had a look at their book shelves in case there was anything there I fancied reading.

    I've come away with two light reading books for me, one by Elizabeth Gill, the other by Margaret Dickinson and one for Eddie written by Roy Adkins about The Battle for Trafalgar. He loves History Books especially about wars and one of his favourite books is Stalingrad.  

    I've still got a little space left in the cupboard .....perhaps I'll stock up with some wine tomorrow?

    Have you bought any good books recently (or good wine) ? lol!

    All the best Jan
    avatar
    mo1905
    Moderator

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Male Posts : 2303
    Join date : 2014-08-10
    Location : Cambs

    Re: Reading and Things

    Post by mo1905 on Wed Sep 03 2014, 16:26

    My kids bought me a Kindle thing for books. To be honest, I like the actual feel of a book in my hand but there are advantages to the Kindle. It can store 1000's of books which saves a lot of space and I also like to read in bed and it's backlit. Just purchased 2 biographies for my hols, Winston Churchill & Peter Sellers. Bit random I guess !


    _________________
    Type1, Humalog and Solostar, Metformin, Lisinopril ( BP ), last HbA1C 41 ( 5.9% ), 20th Oct 2014, HbA1C 43 ( 6.1% ) 9th Mar 2015.
    avatar
    Jan1
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Female Posts : 4337
    Join date : 2014-08-13

    Re: Reading and Things

    Post by Jan1 on Wed Sep 03 2014, 21:26

    @mo1905 wrote:My kids bought me a Kindle thing for books. To be honest, I like the actual feel of a book in my hand but there are advantages to the Kindle. It can store 1000's of books which saves a lot of space and I also like to read in bed and it's backlit. Just purchased 2 biographies for my hols, Winston Churchill & Peter Sellers. Bit random I guess !


    Yes .....the fore's and against of the 'Kindle'. I know friends and family members love them and they are especially handy for holidays  .... BUT, call me old fashioned - you just can't beat the feel of a book.

    Winston Churchill and Peter Sellers random?  Well maybe - but why not, and holidays are great for reading.

    All the best Jan
    avatar
    Jan1
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Female Posts : 4337
    Join date : 2014-08-13

    Re: Reading and Things

    Post by Jan1 on Mon Sep 22 2014, 15:07

    @Jan1 wrote:
    @mo1905 wrote:My kids bought me a Kindle thing for books. To be honest, I like the actual feel of a book in my hand but there are advantages to the Kindle. It can store 1000's of books which saves a lot of space and I also like to read in bed and it's backlit. Just purchased 2 biographies for my hols, Winston Churchill & Peter Sellers. Bit random I guess !


    Yes .....the fore's and against of the 'Kindle'. I know friends and family members love them and they are especially handy for holidays  .... BUT, call me old fashioned - you just can't beat the feel of a book.

    Winston Churchill and Peter Sellers random?  Well maybe - but why not, and holidays are great for reading.

    All the best Jan

    Just wondered how the holiday reading went Mo ?

    Is anyone else reading anything good?

    What are your preferences a kindle (or similar) or a book ?

    All the best Jan
    avatar
    mo1905
    Moderator

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Male Posts : 2303
    Join date : 2014-08-10
    Location : Cambs

    Re: Reading and Things

    Post by mo1905 on Mon Sep 22 2014, 15:25

    I finished The Natalie Wood biography and The Buddy Holly biography. Both super talented whose lives were so sadly cut short. Unbelievable when you look at how much music Buddy Holly created before dying at 22. Amazing. I prefer a book but the Kindle is ideal for hols. Light and very portable. Can also get wi-fi on there too :-)


    _________________
    Type1, Humalog and Solostar, Metformin, Lisinopril ( BP ), last HbA1C 41 ( 5.9% ), 20th Oct 2014, HbA1C 43 ( 6.1% ) 9th Mar 2015.
    avatar
    Jan1
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Female Posts : 4337
    Join date : 2014-08-13

    Re: Reading and Things

    Post by Jan1 on Mon Sep 29 2014, 17:48

    For some reason I've not been reading my books recently .... too busy with Forums and Blogs maybe ? lol!

    But I have skipped through a couple of magazines 'Good Housekeeping' for example.

    Have you any magazine favourites - do you think they are a bit expensive, which some of them are. ?

    All the best Jan
    avatar
    mo1905
    Moderator

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Male Posts : 2303
    Join date : 2014-08-10
    Location : Cambs

    Re: Reading and Things

    Post by mo1905 on Tue Sep 30 2014, 12:12

    I think magazines are a bit of a con really. The only time I read them are hospital waiting rooms and doctors surgeries cos they're FREEEEEEEE :-)


    _________________
    Type1, Humalog and Solostar, Metformin, Lisinopril ( BP ), last HbA1C 41 ( 5.9% ), 20th Oct 2014, HbA1C 43 ( 6.1% ) 9th Mar 2015.
    avatar
    Bode
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Female Posts : 21
    Join date : 2014-08-27
    Location : Northampton

    Re: Reading and Things

    Post by Bode on Tue Sep 30 2014, 12:22

    @mo1905 wrote:I think magazines are a bit of a con really. The only time I read them are hospital waiting rooms and doctors surgeries cos they're FREEEEEEEE :-)

    And covered in germs  *shudder*  No affraid
    avatar
    mo1905
    Moderator

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Male Posts : 2303
    Join date : 2014-08-10
    Location : Cambs

    Re: Reading and Things

    Post by mo1905 on Tue Sep 30 2014, 12:27

    @Bode wrote:
    @mo1905 wrote:I think magazines are a bit of a con really. The only time I read them are hospital waiting rooms and doctors surgeries cos they're FREEEEEEEE :-)

    And covered in germs  *shudder*  No affraid

    Agreed ! I don't eat them though lol :-)
    Can't beat a "Good Housekeeping" 2003 Winter edition !


    _________________
    Type1, Humalog and Solostar, Metformin, Lisinopril ( BP ), last HbA1C 41 ( 5.9% ), 20th Oct 2014, HbA1C 43 ( 6.1% ) 9th Mar 2015.
    avatar
    sanguine
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Male Posts : 395
    Join date : 2014-08-14
    Age : 63
    Location : Devon UK

    Re: Reading and Things

    Post by sanguine on Tue Sep 30 2014, 13:59

    I might buy an occasional Private Eye or New Statesman if there's a political issue going on, otherwise most of my magazine purchases are hobby related and many of those are kept long term for reference purposes. Sometimes I'll skim through Mrs Sanguine's gardening or women's magazines but I'll run a mile from anything that looks like 'celebrity culture' (now there's an oxymoron if ever there was one).

    In my 20s I would happily read through (read? whadja mean read?) girl friends' copies of Cosmopolitan <wistful sigh>.
    avatar
    Andy12345
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Male Posts : 1637
    Join date : 2014-08-14
    Age : 47
    Location : Surrey

    Re: Reading and Things

    Post by Andy12345 on Tue Sep 30 2014, 19:50

    @mo1905 wrote:I think magazines are a bit of a con really. The only time I read them are hospital waiting rooms and doctors surgeries cos they're FREEEEEEEE :-)



    ewwwww i dont go near them in the doctors etc, who knows whats germ they have on them lol
    avatar
    Jan1
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Female Posts : 4337
    Join date : 2014-08-13

    Re: Reading and Things

    Post by Jan1 on Tue Sep 30 2014, 19:57

    @Andy12345 wrote:
    @mo1905 wrote:I think magazines are a bit of a con really. The only time I read them are hospital waiting rooms and doctors surgeries cos they're FREEEEEEEE :-)



    ewwwww i dont go near them in the doctors etc, who knows whats germ they have on them lol

    I can remember a few years back my Drs surgery banning all magazines / books for risk of spreading ?? Think it was a flu virus, or similar, may have got that wrong but it was something 'they' thought serious then it turned out it was ok.

    Things have returned to normal with old readers digest magazines and as Mo said Good Housekeeping 2003 or worse  lol!

    All the best Jan
    avatar
    Jan1
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Female Posts : 4337
    Join date : 2014-08-13

    Re: Reading and Things

    Post by Jan1 on Tue Oct 07 2014, 19:30

    ....just a thought !

    Does anyone read poetry? It's not too popular for some reason.....

    Looking back, I can't really remember reading a lot of poetry at school - but I'm sure we did. Perhaps if we'd read more I may have followed it through. Yes, we have the Poet Laureate ...does anyone know his/her name? One of my children loved Michael Murpurgo who at one time was the Childrens Laureate.

    At present I only have two poetry books in the house that I sometimes do turn to and read. Whereas fiction and non fiction books are many.

    Just thinking out loud ..........

    All the best Jan
    avatar
    mo1905
    Moderator

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Male Posts : 2303
    Join date : 2014-08-10
    Location : Cambs

    Re: Reading and Things

    Post by mo1905 on Tue Oct 07 2014, 22:28



    It was just about noontime with my friends out at lunch

    And it’s time to test sugars before I can munch



    So out comes my lancet, my strips and test meter

    And a tissue just in case (as I’m quite the bleeder)

    I started my testing, as if I were alone

    When a friend asked a question, “Is that your cell phone?”



    “Ah yes! It’s my cell phone. You see it’s quite stylish

    With its beeping and whirring, green backlight and all

    But there is one problem, I must say it’s quite garish

    I must give it blood before it makes a call.”



    They gasped and they stared, both in horror and wonder

    All conversation ended, as I’d stolen their thunder

    They looked at their phones with new appreciation

    Since they didn’t buy minutes with exsanguination



    So before you complain that your bill is too high

    Remember, my cell
    phone is bleeding me dry.


    _________________
    Type1, Humalog and Solostar, Metformin, Lisinopril ( BP ), last HbA1C 41 ( 5.9% ), 20th Oct 2014, HbA1C 43 ( 6.1% ) 9th Mar 2015.
    avatar
    Jan1
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Female Posts : 4337
    Join date : 2014-08-13

    Re: Reading and Things

    Post by Jan1 on Tue Oct 07 2014, 22:41

    @mo1905 wrote:

    It was just about noontime with my friends out at lunch

    And it’s time to test sugars before I can munch



    So out comes my lancet, my strips and test meter

    And a tissue just in case (as I’m quite the bleeder)

    I started my testing, as if I were alone

    When a friend asked a question, “Is that your cell phone?”



    “Ah yes! It’s my cell phone. You see it’s quite stylish

    With its beeping and whirring, green backlight and all

    But there is one problem, I must say it’s quite garish

    I must give it blood before it makes a call.”



    They gasped and they stared, both in horror and wonder

    All conversation ended, as I’d stolen their thunder

    They looked at their phones with new appreciation

    Since they didn’t buy minutes with exsanguination



    So before you complain that your bill is too high

    Remember, my cell
    phone is bleeding me dry.


    Applause ... Applause ...

    Like it Mo ... you poet you sunny

    All the best Jan
    avatar
    mo1905
    Moderator

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Male Posts : 2303
    Join date : 2014-08-10
    Location : Cambs

    Re: Reading and Things

    Post by mo1905 on Tue Oct 07 2014, 22:43

    Alas I can't claim this as my own work, I got it off a buddy a while back. Not bad though eh :-)


    _________________
    Type1, Humalog and Solostar, Metformin, Lisinopril ( BP ), last HbA1C 41 ( 5.9% ), 20th Oct 2014, HbA1C 43 ( 6.1% ) 9th Mar 2015.
    avatar
    Jan1
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Female Posts : 4337
    Join date : 2014-08-13

    Re: Reading and Things

    Post by Jan1 on Mon Oct 13 2014, 17:58

    Oh dear can't believe I'm going to post this little ditti .......but here goes Embarassed

    Following on the poetry theme

    Rain Rain Go Away

    Come Again Another Day


    ......I know it's terrible sorry everyone Shocked

    All the best Jan
    avatar
    zand
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Female Posts : 1940
    Join date : 2014-08-14

    Re: Reading and Things

    Post by zand on Mon Oct 13 2014, 18:13

    @Jan1 wrote:Oh dear can't believe I'm going to post this little ditti .......but here goes Embarassed

    Following on the poetry theme

    Rain Rain Go Away

    Come Again Another Day


    ......I know it's terrible sorry everyone Shocked

    All the best Jan

    Oh, that brings back horrid memories Jan lol! lol! lol!
    avatar
    Jan1
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Female Posts : 4337
    Join date : 2014-08-13

    Re: Reading and Things

    Post by Jan1 on Mon Oct 13 2014, 18:31

    @zand wrote:
    @Jan1 wrote:Oh dear can't believe I'm going to post this little ditti .......but here goes Embarassed

    Following on the poetry theme

    Rain Rain Go Away

    Come Again Another Day


    ......I know it's terrible sorry everyone Shocked

    All the best Jan

    Oh, that brings back horrid memories Jan lol! lol! lol!

    Yes, it's almost as bad as some of the Valentine messages I can remember when at school ...started with

    Roses are Red, Violets are blue


    .....then we put our own words in depending who the card was being sent to.

    Who'd be a teenager ? affraid

    All the best Jan

    Sponsored content

    Re: Reading and Things

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Sun Dec 17 2017, 12:04