THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

+6
mo1905
sanguine
Avocado Sevenfold
Xyz
OldTech
Eddie
10 posters

The $64,000 question is why is this tragic situation allowed to continue ?

Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

The $64,000 question is why is this tragic situation allowed to continue ? Empty The $64,000 question is why is this tragic situation allowed to continue ?

Post by Eddie Thu Aug 21 2014, 04:00

When you read the NHS audited statistics for diabetes for England the numbers are truly appalling. 93% of type one diabetics fail to get to a safe HbA1c, for type two’s 72.5%. The DAFNE course for type one’s over a seven year period state HbA1c fell from 8.6% to 8.3% How many people here would be happy with those sort of numbers ? I reckon not very many. The reasons are many, but I believe this is mainly due to the appalling dietary advice so many diabetics are given. Most if not all the members here have achieved far better control than the grim figures below and diet has played a substantial part in gaining control. With the exception of a small number of Doctors and Dietitians, who promote low carb, the abject failure continues every year, in fact the situation gets worse year by year, because ever more people join the the club no one wants to join. The $64,000 question is why is this tragic situation allowed to continue ?

Kind regards Eddie

Results for England. The National Diabetes Audit 2010-2011

Percentage of registered Type 1 patients in England

HbA1c >= 6.5% (48 mmol/mol) = 92.6%
    HbA1c >   7.5% (58 mmol/mol) = 71.3%
    HbA1c > 10.0% (86 mmol/mol) = 18.1%

Percentage of registered Type 2 patients in England

HbA1c >= 6.5% (48 mmol/mol = 72.5%
    HbA1c > 7.5% (58 mmol/mol) = 32.6%
    HbA1c >10.0% (86 mmol/mol) = 6.8%

These results are very similar to those obtained in previous NHS audits over the past 5 - 6 years.

https://catalogue.ic.nhs.uk/publications/clinical/diabetes/nati-diab-audi-10-11/nati-diab-audi-10-11-care-proc-rep-V4.pdf

DAFNE achievements in reducing HbA1c in type one diabetics

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/early/2012/05/20/dc11-1579.abstract

Over a 1 year period average HbA1c fell from 8.51% to 8.24%

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22132868

Over a 7 year period average HbA1c fell from 8.6% to 8.3%
    OldTech
    OldTech

Male Posts : 81

The $64,000 question is why is this tragic situation allowed to continue ? Empty Re: The $64,000 question is why is this tragic situation allowed to continue ?

Post by OldTech Thu Aug 21 2014, 04:55

I was going to add USA statistics for diabetes blood glucose control, but so far I have not been successful in finding any such statistics. I did a Google search and came up empty handed. I did find stats on who gets diabetes and stats on complications by $ amount in the expected locations (ADA, CDC). Does anybody have a reference?
    Eddie
    Eddie

The $64,000 question is why is this tragic situation allowed to continue ? Empty Re: The $64,000 question is why is this tragic situation allowed to continue ?

Post by Eddie Thu Aug 21 2014, 05:23

Mean/Median A1c Among Adults with Diagnosed Diabetes, United States, 1988–1994 to 1999–2006

http://www.cdc.gov/diabetes/statistics/a1c/a1c_mean_median.htm

Kind regards Eddie
    Xyz

Female Posts : 66

Post by Xyz Thu Aug 21 2014, 07:13

Those are appalling stats.

And it's not helped by the widespread belief that we should keep our HbA1cs high to avoid hypos and lack of hypo awareness.

No, we should keep our BGs steady, near normal, and avoid hypos.

Quite a different thing.
    Avocado Sevenfold
    Avocado Sevenfold

Female Posts : 258

Post by Avocado Sevenfold Thu Aug 21 2014, 07:46

I am T2 and was told at a recent clinic appointment that they would be happy with me having a hba1c up to 50. I certainly wouldn't be.
    sanguine
    sanguine

Male Posts : 395

Post by sanguine Thu Aug 21 2014, 09:41

Eddie do the stats reveal percentages of worsening vs improving HbA1cs, i.e. how many people are lowering their numbers vs how many are getting worse?
    mo1905
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2305

Post by mo1905 Thu Aug 21 2014, 11:02

Even T1's are encouraged to expect and even aim for higher BG levels to avoid possibilities of hypo. Surely we should all be aiming for as near non-diabetic levels as we can safely maintain ?
    Scandichic
    Scandichic

Female Posts : 109

Post by Scandichic Thu Aug 21 2014, 11:51

Am dreading my next hba1c. Eating habits are same. I am an honest person and have never deluded myself about size or weight but my day to day levels have gone from 6 to 7. Started with heat and work is stressful as I have to teach maths next year so I have had to revise! I am 7 now. How? 7.5 fasting. 8 2 hours after brekkie and I eat one sausage, scrambled egg made with cream and some mushrooms. I have recently plateaued and put on 2lbs whilst at Center parks. Next day had upset stomach and lost 2lbs day after. Lost a further 1lb today. Stopped taking met for 4 weeks on docs advice but have gone and got more and told doc that I think I still need it. Been taking it for 4 days now.
    mo1905
    mo1905

Post by mo1905 Thu Aug 21 2014, 17:01

What meds you taking Scandi ?
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Thu Aug 21 2014, 17:57

sanguine wrote:Eddie do the stats reveal percentages of worsening vs improving HbA1cs, i.e. how many people are lowering their numbers vs how many are getting worse?

I have never seen the data presented in the way that would answer your questions Rod. A couple of observations I have made. 1. Why no numbers for people with HbA1c better than 6.5 2. Every Doctor must have people on their books with HbA1c numbers in the mid 4 to 5's could it be they don't want these people in the audits ? Maybe someone in a high place may ask "what are these people doing differently" Now we know almost all success reported on various forums comes about by low carb, and we can't have the low carb high fat munchers showing the Pro's the way can we.

This can also be a bit counter productive, if you are looking to tie in, or sell your forum to big pharma. Nod nod wink wink and strictly on the QT.

Kind regards Eddie
    cold ethyl

Post by cold ethyl Thu Aug 21 2014, 20:17

Scandichic, do you use a Codefree meter? Just a particular batch number is reading about .5 higher than other batches. I think Andrew Colvin has posted about it with the relevant number and has checked them against various strips and meters. It maybe that you are using them?
    I don't think that Metformin has that dramatic an effect on BS so I'd be surprised if it was just stopping them that lifted you- I can't say I noticed a massive change going from one to two then to three. Having a tummy upset possibly would and stress from being away so maybe just try and relax for a few days and see if that helps at all. It's hard not to always be thinking diabetes , but I'm sure popping it on a slight back burner in your mind would help.
    mo1905
    mo1905

Post by mo1905 Thu Aug 21 2014, 20:25

I agree, Metformin doesn't make much difference to BG levels.
    Alanp35

Male Posts : 2

Post by Alanp35 Thu Aug 21 2014, 20:31

Avocado Sevenfold wrote:I am T2 and was told at a recent clinic appointment that they would be happy with me having a hba1c up to 50.  I certainly wouldn't be.
    I'm amazed at this. My DNS said that my A1C was good at 61. am I missing something ?
    mo1905
    mo1905

Post by mo1905 Thu Aug 21 2014, 20:36

Alanp35 wrote:
    Avocado Sevenfold wrote:I am T2 and was told at a recent clinic appointment that they would be happy with me having a hba1c up to 50.  I certainly wouldn't be.
    I'm amazed at this.  My DNS said that my A1C was good at 61.  am I missing something ?

That's a little higher than I'd like Alan ! Your nurse may be happy but it's your body, not his/hers. Certainly nothing to worry over but I'd certainly be looking to reduce this if possible. If you need any advice regarding diet/exercise or anything, please ask. Take care, Mo
    Alanp35

Male Posts : 2

Post by Alanp35 Thu Aug 21 2014, 20:43

That's what I thought - next review is 16 September which is 12 months since I "got" this,so I hope to find out then. Not holding my breath though or expecting too much either.
    mo1905
    mo1905

Post by mo1905 Thu Aug 21 2014, 20:48

Alanp35 wrote:That's what I thought - next review is 16 September which is 12 months since I "got" this,so I hope to find out then.  Not holding my breath though or expecting too much either.

Still early days Alan but we're here to help. Don't just accept what you're told as gospel. The targets "they" are happy with are not good long term.
    Scandichic
    Scandichic

Post by Scandichic Thu Aug 21 2014, 21:28

mo1905 wrote:What meds you taking Scandi ?
    Metformin. Gave up tonight and had marks dine for 2. All good apart from the 4 profiteroles. Then went for an hours walk. 6.6 after 11/2 hours. Lowest it's been all day yet ate really LCHF till profiteroles. No sense! Said I'm only human. To which mr scandi retorted yes and I don't need my toes. Do you remember that thread about having a day off? I wish!  What a Face 
    Scandichic
    Scandichic

Post by Scandichic Thu Aug 21 2014, 21:30

cold ethyl wrote:Scandichic, do you use a Codefree meter? Just a particular batch number is reading about .5 higher than other batches. I think Andrew Colvin has posted about it with the relevant number and has checked them against various strips and meters. It maybe that you are using them?
    I don't think that Metformin has that dramatic an effect on BS so I'd be surprised if it was just stopping them that lifted you- I can't say I noticed a massive change going from one to two then to three. Having a tummy upset possibly would and stress from being away so maybe just try and relax for a few days and see if that helps at all. It's hard not to always be thinking diabetes , but I'm sure popping it on a slight back burner in your mind would help.
    Can't blame it on code free as I have been using the nexus from docs. Bugger diabetes!
    mo1905
    mo1905

Post by mo1905 Thu Aug 21 2014, 21:58

6.6 after profiteroles ?? I'd be happy with that :-)
    Scandichic
    Scandichic

Post by Scandichic Fri Aug 22 2014, 09:04

mo1905 wrote:6.6 after profiteroles ?? I'd be happy with that :-)
    Hubbie now being merciless! Has coined phrase " a moment on the lips, a leg off at the hips" the git! Now he and my eldest are making jokes about if this happened, I'd no longer be able to count to 20!
    zand
    zand

Female Posts : 1940

Post by zand Fri Aug 22 2014, 09:37

Scandichic wrote:
    Hubbie now being merciless! Has coined phrase " a moment on the lips, a leg off at the hips" the git! Now he and my eldest are making jokes about if this happened, I'd no longer be able to count to 20!

Aw Scandi, I had a few suggestions on how you could punish them for being so horrid, but on reflection maybe it's best just to think these things rather than post! I wouldn't want to have to leave a forum so soon after joining. Wink Maybe the revenge shopping idea? I'm sure there's something you must really need that hubby can pay for? Smile 
    Scandichic
    Scandichic

Post by Scandichic Fri Aug 22 2014, 09:45

zand wrote:
    Scandichic wrote:

Aw Scandi, I had a few suggestions on how you could punish them for being so horrid, but on reflection maybe it's best just to think these things rather than post!  I wouldn't want to have to leave a forum so soon after joining. Wink Maybe the revenge shopping idea?  I'm sure there's something you must really need that hubby can pay for? Smile 
    This is normal banter in the Scandi household. But revenge shopping! Now you're talking! Wonder if there are anymore bargains to be had in the 70% off monsoon sale? Very Happy 
    Avocado Sevenfold
    Avocado Sevenfold

Female Posts : 258

Post by Avocado Sevenfold Fri Aug 22 2014, 16:33

Alanp35 wrote:
    I'm amazed at this.  My DNS said that my A1C was good at 61.  am I missing something ?

Yes, sorry Alan. The missing info is that my last two tests were 38. If it jumped up to 50 I would be very worried.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19 2024, 05:35