THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

+4
beardie
Paul1976
cold ethyl
mo1905
8 posters

Lamb Lamb and more Lamb Recipe Ideas to Share!

Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Lamb Lamb and more Lamb Recipe Ideas to Share! Empty Lamb Lamb and more Lamb Recipe Ideas to Share!

Post by Jan1 Tue Jan 06 2015, 11:14

Do you like lamb?
    Do you think it tasty?

Well, I thought it may be a good idea to start a recipe section dedicated to lamb recipes .......

Please share any favourites you may have too.  sunny

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Lamb Lamb and more Lamb Recipe Ideas to Share! Empty Re: Lamb Lamb and more Lamb Recipe Ideas to Share!

Post by Jan1 Tue Jan 06 2015, 11:24

Mediterranean vegetables with lamb
    Lamb can be a little more expensive but this 'one-pot' packed with veg and tender lamb will keep the whole family satisfied. It takes approx.15mins to prepare and approx. 30 minutes cooking time. The other great thing is that it works out at 11grams of carbs per serving. What could be better .....take a look at this great recipe now.

Ingredients:
    Serves Four
    1 tbsp olive oil
    250g lean lamb fillet, trimmed of any fat and thinly sliced
    140g shallots, halved
    2 large courgettes, cut into chunks
    ½ tsp each ground cumin, paprika and ground coriander
    1 red, 1 orange and 1 green pepper, cut into chunks
    1 garlic clove, sliced
    150ml vegetable stock
    250g cherry tomatoes
    handful coriander leaves, roughly chopped

Method:
    1. Heat the oil in a large, heavy-based frying pan. Cook the lamb and shallots over a high heat for 2-3 mins until golden. Add the courgettes and stir-fry for 3-4 mins until beginning to soften.

2. Add the spices and toss well, then add the peppers and garlic. Reduce the heat and cook over a moderate heat for 4-5 mins until they start to soften.

3. Pour in the stock and stir to coat. Add the tomatoes, season, then cover with a lid and simmer for 15 mins, stirring occasionally until the veg are tender. Stir through the coriander to serve.

Some may want to cook their lamb a little longer, experiment and see what you think. You may also wish to use slightly different vegetables, some mushrooms for instance. There are not really any hard and fast rules to this lovely recipe.

I'd serve mine with buttery mashed swede. How about you?

Makes a great weekend or mid-week dish.

The original recipe idea can be found here http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1162648/mediterranean-vegetables-with-lamb  

All the best Jan
    mo1905
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2305

Lamb Lamb and more Lamb Recipe Ideas to Share! Empty Re: Lamb Lamb and more Lamb Recipe Ideas to Share!

Post by mo1905 Tue Jan 06 2015, 18:26

Lamb is my favourite meat and there have been some decent offers recently in Sainsburys and Tesco. Had a leg of lamb the other day and threw the rest in a curry the next day. Love it !
    cold ethyl

Post by cold ethyl Tue Jan 06 2015, 21:05

I love lamb but mr e not so keen.
    I often do a small leg of lamb in slow cooker( aldi do them reasonably priced) - cut some slashes in meat and poke in slivers of garlic , pop in slow cooker with an onion sliced, few slices carrot and a tsp red currant jelly and sprinkle with dried rosemary and add a large cupful of water. Season with black pepper. Cook on high for 8 hrs or until meat starts to fall off. Remove and thicken juices with bit of gravy granules if you can manage them. Serve with roast swede, green beans and cauli cheese. Any left is delicious chopped up with the gravy and veg and made into a shepherd's pie with a cauli cheese mash topping.

Lamb mince is lovely cooked with cumin, garlic, coriander , finely chopped green chilli and onion till cooked through. Stir in a small handful chopped mint and coriander to wilt then top with diced feta and serve with green beans and salad.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Mon Jan 12 2015, 18:38

cold ethyl wrote:I love lamb but mr e not so keen.
    I often do a small leg of lamb in slow cooker( aldi do them reasonably priced) - cut some slashes in meat and poke in slivers of garlic , pop in slow cooker with an onion sliced, few slices carrot and a tsp red currant  jelly and sprinkle with dried rosemary and add a large cupful of water. Season with black pepper. Cook on high for 8 hrs or until meat starts to fall off. Remove and thicken juices with bit of gravy granules if you can manage them. Serve with roast swede, green beans and cauli cheese. Any left is delicious chopped up with the gravy and veg and made into a shepherd's pie with a cauli cheese mash topping.

Lamb mince is lovely cooked with cumin, garlic, coriander , finely chopped green chilli and onion till cooked through. Stir in a small handful chopped mint and coriander to wilt then top with diced feta and serve with green beans and salad.

This sounds very tasty...... thanks.

I don't have a slow cooker but so many people have said how brilliant they are - and of course any meat must come out lovely and tender Smile

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Mon Jan 12 2015, 18:47

Lamb Lamb and more Lamb Recipe Ideas to Share! Heartylambstew

Memories of my mum's lovely lamb stew came rushing into my mind when I spotted this great classic 'one-pot' meal. It is an easy answer to a delicious mid-week, or any time meal. It's hearty, filling, warming and packed full of veggies - the carb count is 19 carbs per serving, so it may be too high in carbs for some, but would fit nicely into my menu plans. See what you think.  

Ingredients:
    Serves Four
    1 tbsp vegetable oil
    500g cubed stewing lamb
    1 onion, thickly sliced
    2 carrots, thickly sliced
    2 leeks, thickly sliced
    400ml hot vegetable or chicken stock
    1 tsp dried rosemary or 1 fresh sprig
    400g cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
    Optional - crusty bread or boiled potatoes to serve

Method:
    1. Heat the oil in a large casserole. Tip in the lamb and cook for 5 mins until any liquid has disappeared, then add the onion, carrots and leeks. Cook for 5 mins more, stirring often, until the veg is starting to soften.
    2. Pour over the stock, add the rosemary, cover with a lid and cook over a low heat for 1 hr. Stir in the beans and cook for 30 mins more, topping up with water if necessary, until the lamb is tender and cooked through.
    3. Optional - serve with some crusty bread or potatoes, if you like, but as I am LCHF buttery mashed swede would be more suitable.

With great tasting meals like this winter-time looks better by the day.

The original recipe idea can be found here http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/67604/hearty-lamb-stew

All the best Jan
    mo1905
    mo1905

Post by mo1905 Mon Jan 12 2015, 21:51

We had slow roast beef stew tonight. Stew is one of those meals that I never actually fancy but when I eat it I can't understand why we don't have it more often ! Lovely this time of year. Just whack it all in the casserole pot and leave it to bubble away nicely.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Mon Jan 12 2015, 21:55

I think there is something good about this time of year ........ and it's eating casseroles or stews. They are just made for winter (of course if you are in Australia this time of year would be salads)

Your beef stew sounded tasty. Meat and vegetables - lower carb ones of course - good tasting food.

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Tue Feb 10 2015, 21:48

Lamb Lamb and more Lamb Recipe Ideas to Share! Lamb%2Bcutlets%2Bherbs

I love healthy Mediterranean-style tray bakes. I adapted this recipe from the original to make it more low carb, but the original idea is linked below. If you like lamb I'm sure you will enjoy this.

Herbed Lamb Cutlets with Roasted Mediterranean Vegetables

Ingredients
    Serves Four
    2 peppers, any colour, deseeded and cut into chunky pieces
    2 courgettes, sliced into chunks
    1 red onion, cut into wedges
    1 tbsp olive oil
    8 lean lamb cutlets
    1 tbsp thyme leaf, chopped
    2 tbsp mint leaves, chopped

Method:
    1. Heat oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7. Put the peppers, courgettes and onion on a large baking tray and drizzle over the oil. Season with lots of ground black pepper. Roast for 25 mins.

2.Meanwhile, trim the lamb of as much fat as possible (although if you prefer leave it on). Mix the herbs with a few twists of ground black pepper and pat all over the lamb.

3.Take the vegetables out of the oven, turn over and push to one side of the tray. Place the cutlets on the hot tray and return to the oven for 10 mins.

4.Turn the cutlets and cook for a further 10 mins or until the vegetables and lamb are tender and lightly charred. Mix everything on the tray and serve.

Serve with some buttery mashed swede, or some small chunky pieces of roasted celeriac bites.

Original recipe can be found here:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2220661/herbed-lamb-cutlets-with-roasted-vegetables

All the best Jan
    mo1905
    mo1905

Post by mo1905 Wed Feb 11 2015, 08:23

Lovely Jan, lamb is my favourite meat, however cooked.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Tue Feb 24 2015, 17:23

Another great lamb recipe to share Beer-braised lamb shanks

Lamb Lamb and more Lamb Recipe Ideas to Share! 482128-1-eng-GB_lamb-shanks-470x540

Slow cooking meat makes it melt-in-the-mouth tender. This simple lamb shank recipe can also be made in a slow cooker, at 5.8g carb per serving a winner.
    If living the LCHF lifestyle just serve with buttery mashed swede - not potato.

Ingredients Serves 6

3 tbsp olive oil
    6 lamb shanks
    1 large onion, finely sliced
    1 celery stick, finely chopped
    1 carrot, finely diced
    2 garlic cloves, finely sliced
    500ml bottle pale or golden ale
    300ml lamb or chicken stock, hot
    2 bay leaves
    5 fresh thyme sprigs, leaves stripped
    Knob of unsalted butter
    Handful flat leaf parsley, chopped

Method

1. Heat half the oil in a large, heavy-based casserole (with a tight-fitting lid) over a medium heat. Add the lamb shanks and cook to brown all over for a few minutes. Remove from the pan and set aside.

2. Heat the remaining oil in the pot and fry the onion, celery, carrot and garlic over a gentle heat for 10 minutes until really soft and beginning to colour. Return the lamb shanks to the pot and pour in the ale and stock. Season well, add the herbs, bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer, cover with the lid and cook over a low heat for 2½ hours, turning halfway through, until the lamb shanks are 'meltingly' tender.

3. Remove the lamb to a warmed serving dish and keep warm under foil. Discard the bay leaves. Bring the sauce to the boil and reduce it by half until it’s nice and glossy.

4. Whisk in the butter and return the lamb to the casserole to warm through, if necessary. Sprinkle with the parsley and serve with buttery mashed swede.

Note: To cook this recipe in a SLOW COOKER brown the lamb shanks all over in a little oil and place in the slow cooker. Fry the onion, celery, carrot and garlic for a couple of minutes and add to the slow cooker. Add all the remaining ingredients except for the butter and parsley, season well. cover with the lid and cook on low for 7-8 hours. Whisk the butter into the sauce with the parsley and serve. (you can reduce the sauce in a pan if you like).

Of course you may like to enjoy a glass of red wine to accompany this great tasting meal.

Original recipe idea is here http://www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk/recipes/beer-braised-lamb-shanks/

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Fri Apr 10 2015, 12:56

Lamb Lamb and more Lamb Recipe Ideas to Share! Lamb

Lamb cutlets with pistachio & herb dressing

Simplicity is key with this romantic dish, it's ready in under 20 minutes, so you can spend more time with your partner / guest. If you are counting carbs, it's a winner at just 2 grams carb per serving.

Ingredients - Serves Two
    4 French-trimmed lamb cutlets (you can ask your butcher to do this)
    2 tsp olive oil
    ½ tsp chilli flakes
    For the dressing
    25g pistachios
    1½ tbsp olive oil
    handful flat-leaf parsley leaves, torn
    2 dill sprigs, roughly torn

Method
    1. For the dressing, put the pistachios in a frying pan over a low-medium heat, and toss them around until golden and toasted. Roughly chop, then tip them into a bowl with the olive oil and herbs. Season lightly with salt and set aside.
    2. Rub the lamb with the oil. Bash the chilli and a little salt to a rough powder, then sprinkle over the lamb. Heat a barbecue to hot, or a griddle pan over a high heat, and cook the cutlets for 2 mins on each side for medium, or longer if you prefer your meat well done. Transfer to a serving plate and spoon on the pistachio & herb dressing. Serve with a simple courgette & anchovy salad.

...... and how about a nice glass of rosé wine to accompany the meal ?

Original recipe here:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipe/lamb-cutlets-pistachio-herb-dressing

AND TO GO WITH THIS DISH ! This goes great - something that little bit different - maybe?

Lamb Lamb and more Lamb Recipe Ideas to Share! Courgette-salad

Courgette & anchovy salad

A light green side salad pepped up with lemon zest and salty anchovies - great served with meat and fish dishes alike. It goes well with lamb cutlets with pistachio and herb dressing.

Ingredients - Serves Two
    ¼ tsp fennel seed
    juice and zest ½ lemon
    1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
    1 garlic clove, crushed
    1 large courgette, thinly sliced on the diagonal
    50g rocket
    2 anchovy fillets, halved

Method.
    1. Toast the fennel seeds in a small frying pan over a low-medium heat for 1 min, or until they release their aroma. Bash them lightly using a pestle and mortar. Mix the lemon juice, fennel seeds, oil and garlic in a large bowl, then stir in the courgette. Season and set aside to marinate for 30 mins.
    2. Toss through the rocket and transfer to a platter. Top with the anchovy fillets. Scatter with lemon zest and serve with an extra drizzle of olive oil.

This salad works out at 4 grams carb per serving, see the original recipe here:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipe/courgette-anchovy-salad

Bon Appetit

All the best Jan

flower
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2439

Post by Paul1976 Fri Apr 10 2015, 13:02

Yummy!! If I could afford it I could live on lamb for dinner everyday! Favourite meat! Smile
    beardie
    beardie

Post by beardie Fri Apr 10 2015, 17:50

I used to love lamb. When we went out to eat it did not matter what else was on the menu, I would have any lamb dish available.
    Since everything started going wrong with me 15 months ago (which I now refer to as "The Event"), I find red meat has a sort of metal taste. Sad
    mo1905
    mo1905

Post by mo1905 Fri Apr 10 2015, 17:55

Lamb is half price at the minute in Sainsburys.
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Post by Paul1976 Fri Apr 10 2015, 17:59

beardie wrote:I used to love lamb. When we went out to eat it did not matter what else was on the menu, I would have any lamb dish available.
    Since everything started going wrong with me 15 months ago (which I now refer to as "The Event"), I find red meat has a sort of metal taste. Sad

Just before I got diagnosed with low B12-Everything tasted metallic to me too and especially red meat!,I wonder if your taste issues are to do with your B12 deficiency as well?
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Post by Paul1976 Fri Apr 10 2015, 18:00

mo1905 wrote:Lamb is half price at the minute in Sainsburys.

Whole legs included in the deal too Mo? thumb-up
    beardie
    beardie

Post by beardie Fri Apr 10 2015, 18:04

Paul1976 wrote:
    beardie wrote:I used to love lamb. When we went out to eat it did not matter what else was on the menu, I would have any lamb dish available.

Just before I got diagnosed with low B12-Everything tasted metallic to me too and especially red meat!,I wonder if your taste issues are to do with your B12 deficiency as well?
    Does it still taste that way to you? I haven't tried it for months.
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Post by Paul1976 Fri Apr 10 2015, 18:05

It took a few months but its back to normal now luckily...Might be worth trying again now you're being treated.
    beardie
    beardie

Post by beardie Fri Apr 10 2015, 18:07

I am going out tomorrow. I might give it a try. thumb-up
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Post by Paul1976 Fri Apr 10 2015, 18:09

beardie wrote:I am going out tomorrow. I might give it a try. thumb-up

Hopefully you'll be able to enjoy it again,good luck and let us know how you got on with it! Smile
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Post by Eddie Fri Apr 10 2015, 18:15

I am not a lover of lamb, but last week we stayed at my brothers house, and his wife cooked a whole leg of lamb very slow cooked in wine, vegetables and herbs for around six hours. The meat just fell apart and tasted fantastic. I am told it was a Jamie Oliver recipe. This low carb lark is one tough gig eh.

Which can be found here. http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/lamb-recipes/slow-cooked-shoulder-of-lamb-with-roasted-vegetables/#DsS6GmcWvqfg9hEd.97

Lamb Lamb and more Lamb Recipe Ideas to Share! 501_1_1350907324_lrg
    mo1905
    mo1905

Post by mo1905 Fri Apr 10 2015, 18:17

Crackin' pic Cannon ! You know any photographers :-)
    That leg reminds me a little of my skirting lol :-)
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Post by Paul1976 Fri Apr 10 2015, 18:18

mo1905 wrote:Crackin' pic Cannon ! You know any photographers :-)
    That leg reminds me a little of my skirting lol :-)

PMSL!! I just don't think our skirtings will taste as good though! jimlad
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Post by Eddie Fri Apr 10 2015, 18:23

You two buggers want locking up, what kind of example are you setting for the members affraid

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19 2024, 08:33