THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

+4
zand
mo1905
Jan1
horfilmania
8 posters

Horfilmania's Journey

mo1905
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2305

Horfilmania's Journey - Page 3 Empty Re: Horfilmania's Journey

Post by mo1905 Fri Mar 13 2015, 11:50

What diabetic forum Horf ;-)
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Post by Eddie Fri Mar 13 2015, 13:09

horfilmania wrote:
    eddie1 wrote:Nice to see you over here Horf, can you make a bit more effort please and post more often.

I know, I'm a cheeky bastard, getting me coat.affraid

Eddie, I'd love to post here more often but I often have trouble understanding you people who live on some island in the Northern Atlantic. Plus I'm not diabetic so can't comment on diabetic meds, strategies, plus I don't know anything about what's going on at some Diabetic Forum on previously referenced island.

However, I will do my best since you asked me so nicely.

"I'd love to post here more often but I often have trouble understanding you people who live on some island in the Northern Atlantic." Don't worry about that Horf, most of us don't understand the average Brit, most of us are barking mad, most reckon I am certifiable, who can blame them.woot

Anyway great as always to see you over here.
    horfilmania
    horfilmania

Female Posts : 68

Post by horfilmania Sun Mar 15 2015, 17:32

eddie1 wrote:...most reckon I am certifiable, who can blame them.woot

Well, at least you are consistent Eddy! That's what we love about you! Razz

Anyway, was reading on the another thread about helping people. Since I have not actually achieved 100% success and therefore don't qualify as a poster child for this way of eating there are several pluses to this way of eating already:

1. I have lost 35 lbs
    2. I have lost my constant depression, arthritis, migraines
    3. I have dumped all my medications except my one asthma med
    4. I have never felt better
    5. I have converted my son, sister and brother (my immediate family) to this way of eating and am looking forward to all of them outliving me as I am the oldest. The fact that they have also shed a lot of weight and resolved most of their health issues makes me feel blessed.
    6. I have converted only one friend to this way of eating. The low success rate is due to the fact that I have few friends and their advanced age makes them more resistant to dietary changes.
    7. This way of eating has prompted me to join low-carb, zero carb and diabetic forums where I have met some very supportive (Jan comes to mind) and funny people (Eddie comes to mind).

All in all, this way of eating makes me happy and I look forward to a long and happy life. The sadness comes when I think of all the people who are so resistant to change that they will not try this way of eating, even for 30 days, to see how beneficial it is. 30 days LCHF will not make your heart and kidneys explode.

To bravely go where no man has gone before is exciting and scarey but some of us have already done this and blazed a trail. There is no need to fear this way of eating for that reason.

Last edited by horfilmania on Sun Mar 15 2015, 17:48; edited 1 time in total
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Sun Mar 15 2015, 17:37

horfilmania wrote:

Who is this f**king Eddy geezer, sound like a complete nutter to me. lol!

Eddie
    mo1905
    mo1905

Post by mo1905 Sun Mar 15 2015, 18:49

horfilmania wrote:

Anyway, was reading on the another thread about helping people. Since I have not actually achieved 100% success and therefore don't qualify as a poster child for this way of eating there are several pluses to this way of eating already:

1. I have lost 35 lbs
    5. I have converted my son, sister and brother (my immediate family) to this way of eating and am looking forward to all of them outliving me as I am the oldest. The fact that they have also shed a lot of weight and resolved most of their health issues makes me feel blessed.
    6. I have converted only one friend to this way of eating. The low success rate is due to the fact that I have few friends and their advanced age makes them more resistant to dietary changes.
    7. This way of eating has prompted me to join low-carb, zero carb and diabetic forums where I have met some very supportive (Jan comes to mind) and funny people (Eddie comes to mind).

All in all, this way of eating makes me happy and I look forward to a long and happy life. The sadness comes when I think of all the people who are so resistant to change that they will not try this way of eating, even for 30 days, to see how beneficial it is. 30 days LCHF will not make your heart and kidneys explode.

To bravely go where no man has gone before is exciting and scarey but some of us have already done this and blazed a trail. There is no need to fear this way of eating for that reason.

That's the sort of post we like to read ! It doesn't matter how much you read on the internet about the latest scientific studies or new "fad" diets, results like yours from real people are what counts. Not many may post but I promise others will read this and take note.
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Sun Mar 15 2015, 19:08

horfilmania wrote:

1. I have lost 35 lbs

What a post, brilliant, welcome to the low carb Hezbollah, our Jihad against junk food, misinformation and out and out lies.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Post by Jan1 Mon Mar 16 2015, 19:27

horfilmania wrote:

1. I have lost 35 lbs

Thank you 'Horf' and well done to you .........  sunny

All the best Jan
    zand
    zand

Female Posts : 1940

Post by zand Mon Mar 16 2015, 20:55

Yes thanks Horf. That was a brilliant post. Very inspiring Smile
    horfilmania
    horfilmania

Post by horfilmania Mon Mar 16 2015, 22:33

zand wrote:Yes thanks Horf.  That was a brilliant post.  Very inspiring Smile
    Thank you folks but I'm preaching to the choir here. Wish we could reach those "others" who really need it.
    horfilmania
    horfilmania

Post by horfilmania Wed Mar 18 2015, 05:35

Just posting to say that I, surprisingly, have nothing to say really, except venture a huge hello from the colonies.

Decided to go out tomorrow and visit my best friend's Aunt Mary who is 96 and loves take-out coffee and donuts, which I will bring to her. My friend lives in another province and can't always visit her aunt. And Aunt Mary is the only person on this earth that I would knowingly bring donuts to. Everyone else would get a lecture instead.

Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Wed Mar 18 2015, 13:11

horfilmania wrote:Just posting to say that I, surprisingly, have nothing to say really, except venture a huge hello from the colonies.

Decided to go out tomorrow and visit my best friend's Aunt Mary who is 96 and loves take-out coffee and donuts, which I will bring to her. My friend lives in another province and can't always visit her aunt.  And Aunt Mary is the only person on this earth that I would knowingly bring donuts to. Everyone else would get a lecture instead.

Nice one Horf I see what you are saying. Graham's much loved Mum lived well into her nineties. Still mentally perfect and up until the last month or so, living on her own with much help from Graham. No one ever had a more devoted son. She developed type two a few years before she passed away, and loved her biscuits and sweets. Graham pretty much bit his tongue, why deny a very old person some of the pleasures in her life. That being said, she had cooked with lard and butter all her life and had a typical meat and three veg meal and never thought for one minute dietary fat was a health problem. As I said well into her nineties, that sort of grub clearly never done her any harm, but of course she did not live on take aways, coke, factory produced ready meals and other junk.
    mo1905
    mo1905

Post by mo1905 Wed Mar 18 2015, 22:42

At 96, donuts are well deserved :-)
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2439

Post by Paul1976 Wed Mar 18 2015, 22:45

Too right!! If I ever make it 96 I'm bringing back the shortbread! Very Happy
    horfilmania
    horfilmania

Post by horfilmania Thu Mar 19 2015, 15:54

Paul wrote:Too right!! If I ever make it 96 I'm bringing back the shortbread! Very Happy

Me too! Those who live well into their 90's began their life eating real food and built up a good foundation for health before all this low-fat high carb nonsense became prevalent.

Well I'm happy to report that I have lost 6 lbs of my 20 lb challenge that I committed to ages ago. There were a few bumps in the road and it's moving very slowly but what's the rush? Cool

Aunt Mary is doing well and she was not in her room when my neighbour Sandi and I arrived. I found her taking a walk in her wheelchair using her feet to move forward. She was very happy to see us and we had a grand visit. She was 82 yesterday. Last time I visited her she was 93 so she's getting younger. Wish I could do that.

My neighbor Sandi is slightly younger than me, has a lot of health issues including MS and was almost evicted from her flat this week. I stepped in, paid her back rent and have been buying her groceries as she was not eating because she had no money. However, I've been providing her with "my" kind of food, eggs, meat, cheese, roast beef, and she's losing weight and feels wonderful. MS had caused her to be tired all the time. Now she's a "white tornado" with lots of energy and she actually went out to see Aunt Mary without her cane. I'm so happy she is getting better and in such a short time.

If I can help even one person regain their health I consider myself blessed.
    horfilmania
    horfilmania

Post by horfilmania Fri Apr 17 2015, 04:24

I've been so busy with my planned move to another province, visiting with friends before I leave, down-sizing, taking my good stuff to charities. Then my cousin, aged 70, died this week. Then I got a card from another cousin in Ukraine today outlining the hopelessness of life in Ukraine while Putin strives to destroy the country, the language, the culture and the identity of Ukrainians. Two of my cousins' children have been drafted into the army. That really put all my petty stresses and problems into perspective. Glad to be alive and living in a relatively free country. Sure the politicians are crooks but it hasn't deteriorated to the point where there's a war and there are no troops attacking our homes and schools.

So I haven't been here much lately. Carry on without me for a while.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Fri Apr 17 2015, 13:53

horfilmania wrote:I've been so busy with my planned move to another province, visiting with friends before I leave, down-sizing, taking my good stuff to charities. Then my cousin, aged 70, died this week. Then I got a card from another cousin in Ukraine today outlining the hopelessness of life in Ukraine while Putin strives to destroy the country, the language, the culture and the identity of Ukrainians. Two of my cousins' children have been drafted into the army. That really put all my petty stresses and problems into perspective. Glad to be alive and living in a relatively free country. Sure the politicians are crooks but it hasn't deteriorated to the point where there's a war and there are no troops attacking our homes and schools.

So I haven't been here much lately. Carry on without me for a while.

Hi Horf

So sorry to hear about your cousins death - sincere condolences to you and the family.
    It can not be easy for you to hear from family members in Ukraine - it does seem to be getting worse out there.

What with moving too !  I can quite understand your stress levels may be a little high ..... but do take care and sign in with us again when you have a little more time.

My thoughts are with you  flower

All the best Jan
    horfilmania
    horfilmania

Post by horfilmania Fri Jul 10 2015, 00:42

Well I've finally settled into my new place and bad luck seems to travel with me.
    1. This place is known for its rain. Haven't had any in the almost 2 months I've been here.
    2. The lack of rain is creating forest fires and there's one raging across the strait and smoke is blowing directly off the water to me.
    3. Haven't been able to do a lot of walking on the beach due to the smoke.

I can't remember how much I weighed when I started the 20 lb challenge but I'm finally at the lowest I've been in about 4 years. Guess that's worth celebrating. I've fallen into a niche that is working for me. Very little carb, lots of meat and eggs and a few peanuts, eating once a day usually.
    zand
    zand

Female Posts : 1940

Post by zand Fri Jul 10 2015, 07:49

Well done on the weight loss horf! Smile Let's hope you get rain soon eh?
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Fri Jul 10 2015, 19:30

horfilmania wrote:Well I've finally settled into my new place and bad luck seems to travel with me.
    1. This place is known for its rain. Haven't had any in the almost 2 months I've been here.
    2. The lack of rain is creating forest fires and there's one raging across the strait and smoke is blowing directly off the water to me.
    3. Haven't been able to do a lot of walking on the beach due to the smoke.

I can't remember how much I weighed when I started the 20 lb challenge but I'm finally at the lowest I've been in about 4 years. Guess that's worth celebrating. I've fallen into a niche that is working for me. Very little carb, lots of meat and eggs and a few peanuts, eating once a day usually.

Hi Horf ... glad to hear you've settled into your new place, but obviously sorry to hear about the lack of rain. I was only commenting, to another blogging friend, the other day that the weather globally seems to be doing some strange things at the moment - not too sure what caused it but we are left trying to make the best of things. Hopefully things may be put right soon and you will be able to do a lot of walking on the beach (which sounds idyllic).

Well done on your weight loss and finding 'that niche' which suits you.  sunny

Have a good weekend and perhaps I will try a rain dance for you - it may just work, you never know  lol!

Take Care

All the best Jan

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content