THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

+4
zand
mo1905
Jan1
horfilmania
8 posters

Horfilmania's Journey

Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Horfilmania's Journey - Page 2 Empty Re: Horfilmania's Journey

Post by Jan1 Sat Jan 10 2015, 13:59

horfilmania wrote:No problems, the more the merrier. I'm still on plan and re-losing the weight I gained during the 1st week of January.

Alcohol is not an issue for me, can't stand the stuff so no temptation at all.

Weather is still in the minus 20's C and had to replace my car battery again this year. Found out the plug-in the the parking lot didn't work so now am plugging in the neighbour's outlet. Thank God I'm moving to another province in the spring where the weather is a bit milder. Also, my body can't take any more falls on the ice and snow. If I fall again, I won't be able to get up and my knees are completely shot.

Hi Horf - I've been away a few days so just catching up with all the news, thread de-railing, and goodness knows what else lol!

However, great to hear that after your birthday bash you are back on plan ......brrr -20 not fun affraid

Hope your move in the Spring goes well - moving home can be stressful but on a positive note so rewarding.

All the best Jan
    horfilmania
    horfilmania

Female Posts : 68

Post by horfilmania Fri Jan 16 2015, 00:05

Finally dropped 1 lb yesterday. I'm still doing keto and IF and fasted for 40 hours and broke my fast yesterday at noon. Made some borscht and have enough for about 5 days. It's pretty low-carb friendly.

Do you find that you can make very tasty meals but no matter how tasty they still can't compete with your Mother's?

So that's 1 of 20 gone now.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Fri Jan 16 2015, 13:13

Hi Horf - yes certainly 1 of 20 gone ........  so good news Very Happy

I think we all tend to think very favourably of our mothers cooking. I can remember lovely lamb stews, beef casseroles, Sunday Roasts and her homemade apple pies or crumbles were simply amazing.  

Food over the years has of course changed and shopping practices have too - I do think food tastes completely different as modern farming / food processing has taken it's toll. If you can buy food from farmers market or organic it is invariably better in both quality and taste, although it is usually more expensive.

Home grown foods taste completely different from those who have been around in aeroplanes/lorries being shipped all over the world.

We can't go back in time but we can try to buy wisely ...... taking budgetary ties into consideration too.

Wonder what others think ?

All the best Jan
    horfilmania
    horfilmania

Post by horfilmania Mon Jan 19 2015, 16:55

Yes Jan, people just don't use real foods and make meals from scatch anymore.

What I've been doing lately is using real food, keeping it very simple, and making my meals at home from scratch.

3 of 20 lbs now gone.

A typical day is:

Morning upon waking up: water then coffee with cream
    Lunch: water then coffee with cream
    Dinner: baked ground pork with sour cream, avocado, onion, tomato and feta cheese salad, macadamia nuts

So incorporating some intermittent fasting and eating my dinner between 4 and 6 pm works for me. No snacking at all. If I feel like snacking then I have a coffee with cream or water. Have also upped my daily stats to Fat: 80%, Protein: 15%, Carbs 5%. This takes me into ketosis and thereby eliminates all cravings and hunger. By 4 pm every day I find I am sufficiently hungry to begin preparing my dinner. It's wonderful.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Mon Jan 19 2015, 17:55

@horfilmania  Good - good - good, another 3lbs gone and your daily 'menu' eating plan is working well for you.

Thanks for sharing this info, I'm sure it helps other readers and forum members.  

Onwards and Upwards to your next loss.

Quite a few people I know do have their coffee with cream .... heavy / double cream works best I believe?  Does any one else find this?

All the best Jan
    mo1905
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2305

Post by mo1905 Mon Jan 19 2015, 17:59

horfilmania wrote:Yes Jan, people just don't use real foods and make meals from scatch anymore.

What I've been doing lately is using real food, keeping it very simple, and making my meals at home from scratch.

3 of 20 lbs now gone.

A typical day is:

Morning upon waking up: water then coffee with cream
    Lunch: water then coffee with cream
    Dinner: baked ground pork with sour cream, avocado, onion, tomato and feta cheese salad, macadamia nuts

So incorporating some intermittent fasting and eating my dinner between 4 and 6 pm works for me. No snacking at all. If I feel like snacking then I have a coffee with cream or water. Have also upped my daily stats to Fat: 80%, Protein: 15%, Carbs 5%. This takes me into ketosis and thereby eliminates all cravings and hunger. By 4 pm every day I find I am sufficiently hungry to begin preparing my dinner. It's wonderful.

Great news ! 3lb is a nice chunk off your target :-)
    horfilmania
    horfilmania

Post by horfilmania Tue Jan 20 2015, 03:17

Another result of my eating this way has been a major improvement in my mood. Winters here are long, cold and dark. Lots of snow and ice abound and walking is prohibitive due to icy sidewalks and roads. Suffering from SAD abounds. My mood is far better and I'm happier than usual. I only have one more, ok two more things to overcome besides my weight. Insomnia and asthma but in the grand scheme of things it's not an impossibility and could be far, far worse.
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Post by Eddie Tue Jan 20 2015, 10:51

Great stuff Horf keep posting up your good news. Very Happy
    horfilmania
    horfilmania

Post by horfilmania Mon Feb 02 2015, 16:44

Finally another 1 lb gone for a total of 4 lbs. This is a slow slog. The body definitely fights tooth and nail to keep it's fat intact.

Thanks for the words of encouragement everyone.

My new motto now is:

Do or do not. There is no try. Yoda

I want to live long enough to at least see a grandchild. The boy will be 35 soon and he's still hasn't gotten busy.
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Mon Feb 02 2015, 16:52

Hi Horf well done on the weight loss. I appreciate how hard it is for some to lose weight. For me it is very easy, which must be gruelling to hear. For me it's a question of self discipline, but I know that is not the case for others. If I knew the answer for why some people who have to try so very hard to lose weight, I would so rich, I would be sending welfare parcels to Bill Gates.

All the best Eddie
    mo1905
    mo1905

Post by mo1905 Mon Feb 02 2015, 20:36

4lbs is still a result and you're heading in the right direction. Well done :-)
    horfilmania
    horfilmania

Post by horfilmania Tue Feb 03 2015, 23:23

Thanks for the encouragement Eddie and Mo. I'm doing quite well lately.

Everyone seems to think and all fruits and vegetables wear halos but let me tell you something I've discovered. They can be the devil as most of them contain toxins. Some vegetables contain histamines, others salicylates, still others oxalates or fructose and other toxins that can wreak havoc on those who are allergic or sensitive to them. I've recently discovered that I can't eat any veggies that are high in salicylates due to my decades long allergy to aspirin. Never related vegetables to aspirin but live and learn. I'm now just eating tomato (in moderation), lettuce and celery which are lowest in salicylates and fructose. I'm also sensitive to fructose due to my proneness to gout, which is more due to fructose than anything else.

So doing low-carb, as usual, fiddling with the vegetable content and eating once a day. Big learning curve but I'm getting it sorted out slowly.
    mo1905
    mo1905

Post by mo1905 Tue Feb 03 2015, 23:30

Totally agree, all fruit & veg is not agreeable to all. Testing is key. Lots of fruit is full of sugar. Natural sugar, but still sweet enough to elevate BG levels of diabetics.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Wed Feb 04 2015, 11:29

horfilmania wrote:Finally another 1 lb gone for a total of 4 lbs. This is a slow slog. The body definitely fights tooth and nail to keep it's fat intact.

Thanks for the words of encouragement everyone.

My new motto now is:

Do or do not. There is no try. Yoda

I want to live long enough to at least see a grandchild. The boy will be 35 soon and he's still hasn't gotten busy.

Like the new February motto !

You're doing the right thing just keep at it. Anyway does weight loss have to be a race? I don't think so.  sunny

As for the fruits and vegetables ...... best to eat what you find suits you. For instance bananas for me fine but a no go for Eddie, raises his blood sugar too much. Now blueberries though are something we both love to eat with thick double cream, and blood sugars fine.  

All the best Jan
    horfilmania
    horfilmania

Post by horfilmania Sat Mar 07 2015, 00:27

What can I say about a friend from out of town visiting, who eats 20 times a day as most carb eaters do that would be better left unsaid? If I had to live with someone who ate that way all the time I'd go absolutely bonkers. She is a dear friend but god help me I'm glad she lives elsewhere.

I'm back to where I was before she arrived. Took me almost 3 weeks. I'm on a strict animal-based diet at the moment. I'm experimenting on myself due to allergies to salicylates and fructose and gluten. I've been at this for 7 days and I've lost 7 lbs and my feet have not ballooned up once. Definitely anti-inflammatory. Plus I'm eating bacon and eggs every morning. No inflammation! Do I feel deprived? HELL NO! Dinner every day is pork chops, chicken, chicken liver or fish. No veggies, no fruit, no dessert. Do I feel deprived? HELL NO!

I think this push to eat fruits and vegetables is a scam. If you are healthy and they don't make you sick then by all means eat them. But if you are ill and obese, you may consider eliminating them for at least 30 days to see how you feel. Eating all meat and eggs for 30 days isn't going to kill you.

Ok rant over. Did you guys miss me?
    zand
    zand

Female Posts : 1940

Post by zand Sat Mar 07 2015, 07:49

Yes I missed you! And that was a good, constructive rant too! Smile
    mo1905
    mo1905

Post by mo1905 Sat Mar 07 2015, 08:27

Yep, missed you :-)
    And yep, starting the day with eggs & bacon has to be a winner :-)
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Sat Mar 07 2015, 10:45

Nice to see you over here Horf, can you make a bit more effort please and post more often.

I know, I'm a cheeky bastard, getting me coat.affraid

Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Sat Mar 07 2015, 17:48

horfilmania wrote:What can I say about a friend from out of town visiting, who eats 20 times a day as most carb eaters do that would be better left unsaid? If I had to live with someone who ate that way all the time I'd go absolutely bonkers. She is a dear friend but god help me I'm glad she lives elsewhere.

I'm back to where I was before she arrived. Took me almost 3 weeks. I'm on a strict animal-based diet at the moment. I'm experimenting on myself due to allergies to salicylates and fructose and gluten. I've been at this for 7 days and I've lost 7 lbs and my feet have not ballooned up once. Definitely anti-inflammatory. Plus I'm eating bacon and eggs every morning. No inflammation! Do I feel deprived? HELL NO! Dinner every day is pork chops, chicken, chicken liver or fish. No veggies, no fruit, no dessert. Do I feel deprived? HELL NO!

I think this push to eat fruits and vegetables is a scam. If you are healthy and they don't make you sick then by all means eat them. But if you are ill and obese, you may consider eliminating them for at least 30 days to see how you feel. Eating all meat and eggs for 30 days isn't going to kill you.

Ok rant over. Did you guys miss me?

GREAT to see you back here 'Horf'

Feel free to rant, argue, explain, commiserate, share stories, laugh, smile .... that's what friends (and Forums) are for.

All the best Jan

flower    flower    flower
    horfilmania
    horfilmania

Post by horfilmania Sun Mar 08 2015, 17:37

Do you feel another rant coming on? I do!

My sister had her yearly checkup and was prescribed a statin, Lipitor for the following cholesterol numbers:
    Total Cholesterol 7.26
    Trigs: .96
    HDL: 1.95
    LDL: 4.87

Her trigs and HDL are amazingly good and her LDL isn't bad. Total is a bit high but prescribing a statin drug to a woman over 55 years of age with those types of numbers is extremely irresponsible and stupid. There is no advantage to women that age taking statins research has shown.

Luckily she isn't that stupid and is not planning to fill the prescription.
    zand
    zand

Female Posts : 1940

Post by zand Sun Mar 08 2015, 17:44

I was getting upset as I read that! Phew thank goodness she isn't going to take them. Smile
    mo1905
    mo1905

Post by mo1905 Sun Mar 08 2015, 18:48

Pretty sure they just have a repeat prescription for statins as a notepad ! Those numbers certainly don't warrant meds !
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Sun Mar 08 2015, 20:04

horfilmania wrote:Do you feel another rant coming on? I do!

My sister had her yearly checkup and was prescribed a statin, Lipitor for the following cholesterol numbers:
    Total Cholesterol 7.26
    Trigs: .96
    HDL: 1.95
    LDL: 4.87

Her trigs and HDL are amazingly good and her LDL isn't bad. Total is a bit high but prescribing a statin drug to a woman over 55 years of age with those types of numbers is extremely irresponsible and stupid. There is no advantage to women that age taking statins research has shown.

Luckily she isn't that stupid and is not planning to fill the prescription.

It does seem that it is almost 'second nature' to go for the statin prescription .... they have to do it, it's in the script!

Glad your sister's script was to firmly say no thanks.

All the best Jan
    horfilmania
    horfilmania

Post by horfilmania Fri Mar 13 2015, 02:01

So I spent 1 hour yesterday watching Mrs. Brown's Boys so I'm in a mischievous mood (dammit wish I could spell that word correctly) I plead ignorance that English was not my first language, it was probably my 3rd.

However, regarding my second to previous rant, I can't figure out how to paste images off my desktop so I'll just type it in.

Konrad Biesalski, a nutrition expert at the University Hohenheim in Stuttgart, also noted the counterintuitive reality that many of the nutrients implicated in protecting against cancer, such as vitamin A, folic acid, selenium, and zinc, for which we have been told to eat more fruits and vegetables, are not only more abundant in meat but are also more "bioavailable," meaning that they are more easily absorbed by humans into the bloodstream when eaten in meat rather than in vegetables
    (Biesalski, 2002)

This is my feeling as well. We really don't need fruits and vegetables. If you feel like eating them then go ahead but don't tell me I have to eat them to achieve good health.
    horfilmania
    horfilmania

Post by horfilmania Fri Mar 13 2015, 02:09

eddie1 wrote:Nice to see you over here Horf, can you make a bit more effort please and post more often.

I know, I'm a cheeky bastard, getting me coat.affraid

Eddie, I'd love to post here more often but I often have trouble understanding you people who live on some island in the Northern Atlantic. Plus I'm not diabetic so can't comment on diabetic meds, strategies, plus I don't know anything about what's going on at some Diabetic Forum on previously referenced island.

However, I will do my best since you asked me so nicely.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content