THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

+14
zand
Thundercat
Dillinger
Avocado Sevenfold
Scandichic
Indy51
sanguine
graham64
xyzzy
Xyz
Andy12345
mo1905
Paul1976
Eddie
18 posters

Bonkers Back to his Barking Best !

mo1905
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2305

Bonkers Back to his Barking Best ! - Page 4 Empty Re: Bonkers Back to his Barking Best !

Post by mo1905 Fri Aug 29 2014, 09:31

There are a few posters who I like to call "copy & paste" members. Baffling people ( not all ) with quotes and studies purporting to back their particular argument. Posting a link is great but at least try to summarise it first. I think adding a scientific study to a post often appears impressive but we all know too well that many are not what they seem !
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Bonkers Back to his Barking Best ! - Page 4 Empty Re: Bonkers Back to his Barking Best !

Post by Eddie Fri Aug 29 2014, 11:44

zand wrote:re the previous 2 posts.  The problem with that particular contributor to the other forum is that she almost always backs up what she is saying with scientific reports, so it looks credible.  Yes, I've bothered to read 1 or 2 of them looking for the flaws in the science because I knew from my own experience that the 'scientific' conclusions were so wrong.  I can understand why some people would simply take what she writes as the truth when it is backed up in this way.  OK, I'm cynical, scientific research has to be paid for by someone, what's their motive?  Anecdotal evidence is often frowned upon, but listening to snippets of advice from people who have been in the same situation as me has been very useful to me when dealing with diabetes and other health issues.

You certainly hit the nail on the head Zand. What motivates this individual and a handful of others is beyond me, six years on and the low carb anti rhetoric is looking very tired and out of date. Another twenty years and the NHS, DUK and BDA might catch up. The biggest losers are the newly diagnosed, the long time out of control, the easily confused. So much misinformation out there, and so much bent science paid for by big pharma and junk food companies.

Kind regards Eddie
    graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Post by graham64 Fri Aug 29 2014, 22:32

sanguine wrote:
    graham64 wrote:We have always posted a disclaimer warning of the dangers of lowering BG to quickly due possible damage to the eyes, suggesting  it's very very unlikely for a newly diagnosed T2 to incur eye damage is irresponsible to say the least.

My apologies Graham - nobody has actually posted that statement, that was me reading between too many lines. Embarassed   I wasn't aware of that disclaimer and the subject is not something that I have noticed before when discussing rapid improvements in HbA1c with T2s - and there is at least one I can think of with 4-5% improvement in 3 months.  I think I would have noticed because I never did get my retinopathy check from the surgery as promised by the DN.  When I asked several times about it, the answer from reception was always 'you'll hear soon, it's someone from the local hospital who comes periodically'.  I'll certainly raise it whenI see the DN again in a month's time.  Meanwhile I had my eyes tested myself through my optician - no retinopathy, nor was there at my last checkup 18 months ago (pre-diagnosis but presumably 'uncontrolled diabetic' at that time).

Apologies again for any confusion.  Still learning ...

No apologies necessary Rod, if I gave the impression I was having a go at you then it's me that should apologise  Embarassed As Eddie explained the person mentioned has long been an adversary if I say she has in the past defended the use of the eatwell plate and the DUK dietary guidelines for T2 diabetics you will see were I'm coming from.

Cheers
    Graham
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2439

Post by Paul1976 Thu Mar 05 2015, 18:04

Poor old Sid-Considering he "Doesn't do" low carb he's sure obsessed with it! Twisted Evil

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/just-fed-up-to-the-back-teeth.73049#post-789999

120,000 members and only a minority do low carb? What a load of tosh-Most of those 120,000 are either spammers,bots,banned folks and the ones who joined up and never posted
    zand
    zand

Female Posts : 1940

Post by zand Thu Mar 05 2015, 18:08

Paul wrote:Poor old Sid-Considering he "Doesn't do" low carb he's sure obsessed with it! Twisted Evil

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/just-fed-up-to-the-back-teeth.73049#post-789999

120,000 members and only a minority do low carb? What a load of tosh-Most of those 120,000 are either spammers,bots,banned folks and the ones who joined up and never posted

Yep or low-carbers who don't bother saying anything about it 'cos there's plenty of us mentioning it already!
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Thu Mar 05 2015, 18:32

zand wrote:
    Paul wrote:Poor old Sid-Considering he "Doesn't do" low carb he's sure obsessed with it! Twisted Evil

Yep or low-carbers who don't bother saying anything about it 'cos there's plenty of us mentioning it already!

"120000 members and what a few hundred follow the lchf diet." Sid (the enforcer) Bonkers

119,000 members done a Capt. Oates years ago, those that are left and successfully control their diabetes are predominantly low carbers. Jeez I will miss Sid when he has gone, a fine example of care in the community does not work if ever there was one.
    mo1905
    mo1905

Post by mo1905 Thu Mar 05 2015, 21:03

Good old Sidney ! Worlds angriest man ! He does make me smile, or is it wind ?
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Wed Mar 11 2015, 11:24

From the Bonkers one at the flog today.

"There is no doubt that a lchf diet will help to control diabetes but personally I would find it too restrictive and know I couldnt eat this way for the rest of my life and also there is the problem of cholesterol as it seems that something like 50% of those eating this diet suffer an increase in cholesterol.

I found that the best diet for me was a reduced carb diet with no added fat, the best of both worlds so to speak.

Excellent control and no rise in cholesterol.

And because I have always eaten small portions of potato, rice and cereals I have never felt deprived or awkward when eating out in company."

"something like 50% of those eating this diet suffer an increase in cholesterol."

Check out the countless anecdotal posts over the years on forums and blogs, and low carbers almost always report a big drop in Trigs, a very important indicator for possible heart disease. Almost all report increased HDL the so called good cholesterol. It is true some people see and increase in LDL cholesterol, especially during the early days of low carbing. As most know on this forum the all important LDL particle size and type is not measured in the UK by the NHS, so the UK LDL data is meaningless.

Old Sid never let's the truth get in the way of a good rant.
    mo1905
    mo1905

Post by mo1905 Wed Mar 11 2015, 15:55

Another Bonkers random statement. The 50% is a total guess, and completely wrong.
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Post by Paul1976 Wed Mar 11 2015, 15:59

Give it up Sid! You're like a stuck record and the sarcy references to Jimmy Moore as well as many others in the Low carb world are getting tiresome now and near enough all apart from your clique can see it(But the clique DO see it eh Sidney) Wink

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/some-do-some-dont.73126/page-4#post-795527
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Wed Mar 11 2015, 16:22

From the Bonkers one today.

"More than half the forum eat over 75g carbs a day and 12.5% dont count them at all."

So half the forum eh? 120,000 so called membership and Sid bases that statement on a poll where only 158 members could be bothered to vote. As can be seen here
    http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/how-many-carbohydrates-do-you-consume-per-day.20719/

Clearly poor Sid is losing the plot completely. If he was a horse he would have been shot years ago.

graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Wed Mar 11 2015, 21:45

"something like 50% of those eating this diet suffer an increase in cholesterol."

Mine increased but only down to a big rise in HDL the good cholesterol, perhaps that's were Sid's getting confused facepalm

Anyone notice his post having a go at Trudi Deakin has been deleted Laughing
    mo1905
    mo1905

Post by mo1905 Wed Mar 11 2015, 22:49

Yeah I noticed that too Graham ! How that man gets away with his constant rants is beyond me ! Sidney is clearly a very bitter individual who constantly moans about vocal LCHF members but seems to forget how vocal he is himself !
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Thu Mar 12 2015, 14:50

graham64 wrote:

Mine increased but only down to a big rise in HDL the good cholesterol, perhaps that's were Sid's getting confused facepalm

Anyone notice his post having a go at Trudi Deakin has been deleted Laughing

Sid had a post deleted !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! affraid That confirms it for me, clearly Anna and the Cherub have gone completely mad. Jeez, I never thought I would live to see the day the Bonkers one had a post deleted. I need a lay down in a dark room.

Paul1976
    Paul1976

Post by Paul1976 Thu Mar 12 2015, 14:54

I bet they only deleted it to protect him from a potential lawsuit!
    mo1905
    mo1905

Post by mo1905 Thu Mar 12 2015, 17:18

Amazing really, the amount of crap Sid has posted that this is the first one to be deleted ! Perhaps the post wasn't bitter or offensive enough so Anna deemed it not worthy of the barking one ?
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Post by Paul1976 Fri Apr 03 2015, 15:57

Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Fri Apr 03 2015, 16:36

Ho Ho Ho, poor old Sid, what a life that bloke lives eh. He must spend his whole life scanning the internet and the media looking for dross to frighten and worry people. This is a man that has stated his breakfast is 17 grams of cornflakes and a splash of semi-skimmed milk. He lives on a low calorie diet because he is literally crippled and pretty much bed ridden. Did I mention he is on around 12 different meds. We should pity him I reckon, arguably the most negative member in the history of the flog, and that takes some doing. Never any help to a newbie, never any positive news, just a sad old man waiting to check out. Let's have a nice to Sid week.

Here is a recipe from Sid at the flog from the days he made some good and positive posts, and even a hint of humour.

Bonkers Back to his Barking Best ! - Page 4 Proxy?url=http%3A%2F%2F4.bp.blogspot.com%2F-CspcbfTArUQ%2FVR6yzzs8uSI%2FAAAAAAAAJGs%2F2D-1DCo3zcE%2Fs1600%2Fmoussaka%252B(1)
    Moussaka
    Prep time 30 minutes to 1 hour
    Cooking time 30 minutes to 1 hour

Caution Very low carb - this could ruin my reputation Laughing

Ingredients
    2 Aubergines
    Olive oil
    1 Onion, chopped
    2 cloves garlic, crushed
    500g lean (best) minced lamb
    1/2 Packet of Passata - could substitute fresh toms
    Pinch of Cinnamon powder
    Pinch of Cumin powder
    1 Glass of Red wine
    150ml Chicken stock
    200ml White sauce
    2 Eggs
    Pinch of Nutmeg
    180g Grated Cheese - Half Mozzarella, half Cheddar - Cheat Use 200g 'Grated Pizza Cheese' From Tesco 👍
    2 tbsp Fresh Mint, chopped
    Salt
    Freshly ground Black Pepper

Method
    1. Preheat oven to Gas 5
    2. Slice Aubergines and fry them on both sides in a large frying pan with a little olive oil. Drain on kitchen paper and place to one side.
    3. Using the same pan add a little more olive oil and fry the onions and garlic for about 5 mins.
    4. Turn up the heat an add the minced lamb and brown it off, then add the Passata a pinch of cumin and a pinch of cinnamon add the red wine and cook on the hob whilst stirring until well mixed, then add the chopped mint and slowly stir in the stock bit by bit.
    4. Layer the Aubergines and lamb mix in an oven proof dish using several layers ending with a layer of Aubergines.
    5. Combine the white sauce with the eggs, nutmeg and seasoning and spoon over the top of the mince and then scatter with the grated cheese until well covered.
    6. Bake in the oven 20-25 minutes to colour the cheese and cook through.
    7. Open the Retsina and serve with the Moussaka add a fresh salad if you wish.
    mo1905
    mo1905

Post by mo1905 Sat Apr 04 2015, 09:21

I ate a sausage once and it went directly into my bloodstream and floated road my body for years ! Very odd ;-)
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Sat Apr 04 2015, 17:10

mo1905 wrote:I ate a sausage once and it went directly into my bloodstream and floated road my body for years ! Very odd ;-)

Well, you will keep eating those "albino's fingers" crap Mo. lol!
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Post by Paul1976 Tue Apr 14 2015, 15:55

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/low-carb-newbie-and-i-feel-terrible-is-it-carb-withdrawal.75370/page-2

Yet again,Sid insulting people who he hasn't even read their books and this time-one who has died(Barry Groves) who can't defend himself and I bet Sid doesn't have the 'Minerals' to take on Gary Taubes directly! Rolling Eyes

I'm sure Sid reads here so Sid,why not get your arse over here and debate these issues and some others! You have my assurance that you will be treated fairly and as you know,we can't have a fair debate in your manor aka DCUK!
    mo1905
    mo1905

Post by mo1905 Tue Apr 14 2015, 17:20

It must be a full moon, the Bonkers one is allowed out again. A couple of angry posts then back into the woodwork for a few weeks or so. Sad man !
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Tue Apr 14 2015, 22:35

Sid's a believer in the CISCO calories in  calories out theory, that assumes all calories are created equal if that were the case then I would not have problems maintaining my weight despite increasing my calories which are far higher in fat.

Effects of Low-Carbohydrate and Low-Fat Diets: A Randomized Trial

Conclusion: The low-carbohydrate diet was more effective for weight loss and cardiovascular risk factor reduction than the low-fat diet. Restricting carbohydrate may be an option for persons seeking to lose weight and reduce cardiovascular risk factors.

http://annals.org/article.aspx?articleid=1900694
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Post by Paul1976 Tue Apr 14 2015, 23:51

On the subject of low fat...Duggie's back!!!! freakout

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/still-chilling.75466/
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Wed Apr 15 2015, 08:56

I see Duggie is still pushing the Newcastle Diet Plan, as funded by DUK these days.

"I’ve checked my BG occasionally, but not a lot.
    It’s very predictable, and the Newcastle diet seems to have been the turning point.
    I’m not sure if I’m entirely reversed, if I sit around my BG creeps up after food.
    But then, nothing too high, so it’s all good."

"I've noticed a fair few doing the Newcastle Diet, with similar good results, recently, so, if you have the determination, and can stick at it, it’s definitely worth it as the first line of attack for T2, if you were like me."

The Newcastle diet is great for losing weight and reducing BG, but achieves exactly what any starvation diet would achieve. If Duggie goes back to the pot noodles, pasties and other junk he used to boast of eating, his BG numbers would go back to diabetic.

To reverse type two you have to set in place a regime for life, not just for three months. There are no quick fixes for reversing diabetes, once a diabetic, always a diabetic. Go back to eating junk, go back to seeing high BG numbers on your meter.

As for Sid, he is like the idiot in the attic, the family wheel him out on special occasions, then it's back upstairs. Every-time phat is mentioned he has a turn, meanwhile he shovels down the meds and stays in a semi vegetative state. As for coming over here to debate the issues, forget it, with no bent mod friends, Sid would not dare post anywhere, he would not last five minutes.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19 2024, 16:49