THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

2 posters

Cauliflower pasanda

sanguine
    sanguine

Male Posts : 395

Cauliflower pasanda Empty Cauliflower pasanda

Post by sanguine Sun Dec 28 2014, 10:13

After the Christmas food overindulgences I made this last night, from the Guardian recipe column and website of Jack Monroe. Very nice too, and although it says it is for four, it seemed OK for two especially given we're not having rice or bread with it. Maybe we're just gannets! I'd cut it out of the paper when it was published but not got around to doing it. Next time I'll reduce the volumes of yoghurt and cream to 200 ml each I think!

(Serves 4)
    1 head of cauliflower
    Oil for cooking (I like sunflower or groundnut)
    1 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
    1 tsp turmeric
    2 large onions, finely sliced
    4 fat cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
    1 red chilli, finely chopped
    1 tsp cumin seeds
    1 tsp garam masala
    300ml natural yoghurt
    300ml double cream
    Fistful of fresh coriander
    A handful of sultanas
    Chopped almonds (optional)

Heat the oven to 180C/350F/gas mark four. Get your thumbs into the middle of your cauliflower and prise it apart. It falls into florets, looks better, makes less mess and is faster than chopping.

Put the pieces in a roasting tin, splash with oil, scatter with ginger and turmeric, and roast in the middle of the oven for about 40 minutes, until slightly crispy and browned around the edges.

Put the onions and garlic into a large pan with another splash of oil. Add the chilli, cumin seeds and garam masala, and cook on a low heat, stirring occasionally, for at least 15 minutes.

Remove the onions from the heat and allow to cool for a few minutes. Stir through the yoghurt and cream, season, and let it all luxuriate in the pan until the cauliflower is ready – adding dairy when the mix has cooled avoids splitting and curdling.

When the cauliflower is roasted, fold it through the curry pan – the turmeric should give it all a gentle, creamy yellow colour – and bring it back up to heat. Season, garnish with the coriander, sultanas and almonds, if using, and serve with rice or bread.

http://agirlcalledjack.com/2014/10/01/cauliflower-pasanda/
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Cauliflower pasanda Empty Re: Cauliflower pasanda

Post by Jan1 Sun Dec 28 2014, 12:40

Many thanks for posting this great recipe.

It's a favourite ......and guess what ?

It's in our 'Cauliflower' recipe section and also in the 'What did you have for dinner thread' but us low carbers know the verstility of Cauliflowers !

Interesting to read your views on the recipe idea and your thought that " Next time I'll reduce the volumes of yoghurt and cream to 200 ml each I think!"

Great stuff - many thanks.  sunny

All the best Jan
    sanguine
    sanguine

Male Posts : 395

Post by sanguine Sun Dec 28 2014, 14:12

I should have guessed it wasn't 'new'!

With the 300 ml each of yoghurt and cream it just seemed a bit too runny! I didn't want to reduce it by heating in case it all curdled.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Post by Jan1 Sun Dec 28 2014, 18:24

....it's always good to share recipes Smile

I think many recipes are perhaps more 'runny' because they state serve with rice / bread - and of course this would soak up the cream / gravy.

For us low carbers we wouldn't serve it that way. Glad you enjoyed it though Smile

All the best Jan

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19 2024, 07:33