THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

3 posters

carb count anomalies

Sally
    Sally

carb count anomalies Empty carb count anomalies

Post by Sally Sun Dec 14 2014, 11:39

When we started low carbing, we simply cut out almost all flour products, cereals, fruit and juices, sugar and sugar products.  We continue to eat beans and legumes.  This was very successful, reducing my husband's HbA1c from 75 to a low of 30 last summer and knocking quite a few inches off both our waistlines.  You may say that we clearly have no need to carb count, because we have found what works for us, but I was curious.  I had guessed that we would definitely be under 50 and probably closer to 30, but the scientist in me wanted an answer.
    Many things we eat come without labelling, fresh veg, cheese cut off a big block and so on and I would expect there to be some variation in answers to, "How many carbs are there in a tomato?", as it would depend on variety and how much sun it had had.  But what has surprised me is variation in some packed products, particularly cream.  I currently have two pots of cream in my fridge, almost identical, one from Tesco, the other Marks and Spencer.  both are described as "Double Cream, pouring, whipping and cooking, pasteurised and containing milk".  In use, both seem the same.  The difference is that the one with the Tesco label claims to contain 1.6g carbs per 100ml, while the M& S one has 2.6g.  
    Is the moral of the story, Diabetics should shop at Tesco?  How do those of you who need to carb count accurately get on?
    The answer to my own original question was, around 30 a day, except when chick peas are on the menu, also, don't overdo the onions.  
    Sally
    zand
    zand

Female Posts : 1940

carb count anomalies Empty Re: carb count anomalies

Post by zand Sun Dec 14 2014, 11:50

Thanks for this Sally. I have been thinking along the same lines. I don't need to carb count too accurately for the sake of my BG's, but I don't lose weight if I don't keep a check on my carbs. Yes, I have noticed that with onions too!
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Post by Jan1 Sun Dec 14 2014, 15:54

Having just read Sally's point about the carb content of cream - I went to the fridge.

We currently have Asda Double Cream, and the carb content is 2.6 per 100ml.

We do vary the total amount of carbs we eat each day. Sometimes it's 30 - other days it's 50. This works fine for me as a non diabetic, but importantly works well for Eddie a Type 2 diabetic.

We tend to eat red onion's more than white onions - broccoli and cauliflower appear on our menu plan quite a lot and our absolute favourite is buttery mashed swede.

I could list a very long list of the great low carb foods we eat .............  sunny  

Have to say chick peas do not appear that often, I know some diabetics do not tolerate them that well.

All the best Jan

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28 2024, 22:48