THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

+3
Jan1
mo1905
horfilmania
7 posters

Dr. Jason Fung

horfilmania
    horfilmania

Female Posts : 68

Dr. Jason Fung Empty Dr. Jason Fung

Post by horfilmania Thu Dec 04 2014, 19:26

Those who like to read about different dietary interventions and treatments for Diabetes and other Metabolic Issues using low carb in combination with fasting this site is fabulous.

http://intensivedietarymanagement.com/

He has a clinic and there is some advertising about his clinic but most of the information on the site is free. I was particularly interested in his contention that fasting increases metabolism and the production of growth hormone which is valuable for the elderly. I was already fasting but now I'm going to bump that up a bit more from once a week to twice and see how I feel.

Let me know what you think.
    mo1905
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2305

Dr. Jason Fung Empty Re: Dr. Jason Fung

Post by mo1905 Thu Dec 04 2014, 19:35

Thanks for posting the link. I had a look through but couldn't find the section regarding fasting. Is this similar to the 5:2 diet ? How little do you eat on the fasting days ?
    horfilmania
    horfilmania

Post by horfilmania Thu Dec 04 2014, 20:03

I think he only has one lecture in his obesity lecture series called "The Fasting Solution."

He does however discuss fasting and why it works in this lecture:

http://intensivedietarymanagement.com/insulin-toxicity-cure-type-2-diabetes/

He talks about fasting in most of his lectures on diabetes so you would have to watch those or read about them.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Post by Jan1 Thu Dec 04 2014, 21:48

horfilmania wrote:Those who like to read about different dietary interventions and treatments for Diabetes and other Metabolic Issues using low carb in combination with fasting this site is fabulous.

http://intensivedietarymanagement.com/

He has a clinic and there is some advertising about his clinic but most of the information on the site is free. I was particularly interested in his contention that fasting increases metabolism and the production of growth hormone which is valuable for the elderly. I was already fasting but now I'm going to bump that up a bit more from once a week to twice and see how I feel.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks Horf. Reading various blogs and forums there is a growing number that do use a combination of low carb and fasting. It wouldn't be for me, ....but those who do use this system seem pleased .......if you do decide to increase your fasting do let us know how you get on.
    Are you still on about 5 carbs per day?

All the best Jan
    graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Post by graham64 Thu Dec 04 2014, 22:04

Check out Dr Fung's videos on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/user/drjasonfung
    AliB
    AliB

Female Posts : 377

Post by AliB Thu Dec 04 2014, 23:13

That was awesome Graham.

Of COURSE! Duh.

Gotta start fasting......
    horfilmania
    horfilmania

Post by horfilmania Thu Dec 04 2014, 23:16

Jan1 wrote:Thanks Horf. Reading various blogs and forums there is a growing number that do use a combination of low carb and fasting. It wouldn't be for me, ....but those who do use this system seem pleased .......if you do decide to increase your fasting do let us know how you get on.
    Are you still on about 5 carbs per day?

All the best Jan
    I've been very, very low carb with a 36 hr fast weekly all on my own because fasting makes me feel better but now that I've discovered Dr. Fung I've increased the 36 hr fast to twice weekly and will see how that goes. I've been losing weight effortlessly this way and not getting the cravings I did when I ate more veggies. I've also decreased my dairy intake but not altogether. After checking Dr. Fung's Fasting Protocol it became evident that it would be easier than I thought because I was allowed my beloved coffee and bone broth.

I'll keep you updated.
    AliB
    AliB

Post by AliB Thu Dec 04 2014, 23:29

That makes sense of why the 600 calorie diet worked.....

Thanks so much Horf.

I have been stuck in a cleft stick, insulin not working well enough, sugar in double figures a lot of the time, but not wanting to increase it.  I'm on 49-50 units and that's more than enough in my estimation.

I knew somehow it was probably making things worse.

You know when you really knew this, but somehow it needed a light bulb to illuminate it properly......

Last edited by AliB on Fri Dec 05 2014, 09:06; edited 1 time in total
    Edwina
    Edwina
    Banned

Post by Edwina Thu Dec 04 2014, 23:44

mo1905 wrote:Thanks for posting the link. I had a look through but couldn't find the section regarding fasting. Is this similar to the 5:2 diet ? How little do you eat on the fasting days ?

On the 5:2 diet 600 calories for a man, 400 for female. I did survive once on just 300 calories a glass of milk a day.

Edwina
    mo1905
    mo1905

Post by mo1905 Fri Dec 05 2014, 00:07

Edwina wrote:
    mo1905 wrote:Thanks for posting the link. I had a look through but couldn't find the section regarding fasting. Is this similar to the 5:2 diet ? How little do you eat on the fasting days ?

On the 5:2 diet 600 calories for a man, 400 for female. I did survive  once on just 300 calories a glass of milk a day.

Edwina

Thanks Edwina :-)
    AliB
    AliB

Post by AliB Fri Dec 05 2014, 09:21

This joins a lot of dots for me. I'm off to do some avid reading and preparation.

Now that would be an interesting prescription, wouldn't it?

"I'm sorry to tell you Mr Bloggs, that you have diabetes." "Oh no Doctor! I've heard it's a long, slow death sentence!" "Not any more Mr. Bloggs. Just fast two or three times a week and eat a low carb, high fat diet the rest of the time, and you'll be healthier than you've ever been. I am pleased to tell you anyone with a diabetes diagnosis will no longer be a burden on the National Health Service for the next 30+ years, which will cut taxes and give me enough free time to play golf twice a week....."
    mo1905
    mo1905

Post by mo1905 Fri Dec 05 2014, 14:14

AliB wrote:This joins a lot of dots for me.  I'm off to do some avid reading and preparation.

Now that would be an interesting prescription, wouldn't it?

"I'm sorry to tell you Mr Bloggs, that you have diabetes."  "Oh no Doctor!  I've heard it's a long, slow death sentence!"  "Not any more Mr. Bloggs.  Just fast two or three times a week and eat a low carb, high fat diet the rest of the time, and you'll be healthier than you've ever been.  I am pleased to tell you anyone with a diabetes diagnosis will no longer be a burden on the National Health Service for the next 30+ years, which will cut taxes and give me enough free time to play golf twice a week....."

I agree, just think of the savings :-)
    AliB
    AliB

Post by AliB Tue Mar 17 2015, 10:57

Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Post by Eddie Tue Mar 17 2015, 11:07

Now you're talking Ali, Jason Fung is a man who really does know what he is talking about.
    AliB
    AliB

Post by AliB Tue Mar 17 2015, 14:20

I can't help wondering if it isn't the modern wheat that is, or at least is a big factor in getting us all in to the mess we are all in these days.

Loads of people are getting amazing results in weight loss and often major health improvements just by dumping gluten-based grains, high sugar, processed garbage and just focusing on natural real food, as per Wheat Belly, Perfect Health diet, Paleo, whatever.....

For some, even just removing wheat from their diet makes a huge difference.

Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Post by Jan1 Tue Mar 17 2015, 18:30

I like Dr Jason Fung - he puts things over well.  Smile

....  Is Modern Wheat to blame for a lot of 'modern day' illnesses? The answer could well be yes.

Many more people now seem to be gluten intolerant, let alone carbs intolerant ......... and to quote Ali " Loads of people are getting amazing results in weight loss and often major health improvements just by dumping gluten-based grains, high sugar, processed garbage and just focusing on natural real food, as per Wheat Belly, Perfect Health diet, Paleo, whatever.....

For some, even just removing wheat from their diet makes a huge difference."

And for some it does Smile

All the best Jan

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19 2024, 04:07