THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

+10
mo1905
RANDBURG
Indy51
Sarah
Eddie
Paul1976
Andy12345
Avocado Sevenfold
Mud Island Dweller
Mrs Vimes
14 posters

Low carb Christmas food ideas

RANDBURG
    RANDBURG

Male Posts : 161

Low carb Christmas food ideas - Page 2 Empty Re: Low carb Christmas food ideas

Post by RANDBURG Sat Dec 13 2014, 08:24

Going to try a Turducken for the First time this year. Cooking it on a Webber Charcoal barbeque.

Apparently it is a Deboned Turkey, stuffed with a Deboned Chicken and Duck.

Anyone ever tried one ( If Available in the UK ?)
    mo1905
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2305

Post by mo1905 Sat Dec 13 2014, 08:27

I prefer Boxing Day dinner. Cold meats, cheese, pickles, coleslaw etc. I enjoy the Xmas dinner but never been a huge fan of roast dinners. I also love my Xmas Day big fry up breakfast too !
    RANDBURG
    RANDBURG

Male Posts : 161

Post by RANDBURG Sat Dec 13 2014, 09:33

We tend to celebrate Christmas on the evening of the 24th,with the family, and will have a hot meal.
    As it is Mid Summer in South Africa now, the Temp on Christmas day will be close to 30 degrees Centigrade, and good chance of a late afternoon Thunder Shower ( Always welcome as it cools things down.)
    Christmas day lunch is usually a cold meal -Left overs, and the cheese etc that we cant handle the night before, and the Puds... Got the whole of 2015 to eat normally.
    I even give my Meter a Holiday<Don't know how bad to feel if I don't test
    santa cheers
    zand
    zand

Female Posts : 1940

Post by zand Sat Dec 13 2014, 09:44

Since there's only going to be 4 of us this year we will be having roast chicken with 8 or 9 veggies because we all prefer chicken to turkey
    mo1905
    mo1905

Post by mo1905 Sat Dec 13 2014, 09:50

I prefer chicken to turkey too but think we are having lamb this year, my fave :-)
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2439

Post by Paul1976 Sat Dec 13 2014, 10:52

Large free range chicken and a gammon joint this year-I prefer chicken and Turkey is a faff to prepare.
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Post by Paul1976 Sat Dec 13 2014, 10:54

RANDBURG wrote:Going to try a Turducken for the First time this year. Cooking it on a Webber Charcoal barbeque.

Apparently it is a Deboned Turkey, stuffed with a Deboned Chicken and Duck.

Anyone ever tried one ( If Available in the UK ?)

Had it once and really liked it,it's just called a 3 bird roast in the UK though. Smile
    mo1905
    mo1905

Post by mo1905 Sat Dec 13 2014, 12:11

Always fancied a 3 bird roast, no such luck ;-)
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Post by Paul1976 Sat Dec 13 2014, 12:30

mo1905 wrote:Always fancied a 3 bird roast, no such luck ;-)

HaHaHaHaHa!! I bet!! lol!
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Post by Jan1 Sat Dec 13 2014, 16:24

Low carb Christmas food ideas - Page 2 Rsz_truffles

Low Carb Chocolate Mint Truffles
    Low carb Christmas food ideas - Page 2 Proxy?url=http%3A%2F%2Fanimations.fg-a.com%2F4-snowmen-animated

There are many myths surrounding a low carb lifestyle. The food is boring, restrictive, not satisfying and difficult to keep to. Nothing could be further from the truth. It is true if you live on take-a-ways and processed foods out of a box, you are going to have to change your ways. That being said, the 'ditch the carbs' site proves beyond all doubt, a huge range of low carb food and recipes are available to the low carber who wants to make some effort to turn their health around, especially people who are over weight or diabetics.

I urge you to check out Libby's site for the recipe and full instructions for the above low carb masterpiece. As you will see great meals and treats can be made with minimal cooking skills and no need for expensive tools and equipment, as Libby has said regarding the above recipe "Get your children to make them" What are you waiting for? Get over to Libby's site today.

A very special thank you to Libby for allowing us to use her work on our sites. We are totally non-commercial and never copy others work without a link to the source of information. Our aim is to help others to control their weight and diabetes with a whole food nil/minimal medication regime. Chasing ever increasing blood glucose numbers with ever more medication does not work, this has been proved.

Link to recipe and full instructions here http://www.ditchthecarbs.com/2014/04/15/chocolate-mint-truffles/?utm_content=buffere7a8e&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Mon Dec 15 2014, 16:33

Low carb Christmas food ideas - Page 2 Cheesecake-Collage-copy

You only have to read around blogs and forums to find out the one weakness we each have, although, yes some may have more than one!

From my teens 'til now, which is a good few years my number one food weakness or delight has been cheesecake, I just adore it. The family know it, my friends know it …it is one of Jan’s “things”. A standing joke when dining out at restaurants, or with friends has been ‘the cheesecake test’ …i.e. what does Jan think - guess I’ve become our circle’s Number 1 cheesecake guru!

All well and good if like me you are not diabetic, have no health related illness and can eat a slice of cheesecake without any adverse affect. But if you are diabetic then the standard cheesecake is not the best thing you can eat to maintain good blood sugar numbers.

Eddie has never been a cheesecake lover …..cheese definitely and if you mix in a few green olives then he is in 7th heaven.

When dining out he goes for the cheeseboard, I go for the cheesecake. But …..WAIT ! What do I see ? Only 31 fantastic low carb cheesecake recipes ‘to die for’ as the saying goes. Well “I’m in Heaven” is my saying.

Just check out these wonderful LOW CARB cheesecake recipes that Carolyn, a writer, runner, mother and diabetic, is featuring on her fantastic blog. And no she is not an “evil mastermind” just a great person who lives for food. Why not check out her recipes and “experiments” as she creates delicious low carb, gluten free recipes.

Read more here. http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/2014/05/31-amazing-low-carb-cheesecake-recipes.html

Enjoy …… Enjoy

Did I read somewhere today a low carb lifestyle is a restricted diet?  Laughing

All the best Jan
    zand
    zand

Female Posts : 1940

Post by zand Mon Dec 15 2014, 16:37

Yummy! Yes Jan apparently LCHF is a very restricted diet.....according to some who have probably never tried it. Rolling Eyes
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Mon Dec 15 2014, 19:01

Yes this food is 'Yummy' and it is so easy to prepare / cook. There is a wealth of great LCHF recipes to share .....who needs Christmas to enjoy it when anytime of year is LCHF time sunny

Thanks and

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Thu Dec 18 2014, 18:30

Savoy Cabbage with green chilli and cumin.

Low carb Christmas food ideas - Page 2 330997-1-eng-GB_6661-470x540

Low carb Christmas food ideas - Page 2 Proxy?url=http%3A%2F%2Fimage.fg-a.com%2Fchristmas%2Fdecorated-reindeer

As a change from Brussels sprouts, or even with Brussels sprouts lol, this delightfully aromatic spiced cabbage peps up Christmas lunch, and is also great for bubble and squeak the next day!

Takes 10 minutes to make, 12 minutes to cook and these ingredients serves eight.

Ingredients:

2 tbsp vegetable oil
    1 tsp black mustard seeds
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1 tsp cumin seeds
    3 garlic cloves, chopped
    3cm fresh ginger, chopped
    1 green chilli, sliced
    ½ tsp ground turmeric
    1 tsp salt
    1 savoy cabbage, shredded

Method:

Heat the oil in a pan with a lid, add the mustard seeds and stir for about 30 seconds (they will pop). Add the onion and fry over a medium heat for 10 minutes. Add the cumin seeds, garlic, ginger and chilli, then fry for 3 minutes more. Add the turmeric and salt, then stir in the cabbage. Add 100ml water, stir, then cook, covered, for 10 minutes. Serve in a warmed dish.

PER SERVING 52kcals, 3.4g fat (0.4g saturated), 2.1g protein, 4g carbs (3.5g sugars), 0.5g salt, 3.4g fibre

Found this easy recipe idea here http://www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk/recipes/savoy-cabbage-with-green-chilli-and-cumin/

Happy Cooking

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Tue Dec 23 2014, 20:03

Jan1 wrote:The Best Low Carb Christmas Pudding Ever …. Well probably !

No I don’t drink 'Carlsberg' but I guess the play on words is quite similar ? However, I do think that for YOU out there who are following a low carb high fat lifestyle this Christmas Pudding recipe is one to be recommended. Of course each to our own, but isn’t choice an amazing thing !

The slightly worrying aspect of posting this is -  I’ve just realised that Christmas Day is just under six weeks away - I don’t know where the year has gone, but it‘s certainly flown by.

I pity Father Christmas and his Elves who are so busy getting everything ready …….. well so my grandchildren tell me.  
    Low carb Christmas food ideas - Page 2 Proxy?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sherv.net%2Fcm%2Femo%2Fchristmas%2Fsanta-in-fireplace-smiley-emoticon

Hope you all enjoy the Christmas Pudding.

Low carb Christmas food ideas - Page 2 Xmas+pud

Ingredients:
    100 grams ground almond flour
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    2 large eggs
    1 tablespoon of melted butter
    2 tablespoons of double cream
    100 grams of lowcarb thawed frozen fruits. Blueberries, blackcurrants and strawberries.
    60 grams of 90-95% cocoa dark chocolate
    Two tea spoons of cocoa powder
    One large shot of brandy
    A handful of almond flakes and broken walnuts Extra thick cream

Method:

Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl.
    Melt the butter, use a Pyrex jug, add the eggs, cream, and fruit. Add the dry ingredients and mix. Pour into a medium size Pyrex mixing bowl. Microwave in a 700watt for 5 minutes. Turn out upside-down onto five layers of kitchen paper on a flat plate. Zap in micro-wave for a further two minutes. Melt the chocolate in a heat proof bowl standing in a saucepan of boiling water. Pour over pudding and serve with a scoop of extra thick cream. Serves four

Hope you all enjoy the Christmas Pudding more ideas coming soon.

All the best Jan

I make no apologies for bumping this post Embarassed

Can't believe I first posted this in November ......... and now Christmas Eve is almost upon us. santa

Just make sure you've got plenty of extra thick cream or even clotted cream !

Hope your Christmas preparations are going well.  santa    rendeer    santa

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Fri Dec 26 2014, 18:15

How about this great egg recipe to start the Christmas and New Year weekend Saturday ?

Huevos Rancheros

Serves One (so adjust as necessary)

2 large, free range eggs
    1 green pepper, diced
    1tbsp butter
    1 clove garlic, crushed
    Pinch dried chilli flakes (add more or less, according to how spicy you like your food
    ½ tin chopped tomatoes (roughly 200g)
    2tbsp grated strong cheese (Parmesan or a mature cheddar)
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Melt the butter in a small frying/omelette pan and add the diced peppers. Cook, stirring occasionally until softened (about five minutes).

Add the tomatoes, garlic and chilli flakes. Bring to the boil then turn down to a simmer and leave, stirring occasionally, for five minutes. You should be left with a thick sauce. Make two indentations in the mixture and crack the eggs in. Leave until the whites are set – about five minutes. (You may need to move the whites around a little to cook.)

Add a little salt and pepper and top with the grated cheese. Place under a pre-heated grill until the cheese is melted.

This is delicious with some salad on the side or on top of steamed broccoli. Allow roughly 10-15g carbs per serving.

Many thanks to Emma at 'The Diabetes Diet'
    http://diabetesdietblog.com/2014/12/26/a-low-carb-boxing-day-recipe-to-perk-you-up/

You know you can't beat the humble egg  sunny

sunny   rendeer    santa    rendeer    santa    sunny

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Sat Dec 05 2015, 12:55

Jan1 wrote:The Best Low Carb Christmas Pudding Ever …. Well probably !

No I don’t drink 'Carlsberg' but I guess the play on words is quite similar ? However, I do think that for YOU out there who are following a low carb high fat lifestyle this Christmas Pudding recipe is one to be recommended. Of course each to our own, but isn’t choice an amazing thing !

The slightly worrying aspect of posting this is -  I’ve just realised that Christmas Day is just under six weeks away - I don’t know where the year has gone, but it‘s certainly flown by.

I pity Father Christmas and his Elves who are so busy getting everything ready …….. well so my grandchildren tell me.  
    Low carb Christmas food ideas - Page 2 Proxy?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sherv.net%2Fcm%2Femo%2Fchristmas%2Fsanta-in-fireplace-smiley-emoticon

Hope you all enjoy the Christmas Pudding.

Low carb Christmas food ideas - Page 2 Xmas+pud

Ingredients:
    100 grams ground almond flour
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    2 large eggs
    1 tablespoon of melted butter
    2 tablespoons of double cream
    100 grams of lowcarb thawed frozen fruits. Blueberries, blackcurrants and strawberries.
    60 grams of 90-95% cocoa dark chocolate
    Two tea spoons of cocoa powder
    One large shot of brandy
    A handful of almond flakes and broken walnuts Extra thick cream

Method:

Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl.
    Melt the butter, use a Pyrex jug, add the eggs, cream, and fruit. Add the dry ingredients and mix. Pour into a medium size Pyrex mixing bowl. Microwave in a 700watt for 5 minutes. Turn out upside-down onto five layers of kitchen paper on a flat plate. Zap in micro-wave for a further two minutes. Melt the chocolate in a heat proof bowl standing in a saucepan of boiling water. Pour over pudding and serve with a scoop of extra thick cream. Serves four

Hope you all enjoy the Christmas Pudding more ideas coming soon.

All the best Jan

Well you will see I've 'bumped' this up from last year ... the words remain true but we are only three weekends away from Christmas YIKES ! santa

All the best Jan
    rendeer
    thinestever82
    thinestever82

Female Posts : 72

Post by thinestever82 Sun Dec 06 2015, 01:43

Since we don't celebrate the thanksgiving and I have never made turkey at home, I decided to convince everyone to have it for holidays but everyone thought that it will not be good so I decided to try it and to convince them. Well, I made a turkey of almost 8 kg without brining and it was so delicious that everyone want to have it again. I used this recipe (I love video recipes):

There is also the video for the homemade gravy but that ones contain flour and the only solution is to use it very little or do it like Ramsay does it: without flour:

Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Mon Dec 07 2015, 12:07

Many thanks for the video links ... these can be so useful to watch, and many food writers too, do give handy step by step photo guides.

I quite enjoy Brussels Sprouts with my Turkey ...Yum!

Low carb Christmas food ideas - Page 2 Brussels-sprouts

Low carb Christmas food ideas - Page 2 Sprout+chart

they are  are rich in many valuable nutrients

Read more here
    https://lowcarbdiabetic.forumotion.co.uk/t1774-brussels-sprouts-good-for-you

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Wed Dec 09 2015, 19:07

Looking back at this thread, there are some very nice recipe ideas ... and let's not forget this one from Andy:

Mince Pies , do use this link to have a look
    https://lowcarbdiabetic.forumotion.co.uk/t717-finally-perfected-mince-pies?highlight=andy+mince+pies

You may also want to have a look at these ones:
    Low carb Christmas food ideas - Page 2 Rsz_mince_pies-300x199

http://www.ditchthecarbs.com/2015/12/01/low-carb-christmas-mince-pies/

All the best Jan
    santa
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Sat Dec 12 2015, 11:30

Sundried Tomato and Rosemary Crackers

Low carb Christmas food ideas - Page 2 Sun-Dried-Tomato-SquaresKMD

These simple crackers are perfect served with freshly made dips or your favorite appetizer. With a satisfying snap and filled with tasty sundries tomatoes and rosemary, they’re sure to get your festive celebrations off to the perfect start.

Makes 20 crackers  |  Prep Time: 15 mins  | Cook Time: 20 mins

Ingredients:
    1 large egg
    1 TBSP olive oil
    1 1/2 cups almond flour
    1/4 cup mixed seeds (your choice – try sesame seeds, poppy seeds, sunflower seeds)
    2 tsp chopped, fresh rosemary
    1/2 tsp sea salt
    Pinch freshly ground black pepper
    1/4 cup sundried tomatoes, diced (if using tomatoes in oil, drain well first)

Method:
    Pre-heat oven to 350º F.
    In a large mixing bowl beat egg and olive oil together until pale and combined.
    Add remaining ingredients and mix thoroughly until a dough forms. If dough is too dry to hold together, add water, 1 tsp at a time, until dough comes together.
    Place dough between two sheets of parchment paper (large enough to line a baking sheet).
    Press the dough down a little with your hands before using a rolling pin to roll it out into a 1/4-inch thick square.
    Remove top layer of parchment paper. Carefully score 20 squares into the dough with a sharp knife. Repeat with remaining dough (if you need to re-roll any uneven edges).
    Place parchment with dough on a baking sheet and bake 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool completely before separating crackers. Serve, or store in an airtight container up to 7 days.

Idea seen here https://paleomagonline.com/paleo-christmas-menu-2015/

All the best Jan
    santa
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Sat Dec 19 2015, 11:17

Low carb Christmas food ideas - Page 2 Salmon%2Bcrepes

If you are looking for a nice lighter lunch or tea over the Christmas Season, how about these Salmon and Asparagus Crepes ?

Ingredients
    200 Grams of ricotta cheese
    3 eggs
    I teaspoon of cinnamon
    A splash of milk

Method
    Mix the cheese, eggs and cinnamon into a small mixing bowl. Add a splash of milk if the mix is too thick to run freely.
    Place a small knob of butter into a frying pan, I use a small omelette pan 8". Heat the butter and spoon in 3 table spoons of mix. Fry until firm then turn over and cook for one minute or until the crepe is starting to brown.
    This mix makes between 6 and 8 crepes.
    Allow to cool and fill with salmon and asparagus tips, whatever you like.
    Roll up the crepe and enjoy.

The crepes are also great a base for a dessert, warmed up with a scoop of low carb ice cream, berries and double cream.

Please note... these crepes do not taste of cheese.

Hope you may give them a try soon

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Thu Nov 24 2016, 09:42

Low carb Christmas food ideas - Page 2 Green%2BBeans%2Bwith%2BGarlic%2Band%2BAlmonds

Green Beans with Garlic and Almonds

Who doesn't like green beans? I do! Now, if you also like them, why not give this recipe idea a try ... it certainly gives a wonderfully green, crispy and crunchy low-carb side dish. Green beans always go great with a nice Sunday roast, or perhaps your Christmas turkey!

Ingredients
    Serves Six
    (7 g carbs per serving)
    4 garlic cloves
    3 tablespoons butter
    3 tablespoons olive oil
    700 g fresh green beans
    ½ teaspoon sea salt
    ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
    80 ml almonds, chopped

Tip: Fresh, thin green beans are best to use here, but you can of course use frozen beans as well. Make sure they are thawed and dry when you fry them, or the frying pan will get cold and they will be boiled instead of sautéd.

Please see recipe instructions at Diet Doctor site here
    https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/green-beans-garlic-almonds

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Sat Dec 03 2016, 14:51

Fruit Cake A Low Carb Alternative : Could be just right for Christmas!

Low carb Christmas food ideas - Page 2 Fruit-cake

For this lovely cake here are the ingredients you need:

170g Cranberries (dried)
    ½ cup Rum/brandy/gin
    ½ cup chopped Nuts (walnuts, Brazil)
    1½ cups Almond meal
    1 tbsp Natvia (or sweetener of your choice)
    1 tsp Cinnamon
    1 tsp Mixed spice
    ½ tsp Baking soda
    ¼ cup Butter
    1 tsp Vanilla essence
    1 tbsp Almond essence
    4 Eggs
    4 tbsp rum (extra)

Icing
    ½ cup Mascarpone cheese
    1 tbsp Rum or brandy

Instructions - read more here
    http://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.co.uk/2015/10/fruit-cake-low-carb-alternative-could.html

All the best Jan
    santa
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Thu Dec 15 2016, 17:21

Chocolate Mess With Berries and Cream

Low carb Christmas food ideas - Page 2 Lowcarbfruitmesswithcream

Couldn't you just tuck in! This dish contains some dark chocolate cake, whipped cream, nuts and berries. You may think it contains a lot of carbs - well you'd be wrong. It's actually 9g carb per serving. I think a low carb dessert like this could be a huge success on any festive, or special occasion... Yum!

You could always try it out this weekend in preparation for the Christmas or New Year festivities ... now there's a thought!

Ingredients:
    Serves Four
    9g carb per serving

240 ml mixed berries
    ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
    2 tablespoons lime juice
    ¼ dark chocolate cake
    30 g pecan nuts, chopped
    2 tablespoons roasted unsweetened coconut chips
    240 ml heavy (double) whipping cream or crème fraiche

Dark chocolate cake
    250 g dark chocolate with a minimum of 70% cocoa solids
    150 g butter
    5 eggs
    1 pinch salt
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Instructions, including how to make the dark chocolate cake, can be found here
    https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/low-carb-chocolate-mess-berries-cream

All the best Jan

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28 2024, 16:02