THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

3 posters

Magnesium cuts diabetes risk

graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Magnesium cuts diabetes risk Empty Magnesium cuts diabetes risk

Post by graham64 Thu Oct 23 2014, 21:43

Getting enough magnesium in the diet may reduce the risk of diabetes, especially for those who already show signs of heading that way.

A Tufts study led by Adela Hruby, N10, MPH10, N13, found that healthy people with the highest magnesium intake were 37 percent less likely to develop high blood sugar or excess circulating insulin, common precursors to diabetes.
    Among people who already had those conditions, those who consumed the most magnesium were 32 percent less likely to develop diabetes than those consuming the least.
    The second association held true even when researchers accounted for other healthful factors, such as fiber, that often go along with magnesium-rich foods.
    The study, published in Diabetes Care, followed 2,582 participants in the Framingham Heart Study Offspring cohort for seven years. The study subjects had an average age of 54.
    Only half of Americans get the recommended daily amount of magnesium in their diet, which is 400 to 420 milligrams for adult men and 310 to 320 milligrams for adult women. You can find it in whole grains, vegetables, fish, nuts and seeds and dark chocolate.

http://medicalxpress.com/news/2014-10-magnesium-diabetes.html#ajTabs

We also need to keep our magnesium levels up but give the whole grains  a miss No
    carty

Magnesium cuts diabetes risk Empty Re: Magnesium cuts diabetes risk

Post by carty Fri Oct 24 2014, 11:53

I have high serum calcium levels and after some research decided to try magnesium I had a telephone confrontation sorry. consultation with my GP he did some research and said that a percentage of diabetic s had low magnesium levels ,but he wouldn't prescribe them for me I bought my own and although I haven't had a calcium test yet I certainly have .more energy
    CAROL
    zand
    zand

Female Posts : 1940

Post by zand Fri Oct 24 2014, 13:34

I went to a naturopath, maybe 5 years ago, and she found I had low magnesium levels and gave me a supplement. I read about atrial fibrillation which I had developed around then and found this could be linked to doing strenuous activity whilst having low magnesium levels. The thing that triggered the AF, I am sure, was shovelling a lot of snow from the drive. I was diagnosed with type 2 two years after this. If I get leg cramps I take a top-up of magnesium which usually stops the cramps.

I bought several bars of dark chocolate in Belgium - for medicinal purposes. Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29 2024, 06:51