THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

3 posters

Lancet: Aspirin only works if it is the right dose for your weight

Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Lancet: Aspirin only works if it is the right dose for your weight Empty Lancet: Aspirin only works if it is the right dose for your weight

Post by Jan1 Sat Aug 11 2018, 11:33

"Low dose aspirin 75-100mg daily are only effective in reducing cardiovascular events in those who weigh less than 70kg found researcher Peter Rothwell.  This is the dose range used in the UK and the USA but 80% of all men and 50% of all women weigh more than 70kg.

Higher doses of aspirin are only effective for cardiovascular prevention in those over 70 kg and don’t work in those who weigh less than this. Therefore recommending the higher dose range won’t suit everyone either.

Some people also use aspirin to reduce the chances of other diseases such as colorectal cancer. The effects are thought to be dose related as well.

The take home message is that if you weigh less than 70kg stick to 75-100mg of aspirin a day, but if you weigh 70kg or over you should increase your dosage. For most people in the UK this will mean doubling up on 75mg to 150mg and in the USA where 82.5 mg is standard, upping this to 165mg daily."

Lancet doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(18)31133-4

Posted by Dr Katharine Morrison on The Diabetes Diet Blog recently
    https://diabetesdietblog.com/2018/08/10/lancet-aspirin-only-works-if-it-is-the-right-dose-for-your-weight/

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Lancet: Aspirin only works if it is the right dose for your weight Empty Re: Lancet: Aspirin only works if it is the right dose for your weight

Post by chris c Sat Aug 11 2018, 22:35

I discovered that aspirin caused tinnitus some years ago, so I avoided it. Ibuprofen was similar but less pronounced. Even ketoprofen ointment applied to my shoulder would induce it.

Then I was persuaded by an otherwise clueful vascular surgeon to go back on a low dose aspirin. Disaster! The tinnitus is now permanent.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Lancet: Aspirin only works if it is the right dose for your weight Empty Re: Lancet: Aspirin only works if it is the right dose for your weight

Post by Jan1 Sun Aug 12 2018, 18:10

chris c wrote:I discovered that aspirin caused tinnitus some years ago, so I avoided it. Ibuprofen was similar but less pronounced. Even ketoprofen ointment applied to my shoulder would induce it.

Then I was persuaded by an otherwise clueful vascular surgeon to go back on a low dose aspirin. Disaster! The tinnitus is now permanent.

Drugs (including aspirin) and Tinnitus...

More information can be found here

https://www.tinnitus.org.uk/drugs

All the best Jan
    Long birder

Post by Long birder Sun Aug 12 2018, 18:47

The trouble with NSAIDs in the elderly they can stop your kidneys working.
    D.
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Mon Aug 13 2018, 22:35

You'll have to speak up, I can't hear you.

Mine was temporary/reversible originally. Someone I knew had a similar response and after ONE dose of a different NSAID her tinnitus also became permanent. It was a listed side effect.

I've also seen a study on hyperinsulinemia and tinnitus, don't know if there is/was an interraction, she was diabetic too.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29 2024, 04:41