The Low Carb Diabetic

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

The ADA

chris c

The ADA

Post by chris c on Thu Jun 28 2018, 23:46

Long ago on usenet, when someone pointed out that the ADA told diabetics to "base every meal on starchy carbohydrates", a low carb anti claimed they had never written this.

When someone who had archived the page posted it she was accused of making it up.

Oh look

https://web.archive.org/web/20040203222331/http://www.diabetes.org/nutrition-and-recipes/nutrition/starches.jsp

eventually they removed links to the page but it was still on the server and could be found for years if you knew the URL. Eventually they took it down completely.

Then they got more subtle. Instead of stating that diabetics must eat three meals of 45 - 60g carbs and three snacks of 15 - 30g, they gave limits on calories, fat and protein. When someone back-calculated by subtracting the carbs and fat from the calories they came up with exactly the same quantity of carbs.

Times have eventually changed

https://www.diabetesdaily.com/blog/very-low-carbohydrate-diets-for-diabetes-ada-2018-580309/
    yoly

Re: The ADA

Post by yoly on Fri Jun 29 2018, 12:48

Just not to admit the high carb advice they still dish out, the code word now is "individualize" diet advice. Just the same bad advice now but just under the cover of doing the best for each individual.
    chris c

Post by chris c on Fri Jun 29 2018, 22:22

And still ignoring all the "anecdotes" in their very own forums, some of which even blow the Virta results into the weeds. 5 - 8% reduction in A1c was commonplace, I've seen up to 13% - yes from an A1c over 18 to below 6.

I don't go there any more, I stopped when it was taking more than a day to read a day's worth of posts. That's how much data they are ignoring.
    graham64

Male Posts : 3488

Post by graham64 on Fri Jun 29 2018, 22:29

That's a big turnaround for the ADA, that said it's hard to ignore the gathering momentum of low carb for diabetes. Now all we need is for DUK to follow the same route but I'm not holding my breath on that  Neutral

Proving the LowCarb sceptics wrong for over ten years

Not all cherubs are Angels  Wink nor all diabetics Bonkers  Rolling Eyes
    chris c

Post by chris c on Fri Jun 29 2018, 22:32

Well they are making noises, but so far very quiet ones, and the trolls are doubling down.
    graham64

Male Posts : 3488

Post by graham64 on Fri Jun 29 2018, 23:21

@chris c wrote:Well they are making noises, but so far very quiet ones, and the trolls are doubling down.

Finally I understand psychology of trolls. Called gaslighting

https://twitter.com/ProfTimNoakes/status/1011276918702800897

Proving the LowCarb sceptics wrong for over ten years

Not all cherubs are Angels  Wink nor all diabetics Bonkers  Rolling Eyes
    chris c

Post by chris c on Mon Jul 02 2018, 22:52

That's part of it, narcissism is also IMO a big factor - if I emulate the opinions of "experts" people will think I am one - and I am sure some of them are sponsored. Not only by money but by ideology.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Jul 19 2018, 06:25