THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

3 posters

Ketogenic Diets for Migraines

Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Ketogenic Diets for Migraines  Empty Ketogenic Diets for Migraines

Post by Jan1 Wed Jun 13 2018, 12:11

This article is from Amy Berger at Tuit Nutrition blog:

"Do you or someone you know suffer from migraines?

If so, then you know these debilitating attacks are far more than mere headaches. In addition to severe, throbbing pain, migraines often also involve visual disturbances, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, extreme sensitivity to sound, light, touch and smell, and tingling or numbness in the extremities or face.

As many as 25% of migraine sufferers experience a visual phenomenon called an aura. Attacks typically last between 4 and 72 hours and in 15-20% of cases, the head pain is preceded by the other neurological symptoms.

Because migraines are increasingly recognized as neurological in origin, it’s possible ketogenic diets may have a therapeutic effect for people afflicted with these attacks. Ketogenic diets exert their effects via several mechanisms that induce multiple biochemical changes in the body and brain that improve neurological function. Some of the mechanisms that are beneficial for various neurological disorders may also make them effective for migraines.

Clinical trial data studying the efficacy of keto for migraines is limited, but anecdotes and personal accounts abound on the low carb and keto interwebs. Some people who start LCHF or ketogenic diets for fat loss or other reasons are pleasantly surprised to find an unexpected “side effect” of keto is reduction in severity and frequency of migraines, or in some cases, total remission. Nice!

As I mentioned in a post not long ago, I’ve joined the writing team at Martina Slajerova’s KetoDiet site. I wrote a post there on keto for migraines, so if you’d like to get the details on why and how keto might be beneficial for migraine sufferers, head on over and check it out: Can the Ketogenic Diet Help with Migraines? It’s fully referenced in case you’d like to look at any of the relevant studies and dig into the mechanisms at work.

Please feel free to send the link to friends and family who suffer from migraines and have not experienced relief with conventional medications, or who have not been able to identify dietary or environmental triggers for their migraines. They might consider giving keto a try. If it doesn’t work, it doesn’t work, but it’s definitely worth trialing for a few months. They have nothing to lose except their morning bagel or muffin—and possibly their migraines.

The link: Can the Ketogenic Diet Help with Migraines?"
    https://ketodietapp.com/Blog/lchf/can-the-ketogenic-diet-help-with-migraines

Amy Berger's blog is here
    www.tuitnutrition.com/

All the best Jan
    Long birder

Ketogenic Diets for Migraines  Empty Re: Ketogenic Diets for Migraines

Post by Long birder Wed Jun 13 2018, 19:00

Jan1 wrote:This article is from Amy Berger at Tuit Nutrition blog:

"Do you or someone you know suffer from migraines?

If so, then you know these debilitating attacks are far more than mere headaches. In addition to severe, throbbing pain, migraines often also involve visual disturbances, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, extreme sensitivity to sound, light, touch and smell, and tingling or numbness in the extremities or face.

As many as 25% of migraine sufferers experience a visual phenomenon called an aura. Attacks typically last between 4 and 72 hours and in 15-20% of cases, the head pain is preceded by the other neurological symptoms.

Because migraines are increasingly recognized as neurological in origin, it’s possible ketogenic diets may have a therapeutic effect for people afflicted with these attacks. Ketogenic diets exert their effects via several mechanisms that induce multiple biochemical changes in the body and brain that improve neurological function. Some of the mechanisms that are beneficial for various neurological disorders may also make them effective for migraines.

Clinical trial data studying the efficacy of keto for migraines is limited, but anecdotes and personal accounts abound on the low carb and keto interwebs. Some people who start LCHF or ketogenic diets for fat loss or other reasons are pleasantly surprised to find an unexpected “side effect” of keto is reduction in severity and frequency of migraines, or in some cases, total remission. Nice!

As I mentioned in a post not long ago, I’ve joined the writing team at Martina Slajerova’s KetoDiet site. I wrote a post there on keto for migraines, so if you’d like to get the details on why and how keto might be beneficial for migraine sufferers, head on over and check it out: Can the Ketogenic Diet Help with Migraines? It’s fully referenced in case you’d like to look at any of the relevant studies and dig into the mechanisms at work.

Please feel free to send the link to friends and family who suffer from migraines and have not experienced relief with conventional medications, or who have not been able to identify dietary or environmental triggers for their migraines. They might consider giving keto a try. If it doesn’t work, it doesn’t work, but it’s definitely worth trialing for a few months. They have nothing to lose except their morning bagel or muffin—and possibly their migraines.

The link: Can the Ketogenic Diet Help with Migraines?"
    https://ketodietapp.com/Blog/lchf/can-the-ketogenic-diet-help-with-migraines

Amy Berger's blog is here
    www.tuitnutrition.com/

All the best Jan

Have had late onset migraine auras Jan. Particularly bad this year but cutting out carbs was not the problem. I suspect I overdosed on Tyramine so I have cut out high tyramine foods and not had one for nearly three weeks. The headache is mild it the problem with zigzag lightning that stops one driving and one can't read or watch television for day or two.
    But medicine to treat or prevent is worse than the migraine.
    regards
    Derek
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Wed Jun 13 2018, 21:42

My comment on her blog was anonymous, but I used to get them, rarely and comparatively mild but always with the visuals, usually pastel coloured flickering around the edges of my visual field, followed by a clamp being applied to my head, and external noises becoming very loud and located on the surface of my ears. The good news is that I never got "ordinary" headaches, which I considered a fair trade-off.

Haven't had a one since going low carb. Well except when reading dieticians and other trolls on Twitter . . .

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19 2024, 18:07