THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

+2
Andy12345
mo1905
6 posters

Burger Recipe Ideas

Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Burger Recipe Ideas   Empty Burger Recipe Ideas

Post by Jan1 Wed Oct 08 2014, 15:47

Burger Recipe Ideas   Recipe-image-legacy-id--1035715_11

This original recipe idea comes from BBC Good Food way back in 2006 but it still stands good. But please throw away the bread rolls and use a portobello mushroom in their place or just plain burgers are nice.

Ingredients

1 small onion
    500g good-quality beef mince
    1 egg
    1 tbsp vegetable oil
    4 burger buns (use portobello mushroom instead)

All or any of the following to serve: sliced tomato, beetroot, horseradish sauce, mayonnaise, ketchup, handful iceberg lettuce, rocket, watercress

Method

Peel the onion, slice in half through the root and trim off the top. Place cutside down on a chopping board. With your knife parallel to the board, cut 3 slices through the onion, keeping the root intact. With the knife point at root end, cut down through the onion from top to bottom 4 times. Holding the root end, finely slice to give you small diced pieces. Tip the beef into a bowl with the onion and egg, then mix.

Divide the mixture into four. Lightly wet your hands. Carefully roll the mixture into balls, each about the size of a tennis ball. Set in the palm of your hand and gently squeeze down to flatten into patties about 3cm thick. Make sure all the burgers are the same thickness so that they will cook evenly. Put on a plate, cover with cling film and leave in the fridge to firm up for at least 30 mins.

If using a BBQ: Heat the barbecue to medium hot (there will be white ash over the red hot coals – about 40 mins after lighting). Lightly brush 1 side of each burger with oil. Place the burgers, oil-side down, on the barbecue. Cook for 5 mins until the meat is lightly charred. Don’t move them around or they may stick. Oil the other side, then turn over using tongs. Don’t press down on the meat, as that will squeeze out the juices. Cook for 5 mins more for medium. If you like your burgers pink in the middle, cook 1 min less each side. For well done, cook 1 min more.

If using a grill:Heat to medium heat and cook same as for BBQ above

Take the burgers off the barbecue or grill. Leave to rest on a plate so that all the juices can settle inside. If you are a low carber do not place a burger inside each bun, because you will use of course use a portobello mushroom, or eat it as a plain burger with a mixed salad or similar. If using a portobello mushroom I usually cook mine in a pre heated oven at 180 for about 15 minutes.

But before serving any foods check they are properly cooked all through.

Enjoy - has anyone else got some good burger recipes to share?  Smile

All the best Jan
    mo1905
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2305

Burger Recipe Ideas   Empty Re: Burger Recipe Ideas

Post by mo1905 Wed Oct 08 2014, 18:57

They look lovely Jan. I quite like lamb & mint burgers now.
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Male Posts : 1646

Post by Andy12345 Wed Oct 08 2014, 19:17

looks yummy thankyou Smile

i cant remember the name of the person i was talking about the bubble the other day, but if you read this, its 50g butter 50g cheese not 200g doh! sorry
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Wed Oct 08 2014, 21:20

Andy12345 wrote:

i cant remember the name of the person i was talking about the bubble the other day, but if you read this, its 50g butter 50g cheese not 200g doh! sorry

I think it was to Benny Boy on the Low Carb Vegetables Topic ?

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Sun Oct 12 2014, 22:13

Burger Recipe Ideas   Recipe-image-legacy-id--684485_11

Many years ago I guess if you were eating a burger it had to be beef, and all pictures showed bread as the above one does ...but please ditch the bread !

For a change how about this Lamb Burger Recipe.

Rosemary and Garlic Lamb Burgers
    Serves 8

For the burgers:
    2 garlic cloves, chopped
    4 tsp finely chopped rosemary needles
    1kg lamb mince

To serve:
    3 red onions,sliced and tossed with 1 tbsp each balsamic vinegar and olive oil
    sliced tomatoes
    good handful rocket

Method:
    Crush the garlic, rosemary, 1 tsp salt and ½ -1 tsp pepper with a pestle and mortar to make a paste. Add to the lamb and mix in well with your hands. Don’t overwork the meat or you will toughen it.
    Divide the mixture into 8, then shape into round burgers. If eating now, heat a grill (or barbecue) and cook for about 8-10 mins, turning frequently, until cooked to your liking.

When cooked eat the burgers with the balsamic onions, tomatoes and rocket.

Although some may have their burgers with bread Evil or Very Mad I would serve mine with extra salad or other low carb side dish of your choice.

Original recipe idea from BBC Good Food Guide and adapted to suit,

Burgers to be enjoyed at any time of year.

All the best Jan
    mo1905
    mo1905

Post by mo1905 Sun Oct 12 2014, 22:16

Looks lovely Jan. I think I prefer lamb & mint burger but easy to do I guess, just swap with the rosemary.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Sun Oct 12 2014, 22:26

mo1905 wrote:Looks lovely Jan. I think I prefer lamb & mint burger but easy to do I guess, just swap with the rosemary.

Yes I think lamb and mint or lamb and rosemary would work.

It's just occurred to me the times we have roast lamb it's always sprinkled with rosemary, perhaps I prefer it to mint, but with any food it always comes down to individual choices and tastes. That's what is great about eating whole fresh foods. sunny

All the best Jan
    zand
    zand

Female Posts : 1940

Post by zand Mon Oct 13 2014, 07:25

Jan1 wrote:
    mo1905 wrote:Looks lovely Jan. I think I prefer lamb & mint burger but easy to do I guess, just swap with the rosemary.

Yes I think lamb and mint or lamb and rosemary would work.

It's just occurred to me the times we have roast lamb it's always sprinkled with rosemary, perhaps I prefer it to mint, but with any food it always comes down to individual choices and tastes. That's what is great about eating whole fresh foods. sunny

All the best Jan

Lamb is the next meat I am going to try to like. I haven't eaten it since I was a child, but I love burgers, maybe I'll start with these and see how I get on. Smile
    cold ethyl

Post by cold ethyl Mon Oct 13 2014, 14:43

I don't bother with an egg, though it can make it trickier to cook without crumbling as I eat too many as it is.
    I fry a small finely chopped onion and clove crushed garlic till lightly browned. Allow to cool then add to whatever mince you like. I use beef or turkey for this - not the leanest ones as you need the fat to keep it moist- in fact I often add a splash of olive oil to the turkey mince. Then I add whatever spices I fancy- at the minute it's cumin and a big splash or two of hot pepper sauce. Season and mix well with hands to blend. You need to scrunch the mince to break it down a bit. Shape into burger sized patties and chill in fridge till firm. Heat griddle pan, spray with oil and cook through till not bloody. It us important to cook mince right through as risk of e-cold contamination. When nearly cooked top with half slice cheese- I've been using a cheddar slice with jalapeños in it as it has a bit of kick to it. Serve on top of baked portabello mushrooms with salad a d homemade coleslaw. Yummy.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Mon Oct 13 2014, 17:50

@cold ethyl ...... reads and sounds a good recipe. I have also read others don't always use an egg, the secret is don't be afraid to use NOT the leanest of mince. Don't fear fat as the saying goes but embrace it especially when cooking burgers.

Dare I say it turkey burgers are great for using any turkey left over from Christmas (Did I really mention Christmas EEK) affraid  

You love your jalapenos Smile

All the best Jan
    carty

Post by carty Tue Oct 14 2014, 14:41

My lamb burgers are similar but a tip from a butcher ,add just a splash of cold water to the mince and work briefly with your hands before adding finely chopped garlic ,chilli and onion and finely chopped fresh mint .I season with a veg stock cube ,another tip I learned in my long life! is to turn the burgers about every 20 second s so that they cook through without burning the outsized
    CAROL
    mo1905
    mo1905

Post by mo1905 Tue Oct 14 2014, 14:50

Thanks Carty. They're one of my favourites although I quite like the outside a little crispy and well done :-)
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Sat Oct 18 2014, 16:06

Low Carb Bacon, Mushroom, Cheeseburger lettuce wraps.

Now how about this for a fantastic burger recipe idea. It isn't mine .... it's Carolyn's at the 'All Day I Dream About Food Blog.' Carolyn is a writer a runner, a mother and a diabetic.

This is what it looks like and link to her blog below.

Burger Recipe Ideas   Bacon-mushroom-cheeseburger-lettuce-wraps-3

"Take your favourite fast food meal and make it low carb and healthy simply by wrapping it in lettuce. I used my favorite cheeseburger and turned it into a quick, easy low carb dinner recipe."

http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/

Looks very tasty to me  sunny

All the best Jan
    mo1905
    mo1905

Post by mo1905 Sat Oct 18 2014, 17:53

That looks proper tasty Jan !
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Thu Apr 02 2015, 19:20

Burger Recipe Ideas   Beefburger+and+leeks

Well it may be nice to prepare, cook, eat and enjoy the worlds finest steaks, or the worlds freshest line caught fish, but I recently prepared, cooked and ate a gourmet beef burger! Well I thought it was pretty gourmet … Gordon Ramsey … may not agree, but if you‘re interested I‘ll share this easy recipe with you - and feel free to amend it slightly. For example you may wish to add a teaspoon of mustard to the recipe or use different herbs ..the choice is yours. That‘s the delight of cooking you can explore, invent, mix up the ingredients to better suit your palate. But here’s what I did.  

Serves Two Decent Sized Burgers

250/300 gram lean minced beef
    1 red onion chopped
    1 egg yolk
    1 - 2 tsp olive oil
    1 tsp dried mixed herbs *
    Salt and pepper to season

* I used dried herbs but if you have fresh ones even better

Simple Method

Just place all the ingredients in a mixing bowl, then stir very well making sure it is well mixed. Using your hands divide the mix and shape into two equal sized burgers. Place on a baking tray and cook in a pre-heated oven at 200 or Gas Mark 6 for approx 30 minutes. All ovens vary so check burgers at about 20 minutes and adjust cooking time as necessary. When cooking burgers in the oven it may be an idea to grease or line your baking tray …. helps with the washing up afterwards!

Optional

You can either have plain burgers or why not put some stilton cheese on top of the burgers, for the last 10 minutes of cooking and let it melt - it makes the burgers that extra delicious.

We enjoyed this dish served with some mushrooms cooked in butter, I use a small frying pan, with melted butter and cook on top of the hob. For the cheesy leeks, I just sliced up two leeks (wash them first) placed them in a small ovenproof dish. Covered them with double cream and cooked in the oven for approx 15 minutes. Take leeks out of oven and sprinkle with some grated cheddar cheese, return to oven for further 5 minutes or until the cheese has melted and it’s a slight golden brown colour - the leeks should be just soft.

I’m very much an amateur chef … but I like to share recipes and ideas … and of course I wouldn‘t dream of serving these burgers in a bun. This Forum is LCHF !

Happy Cooking

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Fri May 22 2015, 19:19

Jan1 wrote:Low Carb Bacon, Mushroom, Cheeseburger lettuce wraps.

Now how about this for a fantastic burger recipe idea. It isn't mine .... it's Carolyn's at the 'All Day I Dream About Food Blog.' Carolyn is a writer a runner, a mother and a diabetic.

This is what it looks like and link to her blog below.

Burger Recipe Ideas   Bacon-mushroom-cheeseburger-lettuce-wraps-3

"Take your favourite fast food meal and make it low carb and healthy simply by wrapping it in lettuce. I used my favorite cheeseburger and turned it into a quick, easy low carb dinner recipe."

http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/

Looks very tasty to me  sunny

All the best Jan

Hey it's Bank Holiday Weekend .... if you have a BBQ why not give these burgers a try?

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Sat Nov 07 2015, 09:37

Burger Recipe Ideas   Turkey-burgers

Turkey Burgers – Low Carb

The secret of a good turkey burger (or any burger, come to think of it) is plenty of seasoning and this recipe certainly delivers. For added oomph, you could add in some dried chilli flakes but you will probably find you get a nice little kick from the ground black pepper.

Ingredients
    Serves 2 - 4
    500g turkey mince
    1 small onion, very finely chopped
    2 cloves garlic, crushed
    1tbsp freshly grated ginger
    1tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
    2tbsp Soy or Tamari sauce
    2tbsp finely chopped parsley
    1tbsp freshly ground black pepper

Method
    Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees C.
    Put all the ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix well. It’s easiest to do this with your hands – cleaned of course. You’ll get a fairly wet mixture.
    Shape into four burgers and place on a baking tray. Cook in the oven for 20-25 minutes, turning the burgers over half-way through. You want them to be nicely browned.
    Serve with a big salad and some cooked vegetables. Glass of Fizz optional…

Each burger has roughly 6g of carbs and 2g of fibre

Picture and recipe idea from Emma here

http://diabetesdietblog.com/

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Fri Aug 26 2016, 00:09

Apparently the 25th August is known as 'National Burger Day'

If like me you didn't realise this until too late !
    How about celebrating this weekend with a lovely burger ?

Burger Recipe Ideas   LEA_6378-320x214

Portobello BLT Sandwiches - Look Mum No Bun !

This sandwich is a very tasty and interesting alternative to the traditional BLT sandwich.

Servings: 2
    Equipment: Large Skillet /Frying Pan

Ingredients:
    6 bacon rashers
    1 small tomato, sliced
    1 cup romaine lettuce leaves, torn into small pieces
    1 small vidalia onion, halved and thinly sliced
    1 TB lard
    4 large portobello mushrooms, stems removed
    2 TB (Paleo) mayonnaise
    sea salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
    Heat skillet/pan to medium and add lard to melt.
    Add bacon rashers and fry until crisp, then remove, place on paper towels to remove excess fat and then chop.
    Reduce heat to low, add portobello mushrooms stemmed side down and sauté for 3 minutes.
    Let cool, arrange chopped bacon, tomato, romaine, onion and mayonnaise on top of one mushroom.
    Top with second mushroom.

Enjoy this great tasting food. Ideal for lunch or a snack ... and who needs a bun?

Original Recipe Idea from Chris Kresser Here
    https://chriskresser.com/recipe-portobello-blt-sandwiches/

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Tue May 16 2017, 19:14

Burger Recipe Ideas   Beefburger%2Band%2Bleeks.2JPG

You may have already seen this on this thread, and elsewhere, but I thought it worth posting again

Gourmet Burger Anyone  Smile

Serves Two Decent Sized Burgers
    250/300 gram lean minced beef
    1 red onion chopped
    1 egg yolk
    1 - 2 tsp olive oil
    1 tsp dried mixed herbs *
    Salt and pepper to season

* I used dried herbs but if you have fresh ones even better

Simple Method
    1. Just place all the ingredients in a mixing bowl, then stir very well making sure it is well mixed.
    2. Using your hands divide the mix and shape into two equal sized burgers.
    3. Place on a baking tray and cook in a pre-heated oven at 200 or Gas Mark 6 for approx. 30 minutes. All ovens vary so check burgers at about 20 minutes and adjust cooking time as necessary. When cooking burgers in the oven it may be an idea to grease or line your baking tray ... helps with the washing up afterwards!

Just a thought - Optional
    Some may like to sauté the onion first in oil or butter, then add it to the mince mixture

You can either have plain burgers or why not put some stilton cheese on top of the burgers, for the last 10 minutes of cooking and let it melt - it makes the burgers that extra delicious.

We enjoyed this dish served with some mushrooms cooked in butter, I use a small frying pan, with melted butter and cook on top of the hob.

For the cheesy leeks, I just sliced up two leeks (wash them first) placed them in a small ovenproof dish. Covered them with double cream and cooked in the oven for approx. 15 minutes. Take leeks out of oven and sprinkle with some grated cheddar cheese, return to oven for further 5 minutes or until the cheese has melted and it’s a slight golden brown colour - the leeks should be just soft.

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Fri Jun 23 2017, 20:35

Bacon Wrapped Burgers

Burger Recipe Ideas   DD-443-baconburger-1200x800

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Thu Aug 31 2017, 22:46

Bacon Cheeseburger Casserole

Burger Recipe Ideas   Rsz_keto_bacon_cheeseburger_casserole_4

Burger Recipe Ideas   Rsz_keto_bacon_cheeseburger_casserole_6

Ingredients
    Serves Six
    Beef Layer
    1 onion quartered and sliced
    1 clove garlic crushed
    750 g ground/mince beef
    60 g cream cheese full fat
    3 slices bacon diced
    salt/pepper to taste

Cheats Cheese Sauce
    3 eggs
    125 ml heavy (double) cream
    100 g shredded/grated cheese
    2 tbsp mustard
    2 gherkins/pickles sliced
    salt/pepper to taste
    50 g shredded/grated cheese to sprinkle over

Full recipe and instructions with helpful video here
    http://www.ditchthecarbs.com/2017/08/31/keto-bacon-cheeseburger-casserole/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ditchthecarbs%2Fpkck+%28Ditch+The+Carbs%29

All the best Jan

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28 2024, 17:41