The Low Carb Diabetic

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

Keytones

Long birder

Keytones

Post by Long birder on Thu Apr 26 2018, 15:35

Hi all,
    I am going to reduce carbs further and want to check keytones. Have you guys found a reasonable and reliable way to measure them?
    Not happy with a controlled hba1c of 43 ( no meds) I want to get down to 38 without meds.
    Thanks
    regards to all
    Derek
    yoly

Re: Keytones

Post by yoly on Thu Apr 26 2018, 16:48

The cheapest way is to measure in the urine with ketones strips. They sell over the counter in the USA and can be found in Ebay and Amazon. Is the least precise but it cost much less. There are glucose meters that have special strips to test ketones but they are costly. There is a breath meter that test ketones it cost abut $100 in USA.

Long birder

Post by Long birder on Thu Apr 26 2018, 17:14

@yoly wrote:The cheapest way is to measure in the urine with ketones strips. They sell over the counter in the USA and can be found in Ebay and Amazon. Is the least precise but it cost much less. There are glucose meters that have special strips to test ketones but they are costly. There is a breath meter that test ketones it cost abut $100 in USA.

Thanks Yoly, fortunately I am not a pensioner who is on the 'bread line' as they say in the uk!Smile
    Derek
    Jan1

Female Posts : 4667

Post by Jan1 on Fri Apr 27 2018, 17:10

Hi Derek, I'm sure Graham and Chris will be along to answer your question ...

This article by Martina at Keto Diet Blog may be of interest to you and other readers

Ketosis & Measuring Ketones
    https://ketodietapp.com/Blog/post/2013/11/30/Ketosis-Measuring-Ketones

All the best Jan

Long birder

Post by Long birder on Fri Apr 27 2018, 19:16

@Jan1 wrote:Hi Derek, I'm sure Graham and Chris will be along to answer your question ...

This article by Martina at Keto Diet Blog may be of interest to you and other readers

Ketosis & Measuring Ketones
    https://ketodietapp.com/Blog/post/2013/11/30/Ketosis-Measuring-Ketones

All the best Jan

Thanks Jan,
    I await their experienced opinion on the subject.
    regards
    Derek
    graham64

Male Posts : 3483

Post by graham64 on Fri Apr 27 2018, 22:53

I've never considered testing for ketones so I'm not much help, I do know there are meters for testing for them though how accurate they are I don't really know 

Check out the Glucorx HCT & Ketone Blood Glucose Monitoring System it's reasonably priced might be worth a look

https://www.glucorx.co.uk/our-products/glucorx-hct-meter/

Proving the LowCarb sceptics wrong for over ten years

Not all cherubs are Angels  Wink nor all diabetics Bonkers  Rolling Eyes
    chris c

Post by chris c on Sun Apr 29 2018, 22:37

I use the Mk 1 Nose. I figure that if my pee smells of ketones first thing in the morning but not so much during the rest of the day, then I am generating them at about the same rate that I am using them. The "proof" is how long I go without getting hungry.

The article Jan quoted looks pretty spot on. Urine strips are generally the cheapest but not necessarily the most accurate method but might serve your purposes. At least one of the meters sounds to be fairly accurate for ketones but less so when you use it for glucose, well not compared to other meters.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Jul 17 2018, 12:56