THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

4 posters

I wouldn't normally, but ...

sanguine
    sanguine

Male Posts : 395

I wouldn't normally, but ... Empty I wouldn't normally, but ...

Post by sanguine Mon Oct 06 2014, 16:11

Mrs Sanguine, who is not diabetic but nonetheless low carbs with me, still likes a slice of wholemeal toast with her eggs for breakfast.  So there was me bringing an organic wholemeal loaf back from Waitrose this morning.  She had her slice while I had my bacon and egg, and later my daughter had some toast as well.  So come lunchtime, preparing my tapas selection as usual, there was the crust of this loaf sitting on the bread board, lonely and detached from the rest of the loaf.  I thought, why not for once, so I smothered it in butter and ate it.  No guilt, no cravings for more, it was just nice to do.  It won't happen every day, not even every week.

But I was thinking the other day, what do I really feel about food I used to love and can't generally eat any more, like pizza, curries with rice, cottage pie, Cornish pasties, bacon sandwiches with thick bloomer bread, croissants etc?  I certainly don't feel drawn to the fresh patisserie counter at the supermarket like a moth to a flame, nor do I have to fight off cravings, although I have to be prepared to face that from time to time in the future - forewarned is forearmed of course.  

Actually, I've come to the view that I simply recall with fondness eating and enjoying those foods, but without any longing to do so now.  They are a part of my life that is now past, and I'm now in a different phase of my life where I enjoy different foods - very few of these are new to me, but the regularity of eating them is now of course much changed.  I guess this just reinforces  what is meant by a lifestyle change rather than just a diet.
    mo1905
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2305

I wouldn't normally, but ... Empty Re: I wouldn't normally, but ...

Post by mo1905 Mon Oct 06 2014, 17:06

I used to ( think ) I enjoyed smoking. Even now, I'm sure on special occasions I'd really enjoy a cigarette or cigar but I won't. I'm too weak and I know where it'll lead !
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Post by Jan1 Mon Oct 06 2014, 21:18

Rod said "Mrs Sanguine, who is not diabetic but nonetheless low carbs with me, still likes a slice of wholemeal toast with her eggs for breakfast"

I think that's great that she low carbs with you. Since Eddie went low carb I decided to do the same and have never looked back. I just don't see the need to eat high sugars, carbs, processed foods etc when there is so much great whole fresh food available, with a much better carb count. I eat no more than 50 carbs a day and somedays less.

However, if Mrs S would like to try 'Sainsbury's SO Organic Multiseed Wholemeal Thick Sliced Batch Loaf' speaking as a low carber but not a diabetic I can recommend it. It's 9.5 carbs per slice and I do sometimes have a slice in the morning with my egg.

LCHF is a lifestyle change and it's a good lifestyle...... I'd recommend it sunny

All the best Jan
    graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Post by graham64 Mon Oct 06 2014, 21:29

mo1905 wrote:I used to ( think ) I enjoyed smoking. Even now, I'm sure on special occasions I'd really enjoy a cigarette or cigar but I won't. I'm too weak and I know where it'll lead !

Your avatar doesn't do you any favours Mo, was that a special occasion when your resolve weakened lol!
    mo1905
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2305

Post by mo1905 Mon Oct 06 2014, 21:54

graham64 wrote:
    mo1905 wrote:I used to ( think ) I enjoyed smoking. Even now, I'm sure on special occasions I'd really enjoy a cigarette or cigar but I won't. I'm too weak and I know where it'll lead !

Your avatar doesn't do you any favours Mo, was that a special occasion when your resolve weakened lol!

No comment lol :-)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19 2024, 16:19